AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Darker Than Black

Notices

View Poll Results: Darker Than Black II OAD - Episode 1 Rating
Perfect 10 33 36.67%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 34 37.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 18 20.00%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 3.33%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.11%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.11%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-02-03, 10:33   Link #61
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manji Midou View Post
More moments are needed though, they need to explain why Hei saw a naked Yin saying goodbye to him in his dream....unless he is really perverted person...
Heh, you probably just answered your own question.
Old 2010-02-03, 13:28   Link #62
Jarmel

Utterly sad that this was better than all of season 2. This is what season 2 should have been.
Old 2010-02-03, 16:37   Link #63
Equidistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I don't hate Yin. She's a very tragic character when you combine both seasons together. I'm not a Yin shipper either.

With Yin, those preview monologues in S2 gave you a hint of what she was feeling.

Both characters desired a "reset" due to their situations. Yin's situation couldn't get any worse. Shion's family got screwed. The reset was only possible with Shion and Yin cooperating with each other and Hei pulling the trigger so to speak. The by-product being Yin's son getting released onto Earth 1.0 to destroy it so that only one version of something remains. (ie in case that a "true" copy gets made with memory ability without a meteor core). So the "true" copy becomes the real Earth and Earth 1.0 disapppears from history. Sort of like what was trying to be accomplished in Noein. Getting to Paradise by crushing the bones of others. It's my theory anyways...
This was my main problem with S2's ending, you can come up with theories to explain some things, but it's hard to actually base them on things that we were actually shown, most of it is pure speculation. Also, Izanami was the one who's motivation I'm hoping we see, the OAD has already made a clear distinction between Yin and Izanami, and from the preview it looks like it'll keep developing Izanami further.

p.s. Based on some of your previous posts I got the feeling you weren't very fond of Yin, so sorry if I was mistaken there.
Old 2010-02-03, 19:11   Link #64
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantQuiteGuess View Post
p.s. Based on some of your previous posts I got the feeling you weren't very fond of Yin, so sorry if I was mistaken there.
No problem.
Old 2010-02-04, 12:09   Link #65
Battler-kun

Loved the first episode of the OAD.
Old 2010-02-06, 01:02   Link #66
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

[QUOTE=Kaoru Chujo;2897342]I may have overstated. I certainly enjoyed it as much, though. I liked Suou and her development. I liked the effect she seemed to have on Hei, helping him come back from his dark period. I liked Suou and July. I liked the fact that it was less episodic and more continuous. I loved Hanazawa Kana's acting. I was no more dissatisfied with the ending than I was with the first season's ending. And action is not one of the main things that interests me.

Gonna have to agree here for the most part.

Darker than Black, for me, has always been a series about the characters and plot, not about the action. The only thing I really have against the second season is the terrible, terrible ending, and the lack of an explanation as to how Izanagi/Izanami came to be (though I guess that's what this OAD is for). Season 2 had some good development with Suou, and although she certainly isn't Hei, Hei himself said that Suou was similar to himself at one point. So watching Season 2 was kind of like watching a precursor to Season 1. Just replace Suou with a much younger Hei, and all of the people Suou held dear to her with Bai/Pai.

That being said, good episode, gave it a 9/10. Really hoping that the following eps clear up a few of the loose ends of season 2.
Old 2010-02-06, 06:58   Link #67
straferd
Toushi

DtB gets better for each season and Yin gets cuter

9/10
Old 2010-02-08, 12:43   Link #68
tieria.erde
T-chan fan

10/10

FAR better OAD 1 compare to S2. So refreshing to see Yin - she surely evolved a lot

Liked Hei x Yin plus fight scenes which severely lacked in S2!

Wait, why the hell we had to watch S2 anyways?!?!?!
Old 2010-02-08, 13:53   Link #69
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I really loved this episode. The bond between Yin and Hei is great to watch.
Old 2010-02-09, 23:02   Link #70
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

First off, I loved the second season. That said, I enjoyed this OA(D?) a lot too, though I've always been a bit disgusted at the insinuation that there might/is something romantic brewing between Hei and Yin. I realize Yin is the embodiment of Rei-like doll girl that a certain type of person may salivate over and that has been used ad nauseum in anime for this very reason, but frankly I'm not one of them. But, to each their own.

I guess my only real disappointment is that we already know how this will end, which kind of takes a lot of the suspense out of it. I'd much rather see word that a third season was in the works.

And how sad that it wasn't really April after all. Why are my favorite characters usually the ones with only partial screen time (or any)!

