AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Psycho-Pass

Notices

View Poll Results: Psycho-Pass - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 17 28.33%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 31.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 21 35.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 3.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.67%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-11-17, 23:41   Link #81
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

That was one awesome episode and a promising start to a good arc. I am actually surprised that Makishima was involved in so many cases and he seems to have fun to building new murderers. His latest victim(?) is one creepy ojou type. And her art was...disturbing at least...

It was fun to see Akane interacting with her colleagues and this shows more of his personality. Now that Kougami is more determined than ever to find out the truth of his partner's death, I wonder how this new murder case will impact him. Next up, school time!
Old 2012-11-18, 01:25   Link #82
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
How about we imagine this:

What if, by some means, Makishim's Psycho Pass parameters suddenly come out as normal? Thus forcing the bureau to find him without Dominators?

That would be one hell of a twist.
Some of you guys are already discussing the possibility indirectly in the Philosophy thread, but I think you are onto something. And perhaps that's where the story is heading toward. Theoretically a person can beat the lie detector test when he/she is telling the lie by truly believing it. Another way would be to have no memory of any wrong doing. Sibyl system, in the end, is a product of algorithm where certain input gives a particular output. So while I recognize what Kanon is saying, it can still be argued that no system is full proof.

Btw, funnily enough I remembered another reference of such character in one of Agatha Christie's book last night. I still can't remember the name of the book or the villain who Hercule Poirot slowly came to recognize as someone who was a master at recognizing the vulnerability of the person in a certain situation, and then created that push needed to have those people commit murder.
Old 2012-11-18, 07:11   Link #83
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
How about we imagine this:

What if, by some means, Makishim's Psycho Pass parameters suddenly come out as normal? Thus forcing the bureau to find him without Dominators?

That would be one hell of a twist.
It would be, and I have a theory on the Crime Coefficient that might make it possible.

We don't really know what precisely it is that the CC is a measurement of.

But Monir raising the "lie detector test" made me think that what the CC is measuring might be simple guilt (or at least a person's guilt factors in considerably into the score). It's just quantifying precisely how guilty people feel about themselves and/or their actions.

But what if you run into a criminal that's completely amoral, and hence feels no guilt over his or her actions? Or what if you run into a criminal that believes that his end goals justify the means, and hence while he recognizes some of the means are harmful to other people, he doesn't feel guilty over them?

One or both of the above may well apply to Makishim.
Old 2012-11-18, 07:43   Link #84
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
It would be, and I have a theory on the Crime Coefficient that might make it possible.

We don't really know what precisely it is that the CC is a measurement of.

But Monir raising the "lie detector test" made me think that what the CC is measuring might be simple guilt (or at least a person's guilt factors in considerably into the score). It's just quantifying precisely how guilty people feel about themselves and/or their actions.

But what if you run into a criminal that's completely amoral, and hence feels no guilt over his or her actions? Or what if you run into a criminal that believes that his end goals justify the means, and hence while he recognizes some of the means are harmful to other people, he doesn't feel guilty over them?

One or both of the above may well apply to Makishim.
That may be a problem for instant reading, but if you ask him to imagine himself committing crimes, and his response is abnormally calm, then by that society's standards you've got grounds to put him away. Probably.
Old 2012-11-18, 08:13   Link #85
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

^ so then Makishima is prob ASPD.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antisoc...ality_disorder
Old 2012-11-18, 10:03   Link #86
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

What a strange episode! Many strange uses of imagery, but man, it all feels tense the whole way through.

Can't wait to see what happens next week.
Old 2012-11-18, 10:59   Link #87
klare

it seems Kougami knew the real culprit from years ago is still out there, thats why he remains and waiting for a chance to solve the case

i guess most of our psycho pass will be cloudy after seeing that artistic statue...
Old 2012-11-18, 12:01   Link #88
azarhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Btw, funnily enough I remembered another reference of such character in one of Agatha Christie's book last night. I still can't remember the name of the book or the villain who Hercule Poirot slowly came to recognize as someone who was a master at recognizing the vulnerability of the person in a certain situation, and then created that push needed to have those people commit murder.
The latest episode school-scenes had an Agatha Christie's stories vibe to me. Considering I read all her novels, you are probably into something. Strangely, I'm sure that none of her work had any horror thematic to it like this latest episode had.
Old 2012-11-18, 16:28   Link #89
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

i agree with the statement that remaining completely calm while thinking about committing a crime is enough grounds for CC to go up rather than down.
Old 2012-11-18, 16:54   Link #90
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
lol, that creepy bitch reminds me of a deconstruction of a typical fixture of many yuri anime-- namely, the aloof, beautiful, and highly revered ojou type that often comes off as creepy due to the way they seduce their love interests. And I must say I found that enjoyable, since I frequently hate those kinds of characters. This episode reveals them for the sociopaths that they are. =p

And lol at Gen loving tragedies more than the comedies.
It's the anti-bishoujo. This character type is becoming so common in anime in general that it was only a matter of time before someone did a deconstruction of it. i just didn't think it would be so soon. Gen seems to be all about taking whatever character archtype tropes are popular with otaku and just twisting them into something creepy and unnatural yet not forgetting to preserve the surface elements that made them popular in the first place. He did it with Madoka and Magical girls, he did it with Fate/zero and shonen gar concepts and he seems to be doing it here with moe tropes in general.
Old 2012-11-18, 19:13   Link #91
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
It's the anti-bishoujo. This character type is becoming so common in anime in general that it was only a matter of time before someone did a deconstruction of it. i just didn't think it would be so soon. Gen seems to be all about taking whatever character archtype tropes are popular with otaku and just twisting them into something creepy and unnatural yet not forgetting to preserve the surface elements that made them popular in the first place. He did it with Madoka and Magical girls, he did it with Fate/zero and shonen gar concepts and he seems to be doing it here with moe tropes in general.
The similarities between this episode's killer and victim, and the two main protagonists of MariMite, is pretty remarkable:

Spoiler for Psycho-Pass and MariMite image comparison:

In both cases, you have an all-girls school with a certain air of refinement to it. In both cases, you have a taller, respected, older, smooth-talking, long-dark-haired beauty. In both cases, you have a shorter, charming, twin-tails girl that looks up to and admires her.

