AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2009-12-20, 14:25   Link #21521
Puffendahl
Että koko kokkoko?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
JIf there is something English is hard is in the pronunciation, as it is no a phonetic language.
I have to agree on this one. I don't have too much trouble with my English when it comes to writing (and have learned a lot by just reading around instead of intensive studying), but do I get nervous when I actually have to talk to someone in person! Even if I know how a word is supposed to sound, things like actually putting the stress where it belongs can be surprisingly hard (mostly because the stress is almost always on the first syllable in my dear old mother tongue, of course, but still).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
There IS a variable for completing the Mikuru scenes, so, yeah. Fun times when they meet up with Haruhi again.
Urk. Wouldn't want to be in their shoes when that happens
Puffendahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 16:42   Link #21522
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
English is really easy to learn, at least the learning curve doesn't have a rather large "slow beginning." The language is However, in my experience, learning English plateaus rather quickly as one get into the who vs whom, or when to use ",", ";" and ":", or properly matching a pronoun with what the pronoun refers to or even comparisons. The last two examples are actually readily found. I'm having trouble thinking of concrete example to demonstrate my point.

For kicks:

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 17:45   Link #21523
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon4dudes View Post
However, in my experience, learning English plateaus rather quickly as one get into the who vs whom, or when to use ",", ";" and ":", or properly matching a pronoun with what the pronoun refers to or even comparisons.
Even native English speakers have trouble with that stuff, man.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 17:48   Link #21524
GDB

Quote:
Even native English speakers have trouble with that stuff, man.
Native English speakers often seem to have trouble with "your" vs "you're", "they're" vs "their", and "its" vs "it's."

Also, a lot of people seem to not know how to use punctuation with quotation marks.
GDB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 18:18   Link #21525
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Native English speakers often seem to have trouble with "your" vs "you're", "they're" vs "their", and "its" vs "it's."

Also, a lot of people seem to not know how to use punctuation with quotation marks.
I blame American English grammar rules. They're devoid of common sense.
WordShaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 18:31   Link #21526
vivify93

Send a message via MSN to vivify93
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB
Also, a lot of people seem to not know how to use punctuation
This statement is far more accurate when ended here.

Only usually non-extremist anime nerds seem to know how to use punctuation. Everyone else forgets everything except question marks and exclaimation points exist, and when they are remembered, they're used in excess.

"omg did u no ?????????????????????????????????????? im so happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
Old 2009-12-20, 18:34   Link #21527
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassupimviet View Post
I blame American English grammar rules. They're devoid of common sense.
It's because English is a bastard tongue of various other language's.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 21:46   Link #21528
dragon4dudes
Uncountable rationality

Send a message via MSN to dragon4dudes
There is also "its" and "it's" and the "?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!" thing.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so. Douglas Adams
Where facts are few, experts are many. Donald R. Gannon

void foo() {foo();} // Can you guess what this line of code does?
dragon4dudes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-20, 22:38   Link #21529
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
When going to school, and first year of College, I heard a lot of different French teachers say that it's easier to learn French than it is to learn English. I don't know how English compares to the other languages, but vis a vis French, it seems to be harder (from what I've heard).

One of the issues with English is that we have often have a plethora of different words for the same basic meaning (i.e. wonderful, marvelous, splendid, excellent, magnificent, etc...; awful, terrible, horrible, horrific, tragic, etc...).

Now, there may be a very nuanced difference with some of these words, but in actual everyday use, they're totally interchangable.

I've heard it said that most other languages don't have the same immense variety of words for the same basic meaning.
Old 2009-12-20, 22:43   Link #21530
besieger
Fabulous Shadowy Advisor

Speaking English is easier than my mother tongue. Writing English, however, is harder than my mother tongue.
besieger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 00:11   Link #21531
swtrooper42
Melancholic Swim Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Sometimes it's just apostrophes in general.

Close Curtains, Thwart Snipers
Sameo, Paladin of Legend
swtrooper42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 00:36   Link #21532
vedicardi
Well I FEEL normal..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jintor View Post
I've been asking around, and only native English speakers say that. : |
Maybe you could say it's one of the hardest to perfect. There are just so many ways to mess up if you weren't born with the language.

Particularly in writing.
vedicardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 01:47   Link #21533
scify
Sometimes minor editor

Send a message via MSN to scify
Well, now that I seem to have accidentally started a major discussion...

@The English is hard/English is easy crowd: I agree with dragon4dudes's graph. I also posit that most of America is stuck somewhere in the middle of the hump.

The problem I often see with English is that, as Heatth pointed out, it lacks a lot of the grammatical structure that other languages have, which makes it initially simpler to learn but creates a lot of oddball nuances (hanged versus hung, for a fun discussion of holdouts from Middle English). This also tends to make it difficult for native English speakers to learn other languages if they do not begin to do so at a (relatively) young age or have a knack for it.

