AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-11-02, 19:42   Link #101
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

boss caliber would be an understatment, without first strike u'll most like die in one turn against lv1 monads depth mobs when u first access it.

First strike + Alice pretty much kills 90% of the mobs at lower levels, then once u get high enuf u get lucifer and satan and its all over.
Old 2007-11-04, 06:13   Link #102
orange.a
SUN faction member
*Graphic Designer

Since I didn't posted in this thread yet I'm going to give some kind of a summary of what I though of this game.

Seriously, if Odin Sphere didn't exist, this would be the best RPG ever.

The battle system (although being a TB system) it's quite superb with the weakness, status and speed issues.
The story is excellent and the subtle difference yeat clear connection between the normal day and the nights are impressive.

And what makes the game really great is the Persona compendium system. I mean I was (measured by clock) 4 hours and 27 minutes shuffling to get an all-dyne Titania!
Plus the ending was superb, almost tear-breaking.

I wish I knew a little more of Japanese so I could play FES. I hope Atlus gets on its tracks and release the localized version
orange.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 06:51   Link #103
MeganeShounen
Huh?

Ahhh... after a grueling 80 hour playthrough, I've finally finished Persona 3.
(Yes, yes, in before slowpoke.bmp..)

Spoiler for my final P3 runthrough:
MeganeShounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 08:51   Link #104
orange.a
SUN faction member
*Graphic Designer

The REAL battle is the one you get as a bonus in the second playthrough. THAT is a difficult battle
Old 2007-11-04, 12:10   Link #105
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

I dont think Odin sphere is better than P3....OS is fun, but the story and game just isnt as "free" as P3

imo, i dont think OS is even second best on PS2...
Old 2007-11-04, 14:43   Link #106
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryuusei View Post
anyone heard of a pal release yet or should pal players lose hope of ever playing this game right about now?
Last I heard was early 2008. I wonder if we'll get the same special version of the game, though.
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-04, 17:48   Link #107
orange.a
SUN faction member
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHige View Post
I dont think Odin sphere is better than P3....OS is fun, but the story and game just isnt as "free" as P3

imo, i dont think OS is even second best on PS2...
Free =/= better.

Maybe it's because you didn't play OS enough. But well... to each their own
Old 2007-11-04, 23:52   Link #108
MeganeShounen
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
Last I heard was early 2008. I wonder if we'll get the same special version of the game, though.
I did hear about that short-lived rumor of a "Persona 3 Expansion Pack" over the gaming channels in the Internet. You could probably check the Wikipedia article for Persona 3 for that. It's on the last few paragraphs.
Old 2007-11-05, 09:31   Link #109
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Persona 3 expansion pack = FES, which is short for festival, its a remake of the P3 + a continuation of the story one month after the ending of P3 starring Aegis as the main character.
Old 2007-11-05, 10:38   Link #110
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I personally didn't like OS, thinking it's simply much overrated (and that's coming from an Atlus fan), and I think Persona is the best RPG for the ps2 hands down. But then again, I'm a persona fanatic lol. Do note that I'm also a SaGa fanatic ever since Final Fantasy Adventure (even though I didn't know it was SaGa back then), so even though I loved RS (400+ hours, much?), I still think P3 is a better game.

And Monad wasn't THAT bad in my experience. I mean, in the last block of Tartarus, I've come across a good number of those lvl 90+ minions as random black shadow at lvl ~60 IIRC, and breezed through them. Then again, it's already been a habit to first strike every black shadow that doesn't run ever since block 1 lol. Monad wasn't so different; first strike, and then hit weaknesses. Rinse and repeat. XD

Also, one really doesn't need guides to get the higher level Personas. I just fooled around with mixing and matching personas, and I think I got all that were lower or equal than my level. And those that's hard to fuse, you'll know how to look for anyways, since they're more than likely to be part of the higher level spreads, and thus you know there's a persona you're missing. (example, IIRC Shiva is part of the Sun spread to get the ultimate Sun persona, so you know Shiva is there to be fused. And knowing he's part of the Hindu religion, it was just a matter of taking every Hindu related persona and see which made him)

Problem I had were that I haven't maxed a number of Commus (Priestess, Empress, Chariot, Strength, Justice IIRC [can you tell which girl I stuck with? lol]), and the fact that I'm too low a level to get the Persona because I'm too lazy to level grind since Monad wasn't even a challenge for me.

