AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Heavy Object

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-11-14, 16:06   Link #1281
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Well enough that we're leery of getting too involved. Maybe the situation in HO's world is different enough that it's a more viable strategy, there. Besides, what else are they going to do?
Yeah, have to consider that this isn't our world here. Their world situation is dramatically different. It's entirely plausible that this move would be more effective where they are. And true enough that it isn't like Oceania has many options. A dictator addicted to power will make even the most horrific of moves if it means a possibility of retaining his power.
Old 2015-11-14, 17:25   Link #1282
RDNexus

Guys... Today's Fairy Tail reminded me of something important regarding fiction...
It's Fiction! No need to think deep!
Old 2015-11-14, 17:39   Link #1283
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
Guys... Today's Fairy Tail reminded me of something important regarding fiction...
Huh. I bet that's exactly what the author was thinking!
Old 2015-11-14, 18:12   Link #1284
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

If we limit discussions to only the deepest artistic shows, we'll have very little to talk about, ever.
Old 2015-11-14, 18:16   Link #1285
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I don't think a show needs to be super deep to qualify for discussions about it.
It's the MST3K Mantra, but it usually applies to the smaller stuff. Given that it seems like the author wanted Oceania to be TOTALLY REALLY BAD, GUYS!, but didn't actually want to put any thought into it, I'm nor sure if its relevant.
Old 2015-11-14, 19:55   Link #1286
The 48th Ronin

So Qwenthur has an armpit fetish?
Old 2015-11-14, 20:47   Link #1287
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrick View Post
- True, but the reason most people think too deeply about fiction is because it is something they can control. They can argue that their interpretation of fiction is right and everyone else's doesn't matter, because they can control what they think and feel about fictional things and they will not suffer anything as a result. They have full control over how they can react over fiction.

Not like in real life.
Old 2015-11-14, 23:44   Link #1288
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
So Qwenthur has an armpit fetish?
For some reason, I got the impression Hevia was jealous of Seawax when he was watching the interrogation...

Speaking of Seawax, he may actually be one of the best characters we've seen thus far, from a literary perspective.
Old 2015-11-15, 02:04   Link #1289
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Episode 7:
If Seewax didn't intervene, the casualty would be less than expected. It's sad that those villagers die without pushing the Oceanean army away even though Qwenthur and Havia helped them.

Meanwhile, I'm curious to see what's next for those two boys now that they're heading toward Tanami Desert for the enemy Object. On the other hand, I wonder if Objects are still using nuclear reactors?
Old 2015-11-15, 04:18   Link #1290
SuitUp
¡Gracias Totales!

Quote:
"If you just mind your own business, civilians wouldn't have die."
Quote:
"But the only reason why they would do that is because the Coalition had forced their hands! If they didn't invade this wouldn't have happened! In the first place why is the government meddling in the affairs of other countries!?"
You say nobody would buy that logic, but have you seen youtube comments ?
The point is they're clearly desperate- they're not going to win in an open fight so they'll try anything. Everyone already hates them anyway.
And, once again, how does a goverment killing it's own citizens makes a point for them to be left alone!? That only makes the outcry for them to be stopped so much bigger, the "if this guys hadn't done that, I wouldn't have to do that other things" has never worked for any side of any war, ever.
Frolaytia whole train of thought is remarkably stupid, and the worst part is that the show sells it as a verbal beatdown on the reporter (who by the way, is stupidier than Frolaytia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Basically, Oceania would've made it look like the coalition was using the natives as human shields.
Nononono, don't you try and fix the show's retarded argument, what you're saying would have actually made sense, Oceania should have tried to frame one of the powers of the coalition of the killings and that would cause some sort of negative effect on the coalition, but, how does the dictator's goverment killing it's own citizens and making no effort to disguise it as something else helps them in putting the public opinion on their side!?
Old 2015-11-15, 04:33   Link #1291
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuitUp View Post
And, once again, how does a goverment killing it's own citizens makes a point for them to be left alone!?
- Mainly the argument is "They're only killing themselves, not killing our citizens, so we shouldn't bother. Let's just mind our own business and pretend it isn't happening. This is why people don't care when people in a foreign country like Beirut are killed by their own people. But when a country's own citizens (or their foreign interests in that country) are in trouble, they take immediate action. Forget the show's logic. Just look at how real human beings act in the real world.

Yes it's stupid. That's how most ordinary humans are when they are put under pressure: they all act stupid.

Okay, so much for subverting the topic. At the end of this story Seawax would be arrested by the civilian government solely on grounds of trying to "make" the news. He would either serve jail time or be pressed into military service (depending on the rules of his country of citizenship). Journalists are technically not supposed to influence the situation they are covering (for or against), and there's also a code of ethics journalists should follow--but in reality this isn't really enforced. Lord knows what he'll do next.

That said, if he becomes a recurring character I'd like to see some character growth out of him.
Old 2015-11-15, 04:36   Link #1292
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
And, once again, how does a goverment killing it's own citizens makes a point for them to be left alone!? That only makes the outcry for them to be stopped so much bigger, the "if this guys hadn't done that, I wouldn't have to do that other things" has never worked for any side of any war, ever.
And yet you know there would be people who would buy that logic because they would get the cause and effect mixed up.

If you think too highly of all people to be that reasonable, there will always be a small but loud percentage of people who would prove you wrong.

"If the invasion didn't happen, they wouldn't resort to doing this"- It's literally a hostage situation, if they don't pull back, more civilians would die- under those circumstances the people might demand for military operations to be halted at least.

Quote:
Frolaytia whole train of thought is remarkably stupid, and the worst part is that the show sells it as a verbal beatdown on the reporter (who by the way, is stupidier than Frolaytia)
Those were not her train of thoughts, those were Oceania's.

She clearly states this is what their crazy gambit might be next.
Old 2015-11-15, 04:41   Link #1293
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
i wonder how would Heavy Object fits in a SRW game?, unless they lamp shaded by giving the Objects space flight capabilities for some reason & could fight toe to toe against Ideon's enemies, or tag team up with Dai-Guard
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2015-11-15, 05:06   Link #1294
wavehawk
Some say I'm the Reverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot's Blade View Post
i wonder how would Heavy Object fits in a SRW game?
- I STILL think Heavy Object is just Kamachi taking the P#@# out of the mecha genre in general.
Old 2015-11-15, 05:25   Link #1295
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

I thought of a new way to frame the situation- It's not about whether Oceania's plan would actually work, I don't think Frolaytia was pushing that it would, it's that they believe in that 1% that it could work and so they're going for it.
Old 2015-11-15, 06:02   Link #1296
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Or that it wouldn't work to stop the invasion, but it would make the politicians in the World Powers who were hoping to use it for PR look bad. A petty reason to massacre civilians, but well, military dictator.
Old 2015-11-15, 07:47   Link #1297
zhangthang

Quote:

Nononono, don't you try and fix the show's retarded argument, what you're saying would have actually made sense, Oceania should have tried to frame one of the powers of the coalition of the killings and that would cause some sort of negative effect on the coalition, but, how does the dictator's goverment killing it's own citizens and making no effort to disguise it as something else helps them in putting the public opinion on their side!?
The main point is the coalition is make of all enemy, one trouble happen they would just try to push the blame on each other and there'll be a high chance that their temporary alliance will break. One the big 4 not ally with each other anymore, they can't do much harm to Oceania because when one of them try to do some thing big, the others would step in the way
Old 2015-11-15, 08:19   Link #1298
Tormenk

Quote:
Not too concerned if the argument for the Oceania side is foolproof but framing it as "because of the Coalition's presence, the local populace has been incited against us. This would not have happen if they hadn't poked their business into our affairs" might sway some of the citizens from the four powers to buy into it. Not entirely convincing but enough for an excuse Oceania to act on their own agenda.

I don't have a solid frame for this but it is reminiscent enough of some real world situations to convince me.

"Are you afraid of change? Or are you afraid to change?"

"Wheel turns, river flows and life goes on."

"Best way to kill a man, is to leave him alone."

"Until you come, until we close our eyes."

Old 2015-11-15, 10:29   Link #1299
Heir of the Void

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Meanwhile, I'm curious to see what's next for those two boys now that they're heading toward Tanami Desert for the enemy Object. On the other hand, I wonder if Objects are still using nuclear reactors?
Fusion is the only thing that would make any sense. If they used chemical fuel, they would need to load up with several hundred thousand tons of kerosene before each fight. Fission wouldn't have that problem (as much...) but building a fission reactor small enough to fit inside an Object's belt armor that could meet the absurd energy demands would be difficult, and probably require the pilot to receive a continuous drip of RadAway.

A fusion system might be able to beat both problems, though it would still produce a ton of waste heat, and the Object seem to be designed against disposing of excess heat effectively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehawk View Post
- I STILL think Heavy Object is just Kamachi taking the P#@# out of the mecha genre in general.
I STILL think Heavy Object is just Kamachi not knowing nearly as much as he thinks he does. That or he's trying to use the Imagine Breaker to suck the fun out of Real Robot instead of Urban Fantasy.
Old 2015-11-15, 11:35   Link #1300
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heir of the Void View Post
I STILL think Heavy Object is just Kamachi not knowing nearly as much as he thinks he does. That or he's trying to use the Imagine Breaker to suck the fun out of Real Robot instead of Urban Fantasy.
It's not as petty as you would like to think.

Kamachi is just trying to do a different take with the genre in his own way.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, comedy, light novel adaptation, mecha, sci-fi