AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-10-24, 15:49   Link #41
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
he did let Kirino keep her Anime, and hanging out with her Otaku friends
No, he didn't, actually. He wanted to go to her room and trash anything that only looks remotely Anime-like. He still doesn't know that Kirino is going to those otaku meetings, talking about anime with others. The questioning was solely because of the game he found. Had he actually known that Kirino was going to those meetings, he would've got a lot more mad, treated Kirino much more harshly and handed out some nasty consequences to her. Nothing that Kyousuke would've said would've changed his mind anymore, and he would've gone to Kirino's room for an extended rampage on anything even remotely anime-like. While he was already at it, he might have extended his rampage to other things like Kirino's modeling stuff which is only barely tolerated by him.

It was only after Kyousuke pleaded with him for a long time and then eventually said that it was all his stuff that he changed his mind about that. As he already didn't like and didn't care for his son in the first place, Kyousuku owning stuff that his narrow-minded, intolerant self regards as devious fits well into his prejudiced image, and in beating him, he ultimately writes him off as a lost case.
Further proof for the not-caring: After Kirino and Kyousuke had been at the otaku meeting, the father wanted to know precisely where *Kirino* had been. Kirino had to lie there because she knew perfectly well that if she said that she had met some friends and talked about anime, her intolerant and insensitive dad would instantly throw a temper tantrum and hand out some vicious consequences.
Even though he's zealously questioning Kirino, he doesn't give so much as a single glance at Kyousuke, and Kyousuke just remarks to himself that his dad as usual doesn't give a damn about where he'd been.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanish View Post
It was stated somewhere else already but because Kyousuke's parents always preferred Kirino over Kyousuke regarding asking where they went, what they did, etc. he generally has a hard time creating any influence simply by trying to talk to his father.
To make his dad take notice and fully understand and partially accept what he is talking about, he has to scream like that.
That's the point exactly. Had he said what he had to say in a normal manner, his dad would've simply shrugged off anything and completely ignored him.

Quote:
Well, that he grabbed his father physically is debatable but it proved to be effective and it was rather intentional than out of anger or not knowing what to do, he also expected getting punched. Or at least he didn't not expect it.
Grabbing his dad was probably also something he had to do, just to get his dad's attention.

Quote:
If it was his mom, he probably wouldn't have to scream as much.
If it was his mom, he probably wouldn't have had to scream at all, but just tell it normally. From what we've seen of her, she seems to be rather tolerant, especially if compared to her husband.

Quote:
His father is indeed the old-fashioned type but at the same time he is in my eyes also trying to tolerate the next generation's view of things which is very good.
I don't really seen him trying to tolerate anything.
He only grudgingly tolerates Kirino's modeling, and he's certainly not trying to tolerate Kirino's liking for anime at all.

Quote:
My father is actually similar to that (Chinese family).
Though I don't exactly get hit, he can still threatens to in certain situations.
In China, the influence of the old Confucian values like filial piety is still much stronger, so while it's quite rare today to still find old-fashioned dads like Kyousuke's dad in Japan, it's not as rare in China - or in Chinese families in general.
Old 2010-10-24, 17:00   Link #42
Seihai
スマイリウム

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
I don't really seen him trying to tolerate anything.
He only grudgingly tolerates Kirino's modeling, and he's certainly not trying to tolerate Kirino's liking for anime at all.

In China, the influence of the old Confucian values like filial piety is still much stronger, so while it's quite rare today to still find old-fashioned dads like Kyousuke's dad in Japan, it's not as rare in China - or in Chinese families in general.
Point taken. I wonder how or if the dad treats her differently from now on.

Yes, that also makes sense / sounds true. It's a good thing I live in Germany with my family so they adjusted to the lifestyle and culture. That gave them a very positive change indeed.
Who knows what I could have been through if I lived in China up to now.:P
Old 2010-10-27, 01:40   Link #43
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
gee, i wonder how she reacts when she watched Ika-musume & Yosuga no Sora?
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2010-10-27, 07:21   Link #44
Ruuko
Smelly :3

hi all!! :3

hmm just a curious thought, i dont know if this would be a stupid question or not hope not tho

does anyone by any chance think that kirino wants to be treated by her older brother like "a little sister" from those games?

perhaps minus the eroge parts Dx?

--------------
and something else popped into my head o.o;
during the most recent episode, when kirinos friends were in her room, and they mentioned that they dont look alike.. could this be.. that they're not related?!

(i havnt done much research on it xD, so im just posting it up here hoping someone would answer them for me here :3)
Old 2010-10-27, 09:15   Link #45
Seihai
スマイリウム

I think that isn't Kirino's goal. She just wants to share her interests with Kyousuke who either way knows of her hobby because Kuroneko and Saori aren't by her side all the time.

