AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-07, 20:44   Link #541
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Is it just me or did Chieri not seem to remember the 3? Now she's getting al little jealous of Nagisa. Sonata was great.
Old 2012-05-07, 20:58   Link #542
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars89 View Post
Is it just me or did Chieri not seem to remember the 3? Now she's getting al little jealous of Nagisa. Sonata was great.
It seems that over time, and by the nature of her upbringing Chieri became cold and distant. Apart from the usual fear of backstabbing and politics associated within the entertainment industry, I'm interested to see a backstory as to why she was trying to put some distance away from her old friends.

Anyhow, a change in role is welcome for Mayu Watanabe, as I've watched her live-action Sabadol (it's about a 30-something wallflower of a teacher who moonlights as an 18-year-old idol) comedy show. I like that an actress has to avoid being pigeonholed and add more variety and experience to her acting repertoire.
Old 2012-05-07, 21:00   Link #543
Kazu-kun

Quote:
She did remember. Heck, she saved Nagisa's life twice even though she told Nagisa that she shouldn't help her rivals (talk about being at odds with your own philosophy!!).

I really hope that contradiction doesn't mean Okada didn't put enough thought into her character....
Old 2012-05-07, 21:06   Link #544
Midonin
Last Engage

Why do we immediately jump to a problem with the writer and not with the character? People aren't that cut and dry. They can do things that they might disagree with, for various reasons.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 21:13   Link #545
mochichan

Quote:
Yeah she did seem confuse as to why the Kirara glowed for Nagisa. Since AKB, the 1st, Acchan, and 2nd, Yuko are real rival/friend too, I see Nagisa and Chieri fighting for top spot in the group.

Chieri personality has been hardened after all these yrs. I mean she even took down that soldier with the butt of the gun like a boss lol Probably got some combat training during all those yrs too.
It would be interesting to see the differences between her and the innocent Nagisa

And I agree.
People contradict their believes all the time
Seriously even if you say you're rival with someone, if she's in trouble, the first instinct is to help that person.
mochichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 21:35   Link #546
Raiga
tl;dr

Chieri's just tsundere~

Nah, in all seriousness, I thought that moment was very sweet. Out loud, she may go on about how "we're all rivals" and stuff, but deep down she still cares for her friend.
Old 2012-05-07, 21:46   Link #547
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
Why do we immediately jump to a problem with the writer and not with the character? People aren't that cut and dry. They can do things that they might disagree with, for various reasons.
If those reasons are explained at some point, that's ok. If not, than the only other sensible reason is a writing issue. At any rate, I did say I hope this isn't the case, so I'm not really blaming Okada just yet.
Old 2012-05-07, 21:48   Link #548
Midonin
Last Engage

I'm just wondering if we'd be having this conversation if it was a writer who was less infamous.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 21:56   Link #549
mochichan

I doubt it's a writing issues.
If Okada made Chieri stand by and not help Nagisa, she would turn into the most hated character in the show for being a heartless b*tch and Chieri isn't like that. She's a realist but she still care about her friends.
Old 2012-05-07, 21:57   Link #550
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
I'm just wondering if we'd be having this conversation if it was a writer who was less infamous.
Personally, I always focus on the writing no matter what I watch, so yeah, we probably would.

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochichan View Post
She's a realist but she still care about her friends.
But that's the thing. She helps Nagisa (twice), but when she herself needs help, she belittles Nagisa for trying to help her . If I was Nagisa, I would have told her something like "Did you hit your head or something? You're not making any fucking sense!!"

And it's just so funny that she doesn't really understand why the green critter doesn't shine with her. Of course it wouldn't shine, if you're so worried about this rivalry thing that you forgot idols are supposed to bring enjoyment to the people. Your cynical act is not entertaining at all!!

But you know, even if Chieri pretty much won the dumb stick this episode, I still like her the best.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-05-08 at 00:10.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 22:18   Link #551
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
But that's the thing. She helps Nagisa (twice), but when she herself needs help, she belittles Nagisa for trying to help her . If I was Nagisa, I would have told her something like "Did you hit or head something? You're not making any fucking sense!!"

And it's just so funny that she doesn't really understand why the green critter doesn't shine with her. Of course it wouldn't shine, if you're so worry about this rivalry thing that you forgot idols are supposed to bring enjoyment to the people. Your cynical act is not entertaining at all!!
The way I see it, this is all just to set up room for character growth. Of course what she's doing doesn't "make sense" in a way. This is only episode 2, and she's an imperfect character who obviously has some internal conflicts going on.

Heck, I can already see what the resolution will be like. Chieri and Nagisa get into a big argument over the rivalry thing again, until Nagisa finally shouts, "So why did you save me back then?!" And then Chieri realizes she's wrong, or that she's really been lying to herself because of [insert angst here], and then there will be tears and hugs and kisses and it shall be GLORIOUS.

Yes.
Old 2012-05-07, 22:41   Link #552
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xezexal View Post
I guess it began with Aquarion? Orgasm Powered Mecha! Somebody would have to be on some serious drugs to create that concept......
Dude, you are talking about the guy who pioneered the 'idol in a battlefield' concept here. Kawamori's history of crack snorting goes a long way back.

