AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-01-14, 12:49   Link #81
Jays

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
That's a weak argument. Would you mind if I stole $40 from your wallet? I think you would. This is in essence the same thing. A store loses a sale. And don't you go "I wouldn't have bought it anyway" on me, because you obviously wanted it enough to download it, and it doesn't negate the act.
That's also a weak arguement, because who says people who mod their PSPs, only do it to download games? Homebrew has other features, which I am sure cost Sony and it's devs/publishers nothing.

However, if I like a game, I'll buy it, if I don't then, I wont bother with it. It's basically the same thing as using something like BlockBuster; try the game out before you are buying it.
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 15:25   Link #82
Benoit
Bishoujo Game Enthusiast

Quote:
That's also a weak arguement, because who says people who mod their PSPs, only do it to download games? Homebrew has other features, which I am sure cost Sony and it's devs/publishers nothing.
I'm not talking about the modding at all, I'm solely talking about copying commercial games you don't own. Which requires modding, but that's not the point.
Quote:
However, if I like a game, I'll buy it, if I don't then, I wont bother with it. It's basically the same thing as using something like BlockBuster; try the game out before you are buying it.
Nope. You pay money to BlockBuster to rent the game. And if it's really the same thing to you, then you should just rent the games that interest you.
Old 2008-01-14, 18:41   Link #83
lilguy
Certified Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays View Post
Just the sheer ability to underclock or overclock your PSP depending on the application you are using, is an amazing feature, which truly shows just how much custom firmware gives you leeway to do what you, something I doubt a modded DS can do.
Technically a modded DS can externally underclock or overclock but, due to its hardware limits, the DS doesn't clock to different applications.

Well, all I guess I'm agreeing on here is that the hardware is better on a PSP than a NDS.

But hardware doesn't always win the race. The little "battle" between the PSP and NDS is quite similar to that of the PS3 and the Wii.
lilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-14, 21:47   Link #84
.S2K
S2K is here.
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to .S2K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistacloudstrife View Post
This is what he said...

"I didn't pay 125 bucks to use a stick and blow. (into that mic) I payed to game"

If you were to take it literally, then yes, he's stating that he doesn't think that the use of the stylus and mic aren't for gaming. But if you were to stand back at look at the post for what it actually meant(at least it seemed obvious to me) he basically said that he isn't going to spend money on cheap gimmicks that try to enhance the experience of gaming.

And just to clear things up, I actually do believe that they are cheap gimmicks.
Yeah, To me, they are just to cover up for the DS's lacks, sorta like Diamonds to a chick: Once she sees it, she cares about nothing else.
.S2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-15, 04:32   Link #85
JubeiYamazaki

Send a message via AIM to JubeiYamazaki
It really depends on what YOU want out of your handheld. For example if gaming is what you soley want your handheld for. Then see what games out now interest you more.

If you're looking for a decent media player, PSP might be more of what you want. Play vids + music + homebrew, you can do A LOT outside of gaming with your PSP, and if you own a PS3 the interconnectivity with the PS3 makes the PSP a great device to own.

But DS offers a more "unique" style of game play with an already huge # of AAA titles that are classics on their own.

So really its more of how YOU see yourself using your handheld.

As for me, I own both. And very happy equally with both products.
JubeiYamazaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 20:28   Link #86
Nintendo
start thinkin bout clones

Send a message via AIM to Nintendo
Old 2008-01-17, 14:01   Link #87
Roxasvsriku
★★★★★
*Graphic Designer

Yeah... can't honestly say the PSP has a great game selection, but if you are into system hacking it's a fun thing to have. Internet capabilities are much better on the PSP (I believe the DS didn't have Wi-Fi until just recently). As far as games go though... the DS is probably better, and has a more unique gameplay to it. Like mentioned before... really depends what you are into. I personally prefer the PSP, but I'm not saying it's any better. =p
Roxasvsriku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 14:54   Link #88
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilguy View Post
Technically a modded DS can externally underclock or overclock but, due to its hardware limits, the DS doesn't clock to different applications.

Well, all I guess I'm agreeing on here is that the hardware is better on a PSP than a NDS.
Yeah, the "external" hardware required to under and overclock the DS is a real fatty. You can underclock and overclock any handheld gaming system if you had an external overclocking hardware soldered into it. The point was that the PSP can do it on it's own without the help of any extra equipment.

Quote:
But hardware doesn't always win the race. The little "battle" between the PSP and NDS is quite similar to that of the PS3 and the Wii.
No it's not. Sony has gone straight into Nintendo's domain to take a part of the handheld industry. Unlike Nintendo, they have little to no experience with this sort of thing, and they're doing very well compared to the Gamegear, Neogeo pocket, and etc. It's more comparable to David and Goliath.

And the PS3 and the Wii is catered to different audiences. Wii is a family console whereas the PS3 is for more gamer types. I'm not saying that the Wii doesn't have games that are for real gamers, but the majority of the games says it all. Check the percentage of "E" ratings compared to "T" and "M". And then do the same for the PS3 and Xbox.

I have alot more to say and I don't have time to go over my post so there may be mistakes, but I'll add more later.
Old 2008-01-17, 15:27   Link #89
Sides

Quote:
Yeah, the "external" hardware required to under and overclock the DS is a real fatty. You can underclock and overclock any handheld gaming system if you had an external overclocking hardware soldered into it. The point was that the PSP can do it on it's own without the help of any extra equipment.
With the lastest revision you need to mod the battery, so you need extra help. I'm still kind of pissed off that the psp slim+light has more ram than the original. Never noticed it, until the skype feature announcement recently. I hope that new games won't require the additional memory space. Futhermore it is quite annoying that the av output feature was scrapped and reintroduced for the new psp.

Your wii vs ps3 comments are interesting, but lets keep this thread DS and PSP only.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 12:25   Link #90
Ratix

Send a message via AIM to Ratix Send a message via MSN to Ratix
LOl. wow. Simply wow at the PSP fanboys who make tonnes and tonnes of sweeping statments compared to what I've seen DS fanboys who acctually justify their claims.

I have a DS, and played my friend's PSP to death... Heres what I think:

1) PSP definitely has better graphics and hardware than DS, but the problem with PSP its too focused on 3D Graphics, which itself, is not exactly very good at, although better than the DS. Several games look pretty bad, even though in 3D(Lacks of details, see one grey blob running around etc). DS 3D rendering capabilities definitely is harder to abuse(Not many game companies has successfully made their 3D graphics look good), and is weaker, however there are tonnes more 2D games which has gorgeously drawn sprites as well as numerous layering used, making the world feel very vibrant and beautiful.

And from what I know, many retarded people think 3D > 2D all the way, which is baseless and shows one person's intelligence thoroughly.

2) PSP has more RPGs than DS, thats correct. I've been searching for RPGs for DS, so far, there are a couple of nice ones, a couple of boring ones, and thats it. Not many RPGs out there compared to PSP library. However, as far as im concerned, I'm addicted to Subarashiki Kono Sekai. Its simply one of the BEST RPGs I've played. Im not surprised since its from the people who made Kingdom Hearts, but its simply one of the best. It has a great storyline, unique characters, VERY AWESOME battle system, interesting presentation and a lot of things that are just simply, great. However for the DS, thats the only RPG I truely enjoy. I got bored of Lunar Knights half way though. As for PSP, they have a couple of decent RPGs, but tonnes and tonnes of ports and remakes which I already own them everywhere else, PSX, PS2, you name it. Not just RPGs, numerous games too. The bulk of the games I would want to play on a PSP originated from the PS2. Simply, being able to play them while Im out is cool, but would I want to spend money just to do that or would I want to play other games?

3) Comparing overall game library, I prefer DS's library. As explained above, there arn't many great PSP exclusive games, nor are there many games that doesn't repeat the same old boring formula with a changed setting, character and storyline but everything else plays the same. Boring. Really. DS does it too, but not as much as PSP. Moreover there are a lot of DS exclusive games(Not surprising) which are unique and fun. To name some, Ouendan is a unique idea. Jump! series is a REALLY great and awesome game, especially if you're both a fighting game fan and manga fan. Trauma Center is a really fun and challenging game. Mario Hoops 3 on 3 is pretty fun, though I didn't really have much human players to play with. Mario Kart is unbeatable, one of the racing games I simply love. Subarashiki Kono Sekai with a really awesome RPG, one of the best I've ever played in my 20 years. And the list goes on.

4) DS has 2 smaller screens, indeed, but laughable? I don't get it. Its not miniscue either, whats so funny about it? Numerous games have well utilised it. You definitely need help if you use Screen Size to determine how fun a game gets, albeit too small is bad, DS's screen isn't really very small you know. 2 3 inches is pretty large.

5) PSP's movie and MP3 playing function definitely beats DS. DS's movie and MP3 quality are crappy, through the usage of homebrews that is(Moonshell is probably the only one because its the best out there). And PSP has emulating capabilities. Which is great. Because I can play thousands of my favourite PSX, SNES, NES, GBA, Genesis etc games on my PSP. However, this comes back to point number 2. Is it worth it to spend money just to play what I can already play at home, out? Or should I buy something which can kill time while Im out(Travelling etc), and is something I wouldn't be able to experience without.

And as for the media playing capabilities, I already have my Cowon D2, which is superior to PSP in terms of everything(Well except for screen size). So ^_^, I don't need a PSP for this either, unless Im feeling extremely lazy to carry out one extra device. Which hardly happens.

Overall, my stand is a DS, and I was once stucked between thinking of getting a DS or PSP. These were the factor that pushed me towards Nintendo's embrace.
Ratix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 12:32   Link #91
Ratix

And I do not understand people's argument regarding Childishness...

What determines Childish? And what determines Mature?

Oh fuck! Sex! Blood! Gore! Sex! Gore! Blood! 3D! Mature yo!

Sounds pretty immature to me. Like a 8 year old boy bragging to the world he has seem more gore than his classmate making him the coolest kid in town.

DS does have its limited share of these, but seriously, is there a point to it? Personally from the way I see it, it doesn't really affect games much other than a "MATURE" tag slapped onto it for no particular reasons other than some really unrequited segments which doesn't really make any difference to the game, other than making kids feel like adults.

And there is a reason why the DS is a top selling product in most countries, especially trend setting Japan.
Old 2008-01-18, 17:09   Link #92
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratix View Post
LOl. wow. Simply wow at the PSP fanboys who make tonnes and tonnes of sweeping statments compared to what I've seen DS fanboys who acctually justify their claims.
Alright, here we go. =)

Quote:
I have a DS, and played my friend's PSP to death... Heres what I think:
Does your friend happen to own a fair amount of PSP titles to actually make a proper assumption of the handheld system as a whole? I mean does he happen to have games that show the true potential of the games?

