2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-11-13, 18:44   Link #141
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Your numbers assumes all three planets being obediently lined up, but that's not how it works. If you look diagram in this episode you will notice that there is not much difference distance-wise.
That was a best case scenario. Jupiter is 5AU from the Sun, Mars 1.5AU, and Earth, of course, 1. Their non circular orbits take or add a few tenths of AU, but that's all.

There is no configuration where Jupiter isn't horribly out of the way.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-13, 18:50   Link #142
monster

Well, I suppose the key factor is whether this is the only way available to them. If there is no better way to get to Earth, then they can't help taking that detour.

Of course, it would also depend if there is a timetable to be met. If the meeting is simply an open invitation, then they have more time to take the safer route, but if there is a deadline, then they would need to risk danger to get to the meeting on time.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-13, 19:27   Link #143
Irenesharda

Quote:
Your numbers assumes all three planets being obediently lined up, but that's not how it works. If you look diagram in this episode you will notice that there is not much difference distance-wise.
Like Anh said, this is actually not thinking if they even line up, in fact, that would be a great, once and a lifetime thing if it did. No matter where each planet was, their orbital path was still be around that great a distance from each other. In fact if you look at how it was on the map in the episode, they would actually be going way past Earth's orbit to get to Jupiter all the way on the other side at that moment. (Also, there's the fact that that map isn't really drawn to scale.) Which ever way you go, no matter where Jupiter was on its orbit, it was be way out of the way to go all the way there, come back, and then go to Earth. And considering that getting to Earth takes five months in this series in the best case scenario, How much longer would it now take to go to Jupiter and then to Earth? Realistically it makes no sense.

It would be like living in New Jersey and saying that you have to go to New York, but you need a person to guide you on your trip, so you go all the way to Japan to find one and then travel to New York from there. It's a way longer trip considering that Kudelia actually has to meet with this president guy at I'm guessing a scheduled time.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu

Last edited by Irenesharda; 2015-11-13 at 19:41.
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-13, 20:27   Link #144
Skaddix

The Planets were recently all on the same side of the sun which is a pretty rare event.
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-13, 22:36   Link #145
SonicSP
Sonic!I AM SONIC!!!!!

Send a message via MSN to SonicSP
The episode made it pretty clear that their reasoning for looking for Teiwaz was more than navigation. They're not stopping at Jupiter because it happens to be nearby or fast (although the position is still convenient given how the three planets happen to be near compared to most times), even the map in the episode shows it to be out of the way even if we were to stop the planets and made them stand still.

If all they needed was how to get to Earth on a pure navigation basis, they already have the Ariadne system for that, which Fumitan mentioned was one of the functions of the network. Assuming the navigation can be protected/hidden like the encrypted message they sent that is.

Time doesn't seem to be an issue so far, as Kudelia doesn't seem to be particularly concerned. Either that or the current timeframe still acceptable to what she had in mind. The time where she asked "do we really need a guide?" might be also have a possible concern of time of it to it but she seems fine with the current resolution - for the moment.

Last edited by SonicSP; 2015-11-14 at 00:20.
SonicSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-14, 02:57   Link #146
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Like Anh said, this is actually not thinking if they even line up, in fact, that would be a great, once and a lifetime thing if it did. No matter where each planet was, their orbital path was still be around that great a distance from each other. In fact if you look at how it was on the map in the episode, they would actually be going way past Earth's orbit to get to Jupiter all the way on the other side at that moment. (Also, there's the fact that that map isn't really drawn to scale.) Which ever way you go, no matter where Jupiter was on its orbit, it was be way out of the way to go all the way there, come back, and then go to Earth. And considering that getting to Earth takes five months in this series in the best case scenario, How much longer would it now take to go to Jupiter and then to Earth? Realistically it makes no sense.

It would be like living in New Jersey and saying that you have to go to New York, but you need a person to guide you on your trip, so you go all the way to Japan to find one and then travel to New York from there. It's a way longer trip considering that Kudelia actually has to meet with this president guy at I'm guessing a scheduled time.
Putting other things aside, why the hell they should come back to Mars before heading to Earth? That doesn't make any sense.
Old 2015-11-14, 02:58   Link #147
The 48th Ronin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post

Every time. In the end there will be one side that get all butthurt and could even write down the show just because of that.

Maybe the only way world peace could be achieved is a harem ending.
Even that proved to be troublesome, especially with the level of hatred for harem genre these days.

For die-hard shippers, anything less than a victory is not an option.
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-14, 03:03   Link #148
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Putting other things aside, why the hell they should come back to Mars before heading to Earth? That doesn't make any sense.
Yes it does. It's called resupplying.
Old 2015-11-14, 03:04   Link #149
Tenzen12

Because Jupiter has no supplies? Well it would makes sense if position of planet were suitable by time they depart from it I guess.
Old 2015-11-14, 09:19   Link #150
Nicaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post
We don't know what limits Gjallarhorn have but I'd be willing to bet that they are far more limited to things that directly involves the 4 economic blocks on Earth. Gjallarhorn were certainly powerful at the end of the Calamity War but that might not have been sustainable. Only if they have their own economic power base, if they're economically independent, would that be practical. It seems the current situation is that they are the biggest military power (by far) but it's mostly in regards to space and outside of Earth and they depend on others for funding, perhaps.

So I think the Teiwaz connection follows on from this - if Teiwaz are important to an entity that helps fund/support Gjallarhorn then Gjallarhorn would be much more reluctant to attack, even if it's legal for them to do so.

That still means the the Tekkadan need to persuade Teiwaz to take the risk...
I actually thinking that Gjallarhorn will become independent as the story progresses, which gives them more leeway and also confirms them as the enemy faction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
And she has a better chance of surviving. The minute she becomes important she'll be writing her own death sentence.
Well for starters, she's a female in a Gundam universe. I know that the writers aren't exactly going to follow gundam tropes, but she still has a fair chance of dying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
Even that proved to be troublesome, especially with the level of hatred for harem genre these days.

For die-hard shippers, anything less than a victory is not an option.
To be fair, most harems in anime aren't even really harems. So it maybe because of half assed harem endings.
Nicaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-14, 10:50   Link #151
Irenesharda

Quote:
They don't have to go back to Mars, but to get back to Earth, they would be passing Mars' orbit, even if Mars itself isn't there at that particular moment. So, distance-wise, it would be like having to go back to Mars, even if they try to head straight to Earth from Jupiter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicaea View Post
I actually thinking that Gjallarhorn will become independent as the story progresses, which gives them more leeway and also confirms them as the enemy faction.
From what we have seen and read about Gjallarhorn, they have been an independent group since even before the Calamity was centuries ago. They are above Earth and the other Planet Sphere, and they seem to monitor both. From what it seems, their mission is to maintain the peace of the Sol system by whatever means necessary. They also seem to maintain their own budget and standards. Nobliss was going to fund Coral, but that would have been funds separate from what was issued him by Gjallarhorn proper. Honestly if you really think about it, Gjallarhorn right now are not villains, simply antagonists. Coral and some of his ilk some to be the only corrupt ones we've seen so far. McGillis and Gaileo are pretty much Gjallarhorn internal affairs that were sent to inspect Coral's base before approving or disapproving any further funding. Coral was trying to get more money by inciting a rebellion and using that as an excuse.
As of this point Gjallarhorn probably doesn't care so much about the independence of Mars, but more so the upheaval and chaos that would come from such a move. McGillis wants to use Kudelia to prevent this by having her say what they want, which is to dispel the whole movement entirely. This makes sense for Gjallarhorn's overall mission and the big picture for them, but it's not so good for Mars itself.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu

Last edited by Irenesharda; 2015-11-14 at 11:02.
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-14, 12:35   Link #152
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Because Jupiter has no supplies? Well it would makes sense if position of planet were suitable by time they depart from it I guess.
Any supplies they gain at Jupiter will invariably be used in the trip back to Mars if that's closer than Earth at the time. Also, the closer they are to Mars, the more likely they'll run into Gjallarhorn, especially if for some reason Gjallarhorn is in pursuit. So battles will result in further consumption of supplies. So it stands to reason that upon arriving back in the Mars Sphere, they'll want to top off before beginning the journey to Earth.
Old 2015-11-14, 13:08   Link #153
Tenzen12

I don't think in story mentioned intend to return and in 99% it would waste more supplies than going straight, also Gjallahorn having strong position between Mars and Earth is good reason to avoid it.

If they need resupply, asteroid belt would be better option anyway.
Old 2015-11-14, 13:20   Link #154
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Maybe. I don't think there's much in the way of food, medicine, or foundries in the asteroid belt, though.
Old 2015-11-14, 13:25   Link #155
Tenzen12

If they have bases around Jupiter there should lot of mining facilities in asteroid belt too (well I can't say for sure). They should have all necessary.
Old 2015-11-14, 20:13   Link #156
The 48th Ronin

Just curious what mineral resources are there in Jupiter?
The 48th Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-14, 20:36   Link #157
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Traditionally in Gundam, Jupiter is mined for Helium-3.
Old 2015-11-15, 02:00   Link #158
Skaddix

I think the moons are more useful for most stuff humans want besides Helium
Skaddix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-15, 05:00   Link #159
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Orange View Post
Just curious what mineral resources are there in Jupiter?
water? sadly Crossbone Gundam either screwed it up or Crux Dogatie being a totalitarian control freak that water is scarce there despite the ice covered moons & asteroids everywhere, not sure about oxygen made in factories part though, & like someone posted above the Helium-3 responsible for the creation of Minovsky reactors.
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-16, 02:54   Link #160
Ryuuoh DeltaPlus
A Random Lurker

I just recalled something.

Remember during the first ep when Maruba forgot the password to his safe, and he mentions that it was the name of a dog he kept as a kid?

And then Episode 7 preview revealed the names of the dogs he kept.