AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2006-08-01, 17:01   Link #1
Karnot
Banned

Gundam's guts

Ok, lets imagine for a moment that Gundams creeped into the real world. It would be logical to suggest that you cant make a Gundam any smaller to fit all the nessesary technologies, wouldnt that be a right thought ?

Now, you see in SEED & Destiny a Gundam with a giant beam cannon inside their chest. The question is, how did they fit it in ? At the expense of what vital parts ? Because they fight and whatnot just as any other Gundam, and they have a giant beam cannon advantage. So why not equip every Gundam with it ?
Karnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 17:10   Link #2
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
We can assume that they are a major power drain, as well as not being as flexible as a hand carried or arm mounted weapon. This would make it more difficult for the average pilot to use, hence it's pretty much limited to heavy artillery MS. As for why every Gundam doesn't have it, their design specifications may not need it. We never see Kira using it in its supposed intended role, a close-combat deterrent, because who would charge headlong into a torso beam cannon? Thus we can assume that it's a too limited use weapon and other cannons are preferred.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 17:44   Link #3
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Indeed, the Chest canon is not practical. It might be good at melee combat, but it doesnt have zero fireing time, so a good pilot can most likely get out of the way.

Not to mention that targeting with that thing would be a pain in the arse.

And again in the melee - against a good oponent there is a good chance that you wont be able to afford to stand there facing him. Its a very situational weapon imo, not really needed for anyhting. ( The best use Kira made of it - used it as another thing to spam the grunts )
Old 2006-08-01, 19:38   Link #4
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, chest cannons are for super robots lol, I guess it doesn't look so cool on real robots.

Calamity and SF's chest cannons (actually abdomen cannon for SF), are developed from Aegis's Scylla cannon. They are directly powered by the suit's main engines, meaning, they could be the most powerful weapon in their arsenals.

Aegis has to transform to reveal the Scylla cannon, the Scylla mode, which is practically a large mobile cannon.

Calamity and SF's cannons are fixed infront of their engines. We know Freedom's nuclear reactor is in the abdomen, SF most probably has the same configuration and its Callidus beam cannon is right there in front. We can assume Calamity's Scylla cannon is directly infront of its engine as well.

Its not that hard to fix a gun infront of your engine, in fact there's a WWII US fighter plane which had a gun fixed right through its engine and fires straight from the middle of its propeller.

The Bell P-39 Airacobra: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Airacobra

Mounting a cannon in the middle of a suit is actually the best configuration for an artillery unit. Its the position for optimum accuracy and stability, which is also mentioned in the wiki entry for P-39. Stability in the sense that the body can stay firm from recoil and fire more accurate shots, compared to firing a hand carried rifle or over hanging back pack cannons. Its very effective for artillery and beam spamming units like Calamity and SF.

The chest/abdomen cannon is used during artillery attacks, like SF's Hi-MAT Full Burst(official name from SRW).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a cannon in the middle the chest or abs.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
C.A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 20:31   Link #5
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Offtopic a bit here, but does anyone find it funny that an "ace" is considered 60 kills, when in the more recent gundams, our main hero gets that score in one or two missions?
Old 2006-08-01, 20:34   Link #6
srb
I can see time itself!

Send a message via MSN to srb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demongod86
Offtopic a bit here, but does anyone find it funny that an "ace" is considered 60 kills, when in the more recent gundams, our main hero gets that score in one or two missions?
60 kills? A traditional flying ace has five kills under his belts.
srb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 20:49   Link #7
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yea 5 kills means an ace, Pokryshkin is just named there to be an outstanding Ace of 60 kills.

The famous 'Best Ace Pilot in history', Manfred von Richthofen the Red Baron, had 80 kills.

Old 2006-08-01, 22:08   Link #8
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

Red Baron has a plane that is "Three times as fast" as a normal fighter, no wonder he got 80 kills
SNT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-01, 22:19   Link #9
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
Red Baron has a plane that is "Three times as fast" as a normal fighter, no wonder he got 80 kills
lol

To get back on topic:

Most Gundams have arsenals that are still quite reasonable.

But Akatsuki is questionable, with a mystery power source, it can power itself and 7 DRAGOONs. The DRAGOONs fire beams and are able to project a barrier, I suppose they would need quite alot of power from the suit, which I don't think is powered by a nuclear engine.

Old 2006-08-02, 10:36   Link #10
AirMaster
キャシャーン

Send a message via MSN to AirMaster
I think the Akatsuki's lack of PS gives it more energy for it's weapon systems. Of course, it never runs out of energy in the show, so maybe the beams don't drain that much energy.
AirMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-02, 11:04   Link #11
RedFrame
A talking white tiger :O
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to RedFrame
Any name for Akatsuki special armour ?

RedFrame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-02, 11:16   Link #12
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrame
Any name for Akatsuki special armour ?
Mirror Coating.

Old 2006-08-02, 11:36   Link #13
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

The official name is "'Yata-no-Kagami' anti-beam defensive reflection system (armor coating)".
Old 2006-08-02, 11:46   Link #14
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Re: aces.
And Erich Hartmann had 352 kills.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-02, 12:06   Link #15
DarkWarrior
Anaheim Electronics

Akatsuki is a pretty big mystery.. if it doesn't have a nuclear reactor then it must have some other way of getting power. Maybe it reflects 90% of the beam and absorbs the 10%?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but in CE all beam weapons are powered directly by the reactors/batteries. So I don't get why that would make chest cannons so special.
DarkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-02, 12:21   Link #16
drgntig
i'm psychic.god says hi.

maybe the reason is......

i think that the gundam might have multiple power cells that do different things. this would explain why no mobbile suit ever runs out of energy. it's only logical.
drgntig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-02, 12:37   Link #17
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

I thought it was already explained above. CE MSes without a nuke reactor runs out because of the fat chunk that PS armor uses. Akatsuki has NONE of that. Besides, we never even see Akatsuki in prolonged battles.
Old 2006-08-02, 12:57   Link #18
DarkWarrior
Anaheim Electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNT1
I thought it was already explained above. CE MSes without a nuke reactor runs out because of the fat chunk that PS armor uses. Akatsuki has NONE of that. Besides, we never even see Akatsuki in prolonged battles.
Compare Akatsuki to the three EA druggie Gundams, which should've been built around similar times. The druggie Gundams had TPS, which only activated upon the point of impact, so the battery drain from PS should've been minimal. Yet they always ran out of power before too long. And Akatsuki's firepower far exceeds any of the druggie Gundams (21 beams from DRAGOONs + beam rifle), so it's natural to say that it doesn't make much sense. Not to mention it formed the insanely large beam shield that could cover entire ships more than once..

And I would count 2 episodes as a pretty long battle, but I guess that depends on your definition.
DarkWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-02, 13:00   Link #19
drgntig
i'm psychic.god says hi.

maybe the reason is..

maybee unlke the other gundams his gundam has upgraded energy pack.
drgntig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-08-02, 13:05   Link #20
SNT1
r0x0rz j00r b0x0rz

Hmmm. I thought they only leave battle because of the pilots themselves.... oh well.

Well, Akatsuki was supposed to be THAT advanced anyway (who says the nuke of the druggie MSes and Ak had to be equal in power output?) that it can probably kill any other MS in CE given a skilled pilot.

A nuke reactor would definitely violate the treaty. Orb having it in CE 73 will definitely be accepting that as a plot-hole (which wont be a problem in these forums, members accept GSD has a huge plothole anyways), or they could have Hyper-Deuteron reactord by CE71 already (...)