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 22:43   Link #553
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiga View Post
The way I see it, this is all just to set up room for character growth. Of course what she's doing doesn't "make sense" in a way. This is only episode 2, and she's an imperfect character who obviously has some internal conflicts going on. Heck, I can already see what the resolution will be like. Chieri and Nagisa get into a big argument over the rivalry thing again, until Nagisa finally shouts, "So why did you save me back then?!" And then Chieri realizes she's wrong, or that she's really been lying to herself because of [insert angst here], and then there will be tears and hugs and kisses and it shall be GLORIOUS.
I agree with everything you said except the glorious part. Of course Chieri has character flaws and will get her development, but the problem for me is that her internal conflict is pretty dull to being with. As it is, Chieri's character seems pretty dumb because what she doesn't understand about being an idol is ultimatly too obvious.
Old 2012-05-07, 22:49   Link #554
mochichan

Quote:
As it is, Chieri's character seems pretty dumb because what she doesn't understand about being an idol is ultimatly too obvious.
Being an idol is not just about entertaining. Behind the scene, there's always girls fighting each other because the top spot is what most people want. But at the same time, you are competing with your own friends so Chieri's point of view is pretty realistic.
Old 2012-05-07, 22:57   Link #555
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
Dude, you are talking about the guy who pioneered the 'idol in a battlefield' concept here. Kawamori's history of crack snorting goes a long way back.

30+ years and counting lol

And we love him all the more for that

About episode 2, I think I'll stick with this show. I'm surprised, but for some reason this show managed to grab me. I don't know how or why, but something in this anime got to me and made me want to stick around with it.

Also, Nagisa FTW
Old 2012-05-07, 23:01   Link #556
xizro345
King's Justice

I guess I can't understand much the Okada discussion, as I tend to judge on a "work-by-work" basis in general, as there are very few directors I dislike and like. Okada's work on BRS was pretty much awful, but here seems more suited to the overall absurd concept.
Someone mentioned this show being similar to Macross in certain aspects: while there are similarities, it's different, luckily, otherwise I wouldn't have even watched it. In general I think Kawamori hasn't really done anything that I really liked (including Macross), so I guess this is an exception...
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 23:20   Link #557
sa547
*Author

Just a report that a mutual friend made that I would like to quote:
Quote:
In Japan I find at least 2 magazines which published special AKB0048 edition and I am reading one of them. Apparently Mari, who wrote the screenplay, is a big AKB fan and she reminiscenced how she was so impressed with the performance by team K right after the big earthquake when even in AKB theater little light or stage works were deployed (in order to save electricity) that she could not stop crying. She said she has put in that part of her experience into the anime...
Old 2012-05-07, 23:31   Link #558
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mochichan View Post
Being an idol is not just about entertaining. Behind the scene, there's always girls fighting each other because the top spot is what most people want. But at the same time, you are competing with your own friends so Chieri's point of view is pretty realistic.
The problem is her mind-set. She's not realistic, she's cynic. It can't be helped if they're all rivals, but there's no point worrying about that.

For example, in professional soccer, all the players in a team are constantly "competing" with each other to be starters. But you know, the moment you start to worry about this so much that you forget that all the other players are also your team-mates, that's when your performance will begin to drop and you'll probably end up as a bench-warmer.

tl;dr you have to stop worrying about the rivalry shit and focus on your own thing. I'm pretty sure it's the same even for idols.

If Chieri put her pointless worries aside and just focused on doing her best she'd probably have that damn critter shining in no time.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2012-05-08 at 00:12.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-07, 23:35   Link #559
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
The whole second half of this episode had me going "I have no idea what I just watched.....but all I know is I want more" which is pretty much the same reaction I had after watching aquarion evol so the Kawagari/Okada combo has struck again.

And sure Okada's gonna get mentionned a lot,when you see how much she's being praised I'd understand why people would want hold her liable.
Old 2012-05-07, 23:38   Link #560
mochichan

I'm just so happy Otakus are actually having positive reaction to this anime...

And I see.......So she spoke from her experience with AKB
I appreciate her efforts and since she is an AKB fan herself, I trust her script.....so yeah I'm not worry about this how :3

Quote:
The problem is her mind-set. She's not realistic, she's cynic. It can't be helped if they're all rivals, but there's no point worrying about that.

For example, in professional soccer, all the players in a team are constantly "competing" with each other to be starters. But you know, the moment you start to worry about this so much that you forget that all the other players are also your team-mates, that's when your performance will begin to drop and you'll probably end up as a bench-warmer.

tl;dr you have stop worrying about the rivalry shit and focus on your own thing. I'm pretty sure it's the same even for idols.

If Chieri put her pointless worries aside and just focused on doing her best she'd probably have that damn critter shining in no time.
I think what you said will end up put in play
Chieri will get scold for not being a team player by the senior AKB members, they'll teach her the value of teamworks, friendship, and rainbow unicorn and all that, and then everyone will end up being a friend

She's conflicted right now but I don't see it as a big deal because if she did leave Nagisa behind, she would look extremely heartless. Her saving Nagisa could just be gut reaction when you see someone in trouble, you would most likely want to help them instead of leaving them behind.
Anyway the next ep would show more of her personality so we just have to wait.

Last edited by mochichan; 2012-05-07 at 23:49.

Tags
action-adventure, idols, musical anime