Quote:
1) PSP definitely has better graphics and hardware than DS, but the problem with PSP its too focused on 3D Graphics, which itself, is not exactly very good at, although better than the DS. Several games look pretty bad, even though in 3D(Lacks of details, see one grey blob running around etc). DS 3D rendering capabilities definitely is harder to abuse(Not many game companies has successfully made their 3D graphics look good), and is weaker, however there are tonnes more 2D games which has gorgeously drawn sprites as well as numerous layering used, making the world feel very vibrant and beautiful.
The thing is, the PSP isn't focused on 3D graphics. The developers make use os the clean looking 3D capabilities, or at least alot cleaner than the DS. Compare Final Fantasy III and IV graphics to the coming releases of Crisis Core and Dissidia.

And "lack of detail" isn't the fault of PSP, it would be the fault of the game developer. There are plenty of great looking 3D PSP games out there. And there are several 2D games as well. Just because the PSP CAN put out higher polygons and finer textures than the DS doesn't mean it's only limited to 3D. Take a look at Loco Roco. Amazing graphics(and gameplay, might I add) for a side scrolling semi-platformer game.

Quote:
And from what I know, many retarded people think 3D > 2D all the way, which is baseless and shows one person's intelligence thoroughly.
Just to add, just because a game is 3D doesn't mean it's better than 2D, the same goes vice-versa, obviously. You seem irritated because people like the 3D capabilities of the PSP. There's nothing wrong with liking 3D games over 2D games. It's an opinion, and attacking their intelligence because of that is really moronic.

Quote:
2) PSP has more RPGs than DS, thats correct. I've been searching for RPGs for DS, so far, there are a couple of nice ones, a couple of boring ones, and thats it. Not many RPGs out there compared to PSP library. However, as far as im concerned, I'm addicted to Subarashiki Kono Sekai. Its simply one of the BEST RPGs I've played. Im not surprised since its from the people who made Kingdom Hearts, but its simply one of the best. It has a great storyline, unique characters, VERY AWESOME battle system, interesting presentation and a lot of things that are just simply, great. However for the DS, thats the only RPG I truely enjoy. I got bored of Lunar Knights half way though. As for PSP, they have a couple of decent RPGs, but tonnes and tonnes of ports and remakes which I already own them everywhere else, PSX, PS2, you name it. Not just RPGs, numerous games too. The bulk of the games I would want to play on a PSP originated from the PS2. Simply, being able to play them while Im out is cool, but would I want to spend money just to do that or would I want to play other games?
One title for you. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep.

It's the game that was featured as a secret ending of Kingdom Hearts 2. The DS is getting a game as well, but since the PSP is more related to the PS2, it's quite obvious that Birth by Sleep is going to give the gamers the classic Kingdom Hearts gameplay that they know of.

As for the ports and remakes, it's very true. I already stated this, but it's because the PSP is easy to port over games from the PS2 and PSone. It's pretty obvious because you can actually play PSone games on your PSP through emulator. But in most cases they add extra content to the games and in some cases, completely revamp alot of the game. For example, there's going to be a Star Ocean and Star Ocean 2 remake for the PSP. The new Star Ocean is going to be given more characters, a new battle system(It's actually going to be the SO2 battle system) and more. And the SO2 remake is said to be completely revamped as well. So although they ARE remakes, they've done quite a bit to draw in the same old gamers from the past as well as draw in new gamers that have yet to play the games. And it's quite obvious, but there are ALOT of original RPGs as well. Games like Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner, Blade Dancer, Kingdom of Paradise, and the ones I've already listed in past posts such as Crisis Core, KH, and Wild ARMs XF.

Quote:
3) Comparing overall game library, I prefer DS's library. As explained above, there arn't many great PSP exclusive games, nor are there many games that doesn't repeat the same old boring formula with a changed setting, character and storyline but everything else plays the same. Boring. Really. DS does it too, but not as much as PSP. Moreover there are a lot of DS exclusive games(Not surprising) which are unique and fun. To name some, Ouendan is a unique idea. Jump! series is a REALLY great and awesome game, especially if you're both a fighting game fan and manga fan. Trauma Center is a really fun and challenging game. Mario Hoops 3 on 3 is pretty fun, though I didn't really have much human players to play with. Mario Kart is unbeatable, one of the racing games I simply love. Subarashiki Kono Sekai with a really awesome RPG, one of the best I've ever played in my 20 years. And the list goes on.
As I've said before, it's David and Goliath. The PSP had to build their game library from the ground up whereas Nintendo has had backing from the get go since they started with the original Gameboy. But the PSP's library has built up quite nicely considering they're up against this giant of a handheld gaming company.

And if you like or dislike the game library is all opinion, so I won't go any further on this.

Quote:
4) DS has 2 smaller screens, indeed, but laughable? I don't get it. Its not miniscue either, whats so funny about it? Numerous games have well utilised it. You definitely need help if you use Screen Size to determine how fun a game gets, albeit too small is bad, DS's screen isn't really very small you know. 2 3 inches is pretty large.
I find the hype over a touch screen laughable. To put this system on a pedestal and worship it merely because of the use of a stylus or touchscreen is laughable. II think it's an interesting idea they used, but I hardly think of it as the best idea ever to add to a handheld system. Not to mention I didn't like having to hold the DS with one hand and holding a pen on the other. Metroid, for example. I don't like having the feeling of aiming with a pen on my right hand and moving with my left hand. I would need to set the DS against my lap to gain support to hold the DS up. Standing would be an effort in itself while playing the game.

