AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa Movie Rating
Perfect 10 40 42.11%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 33 34.74%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 12 12.63%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 5.26%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 3.16%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 2.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-23, 06:19   Link #3421
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
And how is that related to my question, unless it's to confirm what I was saying?
That's easily answered: Zero's directors gave a fair number of suggestive or romantic scenes where both Mao/Sara and Shin were together. The directors for the Frontier movies did not do this.
It was directed one way: towards Alto and Sheryl.

If you'd watched the movies back (and I mean back-to-back) you jump from one Alto and Sheryl scene to another, even suggestive scenes, and only see one to three scenes with Ranka instead (which was one-sided because the directors cared less for that couple). At least in Zero, they kept suggestive scenes for Mao at the end (like Mao calling out to Shin, him hearing her song, and etc.) but that does not come in the movies of Frontier.

There was no love triangle in Sayonara no Tsubasa. It was clear as day at the end of Itsuwari no Utahime that the love triangle had ended on Alto and Sheryl because the directors gave you that impression. They centered around Alto and Sheryl so much throughout the movie and into the second one, which was mostly about Sheryl again, that you couldn't go near Alto and Ranka if you truly wanted to. They made it drastically clear in the scenes that Alto and Ranka were friends (no romantic growth whatsoever on Alto's side) and Alto and Sheryl were a couple (with drastic romantic growth in 4hrs).

And the pathetic part is... the series was at least decent in triangle growth from all sides of the field (Alto had feelings for both Ranka and Sheryl), but the movies just piss on the fact there's a love triangle.

Quote:
You are the one who should read what others write more carefully. In all this, you didn't answer my question...
Naw, I read it, and I answered it; but because I never mentioned Zero in my answer or gave a direct comparison, you feel the need to ask for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I'm not saying you're 'stupid'. I am saying that you have very different standards from the rest of us, at least those of us posting here, of how to interpret popular culture.

I.e. we're long established you're not going to convince me (and many others here) to see your way, I'm not going to convince you to see mine, and no one else here will convince you of theirs either.

So I see no point in discussing it any further, since it's already gone around in circles so many times
Then I take back my "offense" piece. I misunderstood then. But it sounded like that. Perhaps wording it differently would've been wise.

And actually, it's not only me who thinks this way. If all the Alto/Ranka fans weren't banned from here, I'm sure they'd say the same thing: Sheryl dominated the movies and by the end of the 1st, we already knew somewhere inside that Sheryl was the winner just by how the directors and script writers had put her out to be. There was no competition, therefore it wasn't a love triangle. Had they at least balanced the triangle by giving Ranka some scenes that were suggestive in the 2nd movie, then perhaps we all would've seen a possibility of Ranka making a comeback, but unfortunately, it was all Sheryl; and that just disgusts me about the movies. A Macross has a love triangle, not a parallel line with a person standing outside looking in. Otherwise, it ain't Macross. And that's how it was from movie 1: a parallel line with a person standing outside looking in. And Ranka knew it too, which is why she constantly got upset over remembering Alto being kissed by Sheryl.
Old 2011-11-23, 06:22   Link #3422
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
That's easily answered: Zero's directors gave a fair number of suggestive or romantic scenes where both Mao/Sara and Shin were together.
No, it didn't. But I'm not surprised you didn't see it that way.

Quote:
Naw, I read it, and I answered it; but because I never mentioned Zero in my answer or gave a direct comparison, you feel the need to ask for more.
One thing I will never do is ask for more of you, dear. Let's just leave it at that.

Old 2011-11-23, 06:41   Link #3423
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
No, it didn't. But I'm not surprised you didn't see it that way.
You realize that "suggestive scene" means them being together in a scene (like holding a conversation, being rescued, etc.) and "romantic scene" means them doing intimate things (like holding hands, kissing, etc.).

Mao: was with Shin when he first arrived, spent time with him on the island, got rescued often, kissed him once, called out to him which he heard her voice, sung to him as he descended
Sara: was with Shin when he first arrived, spent time with him on the island, got rescued by him, kissed him once, died with him

Both had equal "suggestive" and "romantic" scenes with him where both girls got a chance at his heart.

The Frontier movies had:

Sheryl: meets Alto, got rescued often, went on a long date with him, kissed him on the cheek once, was thought about, told she wasn't alone, was apologized to for failing to save Galaxy, was holding a deep in-depth conversation with Alto about their pasts as professionals, was broken out of jail by Alto mostly, tries to grab Alto's hand but fails and pushes Ranka to him, has flashback of meeting younger Alto, admits herself as said girl, is acknowledged as said girl, is confessed to
Ranka: already knows Alto, gets rescued often, introduces him to Aimo, talks with him in Family Mart, shares in-depth conversation about Aimo, shares one moment of hand holding with him, is told he'll e-mail her later, goes on date with him, confession scene, realizes Vajra hear her song but he's shot down, is rejected

Notice how one-sided the crap is? Look at how many "suggestive" and "romantic" scenes Sheryl had with Alto compared to Ranka. Now look back at all of those scenes and tell me where exactly you felt the directors were going with all of those scenes being laid out. It screamed Alto/Sheryl from the beginning and I wasn't surprised that was the ending.

Hell, they gave it in the fucking trailer, for the love of God. The tear drop scene on Alto's cheek, the excessive Alto and Sheryl moments (or just them individually) completely pushed Ranka out of the picture with the exception of a few scenes. The trailers for the movie barely showed Ranka at all, more Alto and Sheryl than anything else.
Old 2011-11-23, 09:21   Link #3424
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

More whines about the ending and the "lackluster" main couple?

Puh-leeeaaase.

Predictable but it's getting redundant.

Oh yeah, I loved how they animated Sheryl singing Northern Cross and Lion, they made her lips sync to the lyrics perfectly.

Why people keep sucking on sour grapes is beyond me.
Old 2011-11-23, 09:31   Link #3425
vivitoru
Gunsam!

Mao totally had a legit chance with Shin and people totally bought into that.

Really now, I don't know if saying Mao had a better shot with Shin in Zero than Ranka had with Alto in the Frontier movies speaks volume as a valid argument.

Last edited by vivitoru; 2011-11-23 at 09:35. Reason: q
Old 2011-11-23, 11:46   Link #3426
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
And the pathetic part is... the series was at least decent in triangle growth from all sides of the field (Alto had feelings for both Ranka and Sheryl), but the movies just piss on the fact there's a love triangle.
Actually, the pathetic part is where a small minority actually thought the triangle was decent.

And of course you thought it was decent, because the ending to the series provided a fait-accompli to the triangle, if nothing else.

But if the triangle was as decent as you like to believe or if the characters were developed in the way you thought was good...

Then Ranka should be on par with Sheryl on the polls. She isn't.

Then there should not be an endless marathon of anti-Ranka posts on 2ch.

Then there should not be angry fans, who bought the BD, cut Ranka's character out and stabbing it with a scissor.

And although Ranka's character had a Chinese name, her character in Chinese speaking regions is treated much worse than here. See, her Chinese nickname is green pubic hair... yeah...

Then there are some of us who thought the triangle was far from decent, but frustrating at best, with Ranka in the way of the goodies. Fortunately, they corrected this trend in the movie. Thank Protoculture.

Hell, I thought Kathy was going to be Sheryl's competition in the triangle. She looked like a Misa-hard ass, that and she er... got a reading off me from... oh... nvm.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-11-23 at 14:10.
Old 2011-11-23, 13:33   Link #3427
magnuskn

Quote:
If all the Alto/Ranka fans weren't banned from here,
Huh? Outside of the great Cthulhu ( = BleachOD ), who exactly is banned here?
Old 2011-11-23, 13:52   Link #3428
Lancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Hell, I thought Kathy was going to be Sheryl's competition in the triangle. She looked like a Misa-hard ass, that and she er... got a reading off me from... oh... nvm.
I liked Cathy before I liked Sheryl. She was faceted right from the start with her being a young officer with a lot of job pressure, being nice to people because it's her job, and then calling those same people bitches behind their backs. Reasonably competent, too, "Hey! Hey! No more singing, emergency means we get you to safety." And got her out quickly too! Even Alto thought so!
Old 2011-11-23, 14:06   Link #3429
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancel View Post
I liked Cathy before I liked Sheryl. She was faceted right from the start with her being a young officer with a lot of job pressure, being nice to people because it's her job, and then calling those same people bitches behind their backs. Reasonably competent, too, "Hey! Hey! No more singing, emergency means we get you to safety." And got her out quickly too! Even Alto thought so!
Unfortunately, her character likability was marred by her brief, but memorable interaction with a certain watermelon...

Fortunately, again, they corrected that in the movie. Thank Protoculture.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-11-23, 15:35   Link #3430
MichiNekoChan
::::D

Send a message via AIM to MichiNekoChan
Quote:
Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me?

It's hard to tell...
Rather belated reply but....

I was agreeing with Maggy, but you managed to post before me. (and I didn't bother to edit it ;/)

Karice - If you managed to finish it up, post it! I still need to show the movie to friends, and would love to use your version.
Old 2011-11-23, 15:52   Link #3431
Lancel

Quote:
Unfortunately, her character likability was marred by her brief, but memorable interaction with a certain watermelon...

Fortunately, again, they corrected that in the movie. Thank Protoculture.

- Tak
An unfortunate truth, though I gotta say there were only three discretionary shots in Frontier. Two involved Cathy. >>
Old 2011-11-23, 18:09   Link #3432
Thess

Quote:
Actually, the pathetic part is where a small minority actually thought the triangle was decent.

And of course you thought it was decent, because the ending to the series provided a fait-accompli to the triangle, if nothing else.

But if the triangle was as decent as you like to believe or if the characters were developed in the way you thought was good...

Then Ranka should be on par with Sheryl on the polls. She isn't.

Then there should not be an endless marathon of anti-Ranka posts on 2ch.

Then there should not be angry fans, who bought the BD, cut Ranka's character out and stabbing it with a scissor.

And although Ranka's character had a Chinese name, her character in Chinese speaking regions is treated much worse than here. See, her Chinese nickname is green pubic hair... yeah...

Then there are some of us who thought the triangle was far from decent, but frustrating at best, with Ranka in the way of the goodies. Fortunately, they corrected this trend in the movie. Thank Protoculture.

- Tak
Ranka is still more popular than say, Alto Saotome, in general polls there (the movie made him more likable to the general audience. Did he appear in polls before the movie version?). Or as popular as he is in the Macross poll (she beat Misa's popularity, didn't she in the Macross Ace poll?).

However the Alto/Ranka romance indeed isn't as popular as the Sheryl/Alto. In my experience, her fans in Japan prefer her with Brera. So the Kiss in the Galaxy manga was pretty much Kawamori truly approving an official universe that gives Sheryl fans and Ranka fans the happy endings they wanted (with that hinted double wedding).

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-11-23, 18:41   Link #3433
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thess View Post
Ranka is still more popular than say, Alto Saotome, in general polls there (the movie made him more likable to the general audience. Did he appear in polls before the movie version?). Or as popular as he is in the Macross poll (she beat Misa's popularity, didn't she in the Macross Ace poll?).
In most polls, there are both a male & female category, so the answer is yes. In fact, he beat Ranka a few times, much to my amazement. But Thess, this is Macross. If a given singer's popularity does not eclipse that of the pilot... we have a problem

OTOH, Ranka does indeed have her own base... by herself. Though when it gets to the triangle, she gets thrashed, despite individuals harboring some appreciation for her talent. And thats based on personal observation.

However, it would appear that Ranka indeed... has a non-conflicting, even appreciated pairing with Banana supported by Japanese fans... yeah, its incest... but in anime, relatives are fair game.

- Tak

Last edited by Tak; 2011-11-23 at 19:13.
Old 2011-11-23, 18:43   Link #3434
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Is it out of the system yet?? Can we move on???

=====

Official Complete Book Interview: Kawamori Shouji
part 1, part 2 and now, part 3.

Spoiler for length:

p.s. still two-thirds left of this interview to go

=====

@MichiNekoChan
I'll try to get it done this week sometime. Although maybe a better group will release their version in the meantime!
(btw, I've finally gotten a look at the other major release, and they haven't fixed the major translation problems...orz)

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-11-23, 18:46   Link #3435
Tak

Quote:
Is it out of the system yet?? Can we move on???
You know I love you Karice.

- Tak

Old 2011-11-23, 19:03   Link #3436
magnuskn

Quote:
Ranka is still more popular than say, Alto Saotome, in general polls there (the movie made him more likable to the general audience. Did he appear in polls before the movie version?).
A few times, yes.
Old 2011-11-23, 21:58   Link #3437
Darthtabby

Quote:
Are there any differences between what you originally planned and the series that aired on TV in 2008?

