AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Fairy Tail

Notices

Old 2011-12-10, 09:17   Link #3941
ookamigirl

Lucy's encounter with the weird grimoire heart wizard was just ROLF
That guy sure was a dumbass.. but strong too.
Natsu sure did a number on Lucy's weirdo chaser, but the turnaround of power was just brutal on both Lucy and Natsu.
Using the cursed doll on Lucy while doing some serious ass kicking was amazing!!

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 10:26   Link #3942
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryus View Post

They even changed some things needlessly, like Lucy was supposed to have figured out on her own what Kain was doing in an instant but instead in the anime we got a lame and fairly long explanation from kain, followed by mr accouncer guy claiming it could end the world, and Happy responding to him mid episode. I was kinda wondering how anyone but a 9 year old could find that funny.
Protip: The shows target demographic IS 9 year olds.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 10:38   Link #3943
Tempest35
Awe of She
*Author

The only way Lucy Fire could have been better is if she suddenly started spinning like a drill at Natsu's 'HISATSU~!'...(seiyuu joke)

"Luuucy DRRIIIIIILLLUUU FAAAIIIIIYAAAAH!"
Old 2011-12-10, 10:43   Link #3944
GundamFan

I had mixed feelings about the episode it was funny and I enjoyed it in that regard but I wish they wouldn't make Lucy and her summons look so weak.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 11:15   Link #3945
Casshern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I don't think they give kids enough credit tbh. They've just shown Natsu setting the doll on fire and Happy taking it to high speed, then the narrator says "Allow me to explain; Natsu set the doll on fire and Happy took it to high speed." Even a 9 year-old would want to slap him and say "no shit!" The director is pretty crap imo.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 11:25   Link #3946
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
I don't think they give kids enough credit tbh. They've just shown Natsu setting the doll on fire and Happy taking it to high speed, then the narrator says "Allow me to explain; Natsu set the doll on fire and Happy took it to high speed." Even a 9 year-old would want to slap him and say "no shit!" The director is pretty crap imo.
I think you just missed the joke, frankly.
It's a parody of sentai shows. The cliche thing is that in sentai shows whenever a character uses a super power the narrator (or perhaps a scientist on scene, whoever) chimes in to "explain" the super power.... "Let me explain: By vibrating his teeth at supersonic speeds, Plaqueman creates extremely high pitched sonic waves that resonate with the titanium bones of his enemy, causing them to super heat and explode!"

etc...

So yes, it's stupid humor but it's rooted in classic sentai tropes. It's something frankly even middle aged people would find amusing if they were fans of these sorts of shows.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 12:31   Link #3947
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest35 View Post
The only way Lucy Fire could have been better is if she suddenly started spinning like a drill at Natsu's 'HISATSU~!'...(seiyuu joke)

"Luuucy DRRIIIIIILLLUUU FAAAIIIIIYAAAAH!"
Would have been even more awesome if he had said "Gattai!" and have Happy attach to Lucy, GL-style
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 12:43   Link #3948
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
It's a parody of sentai shows. The cliche thing is that in sentai shows whenever a character uses a super power the narrator (or perhaps a scientist on scene, whoever) chimes in to "explain" the super power.... "Let me explain: By vibrating his teeth at supersonic speeds, Plaqueman creates extremely high pitched sonic waves that resonate with the titanium bones of his enemy, causing them to super heat and explode!"

etc...

So yes, it's stupid humor but it's rooted in classic sentai tropes. It's something frankly even middle aged people would find amusing if they were fans of these sorts of shows.
So it's in essence a case a cultural gap between us western folks and the Japanese then. My first reaction to it was to facepalm at the seemingly unnecessary explaining but looking back at the scene with that knowledge I can see the joke.

This was without a doubt one of the funniest episodes in Fairy Tail for a while now and I for one was very happy to see it, things have been so tense lately that a bit of comic relief feel refreshing to keep the mood of us viewers up.
Old 2011-12-10, 14:10   Link #3949
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
Quote:

etc...

Thanks for the explanation, Quarkboy. Now I don't feel quite so abashed admitting I enjoy this sort of humor.

Anyone who thinks this episode was bad should definitely steer clear of Rave Master; FT is tame in comparison when it comes to this variety of humor.