Quote:
5) PSP's movie and MP3 playing function definitely beats DS. DS's movie and MP3 quality are crappy, through the usage of homebrews that is(Moonshell is probably the only one because its the best out there). And PSP has emulating capabilities. Which is great. Because I can play thousands of my favourite PSX, SNES, NES, GBA, Genesis etc games on my PSP. However, this comes back to point number 2. Is it worth it to spend money just to play what I can already play at home, out? Or should I buy something which can kill time while Im out(Travelling etc), and is something I wouldn't be able to experience without.
Is it worth playing a game that you could play at home on the road? There are alot of people that would say yes. If I could, I would buy all the games I own on the PSone or PS2 in UMD form. I would LOVE to play Final Fantasy VII-X on a handheld system. I would LOVE to play alot of RPGs on the PSone and PS2 on the PSP. And for alot of games, it IS possible.

But then you're making another assumption that there aren't enough games that aren't ports or remakes for the PSP. There are and are going to be alot of original games for the PSP very soon. A few are already listed in this thread.

Quote:
And as for the media playing capabilities, I already have my Cowon D2, which is superior to PSP in terms of everything(Well except for screen size). So ^_^, I don't need a PSP for this either, unless Im feeling extremely lazy to carry out one extra device. Which hardly happens.
And I own a palm pilot that has touchscreen games, LOL. The thing is that the PSP is a gaming system combined with media capabilities. Instead of carrying around a handheld gaming system, media player and etc you can just have the PSP with you. I have an iPOD and laptop, but I still use my PSP for on-the-go gaming, videos and music.

Quote:
Overall, my stand is a DS, and I was once stucked between thinking of getting a DS or PSP. These were the factor that pushed me towards Nintendo's embrace.
Good for you. =)

Quote:
And I do not understand people's argument regarding Childishness...

What determines Childish? And what determines Mature?

Oh fuck! Sex! Blood! Gore! Sex! Gore! Blood! 3D! Mature yo!

Sounds pretty immature to me. Like a 8 year old boy bragging to the world he has seem more gore than his classmate making him the coolest kid in town.

DS does have its limited share of these, but seriously, is there a point to it? Personally from the way I see it, it doesn't really affect games much other than a "MATURE" tag slapped onto it for no particular reasons other than some really unrequited segments which doesn't really make any difference to the game, other than making kids feel like adults.
If I'm looking for games that require me to shoot down someone, I'm going to want a system that has more of them. PSP has Metal Gear which just so happens to be rated M. It also has GTA, and several other M rated shooter games.

I'm sure alot of people would agree that games make the system and the PSP would be more for those that want games rated "T" and "M" and the DS has taken the family system audience, therefore alot of the games are rated "E" for everyone. I never stated that the system was childish, but it's obvious that the PSP hasn't taken the appeal of the young gamers. Nintendo on the other hand has always been a family console making company and the results are clear that it is.

Quote:
And there is a reason why the DS is a top selling product in most countries, especially trend setting Japan.
Because they've had the biggest fanbase handheld-wise since the gameboy and thus had the most game developers and games from way way way before the PSP even came out.
Old 2008-01-18, 17:45   Link #93
Wirbelwind8
d-_-b

Im just going to say PSP and nothing more. I don't want to get too involved.
Wirbelwind8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-18, 22:50   Link #94
Ratix

Quote:
Does your friend happen to own a fair amount of PSP titles to actually make a proper assumption of the handheld system as a whole? I mean does he happen to have games that show the true potential of the games?
Yes they do.

Quote:
The thing is, the PSP isn't focused on 3D graphics. The developers make use os the clean looking 3D capabilities, or at least alot cleaner than the DS. Compare Final Fantasy III and IV graphics to the coming releases of Crisis Core and Dissidia.
Erm, care to repeat what you just said? So PSP uses 2D a lot? Wow thats NEWS FLASH. I've never said DS has better 3D capabilities, just read again dude, PSP beats DS hands down in 3D rendering.

Quote:
And "lack of detail" isn't the fault of PSP, it would be the fault of the game developer. There are plenty of great looking 3D PSP games out there. And there are several 2D games as well. Just because the PSP CAN put out higher polygons and finer textures than the DS doesn't mean it's only limited to 3D. Take a look at Loco Roco. Amazing graphics(and gameplay, might I add) for a side scrolling semi-platformer game.
Perhaps, developers fault, but this just attributes to weakness in their game library doesn't it? Then again, DS has this problem too. And I've never once said PSP is only limited to 3D.

Quote:
One title for you. Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep.

It's the game that was featured as a secret ending of Kingdom Hearts 2. The DS is getting a game as well, but since the PSP is more related to the PS2, it's quite obvious that Birth by Sleep is going to give the gamers the classic Kingdom Hearts gameplay that they know of.
Maybe, but its not out yet. So I wouldn't know about it since I've not played it, but from my general experience with the other games I've played(A lot). Well, it could be the reason for me to get a PSP, but I wouldn't want to be excited too early. Are there any more great RPGs for PSP? I wouldn't mind trying them out. Tried a couple, was pretty disappointed.

