AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-04, 15:59   Link #61
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
My monthly manga runs usually involve picking up several shoujo beat titles as well as other cute/romance/'girly' manga. I like to mess with the people that give me funny looks too. If there's some guy buying 'manly' manga that's doing it, I usually switch to somewhat stereotypical 'flaming' tendencies to throw him off and smile and walk away. It was useful to get people away from me in high school and sadly, it still works.

That being said, I have been keeping up, just forget this thread is here. I picked up volume 5 the other day, and I still can't get over "jumbo gal". "Amazon" in the fansubs I got just sounded a lot better. The other problem I had wasn't really that big a deal: during the Valentine's Day, they constantly mention giving out Valentines, which personally reminds me of giving out cards in 3rd grade. "Just friends", "True Love" and "For real" Valentines sounds... kinda cheesy. I may be mistaken (and I'd have to look over way too many volumes of Viz manga to check), but I think they may have used the terms giri choco/chocolate and honmei choco/chocolate in other Viz translations before, so what's the problem here? And since Viz is now putting those translation notes at the back of their manga now, there's really no reason not to.
Old 2008-03-04, 23:53   Link #62
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, the "jumbo gal" choice of words is just wretched when the completely obvious "amazon" (or even "Valkyrie") would be more targeted. And yeah, they could have just left the choco-types alone with a footnote.

I kind of get the feeling they really can't get a bearing on the translation style... like they can't decide whether to eliminate the japanese flavor or accentuate it.

I'll admit I'm mostly buying to show support for the kinds of manga I like --- but it does make me wonder where they find their translators sometimes and what kind of research they do. Kind of makes me want to press forth and become a translator.
Old 2008-03-05, 10:58   Link #63
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

That's kind of my thoughts on the matter, and apparently there's an internship with Viz available to college students to get my foot in the door, though at this point I'm thinking Tokyopop's may be better in the long run when I see some of the localization Viz does. And Viz is in San Francisco. I've heard ugly things about the cost of living over there. Apparently more than living in/near Los Angeles for Tokyopop.

I think one of the problems may be that Viz is kind of stretching themselves thin with translators. I have no idea how large their company staff actually is, but I can't imagine that one group works on more than a few titles at a time. It seems lately like Viz is snapping up a lot more titles than other companies, so it may be that some series get pushed onto less talented translators and editors.
Old 2008-03-05, 12:09   Link #64
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Heh, a $100,000 house where I live is nearly a million in California.
Old 2008-03-05, 13:14   Link #65
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
That's kind of my thoughts on the matter, and apparently there's an internship with Viz available to college students to get my foot in the door, though at this point I'm thinking Tokyopop's may be better in the long run when I see some of the localization Viz does. And Viz is in San Francisco. I've heard ugly things about the cost of living over there. Apparently more than living in/near Los Angeles for Tokyopop.
When I was in SF I'd constantly check their site for intern news. Unfortunately, last I checked anyways, it seems they're looking for editors, not translators. Another thing is they only hire interns for the summer, which is problematic if you don't actually live there (cost of living was too high for me to stay over summers). So.. it's really not as neat as it looks at first.

//end off-topic-ness
Old 2008-03-05, 16:51   Link #66
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I suppose it depends on what they mean by an "editor" job. If I came across "jumbo gal" as a translation, my editing pen would be all over it

offtop: and yes, a house that goes for $100K in Houston goes for $1M in SF if you could even find one. $400K+ in Portland...
Old 2008-03-05, 17:06   Link #67
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

The information on the internship said they prefer the applicant to be able to understand Japanese, so I can't help but think that the editor is involved at least on some level with the translation, not just revising the final product. But even as just an editor, there should come a point where they decide something doesn't sound quite right and there's a better term that still fits the idea and translation.
Old 2008-03-05, 17:24   Link #68
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

aye, my understanding of the job "editor" in both professional or hobby work is that they take raw translations (though still needing both language and cultural knowledge) and clean them up to:
1) sound more natural (aka "jumbo gal" fails right here)
2) add whatever is necessary to recover nuances lost in the raw translation.
3) make sure each character's dialog retains a consistent style, personality, and accent.
4) decide how to handle things like honorifics, food, cultural events and idioms in a consistent manner.

