AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2010-03-23, 16:54   Link #3141
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

I'm kinda hoping that they'll fix that before it get published. :/

And Disappearance is a LONG book.

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
TheHaruhiIncarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 17:05   Link #3142
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaruhiIncarnate View Post
And Disappearance is a LONG book.
It also happens to be the shortest book in the series, if I recall correctly.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 17:57   Link #3143
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It also happens to be the shortest book in the series, if I recall correctly.
Yūutsu : 304 pages
Tameki: 278 pages
Taikutsu: 308 pages
Shōshitsu: 254 pages Shortest
Bōsō: 327 pages
Dōyō: 301 pages
Inbō: 430 pages Longest
Fungai: 301 pages
Bunretsu: 295 pages

These are from the original Japanese editions, not the translated copies. The book size is smaller than the translated editions, thus more pages than the English copies.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 18:49   Link #3144
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
Inbou was my 4th fav, and yet I liked it but didn't..
And I think It's one of the more important ones, so I think that's why It's longer.
AmyElizzabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 19:26   Link #3145
TheHaruhiIncarnate
Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Yūutsu : 304 pages
Tameki: 278 pages
Taikutsu: 308 pages
Shōshitsu: 254 pages Shortest
Bōsō: 327 pages
Dōyō: 301 pages
Inbō: 430 pages Longest
Fungai: 301 pages
Bunretsu: 295 pages

These are from the original Japanese editions, not the translated copies. The book size is smaller than the translated editions, thus more pages than the English copies.
hmmm. I thought I was long cause I read it online and my brain must have thought it was the longest read ever. lol

F**k Moe
Embrace Tsundere
TheHaruhiIncarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 22:18   Link #3146
FDW
Zettai Ryouiki Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
Inbou was my 4th fav, and yet I liked it but didn't..
And I think It's one of the more important ones, so I think that's why It's longer.
I think it was less importance, and more that Tanigawa simply let himself go for the long haul and he wanted to make sure that there were enough plot points for said long haul. (honestly, I think this series will last AT LEAST another dozen books after the 10th.)
FDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-23, 22:19   Link #3147
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Other than Sigh, it's also the simplest, plot-wise. All the others have either multiple plots (7, 9) or multiple, seemingly disparate events leading up to the climax (1). With Disappearance, you've got a very minor introduction, but once the plot gets going, which isn't long into the story, you're on that one track until the climax, and the denouement ties right in to that plot until the short epilogue takes us back to resolve the prologue.

Now that one plot is admittedly...well I wouldn't exactly call it complex, but it is a bumpy ride...
Old 2010-03-24, 18:37   Link #3148
Solachinx
is a myth

Damn, they're starting to pump these things out now. I agree Disappearance is similar to Wonderful Life, but I think everyone can agree that neither of those are quirky or whimsical.
Old 2010-03-24, 19:36   Link #3149
keri
ねぇ、知ってる?

Depends on your definition of quirky and whimsical, I guess. Haruhi does have a lot of strange quirks and she acts on whimsy much of the time...

keri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 20:30   Link #3150
SealkidHaruhiism
Haruhi Suzumiya rules!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
I apologize for deviating from the Mikuru vs boat conflict, but there is something we may want to pay attention to:

On April 30th in Japan, in June's edition of "The Sneaker" there will be something about the Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya (Novel 10). I cannot tell if it will be something like a prologue or something else, so I will not speculate as to the contents.

Edit: To confirm that it is a real book and not a photoshop, here is another view of the announcement:
Spoiler:

2nd Edit: I feel more comfortable detailing the fact that it appears to be the first part of the book revealed in the June issue after reading more information.
Will the light novel ends at vol. 10 - Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya, or will it keep on going?
SealkidHaruhiism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-24, 20:37   Link #3151
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by SealkidHaruhiism View Post
Will the light novel ends at vol. 10 - Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya, or will it keep on going?
We don't know anything for certain. Anything out there is pure speculation on the part of the fanbase. 10 happens to be a good round number and has been used before to end series before; but with the success of the Haruhi novel series (and the rest of the franchise it's spun off) I'm not quite certain that Tanigawa-sensei would end it with this novel yet.

I'd also like to say that we don't have a release date for the full novel. This is only part of the story, much like Yuutsu was only published in the Sneaker before novelization later. We may have to wait longer after this portion.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-27, 04:26   Link #3152
dnab
anime berkeley

Hello everyone. Submerged a bit and watched the "Marketing of Suzumiya Haruhi" unfold. From viral marketing, season 2, Endless 8, Disappearance movie, and vol. 10 - all seemed to unfold like a preordained scenario in the Dead Sea Scroll written up by SEELE Kadokawa. It's said to re-serialize on the 4/30 Sneaker. This time no more unscheduled midnight premier in some remote town to ambush otakus, most if not all the translators for the 5 major languages will be revving up for this.