Quote:
As for the ports and remakes, it's very true. I already stated this, but it's because the PSP is easy to port over games from the PS2 and PSone. It's pretty obvious because you can actually play PSone games on your PSP through emulator. But in most cases they add extra content to the games and in some cases, completely revamp alot of the game. For example, there's going to be a Star Ocean and Star Ocean 2 remake for the PSP. The new Star Ocean is going to be given more characters, a new battle system(It's actually going to be the SO2 battle system) and more. And the SO2 remake is said to be completely revamped as well. So although they ARE remakes, they've done quite a bit to draw in the same old gamers from the past as well as draw in new gamers that have yet to play the games. And it's quite obvious, but there are ALOT of original RPGs as well. Games like Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner, Blade Dancer, Kingdom of Paradise, and the ones I've already listed in past posts such as Crisis Core, KH, and Wild ARMs XF.
Yes, Star Ocean is something im looking out for in the PSP... Though it has SO2 fighting engine(Well not necessary bad but I like the flat 2D SO battle engine in SNES haha), its still a remake/port nevertheless... Sure there are extras, but all in all, Im paying for those minor extras which I may not even enjoy? Hmm.

Quote:
As I've said before, it's David and Goliath. The PSP had to build their game library from the ground up whereas Nintendo has had backing from the get go since they started with the original Gameboy. But the PSP's library has built up quite nicely considering they're up against this giant of a handheld gaming company.
I do not get you. PSP has their own library, their PS2 and PSX games, as with Nintendo having GB, GBC and GBA to back their DS. As mentioned earlier in this thread, PSP is made with the ability to easily port PS2 and emulate PSX games in mind. So I really do not understand what you mean by that.

Quote:
And if you like or dislike the game library is all opinion, so I won't go any further on this.
True. But Im sure Im not the only one, I have a lot of friends owning a DS, as well as a tonne load more owning a PSP. Having chat with them, most of the DS owners only get sick of the DS after many many months of playing, whereas many PSP owners tells me they got bored of their PSP games rather quickly and used it for Movie/MP3 in the end. Or perhaps I just have a weird community around me in that case.

Quote:
I find the hype over a touch screen laughable. To put this system on a pedestal and worship it merely because of the use of a stylus or touchscreen is laughable. II think it's an interesting idea they used, but I hardly think of it as the best idea ever to add to a handheld system. Not to mention I didn't like having to hold the DS with one hand and holding a pen on the other. Metroid, for example. I don't like having the feeling of aiming with a pen on my right hand and moving with my left hand. I would need to set the DS against my lap to gain support to hold the DS up. Standing would be an effort in itself while playing the game.
Its a good idea, not exactly the best idea, but its a great idea for a hand held. Because simply, the touchscreen doesn't just acts like a gimmick, it has its uses, for example, providing the extra buttons for games which _may_ require more buttons. And as for Metroid, its a mixed feeling. I don't really enjoy it much either due to the awkward controls. And it also creates more gameplay and simulations not possible without it. Trauma center is one, which is a surgury sim(Not really a sim since its in a very fictional setting), Subarashiki Kono Sekai is another, providing interesting RPG Battle experience(With tonnes of moves and variations depending on how you'd play it) which is not really possible for one without the touch screen unless you're interested to be inputting QCF motions in your RPG. All in all, the touch screen is a very good addition because it various functions, not just add to gameplay experience or extra gimmick. Though some game doesn't really have a use for it at all.

Also, I personally do not understand how people can play FPS with analog sticks/direction pads in consoles... Though I do not really enjoy metroid's FPS controls, I certainly do find it better than analog sticks and Dpads. Well, afterall, Keyboard and Mouse is the way to go, and I hardly, play FPS off my computer... The only one I've tried was FFVII Dirge of Cerberus, which left me going (-_-) retarded controls after playing for 10 hours or so.

Quote:
Is it worth playing a game that you could play at home on the road? There are alot of people that would say yes. If I could, I would buy all the games I own on the PSone or PS2 in UMD form. I would LOVE to play Final Fantasy VII-X on a handheld system. I would LOVE to play alot of RPGs on the PSone and PS2 on the PSP. And for alot of games, it IS possible.
You misunderstand me. Is it worth playing a game which you already played at home, on the road? Or is it more worth to play a original game on the road which you do not have at home? Perhaps, new titles for the PSP, I would love to try some of those RPGs. But right now, I haven't really been impressed by PSP. Unless you can recommend me some PSP games(Not in PS2 ports since I already own a large bulk of PS2 games, so yeah) that can keep me addicted to it, I really can't find anything thats worth playing on the PSP at the current moment.

Quote:
And I own a palm pilot that has touchscreen games, LOL. The thing is that the PSP is a gaming system combined with media capabilities. Instead of carrying around a handheld gaming system, media player and etc you can just have the PSP with you. I have an iPOD and laptop, but I still use my PSP for on-the-go gaming, videos and music.
Again, you're missing my point. It is a gaming device combined with media capabilities, but Im talking about their gaming capabilities, and in my humble opinion, I feel that DS games are more fun than PSP. And yes, its an opinion. Yours could be different.

Quote:
If I'm looking for games that require me to shoot down someone, I'm going to want a system that has more of them. PSP has Metal Gear which just so happens to be rated M. It also has GTA, and several other M rated shooter games.

I'm sure alot of people would agree that games make the system and the PSP would be more for those that want games rated "T" and "M" and the DS has taken the family system audience, therefore alot of the games are rated "E" for everyone. I never stated that the system was childish, but it's obvious that the PSP hasn't taken the appeal of the young gamers. Nintendo on the other hand has always been a family console making company and the results are clear that it is.
Oh don't worry, you're not the one who keeps on stating those. Its someone else on this thread, and its an annoying kid. True, DS is targeted more for all ages and numerous interest groups, with games for younger players to games for teens, to adults, to anime and manga lovers, japanophiles, brain enhancing games(Which usually bores me out after playing it for a while due to how easy they are). PSP games however, for me, I feel that they are targetting the teen segment, yes, but because of that, their games feel very repeatitive because they just repeat the same things over and over.
Old 2008-01-19, 00:32   Link #95
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratix View Post
Yes they do.
Care to list the games? Because I own only about 20 PSP games and only a small amount of these have actually caught my eye utilizing what the PSP has to offer.

Quote:
Erm, care to repeat what you just said? So PSP uses 2D a lot? Wow thats NEWS FLASH. I've never said DS has better 3D capabilities, just read again dude, PSP beats DS hands down in 3D rendering.
And you READ AGAIN, dude. This was my point...

"The thing is, the PSP isn't focused on 3D graphics. The developers make use of the clean looking 3D capabilities, or at least alot cleaner than the DS."

The part about it being cleaner than the DS, is to point out that SINCE it was 3D capabilities that are better than the DS, then it's most obvious that they're going to take advantage of it. IF the DS had a stronger polygon output and higher quality textures, you could bet your life that alot more 3D games would come out for it.

Quote:
Perhaps, developers fault, but this just attributes to weakness in their game library doesn't it? Then again, DS has this problem too. And I've never once said PSP is only limited to 3D.
I never stated that you said that. I was only pointing out that the PSP has great 2D games as well.

Quote:
Maybe, but its not out yet. So I wouldn't know about it since I've not played it, but from my general experience with the other games I've played(A lot). Well, it could be the reason for me to get a PSP, but I wouldn't want to be excited too early. Are there any more great RPGs for PSP? I wouldn't mind trying them out. Tried a couple, was pretty disappointed.
Alot of RPGs are ones I'm waiting for. And some games I'll get tired of waiting and just import. And since you seem to not want to play remade games, I won't suggest any.

Quote:
Yes, Star Ocean is something im looking out for in the PSP... Though it has SO2 fighting engine(Well not necessary bad but I like the flat 2D SO battle engine in SNES haha), its still a remake/port nevertheless... Sure there are extras, but all in all, Im paying for those minor extras which I may not even enjoy? Hmm.
Considering FMV, new graphics, characters, and etc "minor" is all opinion. You're paying for the same gaming experience from back in the day with enhanced features of more recent gaming. And I don't know about you, but I enjoyed Star Ocean The Second Story's battle system thoroughly. I'd love to play Star OCean with that battle system.

Quote:
I do not get you. PSP has their own library, their PS2 and PSX games, as with Nintendo having GB, GBC and GBA to back their DS. As mentioned earlier in this thread, PSP is made with the ability to easily port PS2 and emulate PSX games in mind. So I really do not understand what you mean by that.
No. The handheld market isn't fused with the console market. Yes, it can help the backing a bit since they have ties with people already creating games for their system, but it's no guarantee. They have to build their reputation with the devs in order to gain trust that their system will make them money. After they've gained their trust willt he good games start rolling. ALL devs for the PS2 and PSone aren't going to line up and want to create games for this handheld. Likewise, they have to gain trust with the consumer that this product is a good product and is worth the money they're paying. And this is hard to do as well since this is the first handheld Sony has made. There are obvious differences with the PSP and the DS that can't be overlooked. The screen on the PSP is shiny and glaring against sunlight, whereas the DS has long fixed this problem after the original Gameboy advanced by adding a backlight and altering the screen to not glare.

But Nintendo is a different story. They've had devs backing them since generations ago. And the consumer already trusts Nintendo. Their experience in the handheld market far surpasses Sony and that's why I compare the PSP vs DS to David and Goliath.

Quote:
True. But Im sure Im not the only one, I have a lot of friends owning a DS, as well as a tonne load more owning a PSP. Having chat with them, most of the DS owners only get sick of the DS after many many months of playing, whereas many PSP owners tells me they got bored of their PSP games rather quickly and used it for Movie/MP3 in the end. Or perhaps I just have a weird community around me in that case.
Yes, I don't think that really counts. I actually got bored with my PSP as well until I got games like Initial D to hold me off a while, then the RPG ports. The DS only held my attention with Castlevania and FFIII. But now that I've been reading up on upcoming RPGs, my hopes are high again since I can play SO2 again with voice acting, movies, and new characters. Oh, and other games like God of War and such.