This requires an editor to have basic knowledge of Japanese (for comparison against original text and kanji) and some grasp of the layered implications of particular kanji or words (especially in punnery, proverbs, or idiomatic phrases).

Raw translations are often done by a native Japanese speaker with english proficiency and the editor is English native with Japanese proficiency.... a collaborative process in some respect.
Old 2008-04-13, 06:25   Link #69
NEONJE

I love this Manga and Anime

I just wanted to say that I just watched all of the Anime and then I read the Manga up to chapter 51.

Risa has so much personality and when she goes through her little sad and happy moments, I feel like I go through them with her. Sure, she is super tall and sort of funny looking at times, but her personality makes her beautiful. It also makes me a little sad that I don't or have never had a girlfriend like her. When watching the Anime, it was hard to believe that such a beautiful emotional story like this is just made up fiction.

I think both the Manga and Anime have their strong points but I really loved the anime most. The character expressions were perfect. The last 5 episodes make the whole series worth it and are the best romance episodes I have ever seen point blank. When Otani first told her how he felt and gave her the 1st kiss, her expression and reaction choked me up in a big way. Then again at the sporting event when her told her again how he felt causing her to cry in joy the rest of the day. Both episodes choked me up to the point of teas. I really felt stupid considering I'm pretty much a warm blooded normal guy but thinking about the scenes are causing me to tear up a little as I type this.

It's really funny how much Manga and Anime can affect me. Before I got into Manga and Anime, I read American comics and I can't think of any titles that ever caused me to feel emotions while reading.

Anyway, I just wanted to add my 2 cents. Thanks!

Jeffrey Gibson
Old 2008-04-13, 09:43   Link #70
annabloem
anime-otaku

I like the series 2
Old 2008-04-16, 22:27   Link #71
nanafan
horo fan

hey guys.. thought i disappeared off the face of the earth right? almost did just been hecka busy. anyways is there gonna be another season?
Old 2008-04-16, 22:52   Link #72
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... this is the manga thread. You should really ask that question in the anime thread.
But just to be polite,
Very unlikely.... there's some material to do an "epilog OVA" with but that's about it. The anime series covered the entire story.

The english release of the manga is up to volume 5 with volume 6 being released in May 2008. The manga is worth reading because although the anime tracked it pretty closely, there's a lot of additional story moments that didn't make it into the anime.
Old 2008-04-20, 00:07   Link #73
NEONJE

Did it reall cover the entire story???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Well... this is the manga thread. You should really ask that question in the anime thread.
But just to be polite,
Very unlikely.... there's some material to do an "epilog OVA" with but that's about it. The anime series covered the entire story.

The english release of the manga is up to volume 5 with volume 6 being released in May 2008. The manga is worth reading because although the anime tracked it pretty closely, there's a lot of additional story moments that didn't make it into the anime.
I thought the Anime only went up to chapter 46.... Is this not true... I know chapter 46 is about the university tests and all. How does the actual manga end. I don't mind it being spoiled. Do they plan to stay together even though he goes to the university and she doesn't.

Jeffrey

I wish a sequel manga would appear. I like the idea of an ongoing that is about a relationship and not about stuff like all the people and things trying to rip them apart.
Old 2008-04-20, 05:28   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm only reading the english translation of the manga as its released (licensed) ... so I'm actually avoiding knowing exactly how the manga ends (though I think it only goes into the university period a bit, sort of an epilog).

And no, I don't want anyone to spoiler the ending.
Old 2008-04-20, 12:12   Link #75
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Spoiler for End:
Old 2008-04-20, 18:27   Link #76
nanafan
horo fan

rofl at tiger 2. i don't know if they will do a sequel, they already did a chapter after the end of the manga right?
Old 2008-04-20, 21:23   Link #77
NEONJE

Meanie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerII View Post
Spoiler for End:
You big meanie!
Old 2008-04-20, 21:24   Link #78
NEONJE

Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanafan View Post
rofl at tiger 2. i don't know if they will do a sequel, they already did a chapter after the end of the manga right?
Yeah they did sort of, but it really doesn't tell you anything.

JmG
Old 2008-04-21, 08:25   Link #79
TigerII
Pilot in Training

Spoiler for Lovely Complex Final:
Old 2008-05-08, 11:31   Link #80
cheerio_888

I've read Love Com Plus, and I think it's the end already. Sigh. I wish
Spoiler for wish about the ending:
Closed Thread