AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2010-06-06, 21:21   Link #1
Metropolisforever

Anime with Multiple Remakes

Some anime shows just keep being remade over and over again. This is a common practice in the anime world. Chances are, if a show is popular enough the first time around, one or more "new" versions of that show will be made.

Examples? Astro Boy - 1960s, 1980s, and 2000s.

Get what I'm talking about?

The "king" of anime remakes is GeGeGe no Kitaro, which has been remade every single decade since the 1960s. Without a doubt, a new remake will be made soon enough. I've only seen the '60s, '80s, and 2000s series. The '60s one was good, the '80s one was probably the best. The 2000s one was... not good.

I love the original Cyborg 009 and I've seen an episode of the '70s one, but, ironically, I've never seen the easily-accessible 2000s series.

And who could forget the umpteen-bajillion Gundam remakes we've had since the '70s?

So, this is basically a thread about remakes; shows with remakes, movies with remakes, and just remakes in general. Which remakes were better than the originals? Which remakes were worse? Which shows should stop being remade? And, most of all... which shows/movies should be remade?
Old 2010-06-06, 22:00   Link #2
james0246

Hm, Astro Boy/etc started as a manga, so it s not liek they are remaking the original anime over and over again, but rather going back to the initial source material...

Bubblegum Crisis/Bubblegum Crisis 2040: The original (1987/1991) definitely hasn't aged well, but it is still filled with lots of fun action and a fairly interesting story (even if somewhat recycled from Blade Runner and a few older manga/anime). The remake (1999/2000) expands on everything in the original story (corrupt mega-corporations, inefficient bureaucratic police system, and hard rock babes wearing tight-fitting outfits), offering a far grittier and more 'realistic' feel to the series while drastically updating the look and personality of all the characters (mostly for the better). The original definitely is a classic, but the remake is quite good (hell, its actually better than the original).

Terra E...: The original movie (1980) is sloppy and a little silly at time, but still pretty good. But the remake (2007) is very good. Expanding on all the characters and story, the remake manages to both emphasize all of the good qualities of the original movie, while at the same time adding all the extra details from the manga the original left out, and exploring the overall story better than both...
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-06, 22:35   Link #3
Echoes

Evangelion is one of the more prominent examples.

The original ending was remade with End of Evangelion, and it's being completely remade in the series of ongoing movies. There's also the manga, which takes a different turn from the anime along the way.

I think of "End of Evangelion" as the true ending, and a necessary replacement of the notoriously unsatisfying ending of the actual series. It completed the series, and I consider it the crowing jewel.
Old 2010-06-06, 22:38   Link #4
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Endless Eight or I am sarcastic and wrong.

Would Dragonball Z have 2 remakes? (DBZ and DBZ Kai?)

I think Black Jack also had remakes.
Old 2010-06-06, 23:36   Link #5
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Evangelion is one of the more prominent examples.

The original ending was remade with End of Evangelion, and it's being completely remade in the series of ongoing movies. There's also the manga, which takes a different turn from the anime along the way.

I think of "End of Evangelion" as the true ending, and a necessary replacement of the notoriously unsatisfying ending of the actual series. It completed the series, and I consider it the crowing jewel.
I agree with this 100%

While remakes are often looked down upon as a money grabbing exercise when poorly done, there sometimes comes a time where maybe there's a feeling it could be done better.

And of course, retelling the same story for a new generation is a fun and nostalgic thing to do.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 03:42   Link #6
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Remakes huh? Try Escaflowne to have your eyes pop out from too much remake power. First it was a short shoujo manga, then remade into a much different long shounen manga, then to much different action/fantasy anime, then remade into a much different movie drama.

The word remake is not strong enough to describe the vast changes it got amongst its 4 versions. And to think the basic story is the same in all 4...
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 04:18   Link #7
pseudonhym
わかんないよ

well... forgetting Kanon 2002 and 2006 i guess... but I guess everyone knows it even if its not placed here.
Old 2010-06-07, 06:41   Link #8
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
Unfortunately, however, most of these remakes (I'm guessing) were decided based on thier popularity and high ratings.
In other words, the remakes are usually family and children shows (not entirely of course).