While not an outright fan of the style, it is a guilty pleasure. Just one of those things that is better not to analyze, since that defeats the point of the silliness. It would be akin to critiquing classic cartoons like Looney Tunes or Merrie Melodies. I still enjoy watching reruns of those even now as an adult, silliness and all.
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 14:51   Link #3950
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Such delicious Lucy service and outright hilarity. One of the best overall eps in a long time.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-10, 16:37   Link #3951
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Hilarious ep. Kain was actually stronger than i had thought. Lucy Fire was awesome though.
Old 2011-12-10, 21:31   Link #3952
MasterVampire

Hey guys I was thinking about starting to watch this show.

But can anyone tell me how many episodes are in English so far and how often they come out?

I like watching english dubs over subs but I also noticed this show has like 100+ eps and Im just wondering if I should wait like full metal brotherhood or just watch them subbed.
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 01:03   Link #3953
MAX_COLA_POWER!

12 episodes, probably looking in a monthly/bi-monthly or more depending on Funimation's mood.
Old 2011-12-11, 03:50   Link #3954
sergel02

I just gotta say, I LOVE Gajeel's English voice. Suits him so well i think. Juvia's is nice too, though it sounds a bit old for her.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-12-11 at 13:43.
sergel02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 11:07   Link #3955
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
I just gotta say, I LOVE Gajeel's English voice. Suits him so well i think. Juvia's is nice too, though it sounds a bit old for her.
Some people got it early through RightStuf.com. That site literally ships their goods as soon as they get them, which is pretty frickin' damn early.

I can never resist watching things online, but because I'm very fond of this dub, the last thing I want for it to do is die, so I support the show by buying the DVDs as presents for other people.

That said, please don't link to other sites. There are people who'd much rather not pay for what they want to see, which is sad. Plus, it discourages people from supporting Funimation, which will prove fatal for this dub. Remember what happened to D.Gray-Man and Case Closed? Well, I have no reason to know that you would remember, but still, don't let the dub stop getting made.

I just know what you should be doing.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2011-12-11 at 13:43.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 14:57   Link #3956
sergel02

Well i bought the DVDs so i guess i didn't think much of it lol. But it makes sense.

Bu what happened to D-gray man! I was wondering why season 3 and 4 never got dubbed.
Old 2011-12-11, 15:48   Link #3957
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
Bu what happened to D-gray man! I was wondering why season 3 and 4 never got dubbed.
Because not enough people wanted to buy the DVDs, Funi couldn't afford to license and more seasons of D.Gray-Man and dropped it. Word has it that Funi's actually trying to get it back, but I have no way of knowing that for certain (don't ask where I heard because I can't even remember). I suppose it could be brought back through popular demand, but I don't want to have to go through that with Fairy Tail. It'd just waste time and prove agonizing for those who love this dub, myself included.

Old 2011-12-11, 17:07   Link #3958
sergel02

I was so ready for season 3 =(

Lenalee has that huge fight in that season, and I'm hoping to see Lucy or Levy or Wendy in a fight that big (and win). No one else helping them, just them alone with the enemy.
Old 2011-12-11, 21:43   Link #3959
GundamFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by immblueversion View Post
Because not enough people wanted to buy the DVDs, Funi couldn't afford to license and more seasons of D.Gray-Man and dropped it. Word has it that Funi's actually trying to get it back, but I have no way of knowing that for certain (don't ask where I heard because I can't even remember). I suppose it could be brought back through popular demand, but I don't want to have to go through that with Fairy Tail. It'd just waste time and prove agonizing for those who love this dub, myself included.
I hope you don't mind me chimming in but for those who don't have the money to buy the dvds please remember to check and see if there is official sub version of what you want to watch online. I know the commercials are annoying but they due help to pay for licensing and it is free.
GundamFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-11, 22:15   Link #3960
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamFan View Post
I hope you don't mind me chimming in but for those who don't have the money to buy the dvds please remember to check and see if there is official sub version of what you want to watch online. I know the commercials are annoying but they due help to pay for licensing and it is free.
People could use Adblock Plus if they use Firefox. It totally gets rid of all ads, plus it's free. In fact, I've been using it for so long that I constantly need to be reminded that ads even exist through the YouTube comments complaining about them.

Plus, people should watch the dubbed version as well if that were to help for Funi to dub the second season.

Tags
action, adventure, fantasy, shounen