Notices

Old 2009-11-21, 14:31   Link #1581
Lummie

Chapter 28 translation is out by shadow-skill on MH
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 15:36   Link #1582
Rejuvenation
Final Elysium

Read Shadow Skill's translation and it really does sound like an excellent chapter. I really like the direction things are heading in.
Rejuvenation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 16:58   Link #1583
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Just read the translation:

Spoiler:
Old 2009-11-21, 17:43   Link #1584
Sol Falling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
Just read the translation:

Spoiler:
I think Zenkichi's lack of self-esteem is sort of a natural consequence of their relationship. You're right of course (I assume; I haven't read it) with regards to the latest chapter, but to go on a tangent about Zen's self-esteem and the series' romance, if Medaka is some sort of abnormal superhuman, and Zenkichi is just a normal guy, then of course the normal guy should (rightfully) think he doesn't compare to her and doesn't deserve to be by her side (let alone her lover). I percieved some form of this absolute difference in ability from the beginning, so that's why MedakaxZen romance never interested me, and I've always been perfectly fine with their current relationship.

However, Medaka and Zen's attitudes do mix things up. After all, Medaka doesn't accept herself as a superhuman in the first place. She believes anybody can achieve anything through hard work. So while I might insist that the reality is that Medaka is out of Zen's league, Medaka herself doesn't think so. And then, of course, there is Zenkichi's determination to prove that he is worthy of being by Medaka's side. Zenkichi also believes in hard work. He's been validated to some degree by Medaka's brother, but it's still clear he is nowhere near Medaka's level.

The thing keeping Medaka and Zen apart is the objective reality of their difference in abilities. Medaka is clearly wrong--she is abnormal, her abilities are beyond the realm of anything humans can obtain through hard work. Zenkichi's situation is also hopeless--no matter how hard he works, it is fact that he can never reach Medaka's level. By believing otherwise, both Medaka and Zenkichi are rejecting reality. Perhaps on a subconscious level, Medaka's lack of attraction to Zen and Zenkichi's lack of self-esteem merely reflect that they still have some grasp on reality. However, given their coincidentally matching positions and the fact that Zen loves her and their positions as main protagonists and etc. etc. etc., I do think its kinda inevitable that Zen/Medaka will overcome this normal/abnormal vs. hard work thing and somehow get together in the future.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 17:53   Link #1585
Lummie

I agree with KLGChaos about Zen having little to no faith in himself, IN FACT - He won't achieve anything now or in the very near future if he keeps this attitude before starting the hard trial that's awaiting him along the other student council members. What's currently his main weakness? Answer: Zen is still not able to brush away the thought that he belongs the "NORMALS". Evidence can be found often in the ways how he envies those who attained a scholarship or his admiration for Medaka/other abnormals. He's comparing himself too much with them which is why he was suprised at Maguro (Abnormal) who wanted to spend his time on training a (normal) like him. Currently he should think beyond those differences and asks his mindset about certain things:

Does Medaka really need my protection despite having her own little weaknesses?
Wouldn't Medaka look up more to me if i changed my reason of "Medaka 24/7 protection" into a "Provide as much support/help to the students to achieve popularity/respect and become someone the school truly can rely on?"

And the most important, he should rely on himself instead of responding with this:

Yes, because she is Medaka-chan, she's able to...
Don't worry, leave it to Medaka-chan....
Why? Because i would only get in Medaka-chan's way if i stayed there...

If he'd change the way he thinks about the above, i'm certainly he would be a step closer to Medaka and have enough selfconfidence to handle himself out of the most upcoming hard situations. He even earned the respect of Maguro which suprised him and now.... C'mon, he was hopeless when he stood alone in front of those guards and the gate. I think he should start changing his mindset and after that his ways of training, certainly there sure have to be ways of defending yourself against a abnormal (Maguro proved this). He should focus on learning those methods instead of mindlessly boxing, even the king had to practice on doing things like walking on walls and mentioned that anyone could do things like that "with the proper training".

I hope this little journey of his was planned by the author to make him start growing little by little. Let's say making him weak/pahetic at the beginning and bringing him out as a lion at the end of the maze - just like a dungeon rpg.

PS.

Quote:
I'm more surprised by that fact that Kikaijima knows my birthday.
Ehm, anyone suspicions that Kikaijima might slowly develop feelings for Zen? Because it's weird to me that a certain girl would hold information about his birthday without having any reasons to do so. Especially after entering the gate with a blush on her face and giving him a kind of look i dunno how to describe. Or is it just me overthinking stuff? I don't mind if she would have a crush, she's pretty hot.

Last edited by Lummie; 2009-11-21 at 18:13.
Lummie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 18:00   Link #1586
Homura7

They are entering the Flask Plan, and it's a fact there's no way Zen can fight with an abnormal in equal conditions even after the training. However, that they entered there means they're not only find other abnormals but the lab where those are created.

And by the way, the box this time is full. Are all the letters content the same?
Homura7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-21, 19:09   Link #1587
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
Let's say making him weak/pahetic at the beginning and bringing him out as a lion at the end of the maze - just like a dungeon rpg.
I don't know. It would be kind of hard to find dungeon rpg character as useless as Zen. Speaking in rpg terms the only things he can beat are lvl. 1 slimes and lvl 2 mosquitoes - anything else is beyond his level of crappiness and this way goes through the bigger portion of the 'dungeon' already... (no, I don't think this will have that much of 'dungeon floors' left).
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 01:23   Link #1588
TheAlucid

The writer needs to realize that consistently promoting an image of Zen being feeble and diffident is going to make readers dislike him. Follow that up with mitigating his main character status and suddenly you have an annoying side character with all the reader's emotions invested therein.

