AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Midori no Hibi

Notices

Old 2004-03-17, 21:52   Link #21
mirichan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
At least you don't have to worry about a lot of panty-shots since Midori doesn't wear panties.
ROFL...

One of those friends was asking tonight "what about bathroom jokes... I'm sure there must be lots of" and my reply was "Nope. She eliminates through the fact her body merges into his arm"

I think if I could have seen her face, she probably raised both eyebrows at that remark...
mirichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 22:56   Link #22
Yamano667
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Yamano667
well midori might be naked ^_-
Yamano667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-17, 23:22   Link #23
naantje
Annoyance :)

ok.. i consider myself to be quite open to new ideas n stuff... but the girl is his right hand... gimme a break rofl... this shit better be better then good cuz thats the only way i can handle the hole hand/girl thing

" I came up with the idea while smoking alotta Pot" - Pablo Fransisco :d;d;D:d:
naantje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 01:02   Link #24
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamano667
well midori might be naked ^_-
They are pretty careful to keep her covered up with his sleeve.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 03:44   Link #25
Secca
nya`
*Artist

The first time I read the manga, I tought to myself, "oh my god, this is the stupidest concept for a story."

But as I read more and more chapter, I find it surprisingly interesting. And now everytime a new chapter out, I goes "yay another Midori no Hibi chapter, must read."

I've been following Midori no Hibi manga for a while. Not sure what to expect from the anime. Have to wait till April. ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 03:51   Link #26
bluemist
i am the mist

Yes I got that thought too before I got hooked. I managed to eat up all those manga scanslations in a day! Still craving for more....
bluemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 08:04   Link #27
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Hmm, got to find me the manga too.

When I first saw the picture on the website, I thought Midori was just a doll.
Which made me conclude this series could be kind of dull. But now that I've
seen the promo... great premise (well, at least a very interesting one). I'll definately
check out the anime now.

Still [and these are comments from someone who has just seen the promo and
not read the manga yet] there could be plenty of room for bathroom jokes. What
for example if the guy (forgot his name) needs to go to the toilet? Or take a shower?

Anyway... of to find the manga to find out
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 09:34   Link #28
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro
Hmm, got to find me the manga too.
Midori no Hibi manga at:

www.snoopycool.com
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 10:12   Link #29
mirichan

Quote:
Still [and these are comments from someone who has just seen the promo and not read the manga yet] there could be plenty of room for bathroom jokes. What for example if the guy (forgot his name) needs to go to the toilet? Or take a shower?
He goes... she closes her eyes

In the manga, this situation has been ongoing for months now so of course they shower and he needs to go, etc...

But we know they don't look at each other and closes their eyes AND more importantly, we don't see it either... Once someone gets over the far-out concept, it's actually pretty nice a story because it's seeing the characters' evolution that is a lot more important than just "oh, he's got a girl as his right hand".
mirichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 15:08   Link #30
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
OK i just watched the promo to this, and I am very sceptical even though people seem to like the manga alot. When I finally figured out that The lil girl wasnt some tini midget he was holding in his hand, but actually part of his arm all i could think was WTF? and . I mean it is his right hand how does he do anything is he left handed? Some things need two hands to do.

I dont know. This concept still seems kinda iffy to me. IMO it woulda been better if she was something like Kotoko from Chobits. *I like how skeptical she is ^^* I will follow this anime though and hopefully I will find it entertaining.
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 16:02   Link #31
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiL Eighty
I mean it is his right hand how does he do anything is he left handed? Some things need two hands to do.
He's right-handed, but he manages. Somehow.

I think that the premise is unique, but would have gotten old very fast if it weren't for the supporting cast. The mad scientist (and his daughter), the puppet otaku, Midori's classmate... When I read the chapters introducing them, any fears that this was anything but a light-hearted comedy were shattered. (This is a good thing.)

And let me join in the chorus of gratitude to Snoopycool for translating the manga.
dkellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-18, 16:11   Link #32
brightman
Ancient Member

Yeah, Midori is not totally useless you know... Having her as a right hand might be even better than having a regular right hand in terms of being able to do stuff...

