Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-12-16, 07:28   Link #101
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakubeX2 View Post
The game will be a long time seller from word-of-mouth publicity once people starts picking PS3 hardware for the likes of God Of War III and Uncharted 2, based on how the sales in Japan fare. And it will be even more well recieved early next year if the anime turns out to be good.
I think the issue is more than that. It's not just about it being released for one console either. If this trend continues then I doubt even going multiplatform would improve its profitability. Sega just might even lose more money in porting it. (Hmmm, maybe a Wii release in Japan would do wonders.)

This generation of gaming is arguably a Western one, where shooters such as CoD, Halo, Gears and Resistance have become the standards of today worldwide. It's even more difficult for a tactical Japanese game, turn-based no less, to attract the attention of gamers in this gen.

What is its situation in Japan right now by the way?
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 07:57   Link #102
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
What is its situation in Japan right now by the way?
Some 40,000 copies sold on it's launch day and it goes on to sell around 200,000 the last I heard about 1-2 months back.
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 01:16   Link #103
yongshun

got this game for a while now but just started to really get into it, cameos of Vyse and Aika was funny, but I wonder what happened to Fina? is she in this game too? and I cant believe that this is from Sega with all the crap they have been churning out this was a pleasent surprise.
yongshun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 05:57   Link #104
kamikazex

played the demo...it was awesome just bought it today looking forward to playing it later tonight
kamikazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 09:01   Link #105
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by yongshun View Post
got this game for a while now but just started to really get into it, cameos of Vyse and Aika was funny, but I wonder what happened to Fina? is she in this game too? and I cant believe that this is from Sega with all the crap they have been churning out this was a pleasent surprise.
She's not with Vyse and Aika, but she's the medic of Squad 7. Her name isn't not given, but that's her alright.

In my opinion SEGA should hype this more than, let's say, Sonic which has been crap for a long time now.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 21:24   Link #106
yongshun

Quote:
She's not with Vyse and Aika, but she's the medic of Squad 7. Her name isn't not given, but that's her alright.

In my opinion SEGA should hype this more than, let's say, Sonic which has been crap for a long time now.
Ahhhh damn didn't even know that, wasn't paying attention enough I guess lol. Although I wish there was a Skys of Arcadia 2 this is just as good. I need to find a good statagy for chapter 5 the damn Lt. at the base is killing all of my people.
Old 2008-12-19, 07:41   Link #107
HurricaneHige
Uguu~

Quote:

Her name is given in the personnel profile =p
Old 2008-12-19, 09:00   Link #108
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Well its good to know that some mainstream notice is being given to Valkyria Chronicles. G4's X-Play put Valkyria Chronicles on its best games for PS3 list and games to to get for your PS3 this holiday season. This will defenitely help in some respect at getting attention.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-20, 08:37   Link #109
kamikazex

it's been two days and im on mission 12. this game is officially my #1 favorite game of all time
kamikazex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 05:51   Link #110
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Has anyone ever noticed how loaded this game is with Dutch references? I mean, after a few hours of playing at a friends, I can remember from the top of my head the map in the intro, littered with Dutch places, the Dutch landscape, windmills included, and even Alicia's head decoration is reminicent of the old Dutch clothing.

Quite amusing, really.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-23, 19:39   Link #111
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

All the towns not only look Dutch, but have Dutch names.
GuidoHunter_Toki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-29, 20:49   Link #112
yongshun

finally beat the game and I really really like it the only let down was the quick and easy final boss fight I dont see how anyone could not get an A rank for that one.
Old 2008-12-30, 06:15   Link #113
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuidoHunter_Toki View Post
All the towns not only look Dutch, but have Dutch names.
Nah, some of those are actually german names, like Bruhl (Brühl, yeah Phantasialand ^^). If anything the fictional location in the game is a mixture of most mainland european countries.
Cannot wait for the DLC next month, i hope.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-30, 10:46   Link #114
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

There certainly isn't a fixed identifiable country. On the map the shape only vaguely resembles the Eastern European countries. But the high amount of Dutch place names, especially considering how small a country the Netherlands is, and the countryside brings a smile to my face.
Old 2008-12-30, 17:15   Link #115
ZeroForever

fun game beat in a few weeks ago, the games nations are clearly based on european nations in the WW1/2 era. Though i've been wondering how the valkyrie nations disappeared/fell apart in the past as after a crap load of scenes showing how much they rape everything it's just like... huh? why did there nation disappear?

kinda meh about the DLC as after a certain point the game isn't really that hard anymore and the extras become a moot point, other then random AI movements to one shot the einhaiser most of the fights it's easy to abuse the AI generic and sometimes retarded movements.

