AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 12 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 32 22.54%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 42 29.58%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 29 20.42%
7 out of 10 : Good 10 7.04%
6 out of 10 : Average 9 6.34%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 6 4.23%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 2.82%
3 out of 10 : Bad 4 2.82%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 3 2.11%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 2.11%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-28, 05:11   Link #161
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakusukira View Post
because partly she gets to be blamed for everything. because she knew for sometime who the ANOTHER was but never told it. Mei knows it's partly her fault too so she just doesn't want to react to people who want to kill her
I don't think that's the case at all (and the assertion of her blame quite unfounded). There is no reason for Mei to feel guilty about not revealing the identity of Another sooner (much less to a degree where she would be ok with being stabbed ), because that was useless information at the time. It only became relevant after they found out that this information is actually usable (found out that killing the Another actually stops the curse), after which she almost immediately told Koichi about it (or would have, if not for Teshigawara barging in and derailing us for two episodes) and proceeded to do something about it.

And that's not taking in to account she wasn't actually 100% sure earlier - which is the reason Mei wanted to see the photo of original Misaki, to make sure how "Another" actually appears to her senses and that she wasn't jumping to conclusions.

If anything, I'd chalk up her extreme aloofness this episode when Izumi is trying to kill her (which was honestly overdone even for Mei) to the whacky and over-the-top writing that plagued the last two episodes and pushed everything (and everyone) to the extremes. So ... yeah, I definitely can see where Kuroi Saboto is coming from with his "crappy direction" comment, because the closing episodes were definitely plagued with some facepalm-worthy developments (Or at the very least, the way said developments were presented).

Last edited by Skyfall; 2012-03-28 at 05:25.
Old 2012-03-28, 14:13   Link #162
ninryu
It's yuri, bitches

My problem is that the conclusion doesn't fit with the build-up. It may be because of the difference in the anime version from the novel, but it just feels out of place.

I still think it could be better if Akazawa were the Another.
Old 2012-03-28, 15:09   Link #163
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I still feel cheated. All the hints towards Reiko being the extra, aside from the tiny little fact that as far as we, the viewers, knew, she wasn't in the class, either as a teacher or a student. Then it turns out she was a teacher in the class after all, right at the final moment. It's teasing and cheating.
Old 2012-03-28, 17:05   Link #164
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by anfera103 View Post
What was the trigger to the curse? since it wasn't talking to the nonexistent student like everyone believe
It doesn't have to be "triggered." Ignoring a student has only a 50% chance of working anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfall View Post
I don't think that's the case at all (and the assertion of her blame quite unfounded). There is no reason for Mei to feel guilty about not revealing the identity of Another sooner (much less to a degree where she would be ok with being stabbed ), because that was useless information at the time. It only became relevant after they found out that this information is actually usable (found out that killing the Another actually stops the curse), after which she almost immediately told Koichi about it (or would have, if not for Teshigawara barging in and derailing us for two episodes) and proceeded to do something about it.

And that's not taking in to account she wasn't actually 100% sure earlier - which is the reason Mei wanted to see the photo of original Misaki, to make sure how "Another" actually appears to her senses and that she wasn't jumping to conclusions.
Here's another one. Kouichi is pretty much the only person Mei has a real human connection with (now that her sister is dead) and she knows that the Another is his aunt, whom he deeply cares about (not that we got to see that, but that's a different complaint). How about the idea that she wanted to break it to him in private, walking him through the initial steps so she could first make him understand why she can identify the Another, and then try to let him down as easily as possible, in private, instead of dumping hellish news on him in front of a crowd.

So basically, all she did was wait from the afternoon (when they arrived at the lodge and listened to the tape) until after dinner (when they immediately went to her room) to reveal the Another's identity. There was certainly no indication from anything that happened earlier in the series that in those few hours the entire cast was going to melt down in an orgy of bloody mob violence, or the weather and the lodge team up to start slaughtering everyone it could get its hands on, too. I hardly think that's something to blame herself over.
Old 2012-03-28, 21:39   Link #165
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
Are you fucking kidding me? The cast just wrecked every likable character in this story. Mei's kinda cute, but with Mei not giving a shit and nor does Kouchi even though everyone fucking died and w/e. And poor Izumi. She died in such a retarded fashion for this show that I couldn't be fucked to understand what was going on.
What was wrong with how she died? You'll have to elaborate more. It had a poetic feel to it since we learned the truth to when she first met Kouichi and the glass breaking was animated brilliantly. Even though it broke my heart... it was a good scene.
Old 2012-03-29, 00:38   Link #166
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
What was wrong with how she died? You'll have to elaborate more. It had a poetic feel to it since we learned the truth to when she first met Kouichi and the glass breaking was animated brilliantly. Even though it broke my heart... it was a good scene.
Well, considering that her death was pretty much the same as everyone else's, aka contrived, excessive and meaningless, I fail to see how that could be considered be poetic. Oh I suppose her descent into insanity at the end of last episode to her death was supposed to be tragic, but came off as much hilarious due to the speed of which it happened. But it's not as funny as random chandlers falling on people.

To me, the last 2 episodes were really just to get as many people dead as possible.

Perhaps they could treat their characters as less throwaway, like they did before.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-03-29, 11:35   Link #167
AC-Phoenix
Detective

I don't know why people always thinks she went insane...
She actually took her role as head of countermeasures serious and Mei was the most likely to be the additional person.
For her action of threatening Kouichi < insert the fury saying in here > (alreadey said it often enough :P

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
Old 2012-03-29, 21:58   Link #168
Allium
Keep on keeping on

So Reiko is the Another after all, but the way it was presented this ep (with her emerging helplessly out of a pile of logs and revealing her identity) gave an anticlimactic feel, like, "Oooh, I guessed correctly! Reiko is the Another after all! OK, OK..." Then of course she has to be killed, and we get to the epilogue. It was just predictable for me, I guess. I liked Kouichi's response to his aunt being the Another, though. He was clearly pained and horrified at the fact he had to kill her, and that scene was quite impactful.

Izumi's death...well, I was hoping that she would survive, but that scene was done brilliantly, with the shards of glass looking as if they were suspended in time, and Izumi looking as if she was one of those dolls (her expression, the angle of her limbs). From her flashback, she and Kouichi did encounter each other before. This, coupled with the way she died, was quite heartbreaking to watch.

Some of the scenes in the episode were just awkward and they would be hilarious if the situation wasn't so serious. The random chandelier, the guy running out from beneath the chandelier only to be hit by a falling column, Kazami's expression when he was hit by Izumi...they looked so silly, I had to snort.

The "one-and-a-half-year-ago" seems so significant though. Kouichi and Izumi encountered each other a year and a half prior to the series' events, and it was also at that time that Reiko (as Ms. Mikami) was killed by someone eerily resembling Kouichi. I can't help thinking that there's a link somewhere in the background.

The epilogue was fine, though I found the transition from the events at the trip to the scene of Mei at the grave a bit abrupt. And oh, Mei...do you have to hate phones that much?

In the end, with Anamnesis in the background, I can't help feeling for Class 3-3's next batch of students. The curse has only ended for that year after all.

A fine conclusion for Another. 8/10 for episode 12, and probably to the entire series.
Old 2012-03-29, 22:17   Link #169
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Wow every one just went insane there
Old 2012-03-29, 22:25   Link #170
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
I don't know why people always thinks she went insane...
She actually took her role as head of countermeasures serious and Mei was the most likely to be the additional person.
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me it's the fact that her logical, well-thought rationale for concluding that Mei was the Another (over Kouichi's protests that Mei was not the Another), was that Mei was the girl that the guy Izumi was hot for was interested in. Or in other words, that she believed Suigiura's theory because it gave her a socially acceptable (in this limited circumstance) reason to let her yandere tendencies loose.
Old 2012-03-30, 00:29   Link #171
SoggySoyBean
Squishie

I appreciate how many people are snapping under the pressure and all but i don't really like how its shown - all ax-crazy and insane facial expressions. Just because you decide to take responsibility and make drastic decisions doesn't mean your mind goes bonkers and you start pulling ridiculous faces =.= I mean most people who do these things irl don't have some exaggerated deranged face on them, they're usually blank and quite normal, and describe the experience as detached, as if they were in a dream or experiencing it in third person. Its too bad the animators resorted to using such cliche caricatures to show characters who're having a breakdown.

I also noticed because of said faces people are attributing these bouts of aggression and possible mental instability to the characters disposition(personalities) and not there situation.
Spoiler for Surprise Psychology Lecture!:
ehhhhh i guess im just saying all these people holding it against the characters who threatened Mei shouldn't be so unforgiving. They're only fifteen, they're in a strange place with classmates dying horribly for some time now and they could be next. The hope of saving themselves alone is enough to kill someone ESPECIALLY if they think that persons already dead to begin with. And that's not yet considering those that have a responsibility to protect others like Akazawa or Sugiura, living in a collectivist society only heightens their sense of duty.

Stop hating on the cuties! its mean~~~ >_<
Old 2012-03-30, 00:36   Link #172
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Are you fucking kidding me? The cast just wrecked every likable character in this story. Mei's kinda cute, but with Mei not giving a shit and nor does Kouchi even though everyone fucking died and w/e. And poor Izumi. She died in such a retarded fashion for this show that I couldn't be fucked to understand what was going on.
Meaning?

The way she was killed off was ok to me....after all you should be prepared to die yourself if you are going to embark on a murder hunt and if you are going to involve an unrelated (in this case Kouichi) person then you bloody well deserve it too...

Quote:
ehhhhh i guess im just saying all these people holding it against the characters who threatened Mei shouldn't be so unforgiving. They're only fifteen, they're in a strange place with classmates dying horribly for some time now and they could be next. The hope of saving themselves alone is enough to kill someone ESPECIALLY if they think that persons already dead to begin with. And that's not yet considering those that have a responsibility to protect others like Akazawa or Sugiura, living in a collectivist society only heightens their sense of duty.

Stop hating on the cuties! its mean~~~ >_<
Oh there's nothing wrong per se in this case after all, it was pure self-preservation and thus "understandable"....just don't expect any sympathy if you die in the process. You want to kill? You better damn well make sure you can take what you dish out when the cycle comes to bite you in the ass since killing is never so simple or straightforward an act
Old 2012-03-30, 01:50   Link #173
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
Meaning?

The way she was killed off was ok to me....after all you should be prepared to die yourself if you are going to embark on a murder hunt and if you are going to involve an unrelated (in this case Kouichi) person then you bloody well deserve it too...
Why yes, I know the story portrayed her as worthy as being killed. It's unfortunate that it was too steep for me to take seriously. I mean, I found it pretty funny to be honest with all those lolfaces.

But with the building exploding, I guess random lightning strikes aren't as silly. Maybe.

And Mei, well, she willfully withheld information that caused a lot more people to die. They tried hard to pull the innocence portrayal on her but to me she's also culpable. Add in those oh so amazing last minute reveals, and I found neither the plot or characters to be compelling for me to try to figure out what is happening. So yea, I pretty much didn't care about anyone at the end. If they all died, it'd be the same. And thus, to me that was a pretty poor finale.

Oh and yea, I know to judge characters within their context. It's unfortunate that said context was fairly laughable and not worth considering since to me it was just all an excuse to rack up body counts.

MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-03-30 at 02:05.
Old 2012-03-30, 05:29   Link #174
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Why yes, I know the story portrayed her as worthy as being killed. It's unfortunate that it was too steep for me to take seriously. I mean, I found it pretty funny to be honest with all those lolfaces.

But with the building exploding, I guess random lightning strikes aren't as silly. Maybe.

And Mei, well, she willfully withheld information that caused a lot more people to die. They tried hard to pull the innocence portrayal on her but to me she's also culpable. Add in those oh so amazing last minute reveals, and I found neither the plot or characters to be compelling for me to try to figure out what is happening. So yea, I pretty much didn't care about anyone at the end. If they all died, it'd be the same. And thus, to me that was a pretty poor finale.
That is rather true....honestly I spent more time replaying the death scenes in slow/fast motion for lolz as I couldn't actually root for anyone to come out alive despite knowing how it would play out but well...

I'm not actually taking sides for any character....
Old 2012-03-30, 10:20   Link #175
Dark Wing

You know what's really messed up ably only will next years class have to try surviving the same curse. They may not be able to go on a class trip either after everything that went down at that inn. I really couldn't see anyone wanting that class in their facility.

Now that I think about it that probably why none of the other class has p.e. with them. I mean could you imagine having a friendly game of baseball and suddenly some poor soul gets impaled with a bat?
Old 2012-03-30, 17:50   Link #176
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Quote:
That is rather true....honestly I spent more time replaying the death scenes in slow/fast motion for lolz as I couldn't actually root for anyone to come out alive despite knowing how it would play out but well...

I'm not actually taking sides for any character....
Well, perhaps they can come up with a Another-themed Japanese gameshow. XD

MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-03-30, 20:50   Link #177
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Well, perhaps they can come up with a Another-themed Japanese gameshow. XD
Can you imagine the Dead One's curse on say...Sasuke? The body count would be like Roman gladiator games...
Old 2012-03-30, 23:49   Link #178
Soverence

I really liked this ending, I had a feeling that it couldn't be any of the students, mainly because most of the main cast was ruled out along the way (except for Izumi in my opinion, she was the only student I thought who could be the another) and all the rest of the students were so non-existent in the story that it Would have made no sense for them to be the Another. As I said, worked out well in my opinion .
Old 2012-03-31, 08:36   Link #179
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Can you imagine the Dead One's curse on say...Sasuke? The body count would be like Roman gladiator games...
It'll be on par with Battle Royale, Running Man, or, God forbid, Hunger Games.
Old 2012-04-04, 10:40   Link #180
klare

after finishing this, my mind is in peace

sadly they never explain who killed Reiko and did not show a Sakaki and Mei end

i am glad that i gave this show a try as it turns out to be the best show in winter for me