AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-09-27, 07:24   Link #30841
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Revealed: The House GOP’s Debt-Ceiling Plan
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner...onathan-strong
Do they remember than they lost the last election? The GOP really show how crazy they are.
But they have enough power that, if they continue to act as stubborn mules, they can shut the government down. And when it happens, they can blame it on the democrats because "they're in power". No one who isn't already a brainwashed zealot would believe them, but that's their aim.
Old 2013-09-27, 09:34   Link #30842
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

The number of Americans giving up their citizenship has rocketed this year - partly, it's thought, because of a new tax law that is frustrating many expats.
Old 2013-09-27, 10:35   Link #30843
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Pfeiffer: White House is not ‘negotiating with people with a bomb strapped to their chest'
http://thelead.blogs.cnn.com/2013/09...o-their-chest/
Quote:
"It is not a negotiation if I show up at your house and say, 'Give me everything inside or I'm going to burn it down.' The Republicans have provided a laundry list of essentially ransom demands," he noted.
Old 2013-09-27, 11:03   Link #30844
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I just cashed out the US mutual funds in my IRA until we get past yet another round of stupid Republican budget hijinks. If the US really does default, the result could be horrendous, not just here but around the world as well.

I also hold a couple of foreign mutual funds; the Japanese one is doing quite well at the moment. I also have an emerging markets fund. I ran a few charts the other day to see how different regional funds performed. Surprisingly, despite what have been quite varied local economic conditions in East Asia, Latin America, Africa, and the Middle East, the funds for these regions all move more or less in lockstep (except for LA which plunged starting late last year). It looks like the actions of the US Fed have as much if not more influence on stock market movements in Brazil or South Africa as do the local economic conditions in these countries.

I'm still keeping my foreign funds, though.

If we somehow do arrive at October 17th without a debt ceiling resolution, my bet is that President Obama invokes the Fourteenth Amendment and continues paying our debts anyway. (Remember that the debt ceiling applies to spending the Congress has already committed to, not spending in the future.) We haven't had a good impeachment fight since Clinton, but I can see one looming on the horizon, even if there is no chance the Democrats in the Senate would vote to convict. I'm not even sure that a majority of the House would vote to impeach, but it's pretty much impossible to predict how the House will behave these days.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-09-27 at 11:31.
Old 2013-09-27, 11:19   Link #30845
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I just cashed out the US mutual funds in my IRA until we get past yet another round of stupid Republican budget hijinks. If the US really does default, the result could be horrendous, not just here but around the world as well.

I hold a couple of foreign mutual funds as well; the Japanese one is doing quite well at the moment. I also have an emerging markets fund. I ran a few charts the other day to see how different regional funds performed. Surprisingly, despite what have been quite varied local economic conditions in East Asia, Latin America, Africa, and the Middle East, the funds for these regions all move more or less in lockstep. It looks like the actions of the US Fed have more influence on stock market movements in Brazil or South Africa than do the local economic conditions in these countries.

I'm still keeping my foreign funds, though.
Admist all these fiasco, I am actually suspecting that the Reps and their interests have been hedging against HMOs; usually the interest groups are "pro-freedom" wingers (liberals or neo-liberals in the mix), hedge funds, insurance companies, big Pharma, etc.

On a more humourous take :

Gold, oil and government shutdowns

And an even more silly one :

Will Obamacare hurt job creation and marriage?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-09-27, 12:40   Link #30846
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
But they have enough power that, if they continue to act as stubborn mules, they can shut the government down. And when it happens, they can blame it on the democrats because "they're in power". No one who isn't already a brainwashed zealot would believe them, but that's their aim.
At this point it is time for Obama to put his foot down. Give them the shutdown they want, and just spend the next few weeks planning to deal with the consequences. This debt ceiling argument can only end once the shutdown actually occurs, and not before.
Old 2013-09-27, 12:41   Link #30847
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
At this point it is time for Obama to put his foot down. Give them the shutdown they want, and just spend the next few weeks planning to deal with the consequences. This debt ceiling argument can only end once the shutdown actually occurs, and not before.
Bill Clinton comes to mind.
Old 2013-09-27, 20:55   Link #30848
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Shutdown impact: Tourists, homebuyers hit quickly
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-27-17-34-14

Philippines says rebel standoff is over
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/phili...-standoff-over
Old 2013-09-27, 22:57   Link #30849
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Philippines says rebel standoff is over
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/phili...-standoff-over
The last stronghold of the rebels was taken yesterday among the marshes of Sumatra in Sta. Catalina. Actually a stupid move which led them to be corner by both air ( attack helicopters and fighter planes), water (naval ships) and land ( combined Marine and police).

Currently, the government of my city (Zambonga City) is still on heightened alert due to humors of bombings and new attacks. Curfew is still going on at 8pm-5am in the morning.

Generally, peace, school and business is back to normal except in the devastated barangays. Barangay elections might also be postpones depending on the assessment from Comelec.
Old 2013-09-28, 05:08   Link #30850
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Finally, Greek neo-nazi party members are brought to justice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24314319
Old 2013-09-28, 08:07   Link #30851
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Kenyan official: Troops caused mall collapse
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-27-19-56-18

Search grows bleak in India building collapse
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/searc...lding-collapse

Security tight at Miss World final in Indonesia
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-28-08-39-23
Old 2013-09-28, 13:09   Link #30852
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Kenyan official: Troops caused mall collapse
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-27-19-56-18
Does Kenya have a dedicated military counter terrorism/hostage rescue unit? Cause if they sent essentially regular soldiers into that situation, this kinda outcome shouldn't be surprising. Regular troops aren't primarily trained to engage enemies in these kind of delicate close quarters battle situations. Regular grunts are trained to deal with enemy machine gun teams fortified in buildings by blasting them with explosives, due to it being the most expedient thing to do in regular combat conditions. There's a reason many countries created dedicated anti terrorism special forces teams in the 70;s.

OTOH. Even the most Elite of western special forces counter terrorism units rarely have to deal with hostage situations where there's an active gun battle going on, and the terrorists have access to heavy weapons. The most successful hostage rescue operations tend to occur against less well equipped terrorists in a prolonged siege situation that gives the hostage rescue team time to device a rescue plan.
Old 2013-09-28, 13:47   Link #30853
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Does Kenya have a dedicated military counter terrorism/hostage rescue unit? Cause if they sent essentially regular soldiers into that situation, this kinda outcome shouldn't be surprising. Regular troops aren't primarily trained to engage enemies in these kind of delicate close quarters battle situations. Regular grunts are trained to deal with enemy machine gun teams fortified in buildings by blasting them with explosives, due to it being the most expedient thing to do in regular combat conditions. There's a reason many countries created dedicated anti terrorism special forces teams in the 70;s.
The Kenyan special forces aren't as proficient in FIBUA-type CI operations as they are in rural CI ones, given how they have more villages instead of urban areas for terrorists to hide.

The latter is tougher as hideouts are more sparse and require more manpower for sweeps, but there are more options; when a hut is confirmed to have enemies within, a rocket or 40mm could solve the problem as building a village house is many times cheaper than renovation a burnt out shop in a mall.

Quote:
OTOH. Even the most Elite of western special forces counter terrorism units rarely have to deal with hostage situations where there's an active gun battle going on, and the terrorists have access to heavy weapons. The most successful hostage rescue operations tend to occur against less well equipped terrorists in a prolonged siege situation that gives the hostage rescue team time to device a rescue plan.
True. Beslan is a pretty good example. The Spetznaz had a crapload of issues with terrorists standing on dead-man switches and manning RPKs..

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-09-28, 20:15   Link #30854
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
The latter is tougher as hideouts are more sparse and require more manpower for sweeps, but there are more options; when a hut is confirmed to have enemies within, a rocket or 40mm could solve the problem as building a village house is many times cheaper than renovation a burnt out shop in a mall.
Well it's not just that a hut is easier to take out with explosives. It's also easier to resolve a hostage situation that happens in a hut. Terrorist takes someone hostage in a hut? Plenty of places in a fragile that can be breached with flashbangs and storming the building takes under 5 seconds. Barricade hostage situations just don't happen as easily in rural areas, especially since it'd be preferable to try to escape with the hostages to some hide out (which due to needing to be hidden, wouldn't be as easily defended if the army found it).

