AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-07-29, 23:25   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 716 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Alright peeps, break's over, and spoilers are out! Credit goes to Redon from AP for the summary:

-Chapter title is "Don Chinjao". The ministory shows the cyborg Scotch holding the half-dead old lady, and is about to finish her off in front of her grandson's rebel group.

-Kelly Funk's DF ability is revealed: He has the powers of the Jacket Jacket fruit, which allows him to transform into a jacket, as the name implies. Sai of the Chinjao family takes on the Funk brothers in order to avenge the loss of his brother Boo, and ultimately defeats the assassin duo.

-Afterwards, Sai takes on the boxer Ideo. It seems the two have a rough fight, but..... the both of them are taken out near-effortlessly by Luffy and Don Chinjao. Furthermore, Luffy and the Don are the last two contestants in the C-block! The chapter ends with an epic clash between the old and younger generations....

Geez, I knew the fights would be short, but I didn't think like Ideo or Sai would be taken down THAT fast! Just goes to show what kind of monsters Luffy and Don Chinjao are, that's for certain. Still, I'm curious about Jean Ango. He wasn't mentioned in the spoiler, but the fact that there are only two fighters left at the end of the chapter must mean he got taken out as well, which would also be a shame, IMO.

Anyway, there might not be a chapter next week since there will be a holiday in Japan coming up soon (Obon), so the magazine (NOT Oda) will probably be on break. I'm not completely certain about this though, so I'll wait for confirmation.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2013-07-31 at 01:13.
Old 2013-07-29, 23:47   Link #2
Undertaker

It's bitter sweet I suppose.

On one side it is a bit disappointing to see names drops that quickly (maybe they'll resurface?)

On the other side it keep the main story flow from getting bogged down by the tournament as it is already right now. Not that I don't enjoy the tournament, but I do think the story is spreading a little too much for an arc that seem to be leading to a potential Kaidou arc.
Old 2013-07-30, 08:54   Link #3
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

i read this spoiler at another place... wonder if it's true...

"bobby fights chinjao and they both knock each other out"?
Old 2013-07-30, 13:50   Link #4
shalala

I wonder if Kelly in his jacket form is still able to retain the ablity to talk,smell,see etc.
Old 2013-07-30, 13:57   Link #5
Rainbowman

The jacket devil fruit powers was the main highlight for this chapter.
Old 2013-07-30, 15:19   Link #6
golgo13

I wonder if he wore some sort of metal or something to make his body hard.
Old 2013-07-30, 19:54   Link #7
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalala View Post
I wonder if Kelly in his jacket form is still able to retain the ablity to talk,smell,see etc.

We saw his ability in action in the previous chapter, remember? How it looked like he fused with his brother Bobby? It seems to be like his power is meant to combine the greatest strengths of two people (which in this case is Bobby's muscular body with Kerry's violent nature).
Old 2013-07-31, 00:20   Link #8
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Couple of things to add.

Jean Ango is after Impel Down escapees.
He even knows the whereabouts of the former Lv6 inmates.

Luffy and Chinjao casually brushing aside Sai and Ideo was hilarious.

Luffy and Chinjao's fist-clash (black, using CoA obviously) causes a massive impact and ripples through the colosseum, and it looks a lot like Shanks/Wb clash.
Diamante even comments that it's the clash of Kings Haki.
Old 2013-07-31, 01:19   Link #9
marvelB

^Yeah, saw your summary over at AP. The part about Ango knowing the whereabouts of the level 6 prisoners is most definitely the chapter's highlight for me so far. I wouldn't even be surprised if some of them were among those shadow brokers we saw at PH.....

Also, as awesome as the Luffy/Chinjao stuff sounds, it also makes me rather apprehensive because this is just gonna open up yet another can of worms as far as the power debates are concerned.....

Edit: Damn, Panda was faster than usual this time.....

