AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-04-01, 13:04   Link #261
coldzero

Why?
Gundam Wing is thee reason I started watching anime, but for the longest time I just fan-crazed over Wing which air in my local channel. I always found it amusing how I didn't get into watching other anime till a good few years later.

True to the fact that I have only saw Wing, GS, GSD and Unicorn as it slowly comes out because I have never been hook to 00 after watching a first few episodes, but still Wing is my all time favourite anime for a few reasons. What makes me love an anime is good storyline, I don't watch just for the action and gundams killing each other off like many other people seem to do. I do like mecha genre the most.

Some one mention subtly here, I totally agree with that. Wing is brilliant if you can see through all the well planned and intricate ideas all woven in, you can almost write an essay about the whole plot and pacifism ideals which I like. The bottom line was pacifism here on the basis of politics and war intrigue, I think the creators achieved their goal better than the other Gundam series which also focuses on 'peace' or say they claim as one of the main points. This ranges from characters (big on character actually), and the previous kingdoms to the colony, and above all the citizens which they do convey more than other Gundam series which leans towards more on the main characters and the gundam themselves and action (how Heero fights for the people). The fact that the main pilots wasn't from some noble family or family who are head owners of organization, but regular people who past circumstances brought them fighting also links. This doesn't exclude Quatre bc he was from a millionaire family, but his father detest war. There are tons of symbolism here, scatter throughout the anime. I think its one of the main reasons what make me love it, and everything just links together. Just goes from all the characters labelled as numbers to using the zodiacs to naming the mecha and organization that weren't the main five gundam. Overall, I think the anime is well-rounded and I would argue for those who think the plot sucked!

There also Relena, not caring for haters, but Relena is an awesome character, and Heero- those two are a dynamic duo themselves! Yes, I ship the HxR though i did found the Relena chasing Heero before a bit juvenile and was glad she grew out of it!

The anime have deep characterization that really drew me as a viewer, and it took me a couple of years to finally read Episode Zero but when I did, I thought it was perfect in explaining each characters past that it just give off the final touches of what I already thought of Wing. It ties in perfectly. (and that it wasn't coincidental that Heero and Relena just can't avoid each other :P and makes it less weird how they have this strange attachment). Out of the supporting manga, Episode 0 ranks the best out of all of them.

I thought the anime was awesome back then, re-watching it now-a-days, i guess i wished there was a remake with modern animation would be cool.
Old 2012-04-10, 17:18   Link #262
atilim
Knightmare

My guess is that it was because Wing is most likley the first Gundam show that people watched.

I also liked Gundam Wing at the start but I had some major issues with the characters and the plot.

First I hated , most of the, main characters constantly saying ''I will kill you'' and they never really tried to kill each other.
Second the whole pacifism BS made me sick and it totally came out of nowhere
Finally it has some really cheesy dialog

Granted my dislike came after I started watching Seed and Zeta Gundam.
atilim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 16:41   Link #263
Zulu Keita

Wing is popular mainly to the North American audiences, In Europe and Asia, its nearly not as popular as other Gundam Shows. I can understand it though as it give a pretty good insight of what Gundam Anime is all about. Im not the biggest Wing fan myself because of reasons brought up by atilim.

I still like it a lot though, its just not among my favorite gundam anime.
Zulu Keita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 16:46   Link #264
Appel

"everyone"? i dont! :B
well ok, that would be a little harsh. its an ok gundam show but definitely not my favorite. i didnt like the plot, i didnt like the main characters but at least the mecha design was pretty nifty.

and i agree, i think most people like it because it was their first gundam show ever and many probably started watching anime because of it.
Appel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 17:07   Link #265
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Heero X Relena. I find Relena always chasing Heero and how it makes him confuse is definitely cute !!!

..and also the myth circulating that you have to die if you see a Gundam. That really freaks any soldier who sees a Gundam. Gundams are portrait as death bringers to point as if they were indestructable.
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-06, 17:13   Link #266
Zulu Keita

cute? Well.... its okay
Old 2012-05-06, 17:13   Link #267
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Dear lord, this thread is still going?

I don't see why people can't just let this lie and move on; this thread is just a clever way of asking "why do you like a show I don't?" when you boil this down. I mean seriously, do you really have to tell someone why you do or don't like a show? I could list every Gundam show I dislike and every one I like, but that doesn't change the fact I'd be trying to defend personal preference. There's no point to it.
Old 2012-05-06, 17:15   Link #268
Zulu Keita

Im pretty new to the forum so I just wanted to give my 2 cents...
Old 2012-05-06, 17:17   Link #269
Kuroi Hadou
Dark Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Keita View Post
Im pretty new to the forum so I just wanted to give my 2 cents...
It wasn't really directed at you, more towards the people who I know are have been around this place for a while and know how things work. Welcome to the forum, BTW.
Old 2012-05-23, 17:32   Link #270
otacu
Flag forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paininator View Post
Why is it that everyone likes Gundam Wing?
People like Gundam Wing?
otacu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 11:45   Link #271
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by otacu View Post
People like Gundam Wing?
Reasons why...
- Gundam Wing is badass.
- It's the first Gundam a lot of people were exposed to when anime started getting popular in the 1990s.
- It was on Toonami and a lot of kids and dudes hadn't seen stuff like this before on American TV.
- It's also got a different pace than UC Gundam shows and is a bit thicker on the melodrama.
- It's easier to get into 'cause its all self contained unlike the much larger, longer, and expanded UC timeline.
- Also, the protagonists are all anti-heroes and are supposed to be badasses. They're a 5 man group of hardasses waging war on an entire space navy.
- The Gundams have cool names... Deathscythe!!! Come on... that's badass.
- The Gundams have cool gimmicks and "themes." Much freakier themes than UC Gundams like Orchis and Unicorn. Gundams with capes, Gundams with dragon themes, Gundam with feathered wings!!!
- dat scene where Wing Zero fires that buster rifle and totally explodes
- it's corny... really corny at times.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 12:18   Link #272
quagmire

Quote:
Originally Posted by atilim View Post
First I hated , most of the, main characters constantly saying ''I will kill you'' and they never really tried to kill each other.
Quatre did when he went nuts piloting Wing Zero..... Tried to kill Trowa and Heero( almost killed Trowa when he saved Heero from the buster canon shot).
quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-24, 21:13   Link #273
Destined_Fate

Eh, Wing got me interested into the Mecha genre. I was just a child than and it was being aired on Toonami so I watched it after school every day.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-25, 15:50   Link #274
Kaihan
Barrel!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Eh, Wing got me interested into the Mecha genre. I was just a child than and it was being aired on Toonami so I watched it after school every day.
For me it was dash every day since it was aired close to school finish time. Like most people already said, first gundam anime I watched that got me into the mecha genre.

Current Sig
Sinanju(Poco)

Last Sig
Mimi

Kuon

Last edited by Kaihan; 2012-05-25 at 19:01. Reason: forgot reason for dashing
Kaihan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-31, 05:30   Link #275
Zulu Keita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroi Hadou View Post
It wasn't really directed at you, more towards the people who I know are have been around this place for a while and know how things work. Welcome to the forum, BTW.
Thanks, I appreciate it
Old 2012-05-31, 05:38   Link #276
Zulu Keita

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
Reasons why...
- Gundam Wing is badass.

That is true.

- It's the first Gundam a lot of people were exposed to when anime started getting popular in the 1990s.

In the United States, so your correct about that.

- It was on Toonami and a lot of kids and dudes hadn't seen stuff like this before on American TV.

True

- It's also got a different pace than UC Gundam shows and is a bit thicker on the melodrama.

Yes it is, in a good way though.

- It's easier to get into 'cause its all self contained unlike the much larger, longer, and expanded UC timeline.

I agree, its easy to get into to but hard to grasp as the story is all over the place, I feel that you need to pay a lot of attention to understand what each episode is about.

- Also, the protagonists are all anti-heroes and are supposed to be badasses. They're a 5 man group of hardasses waging war on an entire space navy.

True, it just depends if your into that.

- The Gundams have cool names... Deathscythe!!! Come on... that's badass.

Thats definetly true...altough I would say most Gundam Anime have great Gundam/Mobile Suit names

- The Gundams have cool gimmicks and "themes." Much freakier themes than UC Gundams like Orchis and Unicorn. Gundams with capes, Gundams with dragon themes, Gundam with feathered wings!!!

That is definetly unique to the Wing series and I applaud them for doing something so different with mobile suits.

- dat scene where Wing Zero fires that buster rifle and totally explodes
- it's corny... really corny at times.

Hope you didnt mind me giving my opinion on your statements, Nothing negative though, Just wanted to reply to some....Your right about WING though.