AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2003-12-05, 20:03   Link #1
Hillsy_
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to Hillsy_ Send a message via AIM to Hillsy_ Send a message via MSN to Hillsy_
Evangelion Manga

Hiya Everyone,
I'm new here so please go easy on me!! I would like to know if the Evangelion manga will ever be finished. I have collected all the comics from Book 1 to book 7. Does anybody know if they will continue to Book 8? I am talking about the English translation ones done by Viz comics? I can't seem to get any information!!

Arigatou gozaimasu!!
Hillsy-san.
Old 2003-12-06, 03:34   Link #2
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

I don't follow the EVA manga. But I saw it on the new comics rack at Kinokuniya on my last visit (like a month ago... maybe a bit longer), so I'm pretty sure it's still going in Japan. And unless they say otherwise, Viz is probably planning on releasing more... granted, since it's Viz we're talking about, the timeline is always unpredictable.
Old 2003-12-17, 13:17   Link #3
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

Yes its still being continued (at the authors pace). There's actually a second EVA manga series starting up based on the old Dreamcast EVA themed "Girlfriend Simulator" games. I'll post again if I find more info.
Old 2004-08-16, 08:20   Link #4
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Evangelion Manga

Anyone else read the manga? I'm quite interested in how it's proceeding. It's showing a lot more of the characters than they did in the anime.

Spoiler:

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2004-08-16, 13:54   Link #5
stpehen
kisses for all

I would say the manga is solidly entertaining, but not brilliant in the way that Anno's anime series was. The lethargic pace is a con. Apparently it's close to being wrapped up, but I haven't read v9 yet.
Old 2004-08-16, 14:03   Link #6
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsy_
Hiya Everyone,
I'm new here so please go easy on me!! I would like to know if the Evangelion manga will ever be finished. I have collected all the comics from Book 1 to book 7. Does anybody know if they will continue to Book 8? I am talking about the English translation ones done by Viz comics? I can't seem to get any information!!

Arigatou gozaimasu!!
Hillsy-san.
The manga has been ongoing since about late '96. The manga is published as a monthly serial meaning that there is only a volume published once a year. It has nothing to do with Viz being slow, rather they've caught up to the original manga and now must wait for additional volumes to be published in Japan.

This is why they also print the monthly's and sell them.
Old 2004-08-16, 17:40   Link #7
arias

Actually, the series has been released up to volume 8 in mandarin AND volume 9 has just been released in Japanese. My brother spotted in Kinokuniya Singapore, an imported version of Vol 9 is available.

And yes, the series is being released at the author's pace. If I recall correctly, the gap between book 5 and 6 was 3 years.
Old 2004-08-16, 20:43   Link #8
Yebyosh
冤枉的小狗

Actually Volume 9 is already out pretty much 4 months ago, the Chinese version came out like 1-2 months back. (We are talking about the volume with the Kaoru & Asuka cover, with the Japanese volume actually available with a Rei figurine right?)

Vol 9 was quite nice. The mangaka (who was the character designer for Evangelion) expanded the background of Asuka greatly. You'll learn more about her relationships with her mother and it is way more darker than what the TV series portrayed.

The Evangelion manga is turning out to be a good product as well.
Old 2004-08-16, 20:50   Link #9
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yebyosh
Actually Volume 9 is already out pretty much 4 months ago, the Chinese version came out like 1-2 months back. (We are talking about the volume with the Kaoru & Asuka cover, with the Japanese volume actually available with a Rei figurine right?)

Vol 9 was quite nice. The mangaka (who was the character designer for Evangelion) expanded the background of Asuka greatly. You'll learn more about her relationships with her mother and it is way more darker than what the TV series portrayed.

The Evangelion manga is turning out to be a good product as well.

Oh.. crap. Then he's right. I heard my piece of news from my brother months ago.

Now I REALLY want to read it. -_-;
Old 2004-08-16, 22:42   Link #10
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Ah...I remember that 3 year waiting period well -_- I was wondering if the mangaka had given up on the manga.

