3 out of 10 : Bad 3 3.90%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 1.30%
1 out of 10 : Painful 3 3.90%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2014-10-04, 13:23   Link #121
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
I think some people are confused about a fact here: it looked like there were TWO groups running after the G-Self in the 1st sequence -- the Capital Army AND the pirates...

... And the pirates got the G-Self back. The Capital Army only managed to retrieve Raraiya. It's just that the scene was framed in a confusing manner.

Remember, the Capital Army suits have WINGS. The pirate suits don't.
Old 2014-10-04, 13:28   Link #122
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I think some people are confused about a fact here: it looked like there were TWO groups running after the G-Self in the 1st sequence -- the Capital Army AND the pirates...

... And the pirates got the G-Self back. The Capital Army only managed to retrieve Raraiya. It's just that the scene was framed in a confusing manner.

Remember, the Capital Army suits have WINGS. The pirate suits don't.
Pretty much . The Capital captain (his name is Delensen or something, right?) even said something like “The baldy (the Grimoire MS) beat me to it!” before rescuing Raraiya.

The real question is, if Raraiya escaped from (or was part of) the pirates and launched in G-Self with the Atmospheric-pack, why would Aida the piratess surprised when the Atmospheric-pack can work with G-Self when Bellri equipped it in episode 2? She should’ve known that the Atmospheric-pack can work with the G-Self. Though, it’s possible that Aida know next to nothing about Raraiya and her escape.
Old 2014-10-04, 13:34   Link #123
GN0010 Nosferatu
Where's the monoeye?

I wonder of they'll one day back track tongue events prior to the opening. When Monday was trying to bring the G-Self.
GN0010 Nosferatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 15:27   Link #124
kakakka

Watched 2nd episode. It's good that these two episodes were released at the same time. As intro episodes, I think they work well together.
kakakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 16:01   Link #125
Vsin
Aldracity

My immediate impression from watching Ep 1/2 is "That's so Tomino!" That's really the only way I can describe it :P

I swear, all of Tomino's series intros can boil down to "It happened, just work with it." I have full confidence that it'll all get explained eventually, but that man never ceases to confuse you within the first hour. Especially his trope of introducing characters that are already extremely capable at *something* and then having them do stuff without first telling the audience that they're extremely capable.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-04, 16:54   Link #126
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Actually, it doesn't look like the pirate even knew about it as the guy wondered about the glow and then decided to catch it. Then again, Aida acted like she knew all about it and, by episode 2, the pirates seemed to have an idea of what it was. It's a little confusing. Is there some kind of legal/business reasoning behind that? Like he can only be credited by name for a limited number of position or something?
I doubt it. It's something that Tomino has always done and early on his career he would actually make up a new fake name for every show he made. Nowadays it's just Yokitani and Rin Iogi for his lyricist credits.

Keep in mind the name Yoshiyuki Tomino itself is a pseudonym (at least the kanji he uses)
Old 2014-10-04, 23:47   Link #127
SvenCalBayan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinzz View Post
This doesn't feel as fluid as some of the more modern animes, and the acting and the way they handle space pirates fell very... for lack of better word, weird...
I got the same vibe... and you know what, I LIKED IT !

It's like watching Victory or Zeta Gundam episodes with today's tech in terms of animation and effects. It's not surprising as well, as Tomino-san is writing and directing it.

In a gamer's way, let me describe the feeling of watching "Gundam Reconguista in G" episodes 1 & 2 : It felt like the old "Final Fantasy" titles... before FFVII and the really futuristic sci-fi turn.

For episodes 1 & 2, I gave it a 7 out of 10. It was good, nostalgic and I cannot wait to see where it's going. It wasn't super awesome or anything, just good, with a good feel for me.

It certainly looks better than the disgrace that was Gundam AGE.
SvenCalBayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 00:29   Link #128
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I can't stop listening to G no Senkou.

That ED is catchy as hell.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 00:39   Link #129
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Annoyingly so. It's been stuck in my head all goddamn day.
Old 2014-10-05, 02:05   Link #130
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
Edit:
Spoiler for other Gundam:

Blame Aida, she named it the G-Self!

Probably Bellri named hers and it sounded cooler!

Did the Pirate Captain really die, I wonder? Because in the ED, Bellri is with both Pirate and Capital Captains and if he died in the 2nd episode, why bother? I also know this could be a hint the Capital Captain will bite the dust later too.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 04:14   Link #131
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post

Did the Pirate Captain really die, I wonder? Because in the ED, Bellri is with both Pirate and Capital Captains and if he died in the 2nd episode, why bother? I also know this could be a hint the Capital Captain will bite the dust later too.
Cahill is the Miguel Aiman of G-Reco.
Old 2014-10-05, 06:03   Link #132
suiken

Here are the my verdict on the first two episodes:

Positives:
- MC isn't the usual teenager that accidentally stumbles in the gundam and pilots it nor isn't an emo brat that whines too much.

- Liking the girls so far. I would usually yell in my mind "Please kill this bitch" but not this time. Although Raraiya is kinda messed up, it's quite understandable given the situation she went.

- Both OP and ED were very catchy. There are only few instances where I like both the OP and ED at the same time. Another plus is that they didn't went on the usual J-POP music. Instead, they went retro.

- Little sign of Kill em All Tomino. We only have one casualty so far. Killing when only necessary is a good thing. You don't need to kill someone in every episode just to point out something.

- No Mary Sues and Gary Stus for now. All characters are believably presented including Bellri. His mom didn't follow the MILF trope that majority of anime follow these days.

Negatives:

- Animation seems choppy at times especially at the CG parts.

- Mechs looks too cute to be taken seriously. But we know cute can be deadly (Madoka showed us that XD)

- Confusing terms and events. I wouldn't know that there is only one g-self if I haven't rewatched the first episode. Hopefully, they will answer some questions in the later episodes.

- As much as I like the girls, opposite can be said with the boys. There are no outstanding on them so far. Hopefully, the char clone will provide that.

- Not that I hate Bellri. I'm liking his character so far. But his design looks like he went on drugs. I hope he takes a haircut later in the season.
suiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 06:18   Link #133
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Capital Captain is also not in the dance montage. =P

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 10:34   Link #134
Irenesharda

Quote:

The Capital Captain, Dellensen Samatar, I too have a feeling will die, as he's not in the ED can-can line either. I have a feeling that the Capital is going to turn out to be the bad guys here and that Bellri will be changing sides and joining the pirates. Dellensen seems like a hardened but good man, I'm going to assume that he's not going to agree with something that the Capital Army does and will end up getting killed because of it.

We also have yet to meet the Amerians (future Americans ) either, who the capital seem to be hostile with. I wonder how they will play into all this. Supposedly Captain Cahill Saint was Amerian according to Aida, so perhaps the space pirates are made up of people from both sides?

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 11:40   Link #135
brightman
Ancient Member

My theory is that Cahill and Dellensen will be the two guys that Bellri kills in the show (if Happy Tomino holds)
Old 2014-10-05, 12:37   Link #136
tyrionlannister

The vibe I get from these first 2 episodes is very Overman King Gainer - the character design, the mecha design which is curved and rounded and kinda cute, the movements of the characters which look bumbling, kinda like like a kung-fu movie, the pastel-like colors, the two-legged mini-mechs, the more positive tone - which is appropriate for being "happy" Tomino, and I like it, as I liked Overman King Gainer.
tyrionlannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 15:44   Link #137
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I guess reactions have been pretty mixed which just about sums up my feelings with the show too. I love the character designs and the retro feel but I guess I must have forgotten about Tomino's shortfalls in writing. The plot is ambitious and the story is extraordinarily atmospheric but the exposition is just painful. Events go by too fast for me to register and a lot of scenes are just plain confusing (like the opening scene). There's a considerable lack of context in everything that's happening and in the end after so many decades, Tomino is still doing the thing I hate most: Throwing us head first into a conflict without giving us a real understanding of the socio-political background.

There was also some really bizarre head scratching moments (e.g "The world is not square", shooting a slingshot at a woman holding on for dear life, a prisoner getting away with so much bitchiness, another prisoner with clear mental issues allowed to roam free instead of being confined to the hospital).
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-05, 16:19   Link #138
hai_san

Finally watched the 1st ep, very much "retro". The Characters and music was good, the gundam design well not my kind but i had known it from the trailer already. Let see how it will develope.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 00:06   Link #139
fr3@ky_g

Quote:
Originally Posted by hai_san View Post
Finally watched the 1st ep, very much "retro". The Characters and music was good, the gundam design well not my kind but i had known it from the trailer already. Let see how it will develope.
I would dare to say that the MS designs are a bit weird for lack of a better term. The character designs on the other hand reminded me of old old school UC-era stuff.

But the walking segways........they could just use wheels on them?

Also that backpack attachment......shades of C.E. gundams? I hope there's not Kira Yamato here.

One more thing...federation and zeon suits from a past era....that made me ROFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
I guess reactions have been pretty mixed which just about sums up my feelings with the show too. I love the character designs and the retro feel but I guess I must have forgotten about Tomino's shortfalls in writing. The plot is ambitious and the story is extraordinarily atmospheric but the exposition is just painful. Events go by too fast for me to register and a lot of scenes are just plain confusing (like the opening scene). There's a considerable lack of context in everything that's happening and in the end after so many decades, Tomino is still doing the thing I hate most: Throwing us head first into a conflict without giving us a real understanding of the socio-political background.

There was also some really bizarre head scratching moments (e.g "The world is not square", shooting a slingshot at a woman holding on for dear life, a prisoner getting away with so much bitchiness, another prisoner with clear mental issues allowed to roam free instead of being confined to the hospital).
"Written and directed by Yoshiyuki Tomino" I gues that explains it?
fr3@ky_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-06, 05:44   Link #140
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
to me the G-Self's design alone gave it a 'bro'-like personality, the goofy looking big eye sensors compared to its small mouth plate size, complete with its 'backwards' facing v-fin making it looking like an Oni, then its body proportions with the movements, the ED proceed to give it some sort of body language, its a Gundam that you want to give it high five with your bare hands!! its like a living SD Gundam that stepped into the gritty mainline universe!!
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Patriot's Blade is offline   Reply With Quote