AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-13, 03:20   Link #1
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Shin Sekai Yori - Character Discussion - Squealer/Yakomaru

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Squealer/Yakomaru related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Shin Sekai Yori fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.

• Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.

• Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.

• Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.

• Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.

• Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2013-01-13, 04:35   Link #2
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
At least one was accepted.

Lets get started.

Squealer, I never thought he would be that important until now. I thought he was just the "side kick" of that possum or fox, forgot his name but, man.. he becomes more irritating and interesting at the same time. He is very smart and very manipulative....

I becoming anxious whenever I see him... He always seems to be going to the bad side.
Old 2013-01-13, 14:48   Link #3
kuromitsu

The more I think about Squealer the more I like him. As a villain, he's reaching almost Shakespearean heights, and he's definitely one of the most intersting characters, if not the most interesting.
Old 2013-01-13, 19:38   Link #4
LuxorMG
ItadakiMAKO

Well now I wouldn't call him Shakespearean just yet, but he certainly has the potential to be one of the most fascinating characters this year.
Old 2013-01-14, 23:51   Link #5
Arkeus

Squealer's definitely less interesting than most other characters like Satory or Shun or Yomiko. (And obviously saki, who is awesome).

He is, however, the first real 'Antagonist' we see. All other characters we saw were just part of the machine, or simply trying to cope as best as they could.

Squealer, though.... well, watching him being his Evil, Evil assholish self is going to pull at my heartstrings.
Old 2013-01-15, 00:04   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I don't think he's evil, but I don't think he's good either. His actions don't look close to any sort of malevolence as, from what we can see, he's doing it truly for the betterment of his colony's prosperity. At the same time, he's not above doing certain things some POVs might see as evil if it is necessary, as with their treatment of their former queen.
Old 2013-01-15, 00:22   Link #7
Raviel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
I don't think he's evil, but I don't think he's good either. His actions don't look close to any sort of malevolence as, from what we can see, he's doing it truly for the betterment of his colony's prosperity. At the same time, he's not above doing certain things some POVs might see as evil if it is necessary, as with their treatment of their former queen.
I have to agree that he isn't necessarily evil, but he's had a taste of power and now he definitely wants more of it.

He's more an overly ambitious politician then anything else. (Of course we all know what overly ambitious politicians can do )
Old 2013-01-15, 00:31   Link #8
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

He's closer to the observation of how power corrupts, especially for those who aren't prepared when they get it.

Unless of course, this has been his intention all along.
Old 2013-01-15, 02:04   Link #9
Arkeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
He's closer to the observation of how power corrupts, especially for those who aren't prepared when they get it.

Unless of course, this has been his intention all along.
That's how he has been portrayed in the anime, at least. He was always about manipulating the ones above him in order to get more power, and if things get rough run away and save his own hide.

He is the perfect example of a smart, ambitious man who not only lobotomize his enemies for more power, but recognize he needs to better his people's over-all power if his ambitions could work.
Old 2013-01-19, 09:26   Link #10
Kheve

Well he isnt really a villian per se.

Old 2013-01-19, 09:30   Link #11
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kheve View Post
Well he isnt really a villian per se.
He's a good example of an adverse reaction of democracy.

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-01-19 at 17:26.
Old 2013-01-19, 17:09   Link #12
◕‿‿◕

Send a message via AIM to AvatarST Send a message via MSN to AvatarST
Squealer is seriously unnerving. He's very manipulative and seems like he's not above doing whatever it takes, no matter how horrible, to fulfill his objectives.

What I'm not sure of is if his objectives are just attaining more power and glory for himself, or he's doing it for his people. Both ways, his methods are really questionable...
Old 2013-01-20, 02:39   Link #13
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST View Post
Squealer is seriously unnerving. He's very manipulative and seems like he's not above doing whatever it takes, no matter how horrible, to fulfill his objectives.

What I'm not sure of is if his objectives are just attaining more power and glory for himself, or he's doing it for his people. Both ways, his methods are really questionable...
Against the esper society? nah....the only people you can sympathize with here are Group One. Squealer's no more horrible than the villagers
Old 2013-01-27, 10:16   Link #14
Kirarakim

It's early in the year but as of now he is competing with Makashima (from Psycho Pass) as the best villain/antagonist of the year.
Old 2013-01-27, 10:20   Link #15
Repelsteeltju
DRRR!!

You all mad? Yakomaru is the HERO destined to end decades of molerat slavery. He will tear those false gods from their pedestal, he and his people shall inherit the earth while simultaneously ending the corruption of the land caused by the overflowing uncontrolled cantuspowers of those who call themselves human.

Because really; shouldn't all intelligent individuals be given equal rights?
Old 2013-01-27, 10:31   Link #16
Kirarakim

Yakomaru is in no way a hero. I am not saying the humans are treating the queerrats right. I never said the queerats themselves were villains, I also see them as victims.
but that is a separate issue from Yakomaru.

Yakomaru will do anything to get what he wants and not just manipulate the humans but also turn on his own kind. I don't think Yakomaru necessarily cares about the rights of his kind, from what I see he only cares about himself and his own hide. He's despicable in every way.
Old 2013-01-27, 12:14   Link #17
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repelsteeltju View Post
You all mad? Yakomaru is the HERO destined to end decades of molerat slavery.
Yakomaru would have been a Hero if he have a word of honor and not a complete liar and a hypocrite.
Old 2013-01-27, 12:19   Link #18
Ringil

You don't need to be honorable to be a hero :P. On the other hand, Yakomaru is clearly the creepiest guy ever.
Old 2013-01-27, 12:22   Link #19
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringil View Post
You don't need to be honorable to be a hero :P. On the other hand, Yakomaru is clearly the creepiest guy ever.
I think part of that is because of his face/body. Had Squealer been a bishounen instead of an ugly bakenezumi, the reactions would be quite different.
Old 2013-01-27, 12:32   Link #20
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I think part of that is because of his face/body. Had Squealer been a bishounen instead of an ugly bakenezumi, the reactions would be quite different.
Dunno, he would be still a creepy guy. Just, you know, a pretty one. Creepy bishounen aren't particularly rare...
Closed Thread

Tags
characters