I could easily see the Kenyan special forces not being as familiar with this kind of operation...but regardless of that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
True. Beslan is a pretty good example. The Spetznaz had a crapload of issues with terrorists standing on dead-man switches and manning RPKs..
While the Spetznaz made some pretty major mistakes at Beslan, the level of opposition they faced can't be ignored.

I mean, this isn't some video game where you can easily snipe machine gun nests from afar. In real life, a machine gun in a well fortified position with a good firing arc and plenty of ammo can hold dozens of soldiers. And the most sound tactics for taking that nest out usually involve expending huge quantities of rifle/machine gun fire to suppress the nest, or blasting it with explosives. Incredibly troublesome if you're trying to rescue hostages to. Even SAS would have trouble with this kinda situation.
Old 2013-09-28, 22:07   Link #30855
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Iran leader's US outreach meets praise, some anger
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...09-28-12-53-49

Special Report: Myanmar old guard clings to $8 billion jade empire
http://ca.reuters.com/article/topNew...98S00H20130929
Old 2013-09-28, 23:44   Link #30856
Seiryuu

Quote:
People seem to forget that the GOP members of Congress were also elected into their positions, so the fact that they're able to carry this much weight means that there's that many people who are supposedly "brainwashed" (we aren't by the way, and some could just as easily argue that the Democrats are).

Neither party is entirely right, but a large number of people support the Republican party's economic proposals because they see big risks in some of the proposals made by the Democratic party. It doesn't help that a thorough look at the economic situation shows to some one in large part brought about by bad decisions during a Democrat's term, which came crashing down during the term of a Republican president who just wasn't equipped to handle what was given to him and ended up making some bad military decisions that made things worse. And the Republican party sees the current situation as an influential jackass who insists on pursuing questionable routes and pushing the points they're most reluctant to sway on. After all, you don't get an impasse this bad without two groups of stubborn jerks who refuse to compromise.

Ultimately both sides are largely filled with fools, bigots and power-hungry manipulators who plot and backstab one another while accusing their opponents of the same. One's left trying to choose the least unsuited person. What's worst is that sometimes the people with the best heads on their shoulders, who could make the best decisions, are driven to drop out by the mudslinging of candidates who know they can't win by policy and their supporters.
Old 2013-09-29, 01:28   Link #30857
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Yea it's quite sad how they're willing to fuck everyone else over so they can keep themselves nice and comfortable.

A shutdown should kick them to the streets; I mean who's paying for them to do nothing?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-09-29, 01:35   Link #30858
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu View Post
People seem to forget that the GOP members of Congress were also elected into their positions, so the fact that they're able to carry this much weight means that there's that many people who are supposedly "brainwashed" (we aren't by the way, and some could just as easily argue that the Democrats are).
Based on the popular vote, the Democrats won the House vote, too. Unfortunately, the GOP was in control during the 2010 census redrawing (Tea Party...remember?) and they were quite ruthless in the gerrymandering game.

Not to say that the Democrats won't do the same if they were in that position, but compound that with how the real demographic picture of the "American People" look quite different, and it's really a much larger distortion. Minorities, youths, redditors, immigrants, and women tend to be less acclimatized to the political norm and more likely to take up alternative political channels (activism, unionizing, etc.), if they bother at all. If and when they vote, by and large they tend to vote Democrat.

As for "compromise," don't you give me that shit. Obama already sold out repeatedly -- hell, the man's a pure establishment man, look at the fucking NSA! However, if the GOP's tactics are akin to a minority fascist party looking to sabotage a functioning democracy, then they can kindly shove off. Enough with the, what do you call it when people sabotage things, throw out angry ranting propaganda and try to make planes stop functioning?
Old 2013-09-29, 01:46   Link #30859
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The thing is, both sides say about the same things about each other. And I'm talkig about the voters, not the politicians.
Old 2013-09-29, 02:49   Link #30860
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Kenya has the General Service Unit IIRC. It's under the police, but it has a paramilitary structure since Kenyan soldiers also get involved.

I'm not sure on Kenyan military CT units though.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international