AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-01-23, 13:55   Link #1
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker [Wii U HD Remake]

Remember how Ocarina of Time was remade for the 3DS? Nintendo's doing another 3D Zelda remake and this time it's The Wind Waker on the Wii U.

Have some testing screenshots:

Spoiler for Size:

It's unknown at this time if the game will have any extra bonuses or gameplay changes from the original, but considering it's the Wii U that seems likely.

Source: http://www.siliconera.com/2013/01/23...ooks-gorgeous/
Old 2013-01-23, 14:00   Link #2
Kudryavka

No!.

But lets hope its not one of about 3 games worth buying a Wii U for, like 3DS was.

And where's my 1986 Zelda remake??? I wish they'd go a little Squeenix and lend some love to the earlier games most everyone's forgotten. T-T
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 14:02   Link #3
Kirito
Enjoying Snack Time!

Send a message via MSN to Kirito
Nice. I hope that they release Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks for console on HD, as well. Now I have a reason to buy a Wii U, time to save up.
Old 2013-01-23, 14:06   Link #4
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Well, I would hope they'd add something new and all. Better graphics would hardly be a good reason to buy it if you already own it if that's all it's adding~
Old 2013-01-23, 14:14   Link #5
Blaat

This is the only Zelda game I can't finish when I replay it, I always give up when I start sailing. So I'll pass on the HD version.
Old 2013-01-23, 15:34   Link #6
marvelB

I REALLY hope that the remake includes the dungeons that were scrapped from the original GC release. That would pretty much guarantee a purchase right there.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 15:41   Link #7
jedinat

So my first reason to want a Wii U finally rears its head...
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 16:00   Link #8
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
But lets hope its not one of about 3 games worth buying a Wii U for, like 3DS was.
This logic is silly. There's going to be plenty of games to warrant buying a new Nintendo console eventually.

Quote:
I REALLY hope that the remake includes the dungeons that were scrapped from the original GC release. That would pretty much guarantee a purchase right there.
I'd settle for a whole new optional dungeon or two, not necessarily one that was removed from the original.

Though I have a feeling since it's Wii U, the biggest change will be in game control.
Old 2013-01-23, 18:27   Link #9
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
This is the only Zelda game I can't finish when I replay it, I always give up when I start sailing. So I'll pass on the HD version.
I feel like I want to enjoy it. The world seems so fun and well made, but, yeah, the sailing and especially the triforce piece collection is just grueling. I can play through OoT, Majora's Mask, Link to the Past, and the original just fine, but have trouble sitting through anything else (including first time playthroughs of Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess). Not sure if this is due to my nostalgia goggles or if the classics are just that much better.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 18:45   Link #10
jedinat

I actually had more fun replaying Wind Waker than Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess... Loved Skyward Sword for the first few hours, then began hating it more and more--by far the worst 3D Zelda game.
Old 2013-01-23, 19:10   Link #11
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Wind Waker is my second favourite Zelda of all time, this is fantastic news. Now if they'd just release my absolute favourite to the 3DS eShop.
Old 2013-01-23, 19:18   Link #12
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
I actually had more fun replaying Wind Waker than Ocarina of Time or Twilight Princess... Loved Skyward Sword for the first few hours, then began hating it more and more--by far the worst 3D Zelda game.
Just out of curiosity may I ask why? I understand some of the problems it has but I wouldn't say it's the worst. In fact Skyward Sword is personally my second favorite Zelda after OoT. (FYI I only play the 3D games.)
Old 2013-01-23, 19:43   Link #13
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Just out of curiosity may I ask why? I understand some of the problems it has but I wouldn't say it's the worst. In fact Skyward Sword is personally my second favorite Zelda after OoT. (FYI I only play the 3D games.)
Well...
-The motion controls are generally bearable, but unnecessarily FORCED into all aspects (swimming especially) when they could be optional. Really though, the combat is fundamentally flawed in that it all comes down to one damn mini game of slicing in the correct direction. This is not interesting or fun and at worse very frustrating.
-Fi repeats instructions you were just given like the one writing her dialogue has never played the game. She has no personality. She is practically a slap in the face of everyone who made any kind of complaints about the companions before her... like "You thought that one was bad, well TAKE THIS!" lol...
-There's no clear distinction between dungeons and surrounding areas so I feel like I'm never getting a break. I LIKE the stretches of gameplay between dungeons in Zelda games.
-You revisit the same 3 areas 3 times (ugh) with no real engaging motivation to do so given to you. There really isn't any small local narrative conflict to resolve around any of the dungeons... at least not any interesting ones. The world feels pretty barren as a result.
-The sky is empty and boring.
-The narrative starts out fairly strong (at least I liked it) but then all that happens is Zelda impersonates Princess Peach three times then disappears and NOTHING happens for a long while, then you're slammed with a huge plot dump, then nothing happens for a while, then the story ends... just bad pacing and crappy storytelling.
-You fight that stupid boss with big toes THREE times.
-There's no settlements or cities or really any decent characters in the whole world outside the starting city and that inn
-I hated all 4 of the trials and the note finding was a complete joke
I'll stop there, lol...
Old 2013-01-23, 19:56   Link #14
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