Which reminds me, Devil class was the biggest surprise for me. Having played P1 and P2, I was expecting Satan to be the ultimate Devil class persona lol. Imagine me seeing that I unlocked Beelzebub instead of Satan; I resetted and did it again just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-05, 13:40   Link #111
beamknight87
Gold Saint

Man, I just got to the second full moon (beginning of June) >_< and I must say that the boss of the... 34th floor of the Tartarus was moderately difficult for me.
beamknight87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-06, 19:02   Link #112
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeganeShounen View Post
I did hear about that short-lived rumor of a "Persona 3 Expansion Pack" over the gaming channels in the Internet. You could probably check the Wikipedia article for Persona 3 for that. It's on the last few paragraphs.
Yeah, I know about the FES version of the game. Just watched half an hour of the game because I can't seem to get the JP version to work on Swap Magic. Now the story's really got my interest pricked

What I really meant was if we'll get the artbook and OST like in the NA version or not.
Xcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-07, 20:20   Link #113
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

The artbook is pretty nice, it would suck if u guys dont get it with ur release

the OST...well u can get the full one online somewhere, the one that came with the game sucks horribly, it doesnt really matter if u get that or not

if FES ever gets translated, i would cream myself, thats no lie, and it would even be better if they sell it packaged with MC's headphones like FES in Japan, a man can dream, cant he?
Old 2007-11-11, 12:29   Link #114
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

*Sniff*

I've finally completed the game, at a grand total of 191 hours, over roughly 6 weeks of play. I spoilt the ending for myself by reading too far ahead in forums and faq boards, but luckily, not by too much, so I still managed to enjoy the finale.

What can I say? It's the journey that counts, and not the ending, however predictable it may have been. And what a journey it has been!

Persona 3 ran through the whole gamut of anime/life-sim cliches, but thanks to the strength of writing and its great characters, it made the usual stereotypes feel fresh and entertaining. What's more, if you dig a little deeper, the game does provide some interesting food for thought. It depends on how familiar you are with the some of philosophical concepts explored in the game -- overall, I was quite impressed with what the creators pulled off.

At this point, I'm wondering how the rest of you guys "played" this game? Speaking for myself, I took the words of the contract to heart, and approached the whole game like an extended personality test -- meaning to say, I role-played the different soul-link relationships as best as I could, based on how I felt my character would behave in that situation. Every decision was final, ie, there was no reloading to a previous save-point in order get a "perfect" result through replay.

As such, I ended up with moments of sweet joy along with moments of regret -- regret that Hayashi Makoto (林誠, my character's name) couldn't have done more for some people, but happy for those he did manage to reach in time. Not counting the soul-links that were max'ed by default, I only managed to complete four soul-links and came near to closing another three. The ebb and flow of every soul-link affected the way I interpreted Makoto and his story. And, in a way, I felt the final result also provided a fairly accurate reflection of how I would behave in similar real-life situations. So, playing Persona 3 had been an amusingly insightful experience for me (taken with a pinch of salt, of course).

If you've played Persona 3 the way I had, you should have ended up with a result that is a unique reflection of you as well. It would be interesting to learn how different people take different things out of the same game. For example, read what Leigh Alexander wrote in one of her reviews:

Quote:
During your social interactions with other characters, the improvement of your relationship with them is determined by how much they like your answers to their questions. Unlike other “pick a response” scenarios in RPGs, where there’s a “right” answer and a “jerk” answer, the complexity of interaction in Persona 3 raises quite a few challenges for those trained to provide the wholesome answer.

You’re not trying to be a good person. You’re trying to satiate the other person in order to improve your power. This can be fairly benign – from the cute track team captain asking you to confirm that she should eat a second lunch, or that she’s right in blowing off her studies – to a little darker.

[For example,] the overzealous student head of the Disciplinary Committee asks for your collusion in enforcing his irrational rules. When he over-reacts to a bathroom smoking incident, he asks whether he’s in the right. It’s evident to the player that his draconian morality is entirely wrong, and you have the opportunity to set him to rights. But if you want that strength boost for the Emperor arcana to which the disciplinarian belongs, you must concur with him that students shouldn’t have freedom.

Your quiet protagonist doesn’t impose any morals whatsoever on the player – but he takes you to that place with him, the sense of deep duality, of showing a drastically different face to one individual than you show another, all for the sake of getting stronger, and it’s deliciously insidious.
She made an exceptionally good point, in my opinion. If you're a power gamer who's playing the game just to min/max your screen avatar, you would ironically be living up to the full meaning of the word "persona", ie, a mask you wear to suit any given social situation. Your character would become a cynical two-faced liar who manipulates other people's feelings to achieve his own goals.

Fortunately then, Makoto didn't turn out that way. I'm pleased. How about you? How did your character turn out in the end? Care to share?
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 19:45   Link #115
beamknight87
Gold Saint

Ok, I just got the Koro dog character (WTF!? O_o), but I must say I think I got more or less the basis of the game adjusted. I have really enjoyed the history so far.
Strange as it might sound, even if I have been maxing up the social links, I have not been in the necessity to create or fuse more Personas, except the required ones for the quests. In fact, I have been using only the 3 that I got as soon as I could: Lillim (4 elemental single attack), a Narcisus (4 elemental ALL attack) and an Oberon (cause of his electric block and Media -_-).
beamknight87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-11, 22:37   Link #116
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamknight87
Strange as it might sound, even if I have been maxing up the social links, I have not been in the necessity to create or fuse more Personas, except the required ones for the quests.
Haha, there's nothing strange in what you're doing. Once you've grasped the "One More" system, it's possible to win every battle, even the final boss battle with first-tier spells. In other words, there is no real need to acquire more Personae other than a self-imposed desire to "collect them all". I achieved 88% by the time I ended the game. There was no way I could have achieved 100% anyway, since I didn't manage to maximise every social link.

And, what's so strange about a Persona-using albino dog? This is a JRPG we're talking about here, where heroes routinely fight with exotic weapons and where AI is human enough to fall in love with you. Koromaru was just another part of the landscape I accepted without further question.
Old 2007-11-12, 11:46   Link #117
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

i dont think u can beat the final boss with tier one spells even with one-more unless u r 90+, u simply dont have enuf defence to sustain his attacks.

Of course, at lv90+ u can beat him with even physical attack alone (aside from his physical immune forms of course).
Old 2007-11-12, 21:07   Link #118
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

I thought about it a bit, and I think it's still possible. Probably extremely hard, but not impossible certainly. An adequate supply of Attack and Magic Mirrors would help. And also liberal use of Card items to boost your Personae's stats, particularly Endurance to survive the massive damage.

In the end, it's only idle speculation on my part. My main was indeed Lv.95 by the time of the final battle, and the other characters were 80+. So the boss barely provided any challenge. But it was very satisfying to clobber him with Messiah, so I'm glad I got that far.

By the way, I believe someone asked, either on this forum or in another blog somewhere, about the true purpose of the Velvet Room.

Spoiler for the Velvet Room:

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2007-11-12 at 21:17.
Old 2007-11-13, 02:55   Link #119
MeganeShounen
Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
At this point, I'm wondering how the rest of you guys "played" this game? Speaking for myself, I took the words of the contract to heart, and approached the whole game like an extended personality test -- meaning to say, I role-played the different soul-link relationships as best as I could, based on how I felt my character would behave in that situation. Every decision was final, ie, there was no reloading to a previous save-point in order get a "perfect" result through replay.
Well, I pretty much felt the same way the main character felt on most of the normal days. I mean...
Spoiler:

Quote:
If you've played Persona 3 the way I had, you should have ended up with a result that is a unique reflection of you as well. It would be interesting to learn how different people take different things out of the same game.

She made an exceptionally good point, in my opinion. If you're a power gamer who's playing the game just to min/max your screen avatar, you would ironically be living up to the full meaning of the word "persona", ie, a mask you wear to suit any given social situation. Your character would become a cynical two-faced liar who manipulates other people's feelings to achieve his own goals.

Fortunately then, Makoto didn't turn out that way. I'm pleased. How about you? How did your character turn out in the end? Care to share?
The meaning of the word "persona", yes. Actually, you could say that the main character used a different "persona" or attitude for each of the Social Links... although, in reality, I made him a perfect gentleman on all accounts, from the SEES (good thing I didn't jump on Yukari in that *certain* place) to Mitsuru (even though she's a rich girl, I wouldn't be caught letting her pay for the meals), right up to the NAS. So yes, I made the main character as nice to everyone as possible.

It doesn't help that I named him after a certain TYPEMOON character who's quite known for having a relationship with a princess, a member of the Church, and his own (not blood related) sister. Oh yeah, and he ALSO has a deadly alter-ego.

Quote:
And, what's so strange about a Persona-using albino dog? This is a JRPG we're talking about here, where heroes routinely fight with exotic weapons and where AI is human enough to fall in love with you. Koromaru was just another part of the landscape I accepted without further question.
I did think about this for a bit... so I wonder what's more unusual: A dog that can wield a Persona, or a machine that has humanlike feelings?

Quote:
Spoiler for the Velvet Room:
That's a great way of putting it and I agree.
No wonder the quests Elizabeth give are completely optional.

Spoiler for Elizabeth:
Old 2007-11-13, 10:31   Link #120
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Liz is just a sadistic bitch in my opinion....damn her quests :P

but ur explanation of the Velvet Room seems fair, if u put it that way it does make sense

machine that develops human feelings is so overdone in anime/JRPG its almost standard, i think the dog with special powers is probably more "fresh" in terms of materials, off the top of my head the only other anime i could think of with thatis Cowboy Bebop

Tags
ps2