AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

Old 2010-02-06, 03:26   Link #881
Bea Rabbit
Stained Member
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agony View Post
Please don't discuss the manga here if the event has not already happened in the anime or at least place in under a spoiler tag?
naa. it's only the speculation from collecting more version of DRRR!

okay.
lets get back to Anime then.
I wonder whose the girl on the hospital. she seems so calm with Izaya. Yet, Kida is not. Maybe there's an accident between them that Izaya involve in this.
Bea Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 05:58   Link #882
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Strangely, I think Izays may be her relative. Kida has jumped to the top of my list of favorite characters thoughhh. I wonder what hes hiding, and I hope he overcomes whatevers bothering him about. Second favorite? Izaya, total asshole, but he has the cool guy aura.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 06:44   Link #883
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

But that girl uses "san" when talking to Izaya. That's not something you'd do with your brother right?

I think its a mutual friend and Kida's former girlfriend.
Old 2010-02-06, 06:47   Link #884
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

You know, I keep seeing this weird pattern with the author. With the women, there's always the pretty types and then the MONSTER types. With men, it's all a bunch of creepy stalker types and/or womanizers and the 'chivalrous' type. It's really weird seeing them all mingle in a single episode as they always do.

And props to Kida when it seems like he's one of the creepy ones, there's always the TRULY creepier ones above him. And strangely, as eccentric as he acts, he's probably the first one to acknowledge that Ikebukuro and its inhabitants are a bunch of freaks. I truly disliked Kida in episode 1, but yeah, now he's rising in my rankings.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 07:49   Link #885
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
They can always do a second season later if its popular.
It seems to be pretty popular going by what Natsuki said. so it definitely not unlikely, plus there's tons of material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post

A bit off tangent here, but I was surprised at how this series is very popular especially for fangirls for that matter! in Japan. Random blogs I visited has lots of people complaining that the bookstore in their area don't have anymore stock in, comments on Pixiv has... Lots of complaining too about the book sold out. And Amazon ranking. Just... What just happened that it get one of the higher rank both DVD and book? @_@ Last time I checked DVD volume 1 is not really high but now... #24 in DVD and only anime DVDs that topped it are Bakemonogatari? @.@'' (Not that I don't appreciate it, but it's just wow knowing that the series is very appreciated there! God knows what episode 3 did to sadistic sides of humanity <333')

Still waiting for the DVD vol 2 release! Really want to read the gaiden novel here~ (*q*)b
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperKnuckles View Post
You know, I keep seeing this weird pattern with the author. With the women, there's always the pretty types and then the MONSTER types. With men, it's all a bunch of creepy stalker types and/or womanizers and the 'chivalrous' type. It's really weird seeing them all mingle in a single episode as they always do.
I don't know about that, neither Shizuo, Jazzuri, Mika, Nice or Mikado really fit those categories you listed for example.

Quote:
And props to Kida when it seems like he's one of the creepy ones, there's always the TRULY creepier ones above him. And strangely, as eccentric as he acts, he's probably the first one to acknowledge that Ikebukuro and its inhabitants are a bunch of freaks. I truly disliked Kida in episode 1, but yeah, now he's rising in my rankings.
I never considered Kida creepy though. He's Hyperactive/Genki sure, but in general he's pretty nice guy, and Ike isn't suppose be a normal town to begin with which was established in ep1.

"Anything and everything can happen in this town."-Mikado

Last edited by Iron Maw; 2010-02-06 at 08:33.
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 08:33   Link #886
alu546
y prime

Send a message via AIM to alu546
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
But that girl uses "san" when talking to Izaya. That's not something you'd do with your brother right?

I think its a mutual friend and Kida's former girlfriend.
Thats probably the case then, I didnt check for that really. Unless hes a cousin? I dunno. I juost know that after episode 2 I am amazed he has any friends at all.
alu546 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 08:50   Link #887
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
On the subject of slashers, the katana slasher that attacked Selty seems a bit different from the rest (?) of the slasher(s?) seeing as how she stabbed her arm then went for her head.
According the the yellow scarves guys the slasher cuts the victim but leaves them alive, going for the head would not leave a person alive, Selty exempted of course
From my view, the slasher freaked out after hitting Celty and "detected" that Celty isn't human. So she probably chopped at Celty's head as an emergency response, realizing that Celty isn't going to become just another victim like the others were.
Old 2010-02-06, 09:02   Link #888
Bea Rabbit
Stained Member
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alu546 View Post
Strangely, I think Izays may be her relative. Kida has jumped to the top of my list of favorite characters thoughhh. I wonder what hes hiding, and I hope he overcomes whatevers bothering him about. Second favorite? Izaya, total asshole, but he has the cool guy aura.
Hmm. but dont forget Izaya is an informant, he always drop in people's problems. Maybe that's why Kida really hates him.
Bea Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 10:03   Link #889
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
It seems to be pretty popular going by what Natsuki said. so it definitely not unlikely, plus there's tons of material.
Still I have to say that this won't reflect in whether the DVD selling make a do or not though. Amazon's rank alogarithm i.e way of ranking just makes me want to go to bed and sleep lmao