Well ... and mecha animes .. since mecha fans are very much into technical details you can actually make an entire remake just by adding a few more laser beam guns and cannons, and you have a good chance of making a hit.
Samurai dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 08:06   Link #9
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I don't think the Gundam series count as a remake, since I see as like the Star Wars universe, full of incarnations.

Negima, however...
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 09:28   Link #10
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I'd like to see a remake of Touch. The original was very good, but the story is so timeless and woven into Japanese pop culture (Tatsuya was the most popular name for boys for a while in the '80's) that I'd love to see it remade with a modern look.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 09:57   Link #11
justsomeguy

I think Cutie Honey has multiple different manga, anime series, OVAs, a live-action movie, and a live-action series, none in the same continuity.

Currently playing: LoH Trails in the Sky SC
justsomeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-07, 10:16   Link #12
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolisforever View Post
Some anime shows just keep being remade over and over again. This is a common practice in the anime world. Chances are, if a show is popular enough the first time around, one or more "new" versions of that show will be made.

Examples? Astro Boy - 1960s, 1980s, and 2000s.

Get what I'm talking about?

The "king" of anime remakes is GeGeGe no Kitaro, which has been remade every single decade since the 1960s. Without a doubt, a new remake will be made soon enough. I've only seen the '60s, '80s, and 2000s series. The '60s one was good, the '80s one was probably the best. The 2000s one was... not good.

I love the original Cyborg 009 and I've seen an episode of the '70s one, but, ironically, I've never seen the easily-accessible 2000s series.

And who could forget the umpteen-bajillion Gundam remakes we've had since the '70s?

So, this is basically a thread about remakes; shows with remakes, movies with remakes, and just remakes in general. Which remakes were better than the originals? Which remakes were worse? Which shows should stop being remade? And, most of all... which shows/movies should be remade?
There really hasn't be that many Gundam remake. There are a compilation movies some of them (though I guess they count as a remakes but still there hasn't been that much of that either) but barley any remakes.
Old 2010-06-07, 19:08   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

GeGeGe no Kitaro is indeed the king of remakes, and it was everywhere in Tokyo when I was there. It's the mascot of F.C. Tokyo, the headline exhibit at Suginamo Animation Museum, and on streetlamps all over Chofu (the mangaka's home district).
Old 2010-06-07, 19:53   Link #14
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roriconfan View Post
Remakes huh? Try Escaflowne to have your eyes pop out from too much remake power. First it was a short shoujo manga, then remade into a much different long shounen manga, then to much different action/fantasy anime, then remade into a much different movie drama.

The word remake is not strong enough to describe the vast changes it got amongst its 4 versions. And to think the basic story is the same in all 4...
the manga came after the Anime. And both manga were done at the same time.
Old 2010-06-07, 20:13   Link #15
Metropolisforever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
GeGeGe no Kitaro is indeed the king of remakes, and it was everywhere in Tokyo when I was there. It's the mascot of F.C. Tokyo, the headline exhibit at Suginamo Animation Museum, and on streetlamps all over Chofu (the mangaka's home district).
It's also the mascot of a soccer team in Japan.
Old 2010-06-07, 20:36   Link #16
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

And F.C. (Football Club) Tokyo is that very team!
Old 2010-06-07, 20:39   Link #17
Metropolisforever

Have you seen the new version?

It's... not very good.
Old 2010-06-07, 20:56   Link #18
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Would Dragonball Z have 2 remakes? (DBZ and DBZ Kai?)
Not really. DBZ Kai is just the original DBZ re-edited to cut out the filler and really looooooooooong pauses the series was notorious for.
Old 2010-06-07, 21:08   Link #19
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Brave Reideen [Brave Reideen (1975), Reideen the Superior (1996), Reideen (2007), Rahxephon (2002) ]
Old 2010-06-07, 22:50   Link #20
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Brave Reideen [Brave Reideen (1975), Reideen the Superior (1996), Reideen (2007), Rahxephon (2002) ]
Rahxephon is not a reideen.