AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-01-21, 17:54   Link #3941
12ice

LA Chapter 7 and GuP Ch. 8 here:

http://ak-scans.wikia.com/wiki/Girls...ation_Activity
12ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 07:58   Link #3942
aly_angelflight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ice View Post
Actually, GuP Ch. 8 got moved to the "officially released" page.
aly_angelflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 09:54   Link #3943
Gravitas Free Zone

With the production delay and subsequent push-back on the broadcast of the final two episodes, is the manga's ending going to come out before the TV series's ending?
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 10:46   Link #3944
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
With the production delay and subsequent push-back on the broadcast of the final two episodes, is the manga's ending going to come out before the TV series's ending?
Hope not. I'm not loving the manga... and I'd hate to experience the story first in that version...

The art seems sloppy and lacks the charm of the show, and the story telling suffers from exposition-itis whereas the show avoids it entirely, oh and the battles are not nearly as well choreographed.
Old 2013-01-22, 13:11   Link #3945
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket View Post
Hope not. I'm not loving the manga... and I'd hate to experience the story first in that version...

The art seems sloppy and lacks the charm of the show, and the story telling suffers from exposition-itis whereas the show avoids it entirely, oh and the battles are not nearly as well choreographed.
There's no way for a manga to replicate the superb direction that the anime has, so it would need exposition to ensure that the readers know what's going on. I don't know if it's been emphasized enough how important this visual direction has been and how rare it is in anime. Moreover, the manga isn't going to have the great sound effects and music the anime has, so it can't act as a suitable substitute.

Quote:
[SNIP Anchovy]
How the heck a joke character who hasn't done anything get this much fanart is beyond me.
Old 2013-01-22, 13:14   Link #3946
Gravitas Free Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
How the heck a joke character who hasn't done anything get this much fanart is beyond me.
There's also the odd love of Rabbit Team's voiceless Saki... Perhaps in both cases it comes down to people wanting to fill in what seems like a gap in the provided characterizations.

Also, that was one of the more realistic depictions of Anchovy that I'd seen.
Old 2013-01-22, 13:17   Link #3947
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
I think it's because of her surprisingly good showing in the manga. The P40 she's using is presented as an actual threat, and actually takes out the M3 Lee easily. Then again it's Anzio's ONLY trump card, so you can imagine how well that turned out (in the anime).

There's a slight problem though with regards to characterization, as her personality seems to overlap a lot with Katyusha's.
Old 2013-01-22, 13:47   Link #3948
4Tran

Quote:
There's also the odd love of Rabbit Team's voiceless Saki... Perhaps in both cases it comes down to people wanting to fill in what seems like a gap in the provided characterizations.

Also, that was one of the more realistic depictions of Anchovy that I'd seen.
It's not uncommon for minor characters to have more fan attention than they have screentime, but there's usually a reason for it, whether it's an unusual mannerism, or character interaction. Saki's popularity is easy to understand: she's been in just about all the episodes, and she stands out from the rest of the cast because of her lack of speech. On the other hand, Anchovy has been in about five frames of animation, so this wouldn't normally apply here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I think it's because of her surprisingly good showing in the manga. The P40 she's using is presented as an actual threat, and actually takes out the M3 Lee easily. Then again it's Anzio's ONLY trump card, so you can imagine how well that turned out (in the anime).

There's a slight problem though with regards to characterization, as her personality seems to overlap a lot with Katyusha's.
Hasn't Anchovy's fanart been showing up before her appearance in the manga? I think that there's something else going on. Maybe artists just really like her character design and uniform?
Old 2013-01-22, 15:27   Link #3949
12ice

She could be memorable due to meta-humour.

I mean, they spend an entire episode pumping the viewer up for the fight, reminding everyone just how dangerous and powerful the Italian school is at every opportunity they have. They even host a tank-hunting session to bolster Ooarai's firepower.

And then we get a whole five frames of her climbing out of her tank.
12ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 15:30   Link #3950
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
The manga only comes out once a month, while the TV ending comes out in March. That's only 2 more chapters out (this month and February's) before March comes, and I doubt they'll end the manga in those two chapters when they're still only covering the Anzio match.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 16:45   Link #3951
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Unless they drop the Pravda match for some reason. But even then, they still have to finish with Anzio first.

The tankettes are nearly useless (even the Type 89 took one out). The rest are at least tanks and tank destroyers and can be a threat (though I don't know if they are enough of a threat to the StuG III that has the flag). The P40 is an all around threat to all of them save maybe the Char B1 due to its very heavy armor.

I did notice the Panzer IV is not with the group anymore.
Old 2013-01-22, 16:52   Link #3952
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

translation anybody

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 16:59   Link #3953
Gravitas Free Zone

So I didn't actually notice this until the screencap came up in my desktop wallpaper rotation and was staring me in the face at 1920x1080, but there's a bit of a drawing error here, in this screencap from Episode 4:

Old 2013-01-22, 19:29   Link #3954
Top Sergeant

Quote:
So I didn't actually notice this until the screencap came up in my desktop wallpaper rotation and was staring me in the face at 1920x1080, but there's a bit of a drawing error here, in this screencap from Episode 4:

Maybe they sent the gun in for cleaning
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 19:32   Link #3955
Zaku_II
1st Scouting Group

Quote:

Yes, the 37mm can be tiny, but at least isd visible
Zaku_II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-22, 21:22   Link #3956
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
Maho: Ah~ My cute little sister grows up again

floating text: Her body is getting more mature too.
Old 2013-01-23, 02:47   Link #3957
rocket
Senior and Demented

Quote:
There's no way for a manga to replicate the superb direction that the anime has, so it would need exposition to ensure that the readers know what's going on. I don't know if it's been emphasized enough how important this visual direction has been and how rare it is in anime. Moreover, the manga isn't going to have the great sound effects and music the anime has, so it can't act as a suitable substitute.
Manga can be just as awesome at telling a story visually, even in complex technical action scenes - see the original Appleseed Manga for some amazing tactical combat. The GuP manga is just sloppy on all counts.

Not that I'll stop reading it because, hey any Anzio battle is beter than none. The Italian assault guns should be a threat to all the tanks in addition to the P40!
Old 2013-01-23, 03:47   Link #3958
Blue Narcissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ice View Post
Here--I tried correcting the emblems using photoshop, just in-case you didn't have it.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Why is the Chinese equivalent a pizza of all things... they should've used something like Pandas or chopsticks and rice.
Blue Narcissi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 03:58   Link #3959
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Because it is an Italian team, not a Chinese team.

One thing I did note in the manga was the differences in the first battle. Using smoke to allow the Panzer IV some time to get away from the StuG III and Type 89. Crossing the bridge completely before firing on the other tanks.
Old 2013-01-23, 04:38   Link #3960
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Some Humikane Shimada wall scrolls available for preorder:

Dat Yukari Truly this world needs more girls in camo.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks