AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-15, 07:02   Link #61
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
But you know, thinking it over now, Blackbeard probably knew about Ace's lineage all along. It's really no wonder that he instantly became a Shichibukai after handing Ace over to the marines instead of Luffy. It's like losing a dollar and finding $100 in its place, no?
I seriously doubt Blackbeard knew who Ace really was...
Wouldn't make sense how he would know..
We don't even know if Whitebeard knows...
So far the only people who seemed to know is Garp, Sengoku, and himself...
Everybody else like Shanks, Rayleigh, Whitebeard, and so are just speculation until its revealed in the Chapter...
Blackbeard instantly became a Shichibukai because of two reasons... Ace was widely known and they were desperate to fill Crocodile's position

Quote:
By the way, a script for the chapter came out. It actually starts out with people all over the world talking about the execution. Of course, there are some who are asking about Whitebeard (interestingly enough, there are some people who think that his age may have caught up with him.....). Also, before Sengoku makes his speech, he tells Garp that he was going to reveal everything to the crowd, but the vice-admiral didn't seem to mind at all......
Well this crushes my other theory...
I was beginning to think maybe they were saying that Ace was Roger's son...
To cover up the fact that a Marine Hero has 2 grandson's that are notorious pirates...
Oh well

Quote:
And now, about the history of Ace's birth: Sengoku says that the marines have actually been searching for him for quite a long time. The only hints they had came from reports from some Cipher Pol agents that had reported his birth, but they still had trouble locating the infant Ace and his mother. The reason for thati s because Portgas D. Rouge managed to trick the marines by keeping her baby in her belly for 20 months, out of sheer willpower. But eventually, Ace was born in Batelira, an island in South Blue, one year and 3 months after Gold Roger's death.....
I want to know more about it too...
I doubt she did all on her own though...
I mean if she did then WHEW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
damn, haki really can do everything....
lol!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by AddiKtioNn-BlaCk; 2009-07-15 at 07:12.
Old 2009-07-15, 08:56   Link #62
Rurik
Golden

I don't know about you guys, but this revelation about Ace seems forced and something that Oda came up just recently.
Old 2009-07-15, 11:07   Link #63
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
I don't know about you guys, but this revelation about Ace seems forced and something that Oda came up just recently.
Well, as so long as it is revealed that Shanks knows of Ace's heritage (which could be confirmed or not some time in the next chapter), then the earlier meeting between Shanks and Whitebeard over Ace's assignment seems like more than sufficient foreshadowing for this recent reveal.
Old 2009-07-15, 11:16   Link #64
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
Actually, as so long as it is revealed that Shanks knows of Ace's heritage (which could be confirmed or not some time in the next chapter), then the earlier meeting between Shanks and Whitebeard over Ace's assignment seems like more than sufficient foreshadowing for this recent reveal.
Disagree, anything that is shown to us as part of presenting past events that should had been hinting that Ace is really Gold D Roger son, even do he was born 2 year after Roger’s death (which is really the problem with the revelation), is just the author using existing ambiguous information and giving them a meaning.

In other words, anything that the author explains to us regarding the plot at hand from this point on, is just to try and justify the information revealed now.

I’m not bothered by the revelation itself, I’m just noting that it seems forced to me
Old 2009-07-15, 12:31   Link #65
james0246

Quote:
Disagree, anything that is shown to us as part of presenting past events that should had been hinting that Ace is really Gold D Roger son, even do he was born 2 year after Roger’s death (which is really the problem with the revelation), is just the author using existing ambiguous information and giving them a meaning.
Oh, I don't disagree that the 20 months thing is a bit silly, it would have been more realistic to say that Ace was 21 and he just hid his age (realistically, he is 21 or so, just because he was kept in the womb far longer than he should have, doesn't mean that the baby didn't mature (if the baby didn't mature, then,well, Ace is probably mentally challenged...).

That being said, the original interpretation of the Shanks/Whitebeard discussion, was based more on Shank's fear of Blackbeard. Now with the recent revelations, though, the scene takes on added defintion, and must be seen in a new light.