Quote:
Its a good idea, not exactly the best idea, but its a great idea for a hand held. Because simply, the touchscreen doesn't just acts like a gimmick, it has its uses, for example, providing the extra buttons for games which _may_ require more buttons. And as for Metroid, its a mixed feeling. I don't really enjoy it much either due to the awkward controls. And it also creates more gameplay and simulations not possible without it. Trauma center is one, which is a surgury sim(Not really a sim since its in a very fictional setting), Subarashiki Kono Sekai is another, providing interesting RPG Battle experience(With tonnes of moves and variations depending on how you'd play it) which is not really possible for one without the touch screen unless you're interested to be inputting QCF motions in your RPG. All in all, the touch screen is a very good addition because it various functions, not just add to gameplay experience or extra gimmick. Though some game doesn't really have a use for it at all.
My thinking it's a gimmick is as opinion. I merely think this because of alot of games that incorporate this feature. It's said to be a really good idea by alot of people and when I compare that opinion to how some games use the feature, it's completely idiotic. Using it to chat and write is a good idea. Simple things like the brain games. But to replay Resident Evil and use the stylus to slash a zombie with a dagger gives off the "cheap gimmick" stench from a mile away, along with countless other games that use that poorly use that feature as well. And the hype over it doesn't help my opinion much either.

Quote:
Also, I personally do not understand how people can play FPS with analog sticks/direction pads in consoles... Though I do not really enjoy metroid's FPS controls, I certainly do find it better than analog sticks and Dpads. Well, afterall, Keyboard and Mouse is the way to go, and I hardly, play FPS off my computer... The only one I've tried was FFVII Dirge of Cerberus, which left me going (-_-) retarded controls after playing for 10 hours or so.
I actually like DoC. Okay not the controls but I didn't think it was too bad considering this was a shooter made by a Japanese guy. And keyboard/mouse is always going to be a favorite over controller when it comes to FPS, but I for one don't have a problem using a controller.

Quote:
You misunderstand me. Is it worth playing a game which you already played at home, on the road? Or is it more worth to play a original game on the road which you do not have at home? Perhaps, new titles for the PSP, I would love to try some of those RPGs. But right now, I haven't really been impressed by PSP. Unless you can recommend me some PSP games(Not in PS2 ports since I already own a large bulk of PS2 games, so yeah) that can keep me addicted to it, I really can't find anything thats worth playing on the PSP at the current moment.
No, I didn't misunderstand you. I asked you a question by altering your previous question and simultaneously answered that question at the same time. I guess I should just be more straightforward with you; I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Quote:
Again, you're missing my point. It is a gaming device combined with media capabilities, but Im talking about their gaming capabilities, and in my humble opinion, I feel that DS games are more fun than PSP. And yes, its an opinion. Yours could be different.
Yes, I know. This is what everyone seems to point out with the PSP. BECAUSE it can play mp3 and video it isn't a gaming device, or at least not a gaming device that was meant for gaming. Everyone says this over and over. The thing is... The PSone had audio CD capabilities, and the PS2 had DVD and CD capabilities, and the PS3 has Bluray, DVD, CD, MP3, blah blah blah all these capabilities. And now the same goes for the Wii and 360. All of these gaming systems have multiple other capabilities. Does this detract from the gaming? In some cases, maybe, but for the most part, no. And then how are are people(I'm not talking about you per se) going to turn around and say that the PSP isn't focused on gaming because it has these extras, when the next gen consoles have these features and more? It's completely idiotic, imo. And then, it's even more idiotic when the same people that were bashing the PSP's extra capabilities come out and brag about the DS' ability to play MP3 and video as well when not too long ago they were bashing those same capabilities.

Yes, I've been in "PSP vs DS" debates since the very beginning. At first on the DS' side and slowly moving towards the PSP side.

Quote:
Oh don't worry, you're not the one who keeps on stating those. Its someone else on this thread, and its an annoying kid. True, DS is targeted more for all ages and numerous interest groups, with games for younger players to games for teens, to adults, to anime and manga lovers, japanophiles, brain enhancing games(Which usually bores me out after playing it for a while due to how easy they are). PSP games however, for me, I feel that they are targetting the teen segment, yes, but because of that, their games feel very repeatitive because they just repeat the same things over and over.
Huh? How do the PSP games feel repetitive? I actually haven't gotten that feeling unless it was a port. >_>

Again, mistakes on my post may be plainly clear since I have no time to recheck my post.
Old 2008-01-19, 05:14   Link #96
Sides

Quote:
Yes, I know. This is what everyone seems to point out with the PSP. BECAUSE it can play mp3 and video it isn't a gaming device, or at least not a gaming device that was meant for gaming. Everyone says this over and over. The thing is... The PSone had audio CD capabilities, and the PS2 had DVD and CD capabilities, and the PS3 has Bluray, DVD, CD, MP3, blah blah blah all these capabilities. And now the same goes for the Wii and 360. All of these gaming systems have multiple other capabilities. Does this detract from the gaming? In some cases, maybe, but for the most part, no.
The situation is kind of different today, because sony changed their marketing strategy. Unlike PS and PS2, both PS3 and the PSP are pushed heavily as media devices. It is not a big deal, but with slow software sales, i'm talking about the PSP, except for mhp2, people and devs do get the idea that the psp is mainly used not as a gaming device, or that piracy is widely spread.
Old 2008-01-19, 09:17   Link #97
Mistacloudstrife
"I'll cut them off..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
The situation is kind of different today, because sony changed their marketing strategy. Unlike PS and PS2, both PS3 and the PSP are pushed heavily as media devices. It is not a big deal, but with slow software sales, i'm talking about the PSP, except for mhp2, people and devs do get the idea that the psp is mainly used not as a gaming device, or that piracy is widely spread.
I'll admit it's a bit different from before, but it's only because of the media used. PS3 used the PS3 to help push the Bluray disc in the format war and the PSP has UMD movies. But I wouldn't say that they're pushing the PSP heavily as a media device. I remember before the PSP even came out, there was an interview with a director from Sony about what the PSP actually was, and he actually did say a multi-media device, but he also stated that the PSP's main focus was on games. If I have the time to look for my old magazines I'll confirm it.