Last edited by marvelB; 2013-07-31 at 01:39.
Old 2013-07-31, 01:57   Link #10
bigdeal000
malefic

Yup, chapter out. The pacing here reminds me of the Whitebeard war. The fights are short and intense, but, unlike there, the fights actually have a clear winner so I like it more. This is not a proper tournament, but with so much going on at the same time, Oda has to do this if he wants to finish the manga in the next 10 years... Can't wait to see more of Luffy vs Chinjao, but I have this feeling Oda will leave us hanging and go somewhere else with the next chapter.
Old 2013-07-31, 02:41   Link #11
marvelB

Man, that weird look Jean Ango had on his face before Don Chinjao took him out is hilarious. It's a shame that he went out of the game so soon, but I think it was worth it for that "shiny eye" expression alone (as well as that commentator guy's heart-eye reaction shots).

And I can sooooo see James making another "pointless mini-flashback" rant about the scene where Kelly Funk's power is explained.
Old 2013-07-31, 03:31   Link #12
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Sounds like Jean Ango only took out small fries that escaped Impel Down, I'd say he's got his sights set too high. It doesn't seem like he can handle the stronger escapees.

And yeah, that look on his face when he realized Don Chinjao was going to smack him for being hit by those weapon projectiles was hilarious indeed.

I also found it amusing how the commentator speculated if the Sai/Ideo fight would decide the victor, only for them both to be taken out like nothing shortly afterward. Always love those crowd eye popping moments.
Old 2013-07-31, 04:55   Link #13
Undertaker

Speaking of ID escapee, it just pops in my head that maybe Chinjao could being one of ID's level 6 escapee?

I mean not many people seems to know Ivankov was imprisoned in ID before and they mention most Level 6 prisoner are people they tries to erase from record. I've always wondered why not just execute them. But what if a lot of those Level 6 prisoner have political ties, that could explain the reason why they don't just execute level 6 prisoners.

BTW, Jean Ango called Luffy with a name, anyone knows what the original Japanese is? The translation I've seen in English is "Gihaou", The Chinese fan translation is "妓配王", both is not making much sense to me...
Old 2013-07-31, 05:59   Link #14
Battler-kun

Well, i am glad Oda is giving us a proper fight again and not just 1-KO-hits and runaway.

But on the other hand, this doesn't need to get out of hand, because the main story lies somewhere else!.
Old 2013-07-31, 08:42   Link #15
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

This chapter was full of awesome and priceless moments, from Kerry's DF ability, to that look of "what have I done" from Jean Ango and most of all...the way Luffy and Don just brushed those two aside xD
Old 2013-07-31, 09:55   Link #16
Eleutheria
旅行癖

I bet the treasure that Garp stole from Don is something really stupid like a childhood girlfriend that Garp kissed in front of Don, or the last taiyaki at a famous store.
Old 2013-07-31, 10:54   Link #17
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Speaking of ID escapee, it just pops in my head that maybe Chinjao could being one of ID's level 6 escapee?

I mean not many people seems to know Ivankov was imprisoned in ID before and they mention most Level 6 prisoner are people they tries to erase from record. I've always wondered why not just execute them. But what if a lot of those Level 6 prisoner have political ties, that could explain the reason why they don't just execute level 6 prisoners.

BTW, Jean Ango called Luffy with a name, anyone knows what the original Japanese is? The translation I've seen in English is "Gihaou", The Chinese fan translation is "妓配王", both is not making much sense to me...
He doesn't call Luffy 妓配王, that the name of his move.
ぎはいおう -> pun of おいはぎ
It's basically oihagi spelled backwards in Japanese.

Oihagi is a looter who attacks others and take their stuff.
Which is what Jean Ango does.
Old 2013-07-31, 11:00   Link #18
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Kelly's DF ability is pretty original. It seems like it could have more uses than this.
Old 2013-07-31, 14:22   Link #19
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Kelly's DF ability is pretty original. It seems like it could have more uses than this.

Yeah, I was considering this, myself. It sounds silly at first, but..... the more I think about it, it has the potential to be an extremely useful ability. I mean, Kelly could basically use this power to control the most powerful DF/haki users in the world if he manages to attach himself to them. In fact, it makes me wonder why he didn't bother becoming Don Chinjao's "jacket" if he wanted to dominate the tournament!
Old 2013-07-31, 14:47   Link #20
Zenesis
Zenesis Of Rexeus

This chapter really good, i enjoyed