This might be a fairly unique way to go about storytelling, but the reason why it's so unique is that it makes for a bad story and most professional writers probably want to avoid writing trash. The writer needs to give Zen some merits and give him a little more face time if he wants his manga to survive, albeit perhaps he doesn't care anymore with the success of Bakemonogatari.
TheAlucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 12:21   Link #1589
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
Ehm, anyone suspicions that Kikaijima might slowly develop feelings for Zen? Because it's weird to me that a certain girl would hold information about his birthday without having any reasons to do so. Especially after entering the gate with a blush on her face and giving him a kind of look i dunno how to describe. Or is it just me overthinking stuff? I don't mind if she would have a crush, she's pretty hot.
I think there was a chapter that was just her and Zen flirting with each other, or something close enough to that. I think it's safe to say she likes Zen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlucid View Post
The writer needs to realize that consistently promoting an image of Zen being feeble and diffident is going to make readers dislike him.
You must not read harem series . . .

Also, I think it's interesting that the door could just be beaten into submission, and that the "guards" didn't do anything to stop it from happening.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 13:34   Link #1590
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Trouble View Post
You must not read harem series . . .
How many harem main hero's are liked though? As a rule they are getting disliked a lot and they are liked only if they are not typical harem male lead characters.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 14:07   Link #1591
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I would imagine the Japanese like harem leads, or else they wouldn't continue to make them so weak, spineless, and annoying. I have no idea how many are liked by non-Japanese. I was just pointing out that there's an entire genre basically devoted to the weak male lead. Which lends itself to say that liking the male lead isn't necessary for a story to be popular and/or successful. Also, Zen looks like a god compared to every male harem lead combined.
Old 2009-11-22, 14:19   Link #1592
Arturro

Quote:
I would imagine the Japanese like harem leads, or else they wouldn't continue to make them so weak, spineless, and annoying. I have no idea how many are liked by non-Japanese. I was just pointing out that there's an entire genre basically devoted to the weak male lead. Which lends itself to say that liking the male lead isn't necessary for a story to be popular and/or successful. Also, Zen looks like a god compared to every male harem lead combined.
He looked good in first few chapters, and for a short - in chapter 27. In most cases he is so indecisive and insecure about himself so he looks pathetic. In a way he is similar to Medaka, she is too insecure about herself. Yes, you're right in most harem mangas male lead is a pathetic wimp, but Medaka Box is not a harem manga, unless you're talking about reverse harem... As of romance manga (there is an unrequited love, so technically it's a romance) don't even try to compare Zen to male protagonist of Unbalance x2 or Umi no Misaki... Or even Zero In, where female protagonist is almost as much stronger from male protagonist as Medaka from Zenkichi.

Arturro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 14:45   Link #1593
Cinocard

Quote:
I would imagine the Japanese like harem leads, or else they wouldn't continue to make them so weak, spineless, and annoying.
Aint you associating harem lead with weak male lead?

Zen was made as a normal male friend who, despite his incapability, would still understand and be side by side with the abnormal Medaka no matter what. I think that was intended to provide some drama, but it backfired totally.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 14:53   Link #1594
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Indecisive? When?

Insecure? No. He knows what he can do and what he can't do. He's realistic about his own abilities.
Old 2009-11-22, 19:04   Link #1595
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Quote:
I would imagine the Japanese like harem leads, or else they wouldn't continue to make them so weak, spineless, and annoying.
But of course, blame WW2.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 21:29   Link #1596
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Harem leads are so weak, spineless and annoying so it's easier for the majority of otaku to project themselves as the character

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 21:45   Link #1597
ZODDGUTS

New Rankings:

Quote:
2009-53 Bottom 5
Beelz
Toriko
Lili-Dog
Psyren
Medaka

http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showp...postcount=2261
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 23:45   Link #1598
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Dead last again, huh? So much for getting out of the bottom five two weeks in a row. I actually thought chapter 21 wasn't too bad, but either the Japanese readers weren't fond of the "Flask" plan or they were turned off by the manga once again focusing solely on Medaka.

After all, the chapter that came in 14th place last week was the one where Zen and the council finally did something. Then they pretty much disappeared again the following week.

I am surprised it's so low, though. I actually enjoyed the chapter for the bit of character development we got from Medaka (her denial of herself). I wish I could read the Japanese forums and see what they think about the manga and why it's failing.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-11-23 at 07:52.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 01:41   Link #1599
Amegashita
Still bad at Japanese

It goes to show you what we think doesn't matter. Unless you live in Japan or have a close friend/ relative in Japan who buys the magazine and manga, then it doesn't matter.
Amegashita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 03:58   Link #1600
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil|plushie View Post
Harem leads are so weak, spineless and annoying so it's easier for the majority of otaku to project themselves as the character
While that may be true in some parts, many newer harems these days has grown away from the "typical", weak harem lead. In fact, its even rarer to find those types of leads, in anime and manga both.

Lets take a few harems from late 09:
Bakemonogatari
Princess Lover!
Sora no Manimani?
Nyan Koi!
Kampfer
Sora no Otoshimono

"weak" would completely fail describe most of the main male leads. Sure, there are sometimes characters like you see in Kanon/Girls Bravo/etc etc, but these days, doesn't happen that much anymore. You could say: the cliche harem male has died out.

Too bad, we cant say the same for Zen's character. but it was never really a harem in the first place.
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council