AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

View Poll Results: Clannad - Episode 14 Rating
Perfect 10 74 44.58%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 30.12%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 15.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 6.63%
6 out of 10 : Average 4 2.41%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 0.60%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.60%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-18, 22:14   Link #81
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
I am a bit confused as to a couple of points. The letter and what the old man said about her parents throwing away the paper just to put the bear in confused me. Does that mean they did it while the plane was crashing, so in other words while everyone was panicking, her parents sat down and wrote a letter then put the bear in then placed it in the suitcase? How did they get so much time to do that?

You could argue that they might of wrote the letter before knowing the plane was going to crash, but then why did they want people who saw the suitcase to deliver it to their daughter? Weird....
Indeed, in the game Tomoya speculated that this was a letter than the parents wrote while the airplane was already doomed. Tomoya commented on how even the handwritting was not messy, or from a trembling hand, but firm traces from someone who is writing with conviction. Then, they threw the portfolio to the ocean before the airplane crashed. My parent's thesis? Kotomi asked. This is your parents thesis, her guardian answered. Their last message to the world is a message of love for their daughter. How they had so much time is a different matter altogether .p
Old 2008-01-18, 22:39   Link #82
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin_Sama View Post
Well that's just about how I usually feel about Key stories in general, especially the "overwrought and manipulative" part (I prefer to substitute manipulative for Pathos though), but yeah a lot of people seem to like it. And like you I'm not immune to sentimentality or being drawn into character struggles in anime (like I initially thought I was), but frequently these types fail to grab me. It's interesting to see though that other people feel the same way as I do about scenarios that are deliberately designed to make one cry. The success of such a story really hinges on how well you can coerce the viewer, and I like to feel eased in to something on my own accord and not really feel forced to feel a certain way in order to identify with something. That's where I think Key differs from other dramatic storytelling for me, the latter being more the kind wherein you are potentially capable of drawing more than one conclusion from a finished scenario. That is the kind of story I prefer.

Just some thoughts...
Yup, and again - interesting, because I really was emotionally vested in Kanon and didn't find it nearly so overwrought and manipulative as this. Even the Fuko arc had me somewhat interested and not totally devoid of feeling at the conclusion.
Old 2008-01-18, 22:51   Link #83
kaitoein
Finders Keepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
From top down:

1. Hindi
2. Dutch
3. I can't tell the difference between this and 12. One's definitely Arabic
4. (On the right) Russian
5. (Left) Portuguese
6. Japanese
7. (Left) Malay
8. (Right) French
9. Hangul
10. Simplified Chinese
11. Italian
12. Can't tell between 3 and 12. Either one is Arabic.
Referring to iamandragon's post in Clannad Q&A. So it should be like this:
Old 2008-01-18, 23:04   Link #84
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaitoein View Post
Referring to iamandragon's post in Clannad Q&A. So it should be like this:
Why was it making it East, and went as far as Iran, only to go back to Portugal?
Old 2008-01-18, 23:09   Link #85
Falkor

The end of Kotomi’s arc wasn’t exactly what I was expecting, though it was indeed touching and moving. My favorite parts would be the end of the first half when Kotomi leaves her self-reclusion to face Tomoya and recite the lines we have longed to listen and the ending of the episode itself when they are about to celebrate Kotomi’s birthday. The suitcase journey and the multiple languages distracted me a little bit, but I didn’t find it as obtrusive to the whole situation. Mamiko Noto’s voice brought all the emotions for me, whether it was her crying as loli-Kotomi or her bittersweet lines, she didn’t fail to amuse me.

The background music was probably the aspect I liked the most from this episode, especially the track they used for Kotomi’s birthday. I don’t know how to explain it very well, but it fit perfectly in order to end Kotomi’s arc with a hopeful/happy and yet tragic feeling.
Old 2008-01-18, 23:10   Link #86
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

WOW.....just WOW, thats about all I can say. Such a beautiful ep.

I'm sad that Kotomi-chwan's arc is over, but since it looks like she isn't leaving I can live with it. Hopefully she isn't left out too much from here on out.

Unless someone can confirm that she does indeed leave, which btw I will kill you for bringing me such aweful news

Ja ne
Old 2008-01-19, 00:44   Link #87
Benny1
Friendly Manga Editor

Send a message via AIM to Benny1 Send a message via MSN to Benny1
Hmm.

Well, the suitcase thing was kind of silly but powerful.

What really hit me with this episode, is Kotomi is absolutely beautiful. Not moe, hot, or any of the like, but beautiful.
Old 2008-01-19, 01:11   Link #88
Jer
(((( _°Д°)))~hwat!?