Popularity wise, it is though. But like I have mentioned, mostly and especially among females. Which make the series less popular in the (in)famous 2ch and hardcore male anime fans circle ratings (accordingly, Railgun and So Ra No Wo To, with a dash of BakaTest are the ones they are interested at. Infer anything that you want from there ).

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 11:13   Link #890
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
Popularity wise, it is though. But like I have mentioned, mostly and especially among females. Which make the series less popular in the (in)famous 2ch and hardcore male anime fans circle ratings (accordingly, Railgun and So Ra No Wo To, with a dash of BakaTest are the ones they are interested at. Infer anything that you want from there ).
So guys like fluffy fanservice and girls like gritty tales set in the back-allies of cities? Makes total sense to me!
I have also seen a ton of fanart for this show over on dA (including a very spoilery artist meme) and, while none of those pictures have fit the front page yet, it seems to be growing as well. But the favorite thing to draw, hands down, seems to be Shizaya art, guess that proves who the fans are.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 11:42   Link #891
Iron Maw
Banned

As long as it's popular enough for a second season, I don't care how much
more it's liked among either gender. It doesn't look like the anime is going get past Vol.3 which fine since that book actually closes Part 1 of the story apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
But the favorite thing to draw, hands down, seems to be Shizaya art, guess that proves who the fans are.
Not surprised, this happens to every rivalry in shounen.
Old 2010-02-06, 12:19   Link #892
Kunagisa

Quote:
As long as it's popular enough for a second season, I don't care how much
more it's liked among either gender. It doesn't look like the anime is going get past Vol.3 which fine since that book actually closes Part 1 of the story apparently.
Depends on the pacing for the rest of it. For 24 episodes, they might be able to burn through 6 volumes of the novel and go for an anime original ending.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 14:21   Link #893
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Depends on the pacing for the rest of it. For 24 episodes, they might be able to burn through 6 volumes of the novel and go for an anime original ending.
Still, is there really a need to "end" the story?
There should be sufficient closure at the end of a book for a TV series to conclude without a need for a TV original ending. There only reason you would want a TV original ending is if you don't WANT sequels. And novel series are a gold mine for a profitable franchise.

The most obvious example is Haruhi, with Bakemonogatari as a more recent example. (The Bake author implied in a recent book that he is continuing to write more books on the Bakemonogatari universe because the publisher asked him for sequel anime material.)
A Sci-Fi example is the Crest of the Stars series.

As we all know, sponsors love paying for sequels of popular series, because it is a proven product with an existing fanbase. And in this day and age of bad economy, I find it unlikely that the studio would pass the chance of making Durarara sequels in the future.
Old 2010-02-06, 15:34   Link #894
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

I have to say, with every episode of this series I watch, I am steadily drawn further and further into it. I'm a sucker for a well-rounded ensemble cast, and here you have that: the range of characters fill various 'roles', but so far we keep seeing that they also have layers beneath those archetypes. I can see myself wanting to abide with these characters for a good while.
Old 2010-02-06, 17:13   Link #895
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Still, is there really a need to "end" the story?
There should be sufficient closure at the end of a book for a TV series to conclude without a need for a TV original ending. There only reason you would want a TV original ending is if you don't WANT sequels. And novel series are a gold mine for a profitable franchise.

The most obvious example is Haruhi, with Bakemonogatari as a more recent example. (The Bake author implied in a recent book that he is continuing to write more books on the Bakemonogatari universe because the publisher asked him for sequel anime material.)
A Sci-Fi example is the Crest of the Stars series.

As we all know, sponsors love paying for sequels of popular series, because it is a proven product with an existing fanbase. And in this day and age of bad economy, I find it unlikely that the studio would pass the chance of making Durarara sequels in the future.
Honestly, I hardly think Durarara's in the same league as Bake or Haruhi in terms of followers. It is a good story, but I don't think we will see an uproar like we did with the 1st Haruhi TV, and Bake is just an unexpected hit. As such is the case, I rather it has a strong single season than having a sequel without enough materials and making a weak second season (god knows at the pace this is going how many more novels Narita has to write before we get another seque; Baccano on the other hand ... but I digress), which means while we wait for the second season, I don't think if it's worth it to animate it when a ton of new stories coming out each year that can make stronger impacts on the entire fanbase.

While I agree with your points regarding novel franchise and their sequels, but I think the examples you mentioned aren't really based on milking money. Tanigawa and Morioka either got stuck in a heavy writer's block or just lost interest in their own work, while I don't think Nisio has ever intended to end his stories with merely 5 volumes (guy likes to cover his own ass every step along the way with comments like "Nah, this will never get animated" and "This is the end supposedly, but then I feel bad leaving the stories for the xxx character unresolved" etc.).
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-06, 17:56   Link #896
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:

Creepy, that would be interesting way to describe him, the one that I would say is bit creepy is Simon. I just find the way he talk is bit creepy. From this episode I am really starting like Kida and Mikado, both of them are becoming more interesting as their characters are shown more and more.
Old 2010-02-06, 19:39   Link #897
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
I rather they not rush the series if possible. Lots of novel to anime adaptions usually end up suffering for it in the end like Zero no Tsukaima due having so much taking out or changed. Even through Baccano! was pretty well done that show didn't come out unscratched due the it's brake-neck pacing which was a result of forcing 4 volume of novels into 13 episodes.

Besides the fourth volume DRRR!! supposedly acts as a soft "back-to-the-basics" type of deal before introducing new storyline elements and a whole new bunch of major characters (to an already large cast) that build off the last 3 vols.

Which is pretty ideal starting point for a second series IMO.

Quote:
Honestly, I hardly think Durarara's in the same league as Bake or Haruhi in terms of followers. It is a good story, but I don't think we will see an uproar like we did with the 1st Haruhi TV, and Bake is just an unexpected hit. As such is the case, I rather it has a strong single season than having a sequel without enough materials and making a weak second season (god knows at the pace this is going how many more novels Narita has to write before we get another seque; Baccano on the other hand ... but I digress), which means while we wait for the second season, I don't think if it's worth it to animate it when a ton of new stories coming out each year that can make stronger impacts on the entire fanbase.
DRRR doesn't need to be "Haruhi" or "Bake" type success for a sequel though (otherwise we would also never get sequels for almost any show ). As long as it meets Brain Base and Aniplex's expectations it's not impossible, and with this being one of the rare 2 cour series I would say they have confidence in the show.

I do understand your sentiment about second seasons not living up to first, but a lot of time that more due with poor planning and execution than material. DRRR has an excellent Production Staff so I'm not worried about that.
Old 2010-02-06, 21:44   Link #898
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

Mikado's piercing stare while he was learning about Mika just made him my favorite character in this anime. Kida's probably second, as I'm enjoying his personality so far. They're good companions.
OceanBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 02:04   Link #899
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
I don't know about that, neither Shizuo, Jazzuri, Mika, Nice or Mikado really fit those categories you listed for example.
Well, I was just talking about how it may be on the surface. But of course, all those girls have a lot of issues going on for them. I just find it fun and fascinating how the flirting thing works with the author. It's more like a game than anything.

Quote:
I never considered Kida creepy though. He's Hyperactive/Genki sure, but in general he's pretty nice guy, and Ike isn't suppose be a normal town to begin with which was established in ep1.

"Anything and everything can happen in this town."-Mikado
Well, if anything, it seems Kida perhaps subconsciously wants to be unique even if that means he's going outside his comfort zone. The recent episodes keeps making it seem that his genki attitude is more of a fascade to deal with the insanity of the town rather than that being how he truly is. Also pretty fun seeing how he's always amazed at Mikado for doing brash and outrageous things when the roles are supposed to be reversed.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-07, 03:55   Link #900
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Oooh. Ep5 was really nice. The best yet. Miyano Mamoru's voice as Kida was a silken thread tying the episode together.

To me, no-one but the minor punks -- and maybe not even them -- comes across as really evil. On the other hand, I get the sense that not even Kida could really be trusted not to act badly sometimes. Swirling scenes of humanity doing its thing.
Spoiler for ep5:
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2010-02-07 at 06:17.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, light novel adaptation, shounen