AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shana

Notices

Old 2006-05-30, 13:26   Link #1261
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooboy666
Vol 1 of the R1 DVD releases is set for 09/05/2006.

DVDPacific
Ahahahahah! "The Torch Bearer" *rolls off his chair laughing*
Okay, I can see where that's coming from, but it feels very cheesy and punny XD
"Welcome to the Shana Olympics!"
Looks like I have something more to order, then...
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 14:13   Link #1262
Shredder

Quote:
I thought it was mentioned somewhere that Shana's never growing up, did I misunderstand that?
Could be, but in that case isn't Yuji also eternal? Since he recharges? This was brought up once in the series but only in passing, and it was unclear. Perfect--Yuji and Shana together forever, how charming.

Arimfe that kind of attitude is a recipe for being whipped!
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 14:24   Link #1263
Arimfe
SharpenerOfTheBoxcutter

Location: where Grudge is Greatest, Rancour Endless and Malice Eternal(at school^^;;)
Yoshida chan with a whip?
Yes please!!
Hecate chan with a whip?
That a bit hard to imagine though...She is so cute and innocent and all
Arimfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 16:24   Link #1264
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zalas
Ahahahahah! "The Torch Bearer" *rolls off his chair laughing*
Okay, I can see where that's coming from, but it feels very cheesy and punny XD
"Welcome to the Shana Olympics!"
Looks like I have something more to order, then...
So bad. ;_;

Its even worse that they've changed the anime to Shana. Seriously such a bad idea.

I'm thinking about ordering the R2 Japanese versions, at the end of the day - i just want Shana DVD quality.
Old 2006-05-30, 16:53   Link #1265
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelsama
Its even worse that they've changed the anime to Shana. Seriously such a bad idea.
Why is that so awful? It's not like Shakugan no Shana means anything to your average English-speaker. Plus, it's not as if the title for volume 1 has any bearing on what the actual release will be like. Almost all R1 companies name the individual DVDs within a TV series (heck, at least "The Torch Bearer" is better than ADV's habit of having a DVD called "Secrets & Lies" in multiple TV series!).
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 16:56   Link #1266
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Well to me dubbing is bad in the first place - i just don't see the point of changing the name to just Shana, it doesn't do anything.
Old 2006-05-30, 16:58   Link #1267
Dagger
Nitro+ fan

Quote:
Well to me dubbing is bad in the first place - i just don't see the point of changing the name to just Shana, it doesn't do anything.
That's the title. It has nothing to do with the dub. But on the subject of dubs, if you want to ignore the dub, you can get the very same DVD and watched it subbed/raw. What changing the name to Shana does is make it simpler and easier to remember, I suppose; I can't really speak for their reasoning. I didn't like them calling Soukyuu no Fafner plain old "Fafner" either, but they still did a good job with the subs and so forth on the actual release.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 17:01   Link #1268
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

I know it has nothing to do with the dub, i just thought i might as well say what i wanna say.. i don't see anything wrong with that.

I know what i can get, like i've already said i just gonna get the R2 Japanese versions. Still i don't see the need of changing the name of the anime.
Old 2006-05-30, 17:48   Link #1269
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Quote:
Still i don't see the need of changing the name of the anime.
Because it would probably flop if it sat on the shelf with the name "Shakugan no Shana"?

I love the original titles too. I love the original voice actors and all of that, but at the end of the day we're a tiny minority outside of Japan. I would consider my wife a reasonably comprehensive anime fan (she enjoys, among other things, Azumanga Daioh, Love Hina, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Fruits Basket, Please Teacher, Mahoromatic, Chobits, FMA, FMP?Fumoffu, and Happy Lesson, as you can see, there's quite a variety of material she enjoys). She will not watch anything in Japanese. Ever. I have had more success getting my 8 year old son to read subtitles (for Keroro Gunso and Bleach) than my wife. If the series has a japanese title, she'll pass. She would not even look at something named Shakugan no Shana on the shelf. It took months to get her to watch Azumanga Daioh with me and my son. The change is for people like her (and, yes, there are a lot of them out there).

Happy R2 buying though. The picture and sound quality on R2 DVDs can't be beat. I never noticed the difference until we moved to the 54" TV, but now I'm amazed I couldn't tell before. Personally I try to only get stuff that's not getting licensed on R2, but I can understand the sentiment that wants R2 for things they really enjoy. Ultimately, at the end of the day, you're supporting the original creators either way.

EDIT: Of course, right after I post this my wife decides she'd like to watch Ohran High Host Club!

Last edited by rooboy; 2006-05-30 at 20:27.
rooboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 21:59   Link #1270
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

After watching "Shanatan Returns", I believe more strongly than ever that recreational chemicals are in common use over at J.C....
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-30, 23:15   Link #1271
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
this special was a little wacked. haha

Good fan service, but I couldn't make sense of half of the jokes.
Old 2006-05-31, 00:53   Link #1272
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

It's been a long while since I last posted on the Shana forum and feels good to be back.

Boy, if that was one the most cleverly devised and ingenious Shana-tan episode ever conceived?

For quite a number of things which were trademark highlights:
Spoiler:
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 14:39   Link #1273
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
My DVD Magazine 2 came in the mail the other day, and Shana-tan Returns was indeed excellent, albeit a bit repetitive at times. Kind of interesting they added a return/back movement (don't really know the musical term for that) for the eyecatch music. Favorite eyecatch... Hecate with recorder :3

As for the name, my guess is that 'Shakugan' was probably a bit too hard for the average American audience to pronounce. Either that, or the Japanese licensor thought 'Shana' was short, sweet and to the point. I was wondering about 'Kannazuki no Miko' as well, and it seems that in that case, you couldn't remove words and still retain the same meaning, while for Shakugan no Shana, most of the meaning of the title was in the 'Shana' part anyway. And lastly, my last guess is that while Kannazuki no Miko was decidely a "Japanese" title, the story that takes place in Shakugan no Shana is much more multicultural, featuring lots of ideas from Buddhism, Demonology, etc. and hence they probably wanted to "de-Japanify" the title to have its tone match the story layout more. I would've gone for "Blazing-eyed Shana" as was done on one of the mugs though <_<;

I guess I have two things to ask the Geneon reps at AX now...
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 17:13   Link #1274
Varion
殲滅天使

Send a message via AIM to Varion Send a message via MSN to Varion
Quote:
EDIT: Of course, right after I post this my wife decides she'd like to watch Ohran High Host Club!
LOL. typical. Point still stands fair though.

I suppose it's the fact that it's now just a name. Just Shana on its own is... well, like calling a TV show 'Kate' or something. It just seems too simple and plain. zalas' suggestion of "Blazing-eyed Shana" at least seems to suit all the fire in the show better. Oh well, I'll still be buying the DVDs regardless of the name, and if I can deal with 'Rumbling Hearts' I can deal with this It's all about the content anyway, and hey, at least it got licensed.

Shana-tan 2 was decent. I preferred the first one though (partially because of the Kazumi bouncing scenes being dragged out for so. very. long. though. And they will insist on taunting us with that piano Hishoku no Sora... I want that track so bad, and they just keep playing it. Sigh.
Varion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 17:23   Link #1275
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdra
And they will insist on taunting us with that piano Hishoku no Sora... I want that track so bad, and they just keep playing it. Sigh.
That was a joke by itself probably. They'll never release it

But yeah, while I really like Yoshida (Mikuru kind of reminds me of her, too - loli with big boobs ), the bouncing scene was overused. I liked the first Shanatan better

Last edited by npal; 2006-06-01 at 00:39.
npal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 18:26   Link #1276
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Quote:
Originally Posted by npal
That was a joke by itself probably. They'll never release it

But yeah, whileI really like Yoshida (Mikuru kind of reminds me of her, too - loli with big boobs ), the bouncing scene was overused. I liked the first Shanatan better

It was lengthy because it gives guys enough time to *edits out* when they're masturbating to that scene!

(it sort of worked for me ).

EDIT: ....I have killed my rep.

Last edited by darkchibi07; 2006-05-31 at 22:59.
darkchibi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 22:17   Link #1277
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Ummm.... That's gross!

Please spare us such commentary on your anime watching habits in the future!

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-05-31, 22:30   Link #1278
Shredder

Way too detailed. Who the hell admits to that kind of thing!
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 00:42   Link #1279
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07
It was lengthy because it gives guys enough time to *edits out* when they're masturbating to that scene!

(it sort of worked for me ).

EDIT: ....I have killed my rep.
Uh...okaay then, back on topic now.

I just watched the 2 specials, which were pretty fanserviced based. Does anyone know how many they plan to make?
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-06-01, 00:45   Link #1280
npal
I desire Tomorrow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07
snip
You know, next time something like that pops up in your mind, please remember the case of a guy that destroyed his 6800Ultra that way (the laughs we had in the nvidia forums...), so I suggest you don't do anything silly around your PC, if only to protect your investment

Now let's all clear our minds and reach enlightenment..................................... ..............................................
.................................................. ..... Ah what the hell, where's Yoshida?

Tags
action, adventure, comedy, drama, j.c. staff, romance, shounen, supernatural, tsundere