The manga seems to be taking a more pro shinji/rei stance than the anime ever did though.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
Old 2004-12-11, 20:57   Link #11
Ambience Blue
Fate/Stay Delight

I've started on the manga, and though I only have the first three volumes, it's coming around nicely. I guess the manga does a good job of tying loose ends together
Spoiler:
but I think that there are too many goofy parts to it, and many of the characters aren't taken seriously enough. Having seen the anime first definitely helps since recurring themes like Shinji's mother come so powerfully now. My overall impression is that it's a mixed grab bag. Some parts came out chillingly well (much better than the anime) while others
Spoiler:
were a lot less convincing.
Old 2004-12-12, 00:14   Link #12
aldw

I currently have volume 4-8, and this thing kicks ass.
Old 2004-12-12, 09:30   Link #13
JokerD

Yea, I remember the 3 year wait as well. Was pretty upset when a new vol came out when I don't have access to my supplier. The current volume is the red one with Asuka on the cover. Can't remember the volume number off-hand and I can't check since my room is a mess right now. I guess Viz will release the volumes soon enough.

What I hear is that the author is doing this as a sort of a side project kinda thing, which would explain the long waiting times between volumes. He still has his day job at the anime studio I guess, but don't quote me on this.

What I like about this is that it expands a lot on the character's past. I thought that Kaji's pass was a pretty nice touch and it ties up a lot of loose ends as well. A lot of details that I guess was cut out from the 30min TV shows. Oh yea, it's a lot less dark as compared to the anime.
Old 2004-12-12, 10:35   Link #14
arias

JokerD is right; it's quite a side-project thing but it's also a *massive* side project. The rumor is that the artist Yoshiyuki Sadamoto, who is the character designer for the Evangelion anime (and other Gainax anime like Nadia - Secret of Blue Water), disagreed with Hideaki Anno on how EVA should have played out. Hence; the difference between the manga and the anime. Some characters who live in the anime, die in the manga, and vice versa. Since the artist will be continually engaged in projects, which I'm guessing are stuff such as EVA artbooks or character designs for upcoming animes, he's working on EVA manga on a snail's pace. Literally. It's not as much less "dark" than the anime, then less "psychotic" .

Well.. I enjoyed reading it, and let me tell you; the recent EVA book covers are some of the most beautiful artwork in the manga scene.
Old 2004-12-12, 15:31   Link #15
Cornel

I have volume 1-4, and though I haven't seen the anime, it is good and on par with the animation of the anime. Just to note, I didn't really like some of the crappy animations that I saw in the series.
Old 2006-02-06, 17:21   Link #16
stonedzombie
またね

Send a message via AIM to stonedzombie
since the manga is over now, can someone tell me if the ending of the manga took the ending of the series or the "EOE" movie?
Old 2006-02-06, 19:05   Link #17
dfens

Um the manga isn't over it just stopped at volume 9 at the battle with the 16th angel so it gives you an idea where the story is at with the anime, and is being released in small chapters when ever of about 15-20 pages at a time. Once their is enough pages volume 10 which looks like the final volume will finish the manga series. It might go as high as volume 11 but who knows if it does that should be the last anything after that would be streching the story too thin.

But if 10 is the final it's going to be a long time before it comes out.
Old 2006-02-08, 20:25   Link #18
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
The wait for volume 10 is just killing me. The manga is just so much better than the anime, imo.
Old 2006-02-08, 21:15   Link #19
Crimen Scythe
Daemon Mortis

Send a message via ICQ to Crimen Scythe Send a message via AIM to Crimen Scythe Send a message via MSN to Crimen Scythe
yup..there's a theory that the manga might have a completely different ending than the anime...it's quite possible...and i hope the manga finishes before the next 5 years...
Old 2006-02-08, 22:49   Link #20
Shinji103
Crazy Devout Fanboy

Location: 1st Ra Cailum-class battleship Ra Cailum, port-side officer's bunks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimen Scythe
yup..there's a theory that the manga might have a completely different ending than the anime...it's quite possible...
Sweet!

Quote:
and i hope the manga finishes before the next 5 years...