And yes, the manga is hilarious, especially the supporting cast. I guess some people might get disappointed by the episodic approach but it really doesn't detract from this at all.
Old 2004-03-19, 01:20   Link #33
snoopy
SnoopyCool.com

They have yet to explicitly tell us in the manga, but it is infered that Seiji hasn't successfully masturbated in over 4 months. Midori's far too clean a person to allow such things and Seiji obviously can't get away from her (there was that one time, but he still ended up failing to achieve enlightenment, if you will recall).

Back to the actual discussion. I know all too well that it is too early to judge the series. I'm going to watch it just like everyone else. But you see, ever since the ad in Sonen Sunday announcing it in December, I've had misgivings about it festering in the back of my mind like "what if they don't get the reactions right..." or "What if they change it to make it more ecchi (as if the current trend in shows for young men)..." and seeing the promo made that visual question pop right into the forefront of my thought patterns as "oh holy hell, they screwed it up". And of course, I needed to say something about it. And talking about it at the SC forums is like talking to yes men at some big company or something.

And this story is incredibly stupid. It being great doesn't take away from the stupidity. Having a chick that's obsessivly in love with you on your right hand will never not be obscenely stupid.
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 02:19   Link #34
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightman
Yeah, Midori is not totally useless you know... Having her as a right hand might be even better than having a regular right hand in terms of being able to do stuff...

And yes, the manga is hilarious, especially the supporting cast. I guess some people might get disappointed by the episodic approach but it really doesn't detract from this at all.
I'm wondering how many masturbation jokes will occur in threads about this series? I mean c'mon, you just can't avoid them

I've heard of having your hand as your only date but...

BTW, what happens if the kid has to go swimming for gym or something? Wouldn't the girl on his hand drown?
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 02:54   Link #35
Za Paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
I'm wondering how many masturbation jokes will occur in threads about this series? I mean c'mon, you just can't avoid them

I've heard of having your hand as your only date but...

BTW, what happens if the kid has to go swimming for gym or something? Wouldn't the girl on his hand drown?
Uhh.. first of all he has a girl on his hand. Any sense of realism has already gone out the window.
Za Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 04:26   Link #36
Secca
nya`
*Artist

What will you do if you have a girl attached on your right hand? ^^
Secca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 05:06   Link #37
Tellu54
Banned

If it were one as annoying as the girl in Midori no Hibi... I've got only two words:
Evil Dead.
Tellu54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 05:56   Link #38
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_nevels666
Midori no Hibi manga at:

www.snoopycool.com
Yeah, thanks, but I found out myself in about 5 minutes. Of course I would
have found it in 1 second if I had actually bothered to read the first page of
this thread (Doh!). Anyway... thanks again snoopy!

As for how much less good the anime will be compared to the manga: I don't know.
IMHO, based on statistics, I think there is more anime where the manga is better
than manga where the anime is better (supposedly Chobits, but I've not completed
either the manga or the anime of Chobits yet, also the comment I read may only
extend itself to the ending of both, not the "whole ride").
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 07:30   Link #39
a_nevels666

Quote:
Yeah, thanks, but I found out myself in about 5 minutes. Of course I would
have found it in 1 second if I had actually bothered to read the first page of
this thread (Doh!). Anyway... thanks again snoopy!

As for how much less good the anime will be compared to the manga: I don't know.
IMHO, based on statistics, I think there is more anime where the manga is better
than manga where the anime is better (supposedly Chobits, but I've not completed
either the manga or the anime of Chobits yet, also the comment I read may only
extend itself to the ending of both, not the "whole ride").
I thought many chobits fans considered the manga better, because of the filler in the anime, I could be wrong though.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-20, 13:22   Link #40
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyByNite
Yeah they deal with getting out of gym and how to go swimming in the manga, so probably in the anime too. (She would drown.)
jennwenn is offline   Reply With Quote