AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-10-27, 17:41   Link #1
Deth moad ue

Gai's anti-sharingan method? Feasible against a true sharingan user?

So i've two questions RE: Gai's methods. It seems there are two. One is to concentrate on the feet of the user. The other is unknown.

1. What do you all think this other method is? If I recall, Gai mentioned that he didn't have time to teach the others in the heat of the moment. the phrasing makes me think that it's a painfully obvious.

Me guess is fighting with the eyes closed and relying on sound and changes in wind to fight...
of course, i don't think it's a very good method...as it doesn't account for jutsu or explosive bunshins and what have you...but short notice.

2. Do you really think it would be effective against itachi, or even sasuke after a little growth? I don't. Gai's only had kakashi to train against...and His sharingan, powerful though it may be, does not have the same power as that of a true bloodline user...

It's kinda like practicing swinging at a nerf ball to train for Pro baseball in my eyes.

So..what say you all?
Deth moad ue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 18:19   Link #2
stylez
Hokage

Send a message via MSN to stylez
Well even if Gai was concentrating on Itachi's feet, Itachi would still be able to read his movements, also that Gai is fokusing on the feets makes him voulnorable against ninjutsu, were Gai cant see his hand seals. Kakashi's sharingan is as you said not a true sharingan with the bloodlimit, and has mostly the genjutsu abilities, as we saw against Zabusa. He needs eye contact to copy his techniques, and to start that complex hypnosis. So no, Gai's anti sharingan method wouldnt be so efective...
stylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 18:24   Link #3
Shrimpusmaximus

Feasable in that you don't get eye raped, yes. Feasible in giving you an advantage, no. THere is still the pesky eye of insight... only a zabuza style mist technique would help you. And no the sharingan doesn't need eye contact to copy, look at sasuke cheating in the chuunin exam.
Shrimpusmaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 18:56   Link #4
lotus_lee

Gai's nice-guy pose would mash up Itachi's eyes anytime.
lotus_lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 18:58   Link #5
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

Gai has really firm buttocks ... so does Lee.
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 19:05   Link #6
xyrrus

I would have to say first that Itachi's or any Uchiha's Sharingan/MS's ability is limited. By that I mean there *might* be ways to fight Itachi and still be able to look at him face to face. I say that because Itachi didn't use it on Jiraya and from what I've gathered, Jiraya isn't a taijutsu type like Gai is. And if Itachi says that he and Kisame could lose their lives if they fought Jiraya, it serves to indicate that there there are more than meets the eye(no pun intended) when trying to counter against the Sharingan.
xyrrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 19:12   Link #7
MysticNinjaJay
Ninja Emperor

Gai was pretty confident in his ability to neutralize the sharingan. We know one method was to focus on the feet and he had an unknown other method which may have consisted of looking at certain angles or something we don't know but I'm sure it would have worked effectively. Would he beat Itachi? I doubt it even with the advantage of not getting hypnotized Itachi is a fierce opponent and there are other ways to use sharingan to your advantage, such as anticipating attacks as well as hand seal motions which is likely how Kakashi was able to do Zabazu's hand seals at the exact same time. He could anticipate the next seal the same way Sasuke could see Naruto's next move. But we don't know what else Gai is capable of besides everything he taught Lee and summoning frogs. Gai would probably give Itachi a good fight. Kakashi might even be a better opponent if they had a rematch. But I doubt either would win.
MysticNinjaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 19:23   Link #8
Kadius
Lemon Merchant

Send a message via AIM to Kadius
My guess is that you have to look into the user's eye for the sharingan to have any effect on your mind.

And I agree that Gai would probably give Itachi a good fight. Kakashi was beaten so easily by Itachi because he didn't know about the Mangekyou Sharingan. He can't perform it, so there was no way he would know that it was unsafe to look Itachi in the eyes; even with his sharingan eye. Gai's strategy is the way to go.
Kadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 19:31   Link #9
Necrodeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by stylez
Well even if Gai was concentrating on Itachi's feet, Itachi would still be able to read his movements, also that Gai is fokusing on the feets makes him voulnorable against ninjutsu, were Gai cant see his hand seals.[...]
Well now...let's see here...Just a little test.

Look at the top of your door, did you do it yet? You'd better....
Now, notice you can still see the bottom of the door?
You're just not concentrating/focusing on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Gai's buttocks are way sexier then Lee's...
Necrodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 19:49   Link #10
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadius
My guess is that you have to look into the user's eye for the sharingan to have any effect on your mind.

And I agree that Gai would probably give Itachi a good fight. Kakashi was beaten so easily by Itachi because he didn't know about the Mangekyou Sharingan. He can't perform it, so there was no way he would know that it was unsafe to look Itachi in the eyes; even with his sharingan eye. Gai's strategy is the way to go.
Sorry but its is clearly shown that Kakshi knew about the Mangekyu Shaingan...because if he did not know about it he would have not been so scared and tell the others to close theyr eyes...and Kakshi Keep his eye open because he knew that the Sharingan could resist this gengetsu...

And Gai strat is the way to go with a Sharingan user like Kakshi who is weaker than itachi and is Minus one Sharingan eye.
Old 2004-10-27, 20:23   Link #11
Hanbok
nahmoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexander
Well, I'm glad you notice that... Anyway the bodies fat usually go to the ass, belly, and chin.
Hanbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 20:44   Link #12
hiko

Has Kishimoto ever revealed in interviews or whatever an interest in HK Kung Fu films? I just wonder because in Legendary Weapons of China there's a spiritual boxing technique, which involves a gleaming eye that hypnotises it's victims. The way to counter it turned out to be holding a reflective surface behind your head (in this case a Kwan Do - which is like a staff with a broad blade on the end), to blind and disorient the opponent.