It wasn't responsive, at least for me. Drove me up the damn wall, especially after claiming it was true 1:1 and forced you to use the Motion Plus. Seriously, try the Zelda mini game in Nintendo Land; THAT's how Skyward Sword should have functioned.
Old 2013-01-23, 20:40   Link #15
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
So, are they going to fix the Wii U's problems when this comes out?

That is, the STUPIDLY massive firmware update right away?

how about the hassle you have with transferring data from the Wii to the Wii U?

Until the major problems of the Wii U are fixed, I can't pick up a Wii U.

Quite simply, I don't want to get a new console, then wait for hours for it to install firmware that'll crash the system if your internet or power goes out somehow.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 20:47   Link #16
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
So, are they going to fix the Wii U's problems when this comes out?

That is, the STUPIDLY massive firmware update right away?

how about the hassle you have with transferring data from the Wii to the Wii U?

Until the major problems of the Wii U are fixed, I can't pick up a Wii U.

Quite simply, I don't want to get a new console, then wait for hours for it to install firmware that'll crash the system if your internet or power goes out somehow.
PS3 and XBOX 360 also have stupidly massive firmware updates. 360 even tossed out external hard drives eventually.

Plus, what would you need to transfer from Wii to Wii U? It's not like the Wii has directly linked games to the Wii U's lineup or anything. Internet and power issues aren't the console's fault.
Old 2013-01-23, 20:48   Link #17
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
It wasn't responsive, at least for me. Drove me up the damn wall, especially after claiming it was true 1:1 and forced you to use the Motion Plus.
The controls are perfectly responsive, they're just... very specific, I guess? You have to make slower, more gradual motions and stay calm otherwise you'll end up pointing the controller in the wrong direction in the heat of the moment and the game will get confused.
This happened to me a lot.
I understand some of the complaints about Skyward Sword but honestly I think a lot of the problems come from people trying to play it differently from how it's designed to be played.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 20:55   Link #18
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
The controls are perfectly responsive, they're just... very specific, I guess? You have to make slower, more gradual motions and stay calm otherwise you'll end up pointing the controller in the wrong direction in the heat of the moment and the game will get confused.
This happened to me a lot.
I understand some of the complaints about Skyward Sword but honestly I think a lot of the problems come from people trying to play it differently from how it's designed to be played.
Actually, to my understanding, there was a mixed number of factors in release that caused smoother playthroughs for some, whilst others suffered. I definitely understand the concepts of infrared motion and to make cautious/calm movements, but my copy along with several others I knew caused some serious game breaking problems.

Not saying I trust game review sites, but IGN gave the game a 10/10 whilst Gamespot gave it a more realistic 7.5/10, saying the controls were unpredictable. Quod erat demonstrandum.

Seriously, try the Zelda mini game on the Wii U's Nintendo Land game and see just how much smoother the 1:1 movement is. That mini game clearly wanted to use Skyward Sword's elements as its foundation, but it just works so much more beautifully in that. True, the game is a LOT simpler than Skyward Sword, but my core complaint with Skyward Sword was the motion controls being fidgety and unpredictable, whilst Nintendo Land does it near perfectly. Why should this be the case?