Oh, and Yin is a bit freaky in her jealousy/possessiveness. Who can blame Hei for having conflicting emotions towards her by season 2. :/

All in all, I'd give it an 8. It was a bit pedestrian. Certainly not better than the OVA for season one, which was just hilarious. I'm not ashamed to admit that my 8 is probably high, simply because I'd devour anything with the label DtB on it.
Old 2010-02-10, 21:55   Link #71
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Finally got around to seeing this. Great episode. Yin was great and it was great seeing Hei kick ass with his contractor powers again.
Old 2010-02-13, 02:21   Link #72
Intranetusa
Pedites Extraordinarii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
There were enough moments in this first episode, so i'd be happy if we didn't see anymore after this point.

Still, China dress Yin. Oh how i can't wait.
Yin wearing a Manchurian-style qipao dress? Hmmm....

I better not see any dudes/transvestites wearing it like in season 2...
Old 2010-02-13, 07:14   Link #73
Suimancer

So much hate for season two . Season 2 was great for me. In terms of themes, S2 picked up what s1 has left off and further expounded them. Ryūsei no Gemini deserves its Darker than Black main title.
I loved the OAD especially how they used indirect means in conveying the emotions and motivations of the characters, which DtB had done in both seasons. Rather than tell us through explanatory/ straight to the point dialogue, they showed it to us.

I especially loved the meaningful echoes particularly that they were echoes from the last episodes of both seasons. DtB really made use of this trope, lots in s1 and a few in s2 (though it did have fewer episodes and a more continuous plot progression, event wise).

Spoiler for S1 echo:

Spoiler for S2 echo:

I particularly loved:
Spoiler:

Concerning Yin being “evil”, we are not yet sure about this, though describing her to be evil feels wrong. True, Yin seemed, imo, wanted to kill the “Amber” and she did kill a contractor, though in defense of Hei. Rather than evil, she could be seen as a victim of circumstance/fate. Note how Yin’s changes mirrors Bai’s. Both were innocent but because of their conditions, Bai becoming a contractor, Yin’s “evolution, they became killers. Both Bai and Yin were showed surrounded by contractors that they killed in s1 and s2 respectively. Both also resulted in Hei opting to kill them though their separations from Hei were different. Yin may not want it, but she is changing, for the worst…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
In fact, though, this does combine some of the tone of the first season with the softer tone of the second.
For me, both seasons have fairly the same tone, both having their share of heart-warming and cynical tones and moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeter View Post
Dammit Hei, your woman is thoughtful enough to order you all that food, at least let her walk beside you on the beach
If you’re referring to Yin’s failed attempt in holding Hei’s hand due to his “distance/distancing”, I cant really blame Hei since he saw the splitting image of Amber. Recall that towards the end, Hei got to know Amber’s feelings for him, moreover, all the things she has done was not of betrayal but of her concern for all contractors, in particular her love for Hei. I guess it put Hei in deep thought/recollection, much to the “anger” of Yin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantQuiteGuess View Post
Nice to see the Yin hating continue, but even if all that were true it's still poor execution on the part of the writers to not show that. Not knowing Shion or Yin's motivations made it hard to care about the whole earth 2.0 plan they had going.
Rather than poor execution in their part, I see it as an attempt to make us viewers think which is one of the things I loved about DtB.

One of my interpretations of S2 end concerning motivations
Spoiler:
Old 2010-02-13, 14:15   Link #74
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieria.erde View Post
10/10

FAR better OAD 1 compare to S2. So refreshing to see Yin - she surely evolved a lot

Liked Hei x Yin plus fight scenes which severely lacked in S2!

Wait, why the hell we had to watch S2 anyways?!?!?!
Because S2 is how it ends. The OADs bridge us to the ending. So we get to see how Hei and Yin got to their S2 states in the OADs.
Old 2010-02-13, 14:41   Link #75
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Because S2 is how it ends. The OADs bridge us to the ending. So we get to see how Hei and Yin got to their S2 states in the OADs.
And thank god for this OAD. Drove me crazy not knowing what happened as I watched the second season.
Old 2010-02-16, 05:56   Link #76
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Inazami is not evil. Her powers do not affect regular humans, just contractors. She's more like a force of nature, a predator.

To a lot of people in the DTB universe, ontractors are evil. Something that kills those that are considered to think like sociopaths/psychopaths may not be considered evil by most. The real problem they believe she poses is her potential to bring war. Contractors and humans will fight over her.

She turns herself in because of Hei. She is capable of killing his kind, and thus Hei himself. Humans see her as a weapon, a way to even out the playing field between contractors and humans. Contractors see her as a threat. She herself, can't control the urge to prey on contractors. She volunteers to die in order to protect Hei (aka, the only person she really knows and cares about).

