AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2009-04-05, 15:40   Link #201
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

That was a very good introductory episode, I found the characters instantly likeable and the way things were directed was quite well done.

I must thank Quarkboy for the primer to the game. I have no idea of the actual mechanics involved, but at least the terminology doesn't sound too much like gibberish to me.

However, the character design for some of the girls seems directly taken from Strike Witches...
Saki -> Yoshika
Hisa -> Minna
Yuuki -> Francesca
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 15:50   Link #202
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Well, let me talk about the wrong bit, at least.

There is no official English terminology for a lot of Japanese mahjong terms, so by convention the online communities just use the Japanese/Chinese terms rather than the much eschewed English terminology for American "mahjongg" like pung/kung/chow. I mean these aren't even the Chinese terms...I know for a fact Chi is called "Sic".
By your own admission there's no "accepted" english terminology for Japanese mahjong terms, but there is the document I linked above that is a complete, consistent set of rules with a consistent set of terminology. Leaving everything in abbreviated Japanese just makes things even more opaque to someone who has no idea how to play. Which is more intuitive for an English speaker, a "Menhon tsumo" or a "Concealed half flush tsumo"? Sure, a translation note is probably needed for both, but in one case the person might actually remember what it means the next time.

Quote:
On top of these weird, confusing and often inter-mixed terms, which frankly would have simplified the subs tremendously and shortened the number of lines, they also got a few aspects of game mechanics wrong.

"Dealer gets double, pays double?"

That's rather misleading. Dealers get 1.5x points on both Rons and Tsumos, but pay 1.5x the hand value (minipoints - lol) when hit by Tsumos. So for a non-dealer Haneman, 12K, the dealer pays 4K while the non-dealers pay 2K. In this case the dealer pays double but only because it's a limit. This is never the case for Rons.

So dealers get 1.5x the payoff when they win, but lose double the hand value when hit by an enemy Tsumo for limit hands.

There's other nitpick stuff but I have to watch again to be sure.
By gets double, pays double, that's referring to the payment per player, not the overall point total. So it's pretty much correct. A non-dealer tsumo gets 4 times the base score because two players pay once and east pays double, and an east tsumo gets 6, because each player pays double.
It's perfectly correct and the simplest way to sum up the rule.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 15:53   Link #203
kyouray
2D > 3D

First episode was pleasant and close to the manga. I should learn a little Mahjong to enjoy better the show.
Healthy Nodoka is love
Old 2009-04-05, 16:03   Link #204
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 16:32   Link #205
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
By your own admission there's no "accepted" english terminology for Japanese mahjong terms, but there is the document I linked above that is a complete, consistent set of rules with a consistent set of terminology. Leaving everything in abbreviated Japanese just makes things even more opaque to someone who has no idea how to play. Which is more intuitive for an English speaker, a "Menhon tsumo" or a "Concealed half flush tsumo"? Sure, a translation note is probably needed for both, but in one case the person might actually remember what it means the next time.
#mahjong has been working to get an official English document for non-Japanese speaking players. Our work at http://arcturus.su/tenhou/ is pretty much second to none.

I don't really trust using an European rule site as a proxy for Japanese style, though they are very similar. At that, iirc EMA's official cooperative is with MahjongTime, who used the wrong terminology and game mechanics for YEARS. I know, I used to write in to them about Toudai-Shiki corrections on almost a daily basis. xd

On the jargon, I disagree. It is far easier to introduce jargon than to spell out everything each and every time. Especially when you have very long hands like

Riichi, Iipatsu, Menzen Tsumo, Tan Yao, Sanshoku, Pinfu, Dora 6.

Riichi, first round win, all concealed, no terminals, three colour chow, pinfu, six dora? Saying it out-loud is perhaps not that bad, but putting it on a screen is too much. It is especially good to use jargon when Saki's signature move is the Rinjan ('winning off of a draw from the dead wall during a kan?'), and other terms are still kept in like Dora and Riichi as well.

Quote:
By gets double, pays double, that's referring to the payment per player, not the overall point total. So it's pretty much correct. A non-dealer tsumo gets 4 times the base score because two players pay once and east pays double, and an east tsumo gets 6, because each player pays double.

It's perfectly correct and the simplest way to sum up the rule
Oh, I see.

But only because you pointed that out.

If even an advanced player can get confused at how they're trying to summarize the game mechanics, I can only imagine someone with no familiarity getting even more confused since the requirement for that "simple" generalization was for hand values and Tsumos, which wasn't clear in the actual show.

Also, I've got to ask Quarkboy...just out of curiosity, and by popular demand.