Funnily enough the practitioners of this technique turned out to be brothers, the older being a clan outcast.
hiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 21:38   Link #13
Real
....Elemental....

Ok, I question the the fact that Gai made up any technique at all for fighting an opponent without making eye-contact.

Taking into account Kakashi being the one he developed this technique to fight against, what eye-contact based attack have we seen Kakashi posess?? Not his coppying abilites, thoses arent based on eye-contact. Unless we've yet to see some seriously bad-ass Jutsu from Kakashi (to be activated by just looking at an opponent would make a jutsu near MS level) Gai's strategy seems a little too convienient.

On topic: Gai's strategy seems like a sound one. Itachi wanted no part of a battle after Gai showed up. I know he said he didn't want to start a war, but he had no problem fighting the other Jounins, the only new addition was Gai(could be wrong about that).
Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 21:53   Link #14
ILikeSquiReLz
<ˆ>(`;´)<ˆ>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real
On topic: Gai's strategy seems like a sound one. Itachi wanted no part of a battle after Gai showed up. I know he said he didn't want to start a war, but he had no problem fighting the other Jounins, the only new addition was Gai(could be wrong about that).

Don't forget the bluff about the Anbu's that Gai mentioned, and he didn't want to fight Kakashi either, he wanted no confrontations with anyone as far as I can tell. he never made a jesture to fight, it seems to me he just doesn't care, he has other motives and that a fight will only prolong him from what he needs to do. And I hate how people make it seem like he feared something from anyone, cause he really didn't(ie he didn't want to fight Kakashi either, but he still wasted him like he was nothing when it came to it) Jaraiya in the other case he seemed to show some concerns about(ie "I can't believe I had to use Ameterasu" Itachi), since he knew next to nothing about this Legendary sanin, and plus he has already used up alot of his Chakra, and even with Jaraiya present he didn't hold back on using Tsukyomi on Sasuke which I think says alot, even tho he knew Jaraiya was there he still used a technique he knows drains alot of his chakra.... just some things to think about.
ILikeSquiReLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 22:19   Link #15
Kadius
Lemon Merchant

Send a message via AIM to Kadius
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uchiha_Rurik
Sorry but its is clearly shown that Kakshi knew about the Mangekyu Shaingan...because if he did not know about it he would have not been so scared and tell the others to close theyr eyes...and Kakshi Keep his eye open because he knew that the Sharingan could resist this gengetsu...
Well, that's all well and good. But you forget about Haku's observation about the sharingan. It has hypnotic powers. (Remember the girl Itachi hypnotized to lure Jiraiya away from Naruto? Yeah.) And I'm sure that's the reason Kakashi told them to close their eyes and the reason for Gai knowing not to look into a sharingan user's eyes.

You make it sound as if all the Uchiha's had the mangekyou sharingan... only Itachi had it; not many people are willing to kill their best friend over a stupid technique. Morals also come into play. There's no way Kakashi knew, he thought he had the ultimate form of the sharingan and that he'd be able to resist it. But he was wrong.
Kadius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 22:25   Link #16
MysticNinjaJay
Ninja Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiko
Has Kishimoto ever revealed in interviews or whatever an interest in HK Kung Fu films? I just wonder because in Legendary Weapons of China there's a spiritual boxing technique, which involves a gleaming eye that hypnotises it's victims. The way to counter it turned out to be holding a reflective surface behind your head (in this case a Kwan Do - which is like a staff with a broad blade on the end), to blind and disorient the opponent.

Funnily enough the practitioners of this technique turned out to be brothers, the older being a clan outcast.
Gai did mention taking his lucky mirror to battle. maybe thats the "other" method he was referring to for defending against Sharingan. Hmmmmm............
MysticNinjaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 22:33   Link #17
Real
....Elemental....

Im sure some advanced gen-jutsu would have been sufficient to hypnotize some random woman...
Real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 22:36   Link #18
socomberetta
Dreaming of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShurikenJay
Gai did mention taking his lucky mirror to battle. maybe thats the "other" method he was referring to for defending against Sharingan. Hmmmmm............
Yeah, right before Itachi uses the Mangekyou Sharingan, Gai pulls out the mirror and Itachi MS's himself.

Id like to call this method the Medusa Effect.
socomberetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-27, 23:32   Link #19
ILikeSquiReLz
<ˆ>(`;´)<ˆ>

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShurikenJay

Maybe he could use the mirror to see what Itachi is doing or what a Sharingan user is doing and not be effected by the eye since he is only seeing the reflection
(ie reflections doesn't produce the same energy as dirrectly from the eyes themselves)
ILikeSquiReLz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-28, 00:00   Link #20
socomberetta
Dreaming of you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILikeSquiReLz
(ie reflections doesn't produce the same energy as dirrectly from the eyes themselves)
If this holds up in the manga, then all anyone would need to negate the power of the MS, or the Sharingan's hypnotic effects, are two way mirrors fitted to fit an eye-glass frame. No, goggles would be a better choice to fit two-way mirrors in...

That is of course two-way mirrors actually exist in the Narutoverse...
socomberetta is offline   Reply With Quote