That being said, I agree that the scene is not an obvious foreshadowing. There are no shadowy figures in the background, and no lines of dialogue hinting at the unknown (the infamous "I'll have to use that..." or "What if it is that person...", etc). Rather it is a scene that is called back to so as to provide context for the story, consequently, it can be seen as foreshadowing, even if far more subtle and potentially weaker than other forms.
Old 2009-07-15, 12:35   Link #66
kari-no-sugata

People have been wondering for a long time if Luffy and Ace are full brothers, half-brothers or what since it's never been made clear until now. We've never had Dragon comment on Ace (that I remember) or intervene on his behalf. Ace and Luffy have been different enough from the start that there's been the odd bit of speculation now and then.

I can't think of any real contradictions this introduces. If anything, it makes more sense than otherwise...
Old 2009-07-15, 12:56   Link #67
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Ugh, I really hate this delayed childbirth nonsense. I agree that it seems Oda just came up with this and he needed some silly way to make it fit the facts. Bad idea imo.
Old 2009-07-15, 15:17   Link #68
andy

I don't think Oda just came up with it there are a lot of ways Oda could have done it . People just fell the should have know before hand or some type of foreshadowing . It is a plot twist that just came out of now where .

Hell Oda could have just change Ace age or just said they hide him for year , hell he could have just said she use a DF to delay the birth .

But then this could all fit in with the will of D . Who knows ,this does not really bother me hell if in stars war a baby can be born because of the force . Then i don't see how in OP a woman adding 6 to 8 extra months is big deal (plus she die after child birth) . Where there's a who bunch of crazy stuff.

I guess some people feel OP should not change how long a woman can hold a child in her womb.
Old 2009-07-15, 16:07   Link #69
marvelB

Yeah, I guess I can see how the plot twist with Ace may seem contrived, what with the delayed childbirth business and all.... but I still have the feeling that this was something that Oda planned well in advance. Besides, Rouge can get away with an insane stunt like that since she's a D, and they've all been known to nothing but the impossoble, right?

Anyways, a few more pics came out, but they're quite blurry. One of them shows the Usopp ministory (which involves him partying with Hercules, as was mentioned the summary), another has the silhouette of Rouge (again, it's a bit hard to judge from the blurry pic, but her hair seems.... kinda puffy). Another pic shows the 5 Shichibukai all gathered together. Hancock seems to be wearing a new outfit, and Moria is looking particularly badass. Heh, rather unfortunate thatt he last 2 guys decided to betray the government at the last minute......
Old 2009-07-15, 16:19   Link #70
Charred Knight

Quote:
I agree, Oda's plot points are usually like Hiromu Arakawa shocking, but when you look back they make perfect sense, and you can see where the author set it up.

This? Looks like he came up with it last week.

It makes no sense (a delayed birth is just stupid), it brings nothing new to the plot (does it matter which famous criminal Ace is the son of).

If Oda wants to copy someone's style could I suggest he doesn't use Kubo Tite.
Old 2009-07-15, 16:31   Link #71
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Another pic shows the 5 Shichibukai all gathered together. Hancock seems to be wearing a new outfit, and Moria is looking particularly badass. Heh, rather unfortunate thatt he last 2 guys decided to betray the government at the last minute......
Moria looks like a freaking monster who's ready to tear someone apart. I love it . He's sure to mess up a lot of Whitebeard's men with his doppleman trickery. Also, I think that Hancock's outfit is the same, it's just that this time she has no sleeves on her arms. She looks like she means business . I so pictured Mihawk standing straight with his arms crossed, so the way he appeared came off as no surprise to me. We also got a relative indication as to how tall Doflamingo is in comparison to Mihawk. Even with his legs being bent all the time, he's pretty damn tall (maybe around the same height as an admiral). And of course, Vintage Kuma with his Bible in his hand, appearing all calm at first only to become a nightmare for whoever gets in his way. Seriously, when you look at this group, you don't want to f*** with them .
Old 2009-07-15, 17:06   Link #72
marvelB

By the way, I just realized that this new twist is going to shoot up Buggy's reputation to an even MORE ludicrous level when this storyline is over. His followers were already amazed by the fact that he was an apprentice on Roger's crew, so when they find out that he's friends with the late pirate king's son, they'll probably start worshipping him like a GOD or something. Oh, poor Buggy is going to have a hell of a hard time locating Captain John's treasure from this point on.....
Old 2009-07-15, 17:18   Link #73
AddiKtioNn-BlaCk
Is Your Daddy & Its True

