AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-04-01, 11:09   Link #581
Darthtabby

Count me as another person who was caught off guard by Ari turning out to have had a romantic interest in Karl. I may have wondered about it a bit early on but I'd put those worries to rest well before the series reached the second to last episode.

The more traditional types of stories this franchise seems to go for also wouldn't have led me to suspect that Ari was romantically into Karl. While the novel version of Remembrances for a Certain Pilot was otaku enough that I don't have a lot of trouble accepting that its sequel novels could contain something like this, it's otaku elements were still mild enough compared to other modern light novels that I would not be inclined to think they would either.

Also, while Triple_R makes a good point as to why the creators may have chosen to end the series with a battle, I'm not sure I entirely like that change, as the source material apparently doesn't have the heroes just attacking the Sky Clan outright the way they did here.
Spoiler:
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 11:17   Link #582
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
That blue plane at the end reminded me of Princess and Pilot. I wonder if this show is related? They look so similar. That would be cool if it was, and the blue pilot is the guy from the movie.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 11:23   Link #583
Tenzen12

It's from same universe

Spoiler for for identity of seagul pilot:
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 19:53   Link #584
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
You know, this argument (KC: my feeling that Ari's romantic interest in Kal was clear from early on) really bugs me. It really does. Because it's simply not accurate, and so it's not fair to those of us who didn't see these supposedly obvious "romantic feelings". There is nothing from "very early on" between Ari and Karl that can't quite legitimately be interpreted as normal platonic sibling affection....
I can sympathize with your feeling. All I can say is that it was clear to me from early on. Maybe I'm just too used to the usual memes.

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it, since it just seemed like putting people down. Not my intention. I was just genuinely surprised at the reaction coming now.

But I do agree that sibling romance was unnecessary, and that their normal sibling relationship was more interesting (at least potentially). I also enjoyed the dynamic within that family. Moreover, I was completely caught up in the real romance, and didn't want Ari horning in, lol.

And I agree that Ari's romantic feeling increased in the last episode, but that would be normal, seeing Kal flying off to his love.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 21:17   Link #585
VTHokiePride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
That blue plane at the end reminded me of Princess and Pilot. I wonder if this show is related? They look so similar. That would be cool if it was, and the blue pilot is the guy from the movie.
It's supposed to be in the same universe hence why we have the crossovers with Levamme and the pilot being the same pilot from the movie.
Old 2014-04-01, 23:47   Link #586
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Really? That's so awesome then! Too bad the show wasn't all the great as I wanted it to be.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 03:45   Link #587
Hoaviet

Jesus this anime is AMAZING, just finished watching it and I'm so sad that's over. There are so many unanswered questions.
Does Ignacio have the same mother of Kal-el?
Does Kal-el reunite with Claire?
Who is Hazama, Shizuka really?

I hope there is a second season but does anyone know where the manga or light novels are. I can't find the English versions anywhere.
Old 2014-04-02, 04:17   Link #588
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoaviet View Post
Does Ignacio have the same mother of Kal-el?
ehm, no, same father. Karl's father, the Emperor, had an affair with Ingacio's mother, who at the time was I don't remember what. He later sent her away. IIRC It's not clear if he did it to save her from the revolution or to hide the fruit of their affair.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 08:44   Link #589
fractal4

Reading the comments and questions here, in leaving so many questions unanswered it's almost as if the anime adaptation expected people to already be familiar with the light novels. Not just the light novel for this particular anime, but also the other series of "Pilot" light novels. (I had access to some translated summaries, which helped fill in the gaps a lot when watching the anime.)

Ignacio's mother was a Benares noblewoman forcibly brought to Balesteros by Karl's father, the Emperor. Ignacio and his mother were kept hidden away in the palace until being kicked out about a year before the revolution, as public opinion of Karl's father was already very low.

About three years elapse between the Isla expedition and when Karl sets out to retrieve Claire.

Given the way Fana Levamme from The Princess and the Pilot made an indirect appearance in this series, it can be expected that we may find out indirectly in future light novels whether Karl reunited with Claire. There currently are 4 light novels set in this universe, all with "Pilot" in the title. Of the two which have not yet been turned into anime, one is set in Amatsukami, the rival country to Levamme, and the other, which is still ongoing, takes place in yet a third set of countries along with the Sky Tribe.
fractal4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 14:04   Link #590
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
Really? That's so awesome then! Too bad the show wasn't all the great as I wanted it to be.
Indeed. The setting, imho, had the potential to be the next Last Exile but it stopped short of being memorable and ended up becoming merely a good show.
Old 2014-04-02, 14:23   Link #591
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I like how this anime is connected to a series where different installments touch on different parts of the same world. I think that's a great way to flesh out a world, and have it really take on a life of its own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I can sympathize with your feeling. All I can say is that it was clear to me from early on. Maybe I'm just too used to the usual memes.

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it, since it just seemed like putting people down. Not my intention. I was just genuinely surprised at the reaction coming now.
That's fine. I probably overreacted a bit in my response to you. I just hope I made it clear why I never really saw the "Ari has romantic love for Karl" thing coming.
Old 2014-04-02, 20:07   Link #592
AC-Phoenix
Detective

So was this supposed to be open ended for a 3rd anime or did they just run out of episodes?

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 20:14   Link #593
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'm no fan of Ari, or of the incest fixation in anime and LNs these days. But for the record these two aren't half-siblings, they're step-siblings. And those are certainly very different things.

For me, the ending was like most of the series as a whole. Objectively I can pick it to shreds, but somehow it ended up being more enjoyable than it should. It felt like an actual ending to me, which many anime finales don't. And overall, the series had a clumsy charm to it, and I liked the old-fashioned fantasy story and sense of scope (even if the budget got in the way).
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-02, 21:10   Link #594
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

5/10 felt really bored watching this even the air warfare wasnt good
Old 2014-04-09, 03:56   Link #595
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

For an anime that took a sharply rushed turn for the last few episodes, it ended very well.

Prince Karl starting a war to rescue Nina Viento was just GLORIOUS. Yeah, sure, no political reason, thousands of dead Mitty's, did someone mention the Iliad, etc., but if I'm going to die in a war, might as well die for our ship!

Karl La Hire 2016

That said, I wasn't happy with a sad Ari. The development isn't all that surprising, but I was hoping for much better from this anime. I've noticed from the beginning that Ari was not entirely happy with her closest person being stolen from her, but she spent so much time throughout the series being a good girl helping Kal and Claire, with some shipping with Ignacio, that I was hoping they'd actually interpret the sibling relationship as siblings first and let this obvious trope go. Nope, best girl heartbroken. Again. Argh.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-09, 03:58   Link #596
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post
For an anime that took a sharply rushed turn for the last few episodes, it ended very well.

Prince Karl starting a war to rescue Nina Viento was just GLORIOUS. Yeah, sure, no political reason, thousands of dead Mitty's, did someone mention the Iliad, etc., but if I'm going to die in a war, might as well die for our ship!

Karl La Hire 2016
Nina Viento would make a great First Lady.

But yeah, this is wonderfully hot-blooded romance, imo.
Old 2015-05-20, 20:47   Link #597
Top Sergeant

An excellent anime. I missed it when it was airing and finished it last week. It kept the viewer interested, nice art, good characters, Karl developed into someone more likable, and had a very beautiful ending. This has gone onto my Keepers list.

Last edited by Top Sergeant; 2015-05-20 at 22:34.
Top Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure, drama, pilot, romance