At least somebody on the Psycho-Pass Production committee was clearly influenced by MariMite, and decided to darkly invert it. As a big fan of MariMite, I found this quite chilling and effective.

What I think Gen is good at is taking these almost iconic images that anime fans tend to have warm mental associations with (these yuri/shoujo-ai archetypes, magical girl aesthetics, etc...) and showing how you can have this same imagery but with a much darker reality behind it.

It's very effective. It would be kind of like a comic book where the lead villain has the same appearance, mannerisms, style, and strengths of Superman, but is a brutal killer. Not Bizarro Superman, but something much more disturbing than that because the visual similarity is greater.
Old 2012-11-18, 20:32   Link #92
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
The similarities between this episode's killer and victim, and the two main protagonists of MariMite, is pretty remarkable:

Spoiler for Psycho-Pass and MariMite image comparison:

In both cases, you have an all-girls school with a certain air of refinement to it. In both cases, you have a taller, respected, older, smooth-talking, long-dark-haired beauty. In both cases, you have a shorter, charming, twin-tails girl that looks up to and admires her.

At least somebody on the Psycho-Pass Production committee was clearly influenced by MariMite, and decided to darkly invert it. As a big fan of MariMite, I found this quite chilling and effective.

What I think Gen is good at is taking these almost iconic images that anime fans tend to have warm mental associations with (these yuri/shoujo-ai archetypes, magical girl aesthetics, etc...) and showing how you can have this same imagery but with a much darker reality behind it.

It's very effective. It would be kind of like a comic book where the lead villain has the same appearance, mannerisms, style, and strengths of Superman, but is a brutal killer. Not Bizarro Superman, but something much more disturbing than that because the visual similarity is greater.

In other words he has an imagination and dares to buck the trends and establisments. I think hes this generations Yoshiyuki Tomino although perhaps far less influential.
Old 2012-11-18, 21:01   Link #93
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
In other words he has an imagination and dares to buck the trends and establisments. I think hes this generations Yoshiyuki Tomino although perhaps far less influential.
Agreed. Gen dares to subvert things that no other writer I know does.

I'd honestly love to see Gen take a harem anime and turn it into a horror story. I think that could be loads of fun.
Old 2012-11-18, 21:05   Link #94
SolarAquarion
Organic Mecha

Quote:

I'd honestly love to see Gen take a harem anime and turn it into a horror story. I think that could be loads of fun.
What is School Days.
Old 2012-11-18, 21:16   Link #95
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

I don't see it as a subversion. If you're going to have a serial killer, that person is going to be persuasive, friendly and potentially good looking. That's how they draw the targets in.

Those girls are there specifically to keep their scans from getting cloudy so one should assume that there's a few potentially bad apples there.
Old 2012-11-18, 21:32   Link #96
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarAquarion View Post
What is School Days.
Good point. I had forgotten that this subversion has already been done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I don't see it as a subversion. If you're going to have a serial killer, that person is going to be persuasive, friendly and potentially good looking. That's how they draw the targets in.

Those girls are there specifically to keep their scans from getting cloudy so one should assume that there's a few potentially bad apples there.
I never said it didn't make sense in-story. It makes perfectly good sense in-story. That's partly why it's such a great subversion of how these all-girls schools narratives in general (and MariMite in particular) tend to play out in anime.

Also consider the dialogue the serial killer uses on the victim here. It's that same soothing, comforting, vaguely inspirational dialogue that "Onee-Samas" tend to use in all-girl school anime shows to try to uplift and mentor their most cherished juniors. It's just that this time, there's something very dark and menacing behind it...

Spoiler for Madoka Magica comparison:
Old 2012-11-18, 21:36   Link #97
novalysis

Actually, I'd like to see Gen subvert Shoujo.
Old 2012-11-18, 21:42   Link #98
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
It's about time. While a lot of those characters are great, including some characters who I consider favorites, badly done ones can get really irritating especially when they insist to me they are refined characters when their actions do not reflect that.

I'm going to randomly bring up Homura, since she's not exactly one, but definitely has that kind of intention that Gen did extremely well with. And because I can. Interestingly, she often gets slandered by her own fandom in fanfiction, portraying her exactly as that kind of creepy ojou type that just annoys the crap out of me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarAquarion View Post
What is School Days.
Trash.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2012-11-18, 22:37   Link #99
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Not that I don't like Gen but come on people, Jinrui deconstructed the whole "yuri all girls school" setting just 2 months ago in its last arc (and it was the arc that was popular with otakus and boosted the BD sales) and I'm sure there were others before it.
Old 2012-11-19, 01:52   Link #100
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
It's called "Irredeemable".
Closed Thread