AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2010-05-26, 22:02   Link #10701
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiza Sunozaki View Post
Well, considering George is the cousin who spends the most time among the adults, he could probably work it out himself that Kinzo is dead, even if Shannon doesn't imply it. He's pretty intelligent.
Yeah he is and he probably can. At the time though I wrote the theory like a fanfic. So my writing wasn't very subtle. I ended up just putting a little less of it down on notes later.
Judoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-26, 23:18   Link #10702
Judoh
Mystery buff

If we're going to suspect Kumasawa though I want to think she's a talented voice actor. She was involved with acting out that argument with Kinzo so that's a hint I guess. But I could also say I wouldn't put it past her since she seems to be good at many kind of pranks.

Battler heard the calls himself, but I guess we can't deny Kumasawa would be capable of that even though the hints are scarce. I guess I want to argue that the calls in episode 4 were all an act by her. The calls themselves don't really match the characters.
Old 2010-05-27, 00:20   Link #10703
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

My impression of Kumasawa is more that she may be indirectly responsible for equipping the actual culprit with the skills, penchant for theatrics and trickery, and legends necessary to craft a mystical sheen over their actions. I just don't know if I can really buy that she's directly involved, especially if Virgilia's characterization is supposed to reflect on her somehow.

Which isn't to say Kumasawa isn't aware of what's going on and keeping a lid on her suspicions. After all, the teacher would be the first to recognize the touch of her student. Then too, perhaps she had more than one student, and is trying to figure out which one is the killer. Impossible to say with any certainty.
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 00:51   Link #10704
Judoh
Mystery buff

It almost sounds like your saying you think Kumasawa could be the detective!

That really sounds like the plot to a Kung fu movie. Where one student betrays the teacher and kills him and the other student goes out for revenge. There's more to being a teacher than just the magic aspect. Maybe she taught some people martial arts? Wow I'm totally looking at her different now! Maybe it's not martial arts, but what exactly is she teaching and why?
Old 2010-05-27, 01:04   Link #10705
imaginari
Purupurupiko-Man

Location: My beloved hometown, the mackerel river running through it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
My impression of Kumasawa is more that she may be indirectly responsible for equipping the actual culprit with the skills, penchant for theatrics and trickery, and legends necessary to craft a mystical sheen over their actions. I just don't know if I can really buy that she's directly involved, especially if Virgilia's characterization is supposed to reflect on her somehow.
Right now, Virgilia is almost the only thing that is stopping me from placing Kumasawa on the killer's team. She probably knows something about what is going on.
imaginari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 03:10   Link #10706
Verg Avesta
Endless Turnless

Sorry to interrupt this conversation that was now going on, but just had to ask something. Apparently, there's an extra TIPS floating around that describes some events that happened before the actual Umineko, where Jessica summons Furfur and Zepar from Kinzo's old grimoire to get a good present for Natsuhi. Can anyone elaborate a little what's that all about?
Old 2010-05-27, 03:14   Link #10707
ameskitty
Kupo

Looking in the usual places, that must be this: http://umineco.info/?el%20Dorado%E9%...86%8A%E5%AD%90

Maybe somebody will translate it (I might look at it if I can stop staying up until insane hours compiling pointless code...)

EDIT: CUTE :3. And potentially interesting for a few things, so I'll see if I can't get a rough TL by tomorrow and put it in the appropriate thread.

Avatar adapted from Yoshitaka Amano art

"There is no such thing as a sexy George." - Rhiannon, Easy A

Last edited by ameskitty; 2010-05-27 at 03:38.
ameskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 03:19   Link #10708
Judoh
Mystery buff

Why is the TIP titled El Dorado?
Old 2010-05-27, 03:39   Link #10709
ameskitty
Kupo

I'm pretty sure that's the event where it was shared, not the actual title. The actual title is "Jessica's Mother's Day Present".

