AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 10
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 114 53.27%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 48 22.43%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 26 12.15%
7 out of 10 : Good... 10 4.67%
6 out of 10 : Average... 7 3.27%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.47%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 3 1.40%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.47%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 4 1.87%
Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-09-09, 11:18   Link #301
Kmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari
Meanwhile, Godfree was indeed quite an idiot for that whole training session, especially if you consider the context between Kuradeel and Kirito. That and his request to take care of all crystals, completely irresponsible should a real abnormal situation arise (aside of this one, you could have laughing coffin ambushing them, or irregular mob etc).
Speaking of which, I was also surprised big time that Kuradeel and especially Kirito had so few crystals: even if it is only the 55th floor, that's a little careless to have only 1 heal and teleport crystal.

On the other hand, it seems they really forgot about Battle Regeneration skill like last week huh? Dramatic low hp nonetheless, at least make it visible it isn't moot to introduce it (I don't think Kirito would be confident enough to unequip this skill in both events anyway).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard
I know this one's been discussed to death in the intervening pages, but Kirito didn't turn over any healing potions...

Also, considering how paranoid Kirito likely is as a long-time solo player why should you assume he turned them ALL over? Kuradeel turned over two, Kirito turned over two. Kirito is a much higher level player, and solo's full time... He's probably got a junk drawer full of the things. Likely he looked at what Kuradeel turned in, and matched the numbers. He just made the mistake of turning over a anti-status crystal. But that would be a (semi) safe move if he knew the monsters on the floor didn't use status debuffs.
I didn't know of the differences in potions and crystals. There was a reply mentioning the healing difference of them. We're all just making assumptions of what was turned in though, but most would agree turning in safety measures in the SAO game is just idiotic of Godfrey. In MMOs that have potions for each condition everyone carried multiple pots, solo or grouped, so I don't doubt Kirito has more in his inventory but I can only interpret what I see in anime.

I was also thinking of battle regen, but I remembered it was something health per seconds, not every second. I went back to watch the mention in epi 4 and he said it was 600 health per 10 seconds when he was level 78?. Ignoring all the time it takes to deliver lines and instead just focusing on creeper's stabs into Kirito was in succession then it was probably less than 30 seconds before Asuna's arrival. Even if the skill progressed further it wouldn't be significant enough against direct damage in his medium to light seeming armor.

There are people in their 50s playing MMOs right now!
Kmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 11:43   Link #302
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
That doesn't mean they sleep topless, though. Unless they just engaged in some activity that required removing all clothes and didn't feel like putting something on afterwards.
Well, I think the main argument isn't whether or not she was sleeping with a bra/shirt on. More important is that she got comfortable enough with Kirito that she was willing to sleep next to him without a shirt/bra, and that's quite the transition from the scene just previous where she was embarrassed to be mostly-naked in front of him. Also noting Asuna's reaction to see him next to her when she woke up; trust and contentment. So the implication is that "something" happened in between those two scenes to increase their closeness and comfort level with each other. As for what that "something" could be... they leave it to the imagination. I suppose there isn't only one possible answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Speaking of that, I find it interesting that everyone is like "Kirito you go dawg!" and no one is like "Nice going, Asuna!". Yet these same people have been tossing around the sexist ball for several threads.
To be fair, I don't think it's necessarily the same people (and I, for one, am happy for both of them, as I alluded to in my previous post).

In regards to the arguments from the last few weeks... I think the episode did a pretty good job at addressing them. I still wasn't totally enamoured with the duel, and how her "what were you thinking?!" was mostly out of concern that he could be beaten... but he did admit he just got into it without thinking, so I can sort of give it a pass. But them diving into Kirito's trauma and his reasons for avoiding people, culminating with Asuna's declaration that "I'll be the one to protect you", followed by the later scene, does a fair bit to restore her credibility as an equal partner to Kirito. Whereas the last few episodes were emphasizing his strength, this episode was really emphasizing her strength as an anchor for the troubled Kirito. Her taking the initiative after his "I want to be with you tonight" was also pretty good in that regard; even if he did mean what she thought he meant, she was still the one to actually initiate it, and that was a nice touch. So I think there are still a few things that could be nit-picked about, but I think it has mostly resolved itself at this point. If you put everything in context, I think it's clearer what the anime is trying to say about the two characters on the whole.
Old 2012-09-09, 11:49   Link #303
Kiritouu

I seriously think all this happy scenes with Asuna and Kirito are just signs that something bad will happen to them....heck, even Asuna said it....I HOPE NOT D:<
Kiritouu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 12:42   Link #304
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, I think the main argument isn't whether or not she was sleeping with a bra/shirt on. More important is that she got comfortable enough with Kirito that she was willing to sleep next to him without a shirt/bra, and that's quite the transition from the scene just previous where she was embarrassed to be mostly-naked in front of him.
I agree with your analysis, but I think it's worth pointing out that she was embarrassed because she was in her underwear while he was still fully clothed.

Naked guy looking at her naked = all right, happy fun time!

Clothed guy looking at her naked = makes her self-conscious about her nudity.

By the time of the bedroom scene, that's not such an issue any more.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 12:47   Link #305
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by miroku2192 View Post
Asuna's "Heal" crystal did disappear the instant she used hers on Kirito. Not sure if that means it's a 1-time thing, or a coincidence that that was the "last" supposed charge. Or if the "boom"/fragmented look happens all the time after you use it once, and it just repops into your inventory as an empty container until you "charge" it again.
Or the heal crystals in SAO happen to have very large stack sizes (i.e. one inventory slot 99 crystals)
Raviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 12:49   Link #306
Clarste
Human

Quote:
I agree with your analysis, but I think it's worth pointing out that she was embarrassed because she was in her underwear while he was still fully clothed.

Naked guy looking at her naked = all right, happy fun time!

Clothed guy looking at her naked = makes her self-conscious about her nudity.

By the time of the bedroom scene, that's not such an issue any more.
He was still clothed in the second scene though. Which I thought was weird actually.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 12:54   Link #307
Jinx999

Hmm.

This episode seemed a bit rushed to me. They could have stretched it out more - especially as it's a good place to have included some side stories.

IMHO, they should have introduced Heathcliff earlier. he played a minor role in one of the side stories and had been mentioned also, IIRC, but with those scenes cut he seems to come out of nowhere, instead of being one of the most important and famous people in SAO.

They really should have included Kirito's recovery from his little faux pas, even though they couldn't have included the scene that wasn't included in the novels.

On - and Godfrey was an idiot taking the crystals and Kirito was an idiot for handing them over. There's a good reason why life endangering hazing is not encouraged.
Jinx999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 13:18   Link #308
miroku2192
Let's Puppystyle!

Was browsing through all the pages, and just wanted to echo a comment someone had made regarding Heathcliffe's reactions as well as his actions towards Kirito.

Heathcliffe really does remind me of an overbearing father (though I hope to God he is NOT Asuna's Father, or in any way related to her in the "real world". But seriously though, can't help but think of Sankarea and the whole "Duel me!" scene, haha --> Anyone else got that reference/vibe?).
Old 2012-09-09, 14:16   Link #309
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

I watched Sankarea, but didn't immediately think of that scene after watching this episode lol.

Anyway, episode was pretty awesome. Kirito x Asuna interaction soo good. I love 'em so much. Asuna was too adorable, just too adorable. x3

@Jinx: The first several eps were side stories.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 14:38   Link #310
Adigard

Quote:
There are no classes in SAO, only skills -- one-handed sword, axe, rapier, cooking, tracking, etc. Given that we've seen several cases in which a character gets disarmed during a battle, why wouldn't everyone select hand-to-hand combat as a skill?
For that matter, as the boss in the last episode showed, you can easily fight with a 1H sword and the occasional hand to hand melee hit. So it'd be sort of reasonable for Kirito to train an unarmed skill for the occasional melee skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx999 View Post
On - and Godfrey was an idiot taking the crystals and Kirito was an idiot for handing them over. There's a good reason why life endangering hazing is not encouraged.
Nothing says Kirito handed over 100% of his crystals... as was pointed out earlier, he handed over the same number that Kuradeel handed over. I'd imagine he'd have quite a lot of crystals being a pure solo player who'd need to rely on them quite heavily at times.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 14:43   Link #311
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
He was still clothed in the second scene though. Which I thought was weird actually.
Couple of reasons I reasons I think:

1- All it takes to get dressed is to push a button.