Have you read Tom Sloper?
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 16:36   Link #206
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

NODOKA-CHAN!!! I want to be embraced too!!!

well I decided to try to relearn the game but when your at my age one doesn't soak up info like before

I only slightly understood like 1% lol

but then even if I don't get whats going on, I'm still gonna watch and enjoy this series, me loves Nodoka-chwwan!!!
Old 2009-04-05, 16:40   Link #207
qmeister
Tsukkomi power!

I just know the Student Congress President is going to be awesome, and Saki herself will probably have greater and greater Crowning Moments of Awesome.
qmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 16:40   Link #208
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
I think it'll be like Hikaru no Go and Shion no Ou where 99% of viewers will have nary an idea of how the actual game is played, even after watching the final episode. And that is not important to enjoy the show because you can get a feel for the gameplay without it, though I can appreciate you guys debating this in a public forum so us Mahjongg virgins can have some understanding of the gameplay.
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 16:41   Link #209
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:

Have you read Tom Sloper?
Only after he somewhat angrily posted a link to his own blog (I suspect) on the CR forums.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-04-05, 16:57   Link #210
Penn
元帥

Lightbulb

Quote:
Only after he somewhat angrily posted a link to his own blog (I suspect) on the CR forums.
I'm pretty sure they were trolling you and the only reason you didn't know was because you think those terms are acceptable.
Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 17:02   Link #211
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penn View Post
I'm pretty sure they were trolling you and the only reason you didn't know was because you think those terms are acceptable.
Feel free to do better, I don't really care.
Sam Pinansky
Old 2009-04-05, 17:05   Link #212
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I think Tom Sloper on CR was a troll, simply because I don't think he has a blog...but suffice to say, it's a funny matter either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
I think it'll be like Hikaru no Go and Shion no Ou where 99% of viewers will have nary an idea of how the actual game is played, even after watching the final episode. And that is not important to enjoy the show because you can get a feel for the gameplay without it, though I can appreciate you guys debating this in a public forum so us Mahjongg virgins can have some understanding of the gameplay.
I agree for HnG and maybe SnO, but shows like Akagi and Saki are very mechanics based. Rather than the game being an accessory to the plot, the plot revolves around them.
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 17:28   Link #213
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Nodoka =

This one's a keeper.
My sudden liking to pink-haired girls.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 18:09   Link #214
BiFr0st

Haha, that running scene in the rain was such a ripoff from Hikaru no Go when Akira started chasing after Hikaru.
BiFr0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 18:16   Link #215
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
I think it'll be like Hikaru no Go and Shion no Ou where 99% of viewers will have nary an idea of how the actual game is played, even after watching the final episode. And that is not important to enjoy the show because you can get a feel for the gameplay without it....
As someone who has read a couple of volumes of the manga, I agree with this. I have played majiang a couple of times (with my brother-in-law looking over my shoulder and ordering me what to do), but I really don't remember much -- and I still have enjoyed the manga and ep1.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 18:32   Link #216
Littm
ちょうど楽しみなさい
*IT Support

Great episode ! Sometimes Gonzo can produce rather good anime. Now waiting for the next episode.
Littm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-05, 23:07   Link #217
Ash Falls Town

Saki is a show with too much fanservice which I can't understand at all...

All in all it looks like we have a winner here.
I love all the supporting cast and I assume I'll feel the same about Saki soon enough.
Characters being anal about their titles are one of my favorite jokes and the taco girl reminds me of Yaya.
Also in spite of the fanservice being very unsubtle it didn't cause me to flinch in embarrassment. Not even the wet shirt scene.
Old 2009-04-05, 23:42   Link #218
whitepearl
Dietrich fan #681675

Send a message via AIM to whitepearl Send a message via MSN to whitepearl
Am I the only one slightly disturbed that they don't play with the rule of furiten?

It seemed implied that President thought Saki could've won more points if she passed up a regular 5 Pin in favor of a red dora 5 pin....the rule of furiten prevents players from choosing who they can declare "ron" against--once you pass, you forfeit the right to win unless you get a tsumo, where you draw the tile yourself.

I thought the first episode was okay...definitely a fanservicey show. Those looking for more pure mahjong should watch Akagi instead.

Twitter
whitepearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-04-06, 01:19   Link #219
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmeister View Post
I just know the Student Congress President is going to be awesome, and Saki herself will probably have greater and greater Crowning Moments of Awesome.
Bingo.
Actually, every girl has their own awesome moment when they join National Tournament, but the Student Congress President (sorry, still can't remember her name ) is the most badass.

I feel myself is being unfaithful when watching this show. I want to hug everyone :3.
Old 2009-04-06, 01:25   Link #220
stewie0814

Hmm, this show surprised me, i wasn't expecting the art and animation to be at that level, also, like people have mentioned, some characters reminded me of people from strike witches, i'll definitely keep watching this, entertained me enough
stewie0814 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
competition, mahjong, seinen