Then you get into the issue of the development of regional syntactical and grammatical variations (which at least do not yet seem to be as deep as the Arabic regional variations) and things go to pot.
Shadow takes all.
scify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 02:11   Link #21534
Jintor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vedicardi View Post
Maybe you could say it's one of the hardest to perfect. There are just so many ways to mess up if you weren't born with the language.

Particularly in writing.
Well it's not so much being born with it as just growing up learning it. I spoke exclusively Chinese until 5 years of age and now I'm goddamn radical at English (and can barely speak Chinese).
Jintor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 02:18   Link #21535
WordShaker

I can attest for that. Just replace Chinese with Vietnamese and, well, add a couple of ESL experiences.
Old 2009-12-21, 05:47   Link #21536
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

ITT: Language is silly.

In other news, I have completely yet another work of craftsmanship.

Spoiler for September the Sixth, Day 5, Mikuru: Flashes In Space- Memories in Pieces (ASAHINA):

Ahaha.

This sequence is why you never let Haruki near women like Mikuru.

Last edited by Tyabann; 2009-12-24 at 05:27.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 05:55   Link #21537
WordShaker

Wait, what, I don't even...

Mind = blown. Excuse me as I go filter out neural ooze.
Old 2009-12-21, 06:01   Link #21538
Kogetsu Shirogane
Kneel Before Your King!

Send a message via AIM to Kogetsu Shirogane
... I'd say that it's a good example of why you never let Haruki near women period.

All in all, this was certainly fun to read. Probably fun to write, too.
WARNING: Kogetsu Shirogane cannot be held accountable for any actions taken by someone else. Potential side effects of communicating with this user include headaches, mild confusion, insanity, delirium, and jumping into fires. Do not expose this user to sunlight or water or feed this user after midnight.
... so you think you're a king now...
Kogetsu Shirogane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 07:13   Link #21539
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
When going to school, and first year of College, I heard a lot of different French teachers say that it's easier to learn French than it is to learn English. I don't know how English compares to the other languages, but vis a vis French, it seems to be harder (from what I've heard).
I seriously doubt that. English seens very easier then French to me. Even if French is relativelly similar to Portuguese (it is the most different of the Latin languages, tough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
One of the issues with English is that we have often have a plethora of different words for the same basic meaning (i.e. wonderful, marvelous, splendid, excellent, magnificent, etc...; awful, terrible, horrible, horrific, tragic, etc...).

Now, there may be a very nuanced difference with some of these words, but in actual everyday use, they're totally interchangable.

I've heard it said that most other languages don't have the same immense variety of words for the same basic meaning.
I also doubtthe last statement. Idon't know enough of any other language to say, but it is just like that in Portuguese.

Look some exemples with the "same"(or similar) set of words: maravilhoso(a), esplêndido(a), exelente, magnífico(a), incrível...; terrível, horrível, horroroso, trágico, medonho... I can only imagine it is the same in most languages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by besieger View Post
Speaking English is easier than my mother tongue. Writing English, however, is harder than my mother tongue.
I am curious about your mother tongue. It is just the oposite as it is for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtrooper42 View Post
Sometimes it's just apostrophes in general.
Spoiler for silly image:
Curiously, I find apostrophes pretty easy. You put then to "replace" a letter that goes missing due to contractions right? Pretty easy to remeber where to put. The exeption is the "'s" to indicate possession. But I can't even imagine how someone would mistake it for the plural 's'.

About English being hard to master. It might be true, but so is for most, if not all, languages. Fortunetly, people do not need to master it to hold a decent conversation. Most English native speakers haven't mastered it (as most people of any language have mastered their mother tongue) and most casual books are in a simpler variation (even if well writen, it is easier to read then to write). One just need to learn enough to easily understand most of things and be easly understood by most people. This is true for any language.

Quote:
ITT: Language is silly.
Truest statement so far.

Quote:
In other news, I have completely yet another work of craftsmanship.

Spoiler for September the Sixth, Day 5, Mikuru: Flashes In Space- Memories in Pieces (ASAHINA):

Ahaha.

This sequence is why you never let Haruki near women like Mikuru.
Well, this was funny. Mikuru should be thankful Haruhi is not a man... Haruki should also be glad Mitsuuru is not a girl, his changes if Kyon-chan would be rether slim otherwise.

Anyway, this scene was funy, hilarious. Heck, why you don't just give up this silly VN thing and start a fanfic with all female cast exept Haruki? It would be hilarious.
Heatth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-12-21, 07:45   Link #21540
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
lol it's it Mikuru or Mitsuuru XD

noooo must not quit XD

Tags
genderbender, seitenkan