Send a message via MSN to Jer
I really love Kotomi as a character and this episode sums it all up. The part where the suitcase traveled around the world was meaningful but I ended up laughing at the different pronunciations of various languages. Totally cracked me up.
Old 2008-01-19, 01:29   Link #89
Ice Climbers
Retired
*Graphic Designer

Overall great ending episode, but I cant help but realize that the Chinese portion of the suitcase letter was said so that it sounded like "If you find this suitcase, please take it to my girlfriend"

Oh wells
Old 2008-01-19, 03:02   Link #90
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
9/10, pretty good episode.

And now I know why I was so into young Kotomi. Her hairstyle looks exactly like Ink-chan's, if you know who I mean.
Old 2008-01-19, 04:08   Link #91
Khaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Why was it making it East, and went as far as Iran, only to go back to Portugal?
I'm wondering, why it went from France south to Egypt, then back north to the Netherlands and again south to Italy.
Old 2008-01-19, 04:29   Link #92
iamandragon
Martian diplomat

Send a message via ICQ to iamandragon
I didn't play the Kotomi arc in the game since it wasn't translated yet. When the suitcase came up I was thinking 'that wasn't really touching at all' right before I bursted out in tears--another legend of KyoAni and KEY--I've never heard of a 'happy birthday' so ever touching and full of feelings...
Old 2008-01-19, 05:58   Link #93
Katsu Koneko
明日がある

Send a message via AIM to Katsu Koneko
10/10

Wow..just wow..

This was such an awesome, beautiful episode. For me it was like one of the best. The suitcase portion was so powerful, I couldn't stop crying. It was just so happy and sad and yeah. ;-;

What a great ending to a great arc. :3

I have to admit..the English was spoken weird. xD

My AnimelistMy DeviantartMy Youtube
Index & Spinx banner Made by Pellissier / Keiichi & Rika Icon Made by Nabiki Asakura
Old 2008-01-19, 06:41   Link #94
PhoenixG
Hi-Eternal

Hmmm... I found a bit strange why Kotomi suddenly decide to come out the house and greet Tomoya. There is no explanation of it. Well but the ending was a powerfull one.

I ROFL'd at the dutch part, it sound so weird >.<
Old 2008-01-19, 06:45   Link #95
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixG View Post
Hmmm... I found a bit strange why Kotomi suddenly decide to come out the house and greet Tomoya. There is no explanation of it. Well but the ending was a powerfull one.
It has been shown twice that Kotomi was observing Tomoya and the rest of the gang. She saw Tomoya working at 11PM, so the next day, when she saw him sleeping with the book, she probably decided to come out.
Old 2008-01-19, 07:09   Link #96
Skullator
Ism

I feel pretty pathetic.
I came very, very close to tears watching this episode.

And I'm a 20 year old guy who hasn't cryed in like a decade, so yeh I guess I was pretty moved by it all haha.

Kotomi <3
Old 2008-01-19, 08:02   Link #97
FateAnomaly

She came out because he was finally finished with the yard
One thing for sure, Tomoya would have good prospects in gardening if he can make the flowers and grass grow in 1 night.
Old 2008-01-19, 08:13   Link #98
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieXD View Post
Probably just for artistic license, since Key reckoned most of the intended audience (Japanese otakus) have crap geography anyway.

The plane crashed in Alaska, yet the text in the visual novel mentioned the suitcase traversing oceans and deserts, but between Alaska (where the suitcase should be recovered) and Japan there's nothing but water.
Old 2008-01-19, 08:55   Link #99
Kristen
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
Probably just for artistic license, since Key reckoned most of the intended audience (Japanese otakus) have crap geography anyway.

The plane crashed in Alaska, yet the text in the visual novel mentioned the suitcase traversing oceans and deserts, but between Alaska (where the suitcase should be recovered) and Japan there's nothing but water.
Hm... So, I laid it all out on the map, the journey. Apparently between Alaska an England (The first stop), it would have to pass over Greenland, and icy landmass. Then it gradually made its way east, going to the desert lands of Egypt and Iran. I guess since it went west to east, it did pass through all of those places.
Then it got to Indonesia, just south of Japan, and then took a trip to Iran, and then Portugal? Then it flew to the Koreas and was just a trip over the channel to Japan, but they sent it to Russia.

Some silly people, these must have been.
Old 2008-01-19, 09:24   Link #100
X207
Gamyūsa

it sounds more like that it might have been passed around from ppl who couldve been kotomi's parents ie hit and miss guessing until it arrived in japan. eitherway that suit case's destination was forgotten quite easily. if iran, portugal and egypt left out it would make a bit more sense.
Closed Thread