AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-19, 23:14   Link #1161
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

And Funi dose it again and delays SW2 to who knows when sigh
Old 2012-02-02, 21:30   Link #1162
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Looks like the Finnish Embassy in Tokyo Acknowledges Strike Witches
Old 2012-02-03, 22:04   Link #1163
Yui Is My Wife
Paper-Fan of DOOM!!

Don't know about you, but with the awareness of the Tuskeegee Airmen hopefully being raised by Red Tails, I for one would NOT mind seeing these African-American Sky-Warriors represented as the next Liberion Witch.

Why not? Fuso has Two Witches, and Karsland has THREE. And just as long as they keep the portrayal respectful and non-stereotyped (Nadia from Secret of Blue Water is a perfect example) it would be a breath of fresh air to see a non-light-skinned witch in possible future continuations of the franchise.
Old 2012-02-04, 04:03   Link #1164
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Well there's Matilda, a South African witch who serves as Hanna's bodyguard.
Old 2012-02-04, 12:29   Link #1165
Darthtabby

Unfortunately I'm not sure the creators of Strike Witches are quite that progressive, though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on that account.

The main artist for the Strike Witches 1940 and Strike Witches 1991 projects might like the idea though (assuming that movie is even available in Japanese). He's done character concepts for Strike Witches versions of several World War II films (such as Pearl Harbor and The Battle of the Bulge), and he seemed quite happy to take my suggestion for a Gallian Navy witch with African ancestory for his Strike Witches 1991 project. You can find her picture on safebooru. (If you're willing to put up with a NSFW site, you can find the picture with accompanying commentary on danbooru. Unfortunately her written profile isn't very detailed since I sent a very basic outline of the character with the intention of sending more details if the artist liked it, but so far I've had trouble getting help with translating those follow up details.*)

*Yes, I am hoping one of you might be able to help me with this. :P If you're willing then please send me a PM.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-04, 19:11   Link #1166
Key Board
Carbon

It's hard not play on racial stereotypes

just look at Sakura Taisen/Wars
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-05, 12:35   Link #1167
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Unfortunately I'm not sure the creators of Strike Witches are quite that progressive, though I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on that account.

The main artist for the Strike Witches 1940 and Strike Witches 1991 projects might like the idea though (assuming that movie is even available in Japanese). He's done character concepts for Strike Witches versions of several World War II films (such as Pearl Harbor and The Battle of the Bulge), and he seemed quite happy to take my suggestion for a Gallian Navy witch with African ancestory for his Strike Witches 1991 project. You can find her picture on safebooru. (If you're willing to put up with a NSFW site, you can find the picture with accompanying commentary on danbooru. Unfortunately her written profile isn't very detailed since I sent a very basic outline of the character with the intention of sending more details if the artist liked it, but so far I've had trouble getting help with translating those follow up details.*)

*Yes, I am hoping one of you might be able to help me with this. :P If you're willing then please send me a PM.
Wait? You actually spoke with ogitsune?
Old 2012-02-05, 14:16   Link #1168
Darthtabby

Spoken probably isn't the right word, we've communicated via messages on Pixiv. It's been a bit difficult because we really need a translator to do so properly. Solamarle does great work when he's around (those of you who have been reading translated Strike Witches 1991 character profiles on Danbooru have him to thank for most of them, as well as a good chunk of the translation work that was done for the Battle of Britannia doujin), but he tends to disappear for long periods of time.

Francesca's grand daughter Gabriella Luchinni, the aforementioned Gallian Navy witch Nathalie Sagna, and Baltland Air Force Viggen witch Alicia Eriksson are the results of the messages we've exchanged. (I've sometimes worried about sending too many suggestions, but he seems to like them.)
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 07:23   Link #1169
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Spoken probably isn't the right word, we've communicated via messages on Pixiv. It's been a bit difficult because we really need a translator to do so properly. Solamarle does great work when he's around (those of you who have been reading translated Strike Witches 1991 character profiles on Danbooru have him to thank for most of them, as well as a good chunk of the translation work that was done for the Battle of Britannia doujin), but he tends to disappear for long periods of time.

Francesca's grand daughter Gabriella Luchinni, the aforementioned Gallian Navy witch Nathalie Sagna, and Baltland Air Force Viggen witch Alicia Eriksson are the results of the messages we've exchanged. (I've sometimes worried about sending too many suggestions, but he seems to like them.)
Oh i see. I was hoping he can do some characters for a fanfic i have in mind.

Anyway, here's the Strike Witches movie trailer.

Old 2012-02-08, 09:05   Link #1170
Kyuu
=^^=

Oh, the prospect of more Strike Witches brings me tears. To think, I almost completely ignored this series.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-08, 09:28   Link #1171
Qikz

Trailer looks good, new witches and Lynette is still in it <3

Out of interest, does anyone know if the 360 version of Strike Witches Shirogane no Tsubasa was any good? They're porting it to PSP and the LE comes with a Lynette Nendo which I might want ><

Last edited by Qikz; 2012-02-09 at 07:25. Reason: Added a question
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-10, 16:09   Link #1172
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

New footage!

Old 2012-03-10, 17:53   Link #1173
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
New footage!

Awesome. Seriously can't wait for more of this series. The stuff in that preview looks damn good.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-17, 08:55   Link #1174
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Strike Witches Film Ends With "To Be Continued" Note

Ohhh...maybe about the other witches?
Old 2012-03-17, 21:33   Link #1175
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Now that is the most messed up thing as well as awesome for a movie maybe there hoping for a 3rd season

And went ever Funi going to release SW2
Old 2012-03-19, 05:32   Link #1176
DarkyPwnz
Likely To End Up In Jail

I just hope whatever comes up next will get rid of the fanservice. Seriously,Shirley (or was it Charlotte) might be a great "pilot" and all that but I don't need to see her in a bathtub,it adds nothing to the plot.
Old 2012-03-19, 08:14   Link #1177
pauldy
An F-15 Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Strike Witches Film Ends With "To Be Continued" Note

Ohhh...maybe about the other witches?
..more like cameos of other units and witches for me.. based on some of the movie reviews floating around..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkyPwnz View Post
I just hope whatever comes up next will get rid of the fanservice. Seriously,Shirley (or was it Charlotte) might be a great "pilot" and all that but I don't need to see her in a bathtub,it adds nothing to the plot.
You're wishing for an impossible wish. As long as the anime still has the same Staff behind it, expect hefty amounts of fanservice with a not-so-strong plot. Like what the staff said in an interview, they didn't intend Strike Witches to be some serious war romance story.

It's was a lighthearted title from the start with bonus action or something. I also wished for it to be more about the neuroi war initially.

But.. I accepted the cold hard fact, that Strike Witches is a fanservice anime and will always be like that. No more no less.

Maybe you could try some of the Africa Doujins though. They say it's somewhat a bit more balanced with more action/story.
pauldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-20, 19:45   Link #1178
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Strike Witches Browser Game for PC/Phone Revealed
Old 2012-05-03, 11:46   Link #1179
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Strike Witches Manga Spinoff Posted for Free in English

Now i'll just have to learn how register at Niconico...
Old 2012-06-28, 23:14   Link #1180
teh_nubkilr
*IT Support

The Strike Witches Movie BD/DVD is set to release on October 26, 2012. I apologies for the freshman question, but is there a separate thread here for the Strike Witches movie?
teh_nubkilr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kemonomimi, light novel adaptation, mecha, mecha musume