AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-10-19, 10:31   Link #21
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
How the hell can you read thirteen treekillers in two weeks? That's an entire book a day!
It's not like the books are hard to read. Jordan has a very descriptive yet succinct style that flows quite easily. And Sanderson, despite his talent as a storyteller, has an even simpler prose style.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 11:04   Link #22
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
The Wheel of Time... the reason why I got into fantasy. I've lost count of the books, but I have almost all of them (I don't have Eye of the World or the Great Hunt... I believe those are the first two books. I also don't have the latest book that's actually out... Towers of Midnight, I believe). Honestly though... I haven't read the series since I got into college (about five years ago). Crossroads of twilight was the most boring book out of all of them, at the time, and when I first read it, Lord of Chaos was the hardest book to get through... never liked the idea of Rand being captured by those bitches.

I think I need to start this series at the beginning again

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 11:22   Link #23
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post
The Wheel of Time... the reason why I got into fantasy. I've lost count of the books, but I have almost all of them (I don't have Eye of the World or the Great Hunt... I believe those are the first two books. I also don't have the latest book that's actually out... Towers of Midnight, I believe). Honestly though... I haven't read the series since I got into college (about five years ago). Crossroads of twilight was the most boring book out of all of them, at the time, and when I first read it, Lord of Chaos was the hardest book to get through... never liked the idea of Rand being captured by those bitches.

I think I need to start this series at the beginning again
i agree with you but you gotta love the ending that book. Asha'man with their rolling thunder and bitches having to kneel.
Old 2011-10-19, 15:12   Link #24
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i agree with you but you gotta love the ending that book. Asha'man with their rolling thunder and bitches having to kneel.
LoL. I still remember reading that book as a teenager. That's pretty much the exact reaction I had to it back then.

I am not a fan of Brandon Sanderson, though to be fair, Robert Jordan wasn't exactly a literary god himself. I wasn't particularly ecstatic when Sanderson took over the novels. The only good thing I have to say is that the story started moving again after a whole lot ennui by Jordan.

But, I think Brandon is even worse than Jordan when it comes to depicting female characters-groan@Egwene especially, but really all the females Brandon touches, I mean wtf happened to Berelain. Sure, Jordan wasn't particularly great to begin with when it comes to characterization, especially the women, but you got used to them over the course of twenty years. Brandon has also completely destroyed Matt and replaced him with...I don't even know what. I could write essays on all the characters that seemed to have been replaced with alien doppelgangers since he took over. Now, I know, some amount of change was going to happen when the author changes. But...I really dislike Brandon Sanderson. He's like the Twilight of swords and sorcery fantasy.

The only real consolation I get is that we will have a conclusion, whatever it may be, and since I've been reading this series since before the fall of the Soviet Union, any closure is welcome at this point.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-19, 17:00   Link #25
Suomi
Kaiba

Hmmm. I've heard they're quite good. I bought the first book at a used book sale, but didn't get around to reading it. I lent it to my chemistry/physics teacher last year to read, and forgot about it.
She got married, left the school, and moved away Guess I'll have to borrow it from a friend.

A Song of Ice and Fire. Well, Game of Thrones was excellent. I couldn't get more than halfway through Clash of Kings though, because it was so perverse and ugly. (this from me who read the Stieg Larsson Trilogy ). I don't mind some of that stuff, but there was not a good enough plot to go along with it (unlike the aforementioned trilogy.)

I read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy and LOVED it to death, personally, but I haven't read any of his other works.

I've heard that Patrick Rothfuss is another good, somewhat similar (?) author. The he Name of the Wind is the first book in his series.
Old 2011-10-19, 17:12   Link #26
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusore View Post
I read Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn Trilogy and LOVED it to death, personally, but I haven't read any of his other works.
Sanderson's newest series (the Stormlight Archive) is looking to be the next big fantasy series (even if only one book has been released so far). His other books...well they are okay, even fun, but only the Mistborn trilogy has a full narrative.
Old 2011-10-19, 21:41   Link #27
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusore View Post

A Song of Ice and Fire. Well, Game of Thrones was excellent. I couldn't get more than halfway through Clash of Kings though, because it was so perverse and ugly. (this from me who read the Stieg Larsson Trilogy ). I don't mind some of that stuff, but there was not a good enough plot to go along with it (unlike the aforementioned trilogy.)

I've heard that Patrick Rothfuss is another good, somewhat similar (?) author. The he Name of the Wind is the first book in his series.
A song of Fire and Ice... I tried that series, it it became far too grimdark for my tastes, considering that
Spoiler for Fire and ice:

As for Brandon... I read Elantris, and I was immediately hooked. I have his Mistborn trilogy, though I have yet to read it... currently working on David Eddings, but that's a compeltely different topic (as well as Rick Riordan's stuff)

Old 2011-10-20, 13:52   Link #28
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I have read the whole series. The first books are great. The middle ones are terrible, terrible soap operas. The ones at the end (after Brandon started writing) turned out for the better, so I am eagerly waiting for the conclusion of the series.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-06, 20:28   Link #29
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
How the hell can you read thirteen treekillers in two weeks? That's an entire book a day!
Your point? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Yeah i luaghed so hard at that scene, one of the best in the series

"Kneel, or you will be knelt"
Old 2011-11-27, 02:47   Link #30
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

sighs

the release date has been pushed back again to nov next year....

this is getting stupid first it was to be released this month then march next year and now its been pushed back to nov to get "more sales" honestly whenever they release it the fans will buy it straight away no matter what time of year it is.
Old 2013-01-11, 07:07   Link #31
idont

Final book is out. Can't wait till I get time to read it.
idont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-11, 09:10   Link #32
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

read it

Spoiler for book:
Old 2013-01-11, 14:53   Link #33
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

didn't even realize it was out.
Old 2013-01-11, 15:20   Link #34
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Nerabdator View Post
read it

Spoiler for book:

Haven't read the book myself (hell, I still need to read Knife of Dreams and Towers of Midnight ), but it sounds like...
Spoiler for my personal opinion:

Old 2013-01-11, 15:44   Link #35
james0246

Just got the book in the mail (its one of the last hard backs I'm ever going to buy, and mostly for collecting purposes). Haven't read it yet, but will starting this weekend.
Old 2013-01-11, 17:00   Link #36
Kirarakim

Oh no going to have to stay away from this thread, I am waiting for the Kindle edition.
Old 2013-01-11, 17:22   Link #37
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I suspect I've just gotten a bit burned out on the genre. I started reading the series right when the "omigod, people love to buy 2000 page sagas!!! Quick! to the presses!" fad started after LOTR hit it big the second time (first in the 60s, then again in the 80s).

I got halfway through the first book back when it was first published and still didn't care about what was happening. I think its well written but *I* was just entering a long phase where most written fiction didn't appeal to me much.
Old 2013-01-11, 20:09   Link #38
Kirarakim

I am completely burned on the fantasy genre as I have no interest in starting anything new when before I wanted to read everything I could.

Now I am quite content with finishing Jordan and hopefully Martin in my lifetime.

I also do read the occasional Tolkien Middle Earth books still but the fantasy genre in general I've given up on it.

Edit: As for Wheel of Time I think the main thing that kept me reading was Mat Cauthon, still one of my favorite fantasy characters.