And it's not impossible that they are actually not related but I do like to think that they are related as my personal preference.
Old 2010-10-27, 09:30   Link #46
Shadow5YA

Quote:
No, he didn't, actually. He wanted to go to her room and trash anything that only looks remotely Anime-like. He still doesn't know that Kirino is going to those otaku meetings, talking about anime with others. The questioning was solely because of the game he found. Had he actually known that Kirino was going to those meetings, he would've got a lot more mad, treated Kirino much more harshly and handed out some nasty consequences to her. Nothing that Kyousuke would've said would've changed his mind anymore, and he would've gone to Kirino's room for an extended rampage on anything even remotely anime-like. While he was already at it, he might have extended his rampage to other things like Kirino's modeling stuff which is only barely tolerated by him.

It was only after Kyousuke pleaded with him for a long time and then eventually said that it was all his stuff that he changed his mind about that. As he already didn't like and didn't care for his son in the first place, Kyousuku owning stuff that his narrow-minded, intolerant self regards as devious fits well into his prejudiced image, and in beating him, he ultimately writes him off as a lost case.
Further proof for the not-caring: After Kirino and Kyousuke had been at the otaku meeting, the father wanted to know precisely where *Kirino* had been. Kirino had to lie there because she knew perfectly well that if she said that she had met some friends and talked about anime, her intolerant and insensitive dad would instantly throw a temper tantrum and hand out some vicious consequences.
Even though he's zealously questioning Kirino, he doesn't give so much as a single glance at Kyousuke, and Kyousuke just remarks to himself that his dad as usual doesn't give a damn about where he'd been.
No, that was his original intention. The manga, light novel, and anime make it clear that the father admitted his prejudice about anime was wrong and he would accept Kirino's hobby. That was purpose behind Kyousuke's entire argument and why he presented a picture of Kirino together with Saori and Kuroneko. The problem is that Kirino's collection is mostly, if not all eroge, so her collection would have been thrown out anyway.
Old 2010-10-27, 12:50   Link #47
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruuko View Post
does anyone by any chance think that kirino wants to be treated by her older brother like "a little sister" from those games?

perhaps minus the eroge parts Dx?
It could very well be that she would like to be treated that way by her big brother... there's certainly a reason why she picked the "imouto" genre out of the vast repertoire of the eroge.
However, if that should be the case, she's still realistic enough to see that there's little chance of her big brother ever treating her like that.

Quote:
and something else popped into my head o.o;
during the most recent episode, when kirinos friends were in her room, and they mentioned that they dont look alike.. could this be.. that they're not related?!
Now that you mention it - I'd say it's a possibility indeed. Kirino and Kyousuke have different hair- and eye colours, so it could be that his mother remarried and Kyousuke is from her first marriage, while Kirino is from her present marriage. That way, we would also have a possible reason why Kyousuke's father doesn't like him, because he's not his actual son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
The manga, light novel, and anime make it clear that the father admitted his prejudice about anime was wrong and he would accept Kirino's hobby.
That might be true about manga and light novel (no idea, didn't read them), but *not* for the anime - at least not in the first four episodes. At no point the father shows that he would admit his prejudice about anime was wrong.
Old 2010-10-27, 16:55   Link #48
Shadow5YA

Quote:
That might be true about manga and light novel (no idea, didn't read them), but *not* for the anime - at least not in the first four episodes. At no point the father shows that he would admit his prejudice about anime was wrong.
Unless I read some trollsubs, the anime played out exactly the same as the manga and novel. He accepted Kirino's hobby after Kyousuke's deal-with-it-or-I'll-beat-you-up speech, then promptly got off his seat to go clean out Kirino's room. He specifically said that he will not accept Kirino playing eroges, pointing to the R-18 rating. That's when Kyosuke decided to make himself the scapegoat as the last resort.

You could make a different case whether or not the father was lying, but he plainly admitted he would allow Kirino's otaku hobby, just not the eroges, which incidentally made up the majority of Kirino's collection. You're right that he hasn't shown that he would accept it, but he plainly stated that he would.
Old 2010-10-27, 17:08   Link #49
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

I thought that the father accepted the facts about the anime, and the otaku friends, but not the Eroge Games.. But then again, he would still tell Kirino to get rid of basically everything I think... (little confused at the moment )
Old 2010-10-27, 17:37   Link #50
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
He accepted Kirino's hobby after Kyousuke's deal-with-it-or-I'll-beat-you-up speech, then promptly got off his seat to go clean out Kirino's room.
Don't turn things on their head. He went to Kirino's room to clean it out because he *didn't* accept Kirinos's hobby as a whole, and he would've trashed anything even remotely anime-related, R18 or not - if Kyousuke wouldn't have said that it was his hobby alone, not Kirino's hobby.