The outline has largely remained the same, but in the original plan, Michel’s death occurred in the first half of the series – we made organizational changes like that. What was important about this series, “Macross F”, was the notion of “a school-based story with double heroines”, which we’d never done before. Yoshino Hiroyuki, who was responsible for Series Composition, used to be a school teacher, so ‘school-based stories’ are his specialty. On the music front, building on the past and present, we decided to make one an already established star, the Galactic Fairy, with the other a new girl being promoted.
[
Moving Michael's death to the second half of the series was definitely a good idea -it had more impact that way. Also, is anyone else a bit disturbed by the idea that Hiroyuki Yoshino used to be a teacher given some of the series he's done creative work for? (Macross Frontier is rather tame compared to some of the projects he's been involved in.)
Old 2011-11-24, 01:00   Link #3438
Thess

Quote:
In most polls, there are both a male & female category, so the answer is yes. In fact, he beat Ranka a few times, much to my amazement. But Thess, this is Macross. If a given singer's popularity does not eclipse that of the pilot... we have a problem
Roy has always been more popular than Basara (and Alto and Hikaru!)

Speaking on Ranka's popularity, I went to search for Sheryl birthday pics in pixiv and looked at the art amassed.

シェリル・ノーム3758
ランカ・リー3542
早乙女アルト1243

(I didn't consider their names alone because sometimes, in Sheryl's case in particular, for instance, there's a lot of Sheryls accounted. Even if I did, Alto can't touch Sheryl's or Ranka's numbers. I wouldn't say her fanbase is small by any rate. Smaller than Sheryl's? DUH).

Thank you, Karice <3

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2011-11-24, 01:28   Link #3439
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
More whines about the ending and the "lackluster" main couple?

Puh-leeeaaase.

Predictable but it's getting redundant.

Why people keep sucking on sour grapes is beyond me.
I could say the same for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivitoru View Post
Mao totally had a legit chance with Shin and people totally bought into that.

Really now, I don't know if saying Mao had a better shot with Shin in Zero than Ranka had with Alto in the Frontier movies speaks volume as a valid argument.
You completely missed where I said the directors aimed it that way. Just because I add their emotions, I am still meaning towards the people who created the show making their emotions aim that way.

Mao had a fair shot whereas Ranka did not because the footage did not work in her favor ever in the movies. The series, yes; the movies, no. But Zero's footage showed all three characters growing towards one another and then Shin made his choice (even though he had strong affections for both girls). Frontier (the series) showed the same growth but with indecision in the end (from a director's point of view). In the movies, however, they spent 90% of the time building Alto and Sheryl and no Alto and Ranka, therefore the triangle fell apart completely, so why call it "Sayonara no Tsubasa ~ the end of triangle" if there is no triangle? Because Kawamori wanted you to believe there still was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Huh? Outside of the great Cthulhu ( = BleachOD ), who exactly is banned here?
Then maybe they just don't give a fuck about you guys anymore (and bless them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiNekoChan View Post
Rather belated reply but....

I was agreeing with Maggy, but you managed to post before me. (and I didn't bother to edit it ;/)
Of course you were.

Quote:

However the Alto/Ranka romance indeed isn't as popular as the Sheryl/Alto. In my experience, her fans in Japan prefer her with Brera. So the Kiss in the Galaxy manga was pretty much Kawamori truly approving an official universe that gives Sheryl fans and Ranka fans the happy endings they wanted (with that hinted double wedding).
Agreed.

Ranka is more popular and is easily one of the most lovable characters (for her introduced personality in Ep.1). Alto, however, is more like a female than a male in looks, so therefore they'd be better judging him on a female poll. He also doesn't have a strong personality that people like. If there's something consistent about Macross, it's that people aren't really attached to the male character trapped in the triangle (Hikaru, Shin, and Alto).

As for Alto/Ranka romance, not a lot of people want to admit that they support her. I think the shame of Ep.24-25 brought a lot of people down. I know it did for me. I didn't want them to harm her character like that but Yoshino sunk to the lowest form of hell there is for Ranka... honestly, the lengths they go to just to make you wanna like Sheryl, it disgusts me.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-11-24 at 10:49. Reason: Let's NOT go there...
Old 2011-11-24, 01:40   Link #3440
BaKaBaKaOtaKu
Stupidity is Bliss.

@karice67:

thanks for these stuff. ==))
Closed Thread

Tags
mecha, movie, romance, science fiction, song