Old 2010-05-27, 07:55   Link #10710
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
That really sounds like the plot to a Kung fu movie. Where one student betrays the teacher and kills him and the other student goes out for revenge. There's more to being a teacher than just the magic aspect. Maybe she taught some people martial arts? Wow I'm totally looking at her different now! Maybe it's not martial arts, but what exactly is she teaching and why?
About that. Virgilia's magic, when described in the battle between Virgilia and Beatrice, heavily relies on Norse mythology, and pretty much anything that Virgilia summons is a Norse myth except the Tower of Babel, as I have mentioned previously. I thought that Beatrice's magic was of a completely unclear provenance until I stumbled on this when looking up chess stuff for unrelated reasons:

Quote:
Caïssa originated in a 658-line poem called "Scacchia, Ludus" published in 1527 by Hieronymus Vida (Marco Girolamo Vida), which describes in Latin Virgilian hexameters a chess game between Apollo and Mercury in the presence of the other gods. In it, to avoid unclassical references, the rooks are described as towers (armored howdahs) on elephants' backs, and the bishops as archers...
Basically, the imagery Beatrice uses does not just have a vaguely Greek feel to it but literally seems to originate in this poem, a medieval faux-classical piece about chess that created the goddess of chess Caissa, previously nonexistent.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 09:18   Link #10711
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

There's also a TIP with Sakutarou called さくたろう、煉獄山へ

It pretty much confirms what Ange saw at the futon store (well, the anime confirmed it anyway...)
Old 2010-05-27, 09:24   Link #10712
eyewing

hey guys i just found out something. did you know zepar's name is rapez backwards?
eyewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 09:48   Link #10713
ameskitty
Kupo

Ah, I thought I saw another one that I didn't recognize . *reads*

(here's the link for those curious: http://umineco.info/?%E3%81%B2%E3%81...86%8A%E5%AD%90)

Hmm, the whole thing with an adorable stuffed lion walking through fearsome purgatory is kind of...dissonant. It's interesting imagery, but very dissonant. (Can stuffed animals make GAR faces? Because that's what I kept imagining XD.)

But mostly, yeah, it was a blown-up and kind of sympathetic confirmation of what most noticed in the anime. Poor Sakutarou .

Old 2010-05-27, 10:23   Link #10714
Lemon Ice

Quote:
@ErenselTheJester: 0 might have a meaning in hebrew. They have a letter for "silence" in their alphabet
Which letter is that?
Lemon Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 12:32   Link #10715
Judoh
Mystery buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Ice View Post
Which letter is that?
The very first letter Aleph. It's a silent consonant.
Old 2010-05-27, 13:58   Link #10716
Lemon Ice

Quote:
The very first letter Aleph. It's a silent consonant.
Oh, but I wouldn't call it a letter for "silence" o.o I thought you were talking about the word itself.

BTW, Did you guys know there are missiles called "Lambda 4"? Kihihi. Now we know what killed everyone!
Lemon Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 18:02   Link #10717
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginari View Post
Right now, Virgilia is almost the only thing that is stopping me from placing Kumasawa on the killer's team. She probably knows something about what is going on.
Genji and Kumasawa are both inherently suspicious characters whose connections to Ronove and Virgilia make me seriously doubt the suspicions. But I honestly can't figure out what they are up to.
Old 2010-05-27, 18:11   Link #10718
NarkNarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renall View Post
Genji and Kumasawa are both inherently suspicious characters whose connections to Ronove and Virgilia make me seriously doubt the suspicions. But I honestly can't figure out what they are up to.
Clearly their doing it for the Lolz.

Seriously though the way the characters are so suspicious and there meta-world counterparts oppose yet assist Battler makes you wonder what the heck is going on.

Maybe they want Battler to help/stop the culprit but are both comitted to assist him/her/it.

A Question, in Episode 2,3,4 can meta-battler influence his piece? I kinda confused
NarkNarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 18:22   Link #10719
Oliver
Back off, I'm a scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarkNarks View Post
A Question, in Episode 2,3,4 can meta-battler influence his piece? I kinda confused
He says he's 'not responsible for his own conduct'.

I'd say he probably can, but it has somehow flown over his head that he's allowed to use meta-information on the board within certain reasonable limits (like Erika does) and that it would be a good idea. He prefers to remain as passive as possible instead, never even trying to interrogate anyone.

This link has been determined hazardous for the spoiler averse
by the Department of Education.
(updated 2010-08-24)
Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-27, 19:05   Link #10720
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Piece-Battler's train of thought clearly seems to mirror Meta-Battler's at times. Sometimes he'll stumble upon a new line of reasoning because Meta-Battler was doing so. That seems to be the extent of their connection in ep1-4.

What Piece-Battler's been up to in 5 and 6 though is anyone's guess. In 5 it's implied Bern played with him more directly to solve the epitaph, and in 6... well, Battler's behavior is very odd there, but everyone's behavior on the board is odd there.