(Addendum) I know what you mean losing control in tense situations, and that I can agree with. I mean, the Wii definitely can't handle if someone starts flailing their arms around in panic considering it's infrared, but I'll point out one specific moment where I literally had to stop playing in frustration and take a long walk to cool down and relieve the fact that it was the first time in Zelda that I was legitimately pissed off. It was in a cave where you swing specifically at a hanging spider to make it rotate so you can strike its weak point. Thing is, the controls did not do that. I am not lying, I tried everything I could think of for half an hour, but I could never get the second and third strikes to work the same way, causing the the spider to fly at me wrecking ball style. I clenched the controller with two hands trying the motions, I made slow movements, I flailed, and I tried anything else one could think of, and nothing. I played that part again on my friend's Wii/TV, and it responded better to the point where I could pass. Not smoothly mind you, but a hell of a lot better than what I could pull from my side.

And before you ask, yes, the TV was calibrated and isn't a hunk of old junk. Other Wii games run fine on it. Moments like that seriously soured the game for me, especially since I liked the gimmick of swinging certain directions to get around blocking enemies. It's an absolute treat to play on the Nintendo Land game.
Old 2013-01-23, 21:17   Link #19
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Fair enough points but allow me to say a few things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
-The motion controls are generally bearable, but unnecessarily FORCED into all aspects (swimming especially) when they could be optional. Really though, the combat is fundamentally flawed in that it all comes down to one damn mini game of slicing in the correct direction. This is not interesting or fun and at worse very frustrating.
This isn't really an actual flaw with the game, just a preference. It along with breakable shields more-or-less means you need to be a little more careful and skillful with combat situations. You can't just mash a button anymore while intermittently guarding or parrying.

Quote:
-Fi repeats instructions you were just given like the one writing her dialogue has never played the game. She has no personality. She is practically a slap in the face of everyone who made any kind of complaints about the companions before her... like "You thought that one was bad, well TAKE THIS!" lol...
Sure Fi is captain obvious, but she's at least a more interesting design than a glowing ball with wings. Heck, even Tatl was just a Navi re-color. Midna's probably the best non-human female companion so far though.

Quote:
-There's no clear distinction between dungeons and surrounding areas so I feel like I'm never getting a break. I LIKE the stretches of gameplay between dungeons in Zelda games.
Wait what? I was always aware when I was in a dungeon and when I was not. There's very simple ways to distinguish that too.

Quote:
-You revisit the same 3 areas 3 times (ugh) with no real engaging motivation to do so given to you. There really isn't any small local narrative conflict to resolve around any of the dungeons... at least not any interesting ones. The world feels pretty barren as a result.
Well, being barren is kind of the point. The surface of the world is a place where people haven't lived for a very long time. And while the dungeons don't really play into the area conflict, it still exists outside of dungeons. Rather the dungeons are much more central to the overarching plot than a contained sub-plot.

Quote:
-The sky is empty and boring.
The sea in Wind Waker is empty and boring too, and unlike that at least you can travel around the sky faster and you're not limited to travelling in only the direction the wind is going.

Quote:
-The narrative starts out fairly strong (at least I liked it) but then all that happens is Zelda impersonates Princess Peach three times then disappears and NOTHING happens for a long while, then you're slammed with a huge plot dump, then nothing happens for a while, then the story ends... just bad pacing and crappy storytelling.
Narrative hasn't been Zelda's strong point if you ask me. I figure you're looking in the wrong place for that. The adventure aspect is largely the driving force behind the Zelda series, not it's story.

Quote:
-You fight that stupid boss with big toes THREE times.
The third time is probably not really necessary sure, but you also fight Girahim 3 times. Do you have a problem with that too?

Quote:
-There's no settlements or cities or really any decent characters in the whole world outside the starting city and that inn
Again, the surface is supposed to be barren as noone has lived there in ages. At least they had the decency to throw in some non-human NPC's for some guidance and interaction.

Quote:
-I hated all 4 of the trials and the note finding was a complete joke.
I admit, the tadtone part of the game was my least favorite part too. The guardian trials were pretty intense though. That feeling of terror and hopelessness when the guardians are chasing you makes those parts worthwhile if you ask me.~
Old 2013-01-23, 21:25   Link #20
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
Actually, to my understanding, there was a mixed number of factors in release that caused smoother playthroughs for some, whilst others suffered. I definitely understand the concepts of infrared motion and to make cautious/calm movements, but my copy along with several others I knew caused some serious game breaking problems.
You know, I did hear something about that. That's really unfortunate, I thought it was a great game, if a rather flawed one.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote