AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-13, 15:28   Link #541
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Must be fated that Yurika be married into that family then.

C'mon Sentaro, it's not too late to turn back yet!

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-13, 18:01   Link #542
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
One of the things that most impresses me about this show is the economy with which it is presented. A line here, a glance there, and paragraphs of exposition are expressed. I could do with a bit fewer blushing marks though. Sometimes it feels a bit heavy-handed as in the whole sequence in the shop.
This. This is what I find really amazing too. The more the show progresses more I notice that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
And, oh, it occurs to me that Ri'ko likely started attending church because of Sentarou. It's not stated, I think, but I suspect Sentarou drifted into church because of a longing to be closer to the father he never knew (and also possibly because he had nowhere else to belong, with most of his peers having ostracised him for being half-gaijin). It seems clear that Sentarou doesn't really care about religion. Ironically, it's Ri'ko who became more invested in it than him.

Or is it the other way round? Was it in church that Sentarou first met Ri'ko?
Well, I don't know if Sentarou really doesn't care about religion. But if I had to guess I'd say he cares. He doesn't show much about what he really is or what he really feel.
Speaking of the church, the priest gave him his mother's rosary, so we can assume that her mother at a certain point became a Christian. So probably Sentarou has been Christian from his birth. But I second your idea of Sentarou spending a lot of time in the church having no other place to go.

Spoiler for further speculations about Ri'ko:

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 01:13   Link #543
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

To those speculating about why Jun is 'Brother' Jun... (Jun-nii)

er...you really don't need to think too deeply about it. In a number of East Asian cultures, it's quite common for children to address cousins, neighbours, close family friends etc that are older than they are as '(name)-(older brother term)' or '(name)-(older sister term)'.

E.g. In Chinese, we might have Meiling-jiejie (姐姐) or Xiaoran-gege (哥哥)...

edit: and once we've started addressing them as such, it becomes a difficult habit to drop even when we've grown older.

I expect that Ricchan and Sen's use of 'Jun-nii' comes from a similar perspective.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2012-05-14 at 07:59.
karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-14, 22:11   Link #544
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Sentarou just dose what he went to jumping threw a second story window and going to tokyo on a whim
Old 2012-05-17, 12:52   Link #545
kuromitsu

Okamoto Nobuhiko? Oh my god, it's Ichinose (from Night Raid)! xD This show has a pretty good sense of choosing seiyuu. Though Okamoto and the animators managed to make Seiji even more annoying and effeminate... ^^;; And the Beatles fanboy finally appears.

Also, LOLEX. xD

And since they're doing the whole Jun storyline thing, I can't wait to hear Suwabe Junichi in those scenes...

(Btw, SenxKaoru fans should defintely read the chapters this ep was adapted from, basically almost the entirety of vol4. xD Thank god for Seiji.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 13:37   Link #546
ookamigirl

Another school year...
Sentaro fighting on the first day... nothing strange there.
Date with Yurika went well, but his friendship with Kaoru is not doing too well.
Matsuoka seems like Sen's new friend since he could relate to his life story.
Guess that guy had his own agenda after all.
Kaoru took Sen's sudden switch to Matsuoka & his rock band as flat out betrayal.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 13:55   Link #547
Kirarakim

I am not sure I like the anti-Beatles stance of the episode

Other than that great episode. So Kaoru & Sentaro are involved in a triangle of a different kind, & finally we see just how much Sen means to Kaoru.

Although Kaoru's outburst was a little immature, he is growing in other ways

Spoiler:
Old 2012-05-17, 13:56   Link #548
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Listening to the full version of the OP atm ... it is quite lovely in that version too.
Old 2012-05-17, 14:12   Link #549
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Although Kaoru's outburst was a little immature, he is growing in other ways

Spoiler:
Spoiler for spoiler:
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 14:15   Link #550
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

This episode will spawn more yaoi comments than ever. The bromance was strong in this one.

Although I am sympathetic to his home situation, I couldn't help but find Fang-kun obnoxious as all hell. For a moment, I even thought I was watching the wrong show. He looks so out of place here
The author doesn't like the Beatles very much, does he?

I can relate to Kaoru's fear that his best friend will get stolen and he'll end up all alone once more, but his outburst was quite childish once again (that totally looked like a lover's quarrel ). He still has a lot of growing up to do.
Old 2012-05-17, 14:33   Link #551
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikvod00 View Post
Spoiler for spoiler:
Spoiler:

So I do think trying to stop that date showed maturity on Kaoru's part even if he didn't go about it the right way. Although I suppose Sentaro will have to realize himself that Yurika is not interested in him.