Quote:
He specifically said that he will not accept Kirino playing eroges, pointing to the R-18 rating. That's when Kyosuke decided to make himself the scapegoat as the last resort.
Kyousuke did his long speech trying to get through to his father and have him accept Kirino's hobby, even resorting to strong means like grabbing his father's collar and shouting.
He didn't get anywhere, however. The only thing he reached was that his father was getting annoyed by Kyousuke trying to convince him otherwise. His father's bad opinion about anime in general (and eroge especially) was already set in stone, and he didn't want to change it. He didn't concede the tiniest bit and never admitted that anime by itself wouldn't be all that bad or anything.
Because the discussion with Kyousuke was getting on his nerves and he didn't want to change his mind anyway, he brought up the R18 rating to stop any further discussion dead in its tracks.
Since his father was so unrelenting and unmoved by his speech, this left Kyousuke the only option of confessing that it was all his stuff, not Kirino's. This only worked for the sole reason that his father already didn't like Kyousuke and had a very low opinion of him. Kyousuke playing eroge (in his fathers opinion totally depraved) fitted exactly in his father's preconceived image of Kyousuke being a bad boy with nasty vices and whatnot, so he instantly believed it without giving it any further consideration. Him hitting Kyousuke was his father's way of saying, "I'm finished with you, once and for all!"
Old 2010-10-27, 17:39   Link #51
Shadow5YA

Quote:
I thought that the father accepted the facts about the anime, and the otaku friends, but not the Eroge Games.. But then again, he would still tell Kirino to get rid of basically everything I think... (little confused at the moment )
That's my point. Their father will tolerate Kirino's anime and otaku friends, but he will not tolerate the eroge. However, Kirino's collection is mostly eroge, so if she has to get rid of that then there's not much left of Kirino's hobby.

So as far as Kirino's secret stash goes, it still has to stay secret, but because her father accepts her anime hobby, then she's now free to talk with her friends about it over the phone in the living room or even invite them over. Kirino just can't show any of the nudity or sex scenes, unlike before when she couldn't even mention anything remotely anime-like at all.
Old 2010-10-27, 17:56   Link #52
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

Quote:
because her father accepts her anime hobby, then she's now free to talk with her friends about it over the phone in the living room or even invite them over. Kirino just can't show any of the nudity or sex scenes, unlike before when she couldn't even mention anything remotely anime-like at all.
No, her father never accepted her hobby in the first place, and he didn't change his opinion about anime either. He never said anything that he did.
After the talk with Kyousuke, he's now of the opinion that only Kyousuke has this anime hobby, which he still regards as gross as before. I'm not even sure her father would make any difference between ordinary anime and R18 stuff, for him both is disgusting.

When Kirino talked on her mobile in the living room, she only could do that freely because her father was not around yet but still at work. Later when her father is home, she goes to her room to call her friends, so her father can't overhear her.

The friends she invited over are her *model* friends, not her otaku friends. They don't know anything about Kirino's anime hobby, which is why one of them is so surprised when she meets Kirino at Comiket.
If Kirino invited her otaku friends to her home, her mother probably wouldn't say anything, but if her father found out that they're talking about anime, all hell would break loose.
Old 2010-10-27, 17:57   Link #53
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Don't turn things on their head. He went to Kirino's room to clean it out because he *didn't* accept Kirinos's hobby as a whole, and he would've trashed anything even remotely anime-related, R18 or not - if Kyousuke wouldn't have said that it was his hobby alone, not Kirino's hobby.

Kyousuke did his long speech trying to get through to his father and have him accept Kirino's hobby, even resorting to strong means like grabbing his father's collar and shouting.
He didn't get anywhere, however. The only thing he reached was that his father was getting annoyed by Kyousuke trying to convince him otherwise. His father's bad opinion about anime in general (and eroge especially) was already set in stone, and he didn't want to change it. He didn't concede the tiniest bit and never admitted that anime by itself wouldn't be all that bad or anything.
Because the discussion with Kyousuke was getting on his nerves and he didn't want to change his mind anyway, he brought up the R18 rating to stop any further discussion dead in its tracks.
Since his father was so unrelenting and unmoved by his speech, this left Kyousuke the only option of confessing that it was all his stuff. This only worked for the sole reason that his father already didn't like Kyousuke and had a very low opinion of him. Kyousuke playing eroge (in his fathers opinion totally depraved) fitted exactly in his father's preconceived image of Kyousuke being a bad boy with nasty vices and whatnot, so he instantly believed it without giving it any further consideration. Him hitting Kyousuke was his father's way of saying, "I'm finished with you, once and for all!"
I should say the same to you. Where in the anime does it say or show that their father still did not tolerate Kirino's anime?