Quote:
Yeah, I guess I can see how the plot twist with Ace may seem contrived, what with the delayed childbirth business and all.... but I still have the feeling that this was something that Oda planned well in advance. Besides, Rouge can get away with an insane stunt like that since she's a D, and they've all been known to nothing but the impossoble, right?
Yeah I'm with you on that one.
I don't think Oda came outta blue with Ace being Roger's son...
I've seen some ridiculous ass plots (Kubo and Kishi)
And Ace being Roger's son doesn't really come off to be stupid...
and Like you said... maybe it has something to do with the Will of D...
Being as though we don't too much about it...
That pretty much gives Oda a pass...
Old 2009-07-15, 17:28   Link #74
kakakka

So 20 month pregnancy. Wow. I guess this is the reason for break last week? I mean they might have talked if it's ok to put this info in the manga...I think I'll wait for the eng one (tomorrow?) This info have a hard time sinking with me.

Though Boa's appearance is quite good to know.
Old 2009-07-15, 19:44   Link #75
Phenomenal
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Phenomenal
Quote:
All plot twists don't have to be foreshadowed and can come at a complete shock.
But it still was a weak plot twist though..It's just basically more simple development on Ace and it seems like half of the chap was wasted on it....Still three hours to go, hopefully we get more progression next week..

And I'm just loling at the people whining about the 20 month pregnancy gig, this is manga, it isn't suppose to make sense, if that were the case Zoro shouldn't be talking so clearly with a sword in his mouth.
Old 2009-07-15, 20:03   Link #76
cloak_and_dagger
Hei aka Li Xiansheng
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenomenal View Post
And I'm just loling at the people whining about the 20 month pregnancy gig, this is manga, it isn't suppose to make sense, if that were the case Zoro shouldn't be talking so clearly with a sword in his mouth.
rofllllllllllllllllll
so true, so true.....

This is the first time Oda has made a noteworthy mistake; OP stills reigns at the top of the big 3 mangas in terms of the plot having very little plotholes.
Old 2009-07-15, 20:21   Link #77
MasterSpoiler

Need I just say this: It was clear there was something wrong with Ace follow these simple known facts, and you'll work out why.

1.) We know his former apparent father (Monkey D. Dragon) chose Luffy over Ace. (Common sense says that: There is something obviously about Dragon and Ace that doesn't add up.)

2.) We all know that Ace's mother never had the "Monkey" name it was portgas. (Which already lead up to more speculation.)

3.) We assumed because of Ace, simply being a brother and being a hothead like Luffy they were related. When truth is Garp, took Ace from Roger. Garp also raised Luffy bringing a possibility to similar personalities.

4.) We knew Dragon, wasn't that keen on Ace, however neither was Garp. (Which also shows us that maybe; because he dislikes pirates. Him homing the son of Gold D. Roger was only as a death wish.)

I can go on and on, about how this isn't that surprising. But he fact is - we all knew something like this was going to come, we just didn't expect it to come during his execution.
For those that say Oda Eiichiro came up with this on the spot. If you really look back, it doesn't seem that way at all. Just normal Manga's nowadays have predictable plot-twists. Like Rave, where their main charecter died. In Naruto, when Pain killed himself, and someone that tried to kill him, and is pretty evil is now Hokage. You may see it as bad, but I think a totally out of the blue unpredicted plot-twist like this. Which when we look back, does add up. Is exactly what One Piece needed.

Last edited by MasterSpoiler; 2009-07-15 at 20:33.
Old 2009-07-15, 21:02   Link #78
marvelB

Heh, funny that the subject of Zoro talking clearly with a sword in his mouth was brought up, because Oda actually addressed that issue in an old SBS. He simply says that Zoro's spirit allows him to talk clearly (ZOMGHAKI!). But yeah, minor stuff like that doesn't really bother me since it's fiction. And heck, one of my favorite manga series is Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and that series is filled with nonsensical powers and plot holes (so many plot holes in fact, that the series literally resets itself at the end of part 6....). Compared to that, mama Portgas' abnormally long pregnancy is nothing, IMO.....
Old 2009-07-15, 21:19   Link #79
Crusader

Send a message via MSN to Crusader
Wow The Shichibukai look like a force to be reckoned with especially Moria and Hancock! Of course we know Mihawk is a beast
Old 2009-07-15, 21:47   Link #80
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
Quote:
Just normal Manga's nowadays have predictable plot-twists.
You forgot Bleach.

ZOMG VIZARD!!! We SO didn't see THAT one coming...