Edit: Also to clarify I meant he showed maturity in caring about the feelings of others not necessarily in the actions he took.
Old 2012-05-17, 14:47   Link #552
sikvod00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Spoiler:

So I do think trying to stop that date showed maturity on Kaoru's part even if he didn't go about it the right way.
I respectfully disagree.
Spoiler for spoiler:
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 15:01   Link #553
Kirarakim

Quote:
I respectfully disagree.
Spoiler for spoiler:
As I said in my post I think he showed maturity in caring about the feelings of others over his own feelings, not in the actions he took. His heart was in the right place even if he went about it the wrong way.

That's a far cry from trying to set Sentaro up with Yurika in earlier episodes so he could have Ri-chan.

And yes I do think he took Yurika's feelings (or lack of) for Sentaro into account. Maybe it was wrong for Kaoru to stop the date but he was right at the result. Sentaro just needs to discover that himself.

Kaoru doesn't need to do everything right but I think every little step (even if there are missteps) shows he is maturing.
Old 2012-05-17, 16:14   Link #554
kuromitsu

Quote:
Oh, and I didn't forget about Yurika liking Jun. I just didn't mention it because I don't think Kaoru cared as much about that as much as seeing Ricchie get hurt.
It's both, really. He doesn't want Rikko to get hurt, but he also knows what it's like to realize that you're in love with someone who doesn't love you, and doesn't want Sen to go through the same thing. Especially since Sen adores Jun. Which is why he can't tell Sen the real reason why he shouldn't go, and says the wrong things, hurting Sen.

Things like this show just why I think Kaoru is such a great character. He's not the most likeable person ever, but these thought processes and his development as a character are so well done.
Old 2012-05-17, 17:19   Link #555
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Lol Sen only talked about Jun on his date with Yurika. Seiji annoyed me. Interesting problem in Sen and Kaoru's relationship now.
Old 2012-05-17, 17:56   Link #556
Arya

aha, I agree that Seiji is really annoying.
Spoiler for ep. 6:

Talking about Kaoru, he is growing, even if the transition felt a bit rushed, if I have to say.
Spoiler for ep.6:

In regard of Yurika's date advice, I thought that he was thinking more to Sentarou's feeling than Ritsuko at the moment. But probably, as kuromitsu said, he is trying to handle both in the best way he can. And it is not a simple thing to do, without spilling the beans.

Anyways the episode seemed to last ten minutes even with Seiji and I agree with Kanon taht thanks to him I had the impression of watching the wrong show

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Old 2012-05-17, 18:02   Link #557
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Yeah, I could not believe that an award-winning manga had someone like Seiji in it. Maybe he's less obnoxious in the manga, but he sure as hell annoyed me here. Other than that, episode was good. I can see how people aren't going to like the drama and all, but I honestly love it. And I don't care if Kaoru is a prick. I've liked pricks before, and it's better than being monotone.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 18:12   Link #558
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
aha, I agree that Seiji is really annoying.
Spoiler for ep. 6:
No, actually he didn't. They were at Yamaoka's (the Beatles fanboy) place whose family is rich and his father is into music and has all sorts of instruments. Maruo (the pudgy guy) is rich, or at least his family is more well-off than others so he can afford a guitar and even lessons. (Actually, even the record that Seiji lent Sen belongs to Yamaoka.)

I think Seiji is pretty fun in the manga (if pretty annoying and morally ahem, interesting), but getting animated and having a voice doesn't really help - maybe if Yamaoka and Maruo get some more screentime he'll seem less out of place. But I like how honest he is about what he wants and how he wants to get it.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-05-17 at 18:30.
Old 2012-05-17, 18:16   Link #559
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't think Kaoru should manipulate Sentarou into anything. If he really wants to be an obstacle to Sen x Yurika, he should be straight about it and tell Sentarou why. Those little lies aren't arranging anything.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-17, 18:47   Link #560
Arya

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
No, actually he didn't. They were at Yamaoka's (the Beatles fanboy) place whose family is rich and his father is into music and has all sorts of instruments. Maruo (the pudgy guy) is rich, or at least his family is more well-off than others so he can afford a guitar and even lessons. (Actually, even the record that Seiji lent Sen belongs to Yamaoka.)

I think Seiji is pretty fun in the manga (if pretty annoying and morally ahem, interesting), but getting animated and having a voice doesn't really help - maybe if Yamaoka and Maruo get some more screentime he'll seem less out of place. But I like how honest he is about what he wants and how he wants to get it.
Ops. thanks for clarifying it. And actually it would have been difficult for Seiji to keep that lie if he was rich. So he is not that bad as I thought. Morally interesting fits him well. But annoying as hell better

Tags
josei, shoujo, slice of life