2- He got off the bed. I'm not sure what the show is rated as but it sure ain't that.

3- Who really wants to see a guy topless anyway? Even if the guy is.. er wait.. not me. That's enough. Seriously.

Yes, I'm assuming that happened. Let's not be all plausible deniability here. It happened. And the world is a better place for it.
Old 2012-09-09, 14:54   Link #312
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
Who really wants to see a guy topless anyway? Even if the guy is.. er wait.. not me. That's enough. Seriously.
No, we need both sides to be fair to all the fans

Quote:
Yes, I'm assuming that happened. Let's not be all plausible deniability here. It happened. And the world is a better place for it.
The Militant Romanticist denies it happened, for it has crushed her imagination from the poor execution of the aftermath.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 15:45   Link #313
Seitsuki
Onee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
No, we need both sides to be fair to all the fans
I deny that side of the fandom. I deny it with all my heart. You will not sway me. I don't think that way at all. Really. Not even a bit. Do I look like that sort of person? Don't look at me like that!

Quote:
The Militant Romanticist denies it happened, for it has crushed her imagination from the poor execution of the aftermath.
What kind of Romanticist would shy away from the most romantic outcome available? Besides if your imagination needs help, there are plenty of doujins out there. That I've heard of. Not that I've read. No ma'am. Pure and innocent here.
Old 2012-09-09, 15:59   Link #314
M1sFyr3
I eat babies

Quote:
Couple of reasons I reasons I think:

1- All it takes to get dressed is to push a button.

2- He got off the bed. I'm not sure what the show is rated as but it sure ain't that.

3- Who really wants to see a guy topless anyway? Even if the guy is.. er wait.. not me. That's enough. Seriously.

From how he brought up marriage after that night, pretty sure something fun happened between the two, so I agree. Considering it's basically night and Asuna already undressed in front of Kirito. I doubt Asuna just decided to recloth herself and the 2 decided to take an evening walk and then went back to sleep in the same bed with Asuna partially undressed. From seen before, it is not necessary to undress before sleep.
Old 2012-09-09, 16:05   Link #315
vansonbee
❤Ichigo 100%❤

After the death of the bearded character and the murder. Did the couple make a report? Any backlashes from the guild (their own speculation)? Everything moves so fast and was too focus on the romance.
Old 2012-09-09, 16:05   Link #316
Znail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solafighter View Post
Missing the dialog from the novel..

Spoiler for novel content:

I dont think they did it.
How did you come to that conclusion?
Spoiler for novel, comparison to Chapter 16:

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-09-09 at 16:28. Reason: added a bit more detail to the spoiler tag label
Znail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 16:08   Link #317
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Let it go, young one (your anger, not your imagination) or your anger will consume you.

Spoiler for Possible crossover speculation, just in case:

On a side note, I gave a chuckle when Kirito imagined Asuna handing him one of her wonderful sandwiches, and then looked down in the bag, and a plain, old, boring lunch.

Endless "Crossover" Soul
Old 2012-09-09, 16:25   Link #318
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Some/Most girls don't sleep with their bras on.
But there is guy beside her and she even acted like "so in love", not a slight of embarrassment and awkwardness that she's naked in front of him...

And look at Kirito's face, this face is similar to the face from a romance novel after having that night with a lover ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
As for what that "something" could be... they leave it to the imagination. I suppose there isn't only one possible answer..
Guess it's the author's fault for making the "chapter" exist... now it became confusing....

I say the possibility that it happen is 70%
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-09, 16:33   Link #319
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
After the death of the bearded character and the murder. Did the couple make a report? Any backlashes from the guild (their own speculation)? Everything moves so fast and was too focus on the romance.
Well, I think we should wait and see what happens; it may be brought up again next episode, because, to follow through on Kirito and Asuna's plans to take a break from the front lines, they'll need to get leave from the guild.
Old 2012-09-09, 16:41   Link #320
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansonbee View Post
From what was shown in the anime, no.
Adigard is offline   Reply With Quote