Another point, Yin is not that young. The person she is based on was about 8 or so when she died. The the moon was still visible at the time. That was 10 years before DTB. Her former music teacher recognized her and didn't think she looked too young to be herself. She should be able to pass off as someone in her late teens. Kiko even hangs out with her as someone of her own age. Her cover was running a corner store, dispensing stuff like cigarettes. She should appear as someone between 16-20 years of age. She's petite, frail, and very youthful but it appears she is supposed to be around 18 or 20. Kiko treats Suou as a little kid and Suou is around 13 or 14. Kiko treated Yin as someone about her own age.

By the way, one of the big mysteries in DTB is how dolls are made. We still don't know. We know a bit about contractors but next to nothing about dolls.

Things that are interesting...
1) Inazami broke Suou's meteor fragment but... METEOR FRAGMENTS can't be broken permanently. They reassemble. And the whole experiment was to see if Suou can form and retain memories without it. She seems to be forming memories fine and dandy in Earth 2... why? If copies can't form long term memories... why can she? Why can everyone on Earth 2? Suou on Earth 2 has no lens. Is she just a regressor in this second earth? Will she "remember" her past?

2) Hei is a wild card. When Misaki went into the gate, she entered the golden plane... the one we saw at the end of season 1. Hei's powers returned and his hidden powers are galactic. We don't know if his powers were needed to jump start Earth 2. We still don't know what his blue scary aura, "the Bai" effect would have on Inazami/Inazagi. We're not quite sure if he used his "Bai inherited" powers on July and Suou. If someone is capable of changing them... he can.

The whole affair with Earth 2 brings up... Nick Hillman. The lens transported him somewhere. Where was this place?

Suou was an experiment. Earth 2 was an experiment. But... Shion is dead. My guess is that they may have tried to recreate something... Bring back Amber or Bai from the dead? Find a place to stash Heaven's gate? Suou's ending did kind of suck, if she is just forgotten in any continuation.

Oreille formed THe NEw Syndicate to fulfill Shion's plan. Shion is the male Amber. We won't know jack until we know what his end goal was.
This show is Anime "Lost."

I liked S2. It didn't have much filler and it will of set up a third season, nicely. Seems like they had a 24-26 season in mind but then decided that having Hei without powers for a full season and Suou sharing the spotlight as she was, was just too much. So they cut out the filler. It seems like it needed a few extra episodes and more "show time" on the run to make the bond between Hei, July, and Suou more realistic. Some lines seem like they would have made more sense, if we would have been given the sense that they were on the run over a few months instead of a few weeks.

What I really want to know about this OAV, is if Inazami is just an entity that possessed Yin or if it was Yin herself. If Inazami is alien then that means Yin could have survived.

Last edited by mechalord; 2010-02-17 at 09:37.
Old 2010-02-19, 01:49   Link #77
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
I liked S2. It didn't have much filler and it will of set up a third season, nicely.
While I love everything DtB, the two seasons were essentially narrated by Misaki as if she's telling a story about her past. The fact she states in her narration that she never saw Hei again at the end of season two does seem to insinuate some finality.

Of course, it's easy to get around this. The next hypothetical story arc could occur after whatever theoretical timepoint Misaki might have been ruminating (ie: narrating) from. It would cheapen the entire point of her narration from the two seasons, but would be well worth it for more DtB goodness. While, I haven't heard any word of any plans for future seasons, here's hoping!

And for confusions over Izanami, the second season borrowed very liberally from the actual Izanami/Izanagi mythos, and frankly had a heck of a lot less real questions left than say...season one.
Old 2010-02-24, 21:59   Link #78
klare

watched this so late... it is good to know exactly what happened between the 2 seasons

Yin is shown to have more feelings and emotions than a Doll suppose to have, and she started to have that power of controlling others, anyway she is so cute here

btw i like season 2 too and also hoping for another season to explain it all
Old 2010-03-01, 09:38   Link #79
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

Her narration seems more like a description of events in the immediate past to a new recruit or an old friend.

It's like she's bringing people up to date several months to a few years after the events of season 2.

"Thanks for joining our organization. You've been working for us a while now. You want to know the truth. Sit down. Let me make some coffee first. A few years ago I was a cop. I met this guy and he had super powers.
Well. He saved the world, a second time. Japan was invaded. Goro, Oreille, and me decided to open up shop to not only liberate japan but to oppose any government from pulling stuff like they've done in the past. We've only been at it for a few months and they've already, ironically enough, tagged us as the Syndicate. Syndicate used to represent the governments of the world, we oppose them. Figure that one out.

Oh, you want to know what happened to HEi? Well, I haven't seen him since then. His star is still active. He seems to have gone off the grid. And here we are. It doesn't look like much but we're going to liberate Japan. We're just getting started."

The audience is being treated as someone she trusts. She's bringing people up to date with the events. It's like a set up for season 3.
Old 2010-03-01, 11:37   Link #80
Seihai
スマイリウム

I don't wanna be picky but I think Hei's star has gone down ever since he's lost his powers in episode 2 of the second season.