As pretty much most of the hard fights are hard simply due to the overwhelming numbers/power of the oppnent which don't mean anything when they can't utilize it.
The last guy i can imagine would be hard if you had no clue what to do, the problem is if you know exactly what to do it's wayyyy to easy just to 1 shot him with the teammate crossfire and command boosts.
Old 2008-12-30, 18:56   Link #116
Sides

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroForever View Post
kinda meh about the DLC as after a certain point the game isn't really that hard anymore and the extras become a moot point, other then random AI movements to one shot the einhaiser most of the fights it's easy to abuse the AI generic and sometimes retarded movements.

As pretty much most of the hard fights are hard simply due to the overwhelming numbers/power of the oppnent which don't mean anything when they can't utilize it.
The last guy i can imagine would be hard if you had no clue what to do, the problem is if you know exactly what to do it's wayyyy to easy just to 1 shot him with the teammate crossfire and command boosts.
Really? I thought the Hard EX mode looks challenging and playing Selvaria and her squad sounds fun, and of course Edy's Squad.

Hard EX PV from the jpn version http://youtube.com/watch?v=ds8Y5jCMufs
Edy DLC PV http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=5auaH79pjwo
Selvaria DLC PV http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PMfIrWg8M28
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 08:00   Link #117
Father Hentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
There certainly isn't a fixed identifiable country. On the map the shape only vaguely resembles the Eastern European countries. But the high amount of Dutch place names, especially considering how small a country the Netherlands is, and the countryside brings a smile to my face.
Sorry to disappoint you but the most names are German. The problems are the vocals which the German alphabet has but other countries don't have e.g. ü which is written with ue or only u in the game.

The game setup reminds me a bit of Asterix and Obelix, a famous Comic in Europe. The big Roman Empire with Cesar against a small Gallian village which he could not conquer.

Btw. the color scheme of the Empirian uniform is the color of the German troops during the Napoleonic War of Liberation:
Black Uniform, Golden Button and bottom part of the sleeves in red. See Uniform of Berthold.

Last edited by Father Hentai; 2008-12-31 at 08:14.
Father Hentai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-31, 09:25   Link #118
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Hentai View Post
Sorry to disappoint you but the most names are German. The problems are the vocals which the German alphabet has but other countries don't have e.g. ü which is written with ue or only u in the game.
Really? German? And yet, being Dutch I'm pretty sure I recognize places like Texel, Westerschelde, Hengelo, Sneek and Delfzijl among many others as places found on the Dutch borders in our world.

Now don't get me wrong, by no means am I saying this game takes place in the Netherlands. For one, there's the fact that the country only vaguely resembles any of our countries. The names are also all over the place, and then there's the fact that it's named Galia, a blatant French reference if there ever was one. It's a fictional world, there is no way it should be any one country. I'm just saying that I enjoy the Dutch references. The names of the places, the countryside, and even the clothing (Speaking of uniforms, the Dutch also wore blue uniforms during that era, just like the federation. ) is reminiscent of the Netherlands during the first world war. Not to mention that historically, the Netherlands also kept a neutral stance during the first world war.

The Netherlands rarely get mentioned in things like this, the only anime that use Dutch references are feudal era ones (Strike Witches took place in England, Germany and France played big roles in it, and despite that a lot of the Neuroi attacks would have come from the Netherlands, it never got mentioned T_T) and games never mention them at all, so you can't blame me for enjoying a game filled to the brink with them.

Last edited by Keroko; 2008-12-31 at 09:48.
Old 2008-12-31, 10:50   Link #119
Father Hentai

Haven' t played through the complete game yet but you may be correct in some scenes. Still the anta- and protagonists are mostly German, English, Frensh or even Spanish (Cordelia). Still I recognized a little bit of the Dutch when I saw a Windmill . Just a small joke between Germans and Dutch. No personal offense now.

Regarding the uniform. The Netherlands were part of the French Realm and explains the Tricolore. :P
Old 2008-12-31, 11:16   Link #120
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Quote:
Haven' t played through the complete game yet but you may be correct in some scenes. Still the anta- and protagonists are mostly German, English, Frensh or even Spanish (Cordelia). Still I recognized a little bit of the Dutch when I saw a Windmill . Just a small joke between Germans and Dutch. No personal offense now.
None taken, windmills are a Dutch symbol after all. I take pride in them.

Quote:
Regarding the uniform. The Netherlands were part of the French Realm and explains the Tricolore. :P
Not really, the Netherlands became a kingdom in 1815, and many changes to uniforms were introduced in the years to come. With the rise of William the 2nd for example, the grey parts of the uniform were replaced with blue ones. The tri-colors need not necessarily be French, as Netherlands have a red-white-blue flag as well. But considering the country is named 'Galia' they could very well have used the French occupation as reference. Nice find!

Also, I just realized another reference, though this one may not be intentional. During the second World War, the Dutch once again tried to keep their neutral position as in the first war, however this time Germany invaded nonetheless. The Germans expected to steamroll through the country within a day, not seeing much resistance possible. However, five days later they still hadn't captured the country, as the Dutch threw more and more resistance their way with each day. Only the city-devastating bombardments forced the country to surrender.

Despite the fact that we lost in the end, doesn't this sound similar?