His father was unwavered in removing Kirino's eroge. Eroge makes up the bulk of her collection, so removing only the eroge is the same as trashing her entire hobby.

Spoiler for anime subs:

His father explicitly states that he's only getting rid of the eroge. Whether he changes his mind, or whether he was lying to Kyosuke is another topic for discussion, but it doesn't change the fact that he said he accepted Kirino's hobby.
Old 2010-10-27, 18:08   Link #54
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Spoiler for anime subs:

His father explicitly states that he's only getting rid of the eroge. Whether he changes his mind, or whether he was lying to Kyosuke is another topic for discussion, but it doesn't change the fact that he said he accepted Kirino's hobby.
I just rewatched the episode to clear a few things in this discussion as well, just like Shadow5YA said, and provided in the quotes. That he will let Kirino keep her hobby for anime, but will throw away the Eroge.

"I'm not talking about her friends" quotes from Kirino's father, that means he doesnt really care that Kirino found Otaku friends one bit.

Last edited by Hooves; 2010-10-27 at 19:08.
Old 2010-10-27, 19:43   Link #55
keroro gunsou

Quote:
I just rewatched the episode to clear a few things in this discussion as well, just like Shadow5YA said, and provided in the quotes. That he will let Kirino keep her hobby for anime, but will throw away the Eroge.

"I'm not talking about her friends" quotes from Kirino's father, that means he doesnt really care that Kirino found Otaku friends one bit.
Its very funny... Kirino's father doesnt understand otaku culture...
He permit Kirino to meet Otaku friends, but tried to throw Eroge away!!!
I guess some Otaku friends may love Eroge. If such Otaku friends meet Kirino, Kirino cant help stoping Eroge play
Yes, her father was not wrong. Even he is right... Friends are just friends,not Eroge... But seliously he want to ban Kirino's Eroge, he should ban meeting with Otaku friends. Why? off course Kirino is already interested in Eroge very much.
Old 2010-10-28, 04:49   Link #56
Ruuko

Quote:
I think that isn't Kirino's goal. She just wants to share her interests with Kyousuke who either way knows of her hobby because Kuroneko and Saori aren't by her side all the time.

And it's not impossible that they are actually not related but I do like to think that they are related as my personal preference.
yeah i personally prefer them to be related as well, watched/read too many anime/manga that turned out to be incest/semi-incest recently

it'd be sad if this one turns out to be like that as well

Quote:
Now that you mention it - I'd say it's a possibility indeed. Kirino and Kyousuke have different hair- and eye colours, so it could be that his mother remarried and Kyousuke is from her first marriage, while Kirino is from her present marriage. That way, we would also have a possible reason why Kyousuke's father doesn't like him, because he's not his actual son.
well kirino's hair colour like that because she dyed it did she not?

haha but yes. the eye colour thing is still a big mystery!! :3
Old 2010-10-28, 06:04   Link #57
jeroz
Art Block Specialist

To be fair, Kirino's public and private images are completely different.

and regarding to eye colour, both parents have brown eyes, kirino has teal while Kyousuke has dark blue.
Ayase also has dark blue eyes.
Old 2010-10-28, 07:07   Link #58
Ruuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeroz View Post
To be fair, Kirino's public and private images are completely different.

and regarding to eye colour, both parents have brown eyes, kirino has teal while Kyousuke has dark blue.
Ayase also has dark blue eyes.
oh wow!! i didnt even see that Kyousuke had dark blue eyes XD

ookay then
Old 2010-10-28, 09:31   Link #59
Shadow5YA

Quote:
yeah i personally prefer them to be related as well, watched/read too many anime/manga that turned out to be incest/semi-incest recently

it'd be sad if this one turns out to be like that as well

well kirino's hair colour like that because she dyed it did she not?

haha but yes. the eye colour thing is still a big mystery!! :3
It is possible for a child to have a hair or eye color that's different from both of their parents. Regarding Kyousuke and Kirino's blue eye color, their parents could be carriers of the blue eye color gene. The gene for blue eye color is recessive, so their parents can still have brown color while being carriers for blue eyes as well.
Old 2010-10-28, 11:00   Link #60
Ruuko

Quote:
It is possible for a child to have a hair or eye color that's different from both of their parents. Regarding Kyousuke and Kirino's blue eye color, their parents could be carriers of the blue eye color gene. The gene for blue eye color is recessive, so their parents can still have brown color while being carriers for blue eyes as well.
haha i see some biology in action!!
yes daddy and mommy could have been Bb x Bb and they just happen to be lucky to have 2 bb kids :3

ahh good old biol lesson memories :3
Closed Thread

Tags
characters