And you can't blame poor software sales on the PSP being a media device. You can blame poorly made and/or half-assed games for that. It's devs fault for not creating a proper game and just using the same old stuff they used on the PS2 and PSone to create a new game. And I would say piracy has alot to do with though, since alot of programs for 1.5 or custom firmwares allow for games to be run off of a memory card, nobody is going to want to buy games anymore. Especially since this is alot easier to do than say modding a PS2 or even using something like swap magic. Burning discs isn't even an issue with the PSP.

But I think the poor software sales are mostly due to the PSP not having a game that really pushes the PSP up there. Something like what Final Fantasy VII was for the original Playstation is all the PSP needs to get a boost for more consumers, more devs, and ultimately to more... everything. I think this is what Sony has been waiting for, and so far all the PSPs been doing is laying stagnant; not doing bad, but not doing anything magnificent either. Hopefully it'll catch a break soon, since more devs and money menas more quality games for me. =P
Old 2008-01-19, 09:21   Link #98
Tripfag
/co/ is superior.

I used to play my DS a lot, but there's been a drought of games lately.

Meanwhile, I have Disgaea and MPO on my PSP.

God, being an Idort is awesome.

I use DS for music and PSP for movies.

Also, an old list of good PSP games.

Tripfag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-19, 11:55   Link #99
Sides

Quote:
I'll admit it's a bit different from before, but it's only because of the media used. PS3 used the PS3 to help push the Bluray disc in the format war and the PSP has UMD movies. But I wouldn't say that they're pushing the PSP heavily as a media device. I remember before the PSP even came out, there was an interview with a director from Sony about what the PSP actually was, and he actually did say a multi-media device, but he also stated that the PSP's main focus was on games. If I have the time to look for my old magazines I'll confirm it.
Ups, i edited my post, because it was too long and some stuff when missing, what i mean was mulitmedia device. I also wrote something about the gps module and how it was being delayed aso.
One could also argue that because of the restructuring and slimlining departments at sony, i.e dropping its plasma production and other technology did effect other divisons such as the gaming department as well. I mean today, unlike few years back, sony do make profit from selling TVs, other entertainment devices and from its motion picture groups. So obviously focusing on the entertainment sector is more profitable for sony, than only focusing on gaming. If we look at the other angle the psp is probably one of the best selling portable multimedia devices in recent years, maybe even beating the ipod(?), and the ps3 is the best selling blu-ray player currently on the market, and probably will still be in the future. With skype newly announced for the psp, they are obviously going to targeting Voip phones next.

The whole DS vs PSP is kind of weird anyway, on one side you have a great gaming device and on the other a highend gadget machine, that you can use as a phone now. So if one wants to compare both you have to set boundaries, and that would be focusing only on games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripfag
Also, an old list of good PSP games.
Really you just need Locoroco all the other games are just medicore compared to it ^^
Old 2008-01-19, 14:46   Link #100
Z3120

First and foremost, I would like to state I like buying games that are ports and/or remakes if the price is reasonable and the extra content is nice icing on the cake. With that said, I have no problem buying such games like Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions and Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness for my PSP when I already have the PSX and PS2 copy respectively. Whether it's a worthwhile investment or a complete waste is really up to the individual on what they think is a justifiable purchase in the end for any game in general.

And no, I strongly disagree with the notion "since you can pirate games, why bother buying" attitude many people seem to be taking. I pirate things too, as much or as little as the next person who knows how, but I'm a firm believer in buying things I see myself enjoying and worthwhile. I suppose it's a question of morality and just knowing you have a hard-copy around for precaution. I don't know

I've went a bit off-topic with that mini-rant so moving on.

I do have an NDS, but I haven't bothered with it since Tetris and FF3. I really have no clue as to why. Strange, isn't it? I'd like to get into such games like Fire Emblem since I've heard many good things and I love SRPGs, but mysteriously, I ain't interested in doing so at all. At least, not yet. Any recommendations of NDS games? Anyone can PM me a list or link for suggestions I guess.

Lately, I've been in love with my PSP because of its video capabilities, a somewhat decent audio output and some games (namely the two I've previously mentioned in my first paragraph). Encoding videos on the fly for my PSP while I'm surfing the web, watching anime and so forth on my computer is pretty nifty. The transfer rate is quite modest and easily done quickly. Most importantly, the future of what PSP-PS3 interconnectivity can bring!

If homebrew should be mentioned, both the NDS and PSP offer nearly the same things like emus and playing games off a disk storage. What I'm really optimistic about for the PSP right now is the interconnectivity between the PSP and PS3 like I've said before ecstatically. I hope sometime in the future, it may be possible to utilize the remote play functions of the PSP-PS3 when playing PSX games not in the disc drive and downloaded onto the HDD from PSN. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for, but being about to use the PS3's HDD as an external storage from anywhere you're at, sounds like an amazing prospect.

I really have no strong argument against the NDS and likely am Sony bias without me mentioning it, but depending on what you want out of your gaming system, I say the PSP is definitely the worthwhile bang for the buck in terms of multi-media capabilities. NDS, I'm not so sure because I seldom use it nowadays.
Z3120 is offline   Reply With Quote