AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ouran Host Club

Notices

Old 2006-04-08, 18:59   Link #41
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by termdex
I don't really follow VAs all that much, but I have to say that after I read in other posts that Haruhi's seiyuu was this Sakamoto person I was surprised. While watching the show I just thought it was a standard teenage guy's voice, a choice to help support the male image of the character. Kinda like how sometimes a crossdressing male character will have a female voice to support the female image (Aoi Futaba from You're Under Arrest comes to mind).

Is that typical, for teenage male characters to be played by a female VA?
Yes, it is typical, and not just in anime.

Bart Simpson is voiced by a woman too.

In general, young boy-voices are played by women, because young boys lose their voice after a while. So the only way you can get experienced voice actors to sound like a young boy is if the actor is an actress.

One such advantage is in Naruto, when the main lead can use her real voice when Naruto turned himself into a girl as a part of his Harem no Jitsu. The American dub went the same way with a female voice for Naruto.

The "bishie" voices are men, of course.
Old 2006-04-08, 21:03   Link #42
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime
Ok, I am taking this just to see if this is so. The Captain is IMO one of the best character VA's to appear in the last 10 years due to sheer awesomeness of range. To be compared to that is something I'd have to see for myself
Aahh, I didn't mean that she's necessarily as good as Houko Kuwashima, it's just that the sound of her voice reminded me of Kuwashima's voice (when she does it a bit rough).

But of cousre you can tell the two apart.
Old 2006-04-08, 22:04   Link #43
SmartChick
Future Billionaire

Send a message via AIM to SmartChick
Ok as everyone has said it was great. The amount of roses in just this ep could be a billion. In practically every scene there is a rose to be found. Usually if there isnt a transparent rose will appear in a corner, rose petals and even the tea cups and pot has roses on it. The clock tower is also predominate it appears about 5 times throughout the ep. You can definitely smell utena all over this. Anyway I luved the composure of the statue it was freakin hilarious. And I luv Honey-senpai he reminds me of momiji from fruits basket. There are some suttle differences from the manga but nothing major. Im just curious how this series will end since the manga isn’t finished yet I guess well have to wait and see.

Last edited by SmartChick; 2006-04-08 at 22:24.
SmartChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 22:21   Link #44
fynefilo

Send a message via MSN to fynefilo
This series is just aawesome! I love the colours of the animation, and the characters are interesting. It's very funny. I wasn't gonna try this one out because it didn't sound anything special, but when I found out that the OP theme was done by Chieco Kawabe (love her music;she rocks) and that Lunar (love their work) was subbing it, I just HAD to try it. I'm so glad that I tried it out =)

Btw, does anybody know how many episodes this will be?
fynefilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-08, 23:13   Link #45
Cal-Reflector

First thing that comes to mind: Fruits Basket character parallels.

Main character Haruhi is of course Tohru, our hapless down-to-earth heroine who suddenly finds herself surrounded by irresistably hot men. Haruhi's selling point, her down-to-earthness-smile that turns on... well, everyone, is similar to Tohru, except the appeal is milked for its money's worth straight off the bat. *Laughs*

Other main character is the King, or, Ayame, Yuki's older brother. There can't be a more obvious parallel than this, they are twins, enough said. I'm glad to see that Ayame will be the main hero this turn around. Loved that man.

Then we have Momiji... I mean, Honey. Um, they look the same, the talk the same, the behave the same way and they're both rabbit-related. If possible however, Honey milks his cuteness even more than Momiji does. *Laughs*

Then we have Hattori... I mean, Mori. The cool silent type. Not much on him yet but I like the guy, and hope to see more of him.

The only characters that don't have direct parallels from Fruits Basket are the Student Council Glasses man and the Twins. I don't know what Student-Council-President's "turn-on" is yet, but the Twins are milking their Brotherly-Love as their primary appeal.

Conclusion: The show is a social commentary on Bishounen-ism and what about them turns Fangirls on, broken down into several archetypes each represented by a separate character. If Mark Twain wished to write a scathing parody on Fangirlsm, this would be it. The format of the story is tried and trued, down to the character types and the girl-posing-as-boy part. Nontheless this may be entertaining so I'll keep watching, if only to have something to discuss with my friends.

My brain physically hurts after watching that... can't... handle.... fangirl...... bait. Need... shonen... anime... now... fix... damage....... *Goes off to watch some show with lots of guns and explosions and bad guys getting blown away*

Edit: Tried to browse through the episode again, big mistake. I've really reached my limit on the amount of undiluted, pure, Fangirl-content I can absorb for one day... no, more like a week; if I push myself any further I'll soon be in a strait jacket and padded cell, my sanity fried by all the glitter, the narcissm, the yaoi-bait-ness, the hearts... *Curls into fetal position, whimpering*

Intersting show, give it a try.
Old 2006-04-08, 23:32   Link #46
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

Hehe, I must've developed tolerance for fangirl material over the years, but it sure didn't get in the way of making this an entertaining first episode. The Utena and Fruits Basket references abound and the humor is just over the top. More, please!
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 00:17   Link #47
wao
OK.

Careful, Cal-Reflector... You're starting to lose your masculinity... don't complain if next morning you wake up and find yourself missing some things...

I guess this show was extra funny to me because I normally don't watch these kind of shows, and yet this show was such a huge jab at it that I couldn't help laughing.

I wonder if $evil_female_opponent will appear next episode?
Old 2006-04-09, 00:22   Link #48
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist_Classic
Hehe, I must've developed tolerance for fangirl material over the years, but it sure didn't get in the way of making this an entertaining first episode. The Utena and Fruits Basket references abound and the humor is just over the top. More, please!
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was repeatedly put in mind of FB - not least (but not only) due to Hani-Senpai's supreme Momiji-ness. I didn't see an answer to the earlier question, and since I haven't read the manga I'm curious too - is Hani someone who looks way young for his age (like Momiji) or some kind of child genius who skipped about 7 grades?
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 00:23   Link #49
Kanos
Milk...

Send a message via MSN to Kanos
lol it's only been out on suki for a little while and it already has 3 page worth of posts O_o?! I'm glad it does, cuz this is an awsome anime. Nothing is over done and still funny while telling the story. Altho the plot may seem cliche'd , i bet there will be some sort of twist to it. And even if there wasn't, it'll still be awsome. I'm craving the second subed episode already, and i just watched it. I'm telling my friends to watch this as i call it the "funniest comedy i've ever seen" (though ppl may beg to differ)
Kanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 00:30   Link #50
SmartChick
Future Billionaire

Send a message via AIM to SmartChick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was repeatedly put in mind of FB - not least (but not only) due to Hani-Senpai's supreme Momiji-ness. I didn't see an answer to the earlier question, and since I haven't read the manga I'm curious too - is Hani someone who looks way young for his age (like Momiji) or some kind of child genius who skipped about 7 grades?
He just looks and acts way young for his age. He is actually the oldest one in the club and also I like how mori-kun spoils him.

Last edited by SmartChick; 2006-04-09 at 09:50.
SmartChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 01:40   Link #51
Tiberium Wolf

Oh crap... this ep 1 really got me! LoL... I wasn't really expecting the surprise by the end of the ep...
Old 2006-04-09, 02:05   Link #52
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo
the fact that they have the same VA probably enhances that (Saitou Ayaka)
if you had watched the anime version of FB.

I think thats the only VA in common between the two shows though...
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 02:11   Link #53
musouka

Hm, I don't think it's especially like Utena or Fruits Basket. There are some similar aspects, sure, but Furuba is more of a gentle sort of show, and well, Utena doesn't really have the market cornered on the rose motif. Especially when it comes to shoujo.

Ouran is a show that really celebrates its excesses, but I think its cast of characters is very likeable. (Even moreso in the anime than the manga, actually) It's goofy, light and fun.

As an aside, I'm surprised at how many Tamakis we have in this thread. I have to commend you all for seeing it through to the end reveal, especially if it didn't think it'd be your thing at first.
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 02:34   Link #54
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Wow, I didn't expect to like this show, but the blogs convinced me to give it a try. I'm especially enjoying the Fruits Basket parallels with Honey and Clover type humor, BONES really picked what works. This one's definately a keeper
Shirobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 03:02   Link #55
riznar
Save the Lesbians!

Obviously, this was great.

Someone get a katamari in here and roll up all of those roses!
riznar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 08:18   Link #56
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Careful, Cal-Reflector... You're starting to lose your masculinity... don't complain if next morning you wake up and find yourself missing some things...
Genetically, we are all female. It's just the male part that's odd

Now, in some places I'v seen in Thailand the line between what is male and female is really blurry >_<

But for this show, maybe the message is that gender doesn't really matter.
Burner of Anime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 08:47   Link #57
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burner of Anime
Genetically, we are all female. It's just the male part that's odd

Now, in some places I'v seen in Thailand the line between what is male and female is really blurry >_<

But for this show, maybe the message is that gender doesn't really matter.
I think a quote from one of my favourite MariMite bloggers is in order:

Quote:
Everytime I watch a Marimite episode, part of my manhood dies. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been victimized by this show so I'm not worried. This show may be turning me into a woman but it's concurrently turning me into a lesbian. Hey, it's all good as long as I still like girls, right?
http://www.lovelykitsune.com/archive..._ga_miteru.php
Old 2006-04-09, 09:00   Link #58
Busaiku Chama
爆発

Great anime.
Absolutely loved it.
So far (in my opinion) the best one this season.

The characters are hilarious, the animation is incredibly well done, the music is awesome, and the sequencing is done really well too.
Overall, it rocks.
Busaiku Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 09:54   Link #59
Archuka
A territory most absolute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal-Reflector
My brain physically hurts after watching that... can't... handle.... fangirl...... bait. Need... shonen... anime... now... fix... damage....... *Goes off to watch some show with lots of guns and explosions and bad guys getting blown away*
My thoughts exactly!

Watching this made me feel like a damn fangirl, but I have to admit it was damn funny! Generally I can't stand shoujo or bishounens at all, but this show parodies them really well.
Archuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-04-09, 11:16   Link #60
ZeusIrae
Loyal Haruhist.

oohohoh.........pink overload

I almost died there,that thing is so funny.I didn't expect much because I read the first vol of the manga and I didn't really like it.But I think the anime is much better.

The discovery of instant coffee is a scene I will remember for a long time.