I'm excited, more so than for the TV series or the movie. While the likelihood for the novels to wrap up in vol.10 is about as high as Civilization ending on 2012 (not impossible), the new book will at the very least give us insights into the "physics" of split timelines. And any new "physics" is a clue into Mikuru's purpose, which to me constitutes half of the novels' unanswered mysteries. Can't wait.

Last edited by dnab; 2010-03-27 at 04:38.
dnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 08:11   Link #3153
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post

I'm excited, more so than for the TV series or the movie. While the likelihood for the novels to wrap up in vol.10 is about as high as Civilization ending on 2012 (not impossible), the new book will at the very least give us insights into the "physics" of split timelines. And any new "physics" is a clue into Mikuru's purpose, which to me constitutes half of the novels' unanswered mysteries. Can't wait.
I do hope they'll explain more about Mikuru's and Koizumi's respective agencies. Since the title of the novel is 'The Surprise of Suzumiya Haruhi', I want to hear more amazing facts about Koizumi's Organization, which intrigues me the most out of the entire Haruhi universe (due to its Mafia-like portrayal along with the Tsuruya family). Mikuru I don't think she'll be involved much due to her clumsiness, but her Time-travel Company (do we have a name for them?) will hopefully make an appearance and make Mikuru more likeable and endearing to the fans.
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 09:12   Link #3154
Tabasco

I think Mikuru is plenty likable already, if not terribly useful. I'll second the extra info about Koizumi's Organization, but my guess is that the focus is going to be on the new character that popped up in the last book.

I still don't understand the view that the next novel is the last though. There are way to many unresolved questions to cut it off there, unless there's a sequel series coming right after that picks up more or less where the current on leaves off.
Tabasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 09:19   Link #3155
edkedkedk
Hare Hare Sera Fuku!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
I think Mikuru is plenty likable already, if not terribly useful.
According to people I've asked, Mikuru doesn't attract much love from people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabasco View Post
I still don't understand the view that the next novel is the last though. There are way to many unresolved questions to cut it off there, unless there's a sequel series coming right after that picks up more or less where the current on leaves off.
And that itself seems like an unnecessary move, so why not just continue the series? I certainly don't think the next novel will be the last, for both plot and reality reasons.
edkedkedk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 12:41   Link #3156
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by edkedkedk View Post
According to people I've asked, Mikuru doesn't attract much love from people
Mikuru's primary job is to be an in-universe roadblock to most people's OTP (whether it's Kyon/Haruhi or Kyon/Yuki). The level of unlove Mikuru gets is completely unwarranted, but hardly surprising just the same.
Old 2010-04-04, 22:10   Link #3157
SgtHydra
Void Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Mikuru's primary job is to be an in-universe roadblock to most people's OTP (whether it's Kyon/Haruhi or Kyon/Yuki). The level of unlove Mikuru gets is completely unwarranted, but hardly surprising just the same.
I don't really think that's it.

Mikuru just doesn't do as much as the rest of the SOS Brigade.

Her future-self might, but not her present-self, as currently she's just an ordinary girl from the future. Maybe a bit of training here and there, but it isn't like she's going to pull martial arts skillz out one day or anything.

What Mikuru needs is a problem that she and she alone can solve. Such a problem has yet to occur, and thus Mikuru is unloved as the resident useless moe-blob.

All Glory to the Greentext.
SgtHydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-05, 01:45   Link #3158
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtHydra View Post
I don't really think that's it.

Mikuru just doesn't do as much as the rest of the SOS Brigade.

Her future-self might, but not her present-self, as currently she's just an ordinary girl from the future. Maybe a bit of training here and there, but it isn't like she's going to pull martial arts skillz out one day or anything.

What Mikuru needs is a problem that she and she alone can solve. Such a problem has yet to occur, and thus Mikuru is unloved as the resident useless moe-blob.
Well, that's never going to happen. If there's ever a situation that she and she alone can solve, then the future is screwed, and she'll never have existed. She can't "do things" (ie: change history) on her own. Her whole role in her past is to get the people there to do the things she needs done. I thought that was explained fairly well in Volume 7 and Melancholy of Asahina Mikuru...
Old 2010-04-05, 03:03   Link #3159
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Won't do any good. Publishers don't care if the blurbs are wrong. As long as it brings in readers, they'll continue to not care.

Feel free to contact them about the blurb sounding stupid, though, because it certainly does. ^_^
Yeah you were right... I never got a response. I tried to email the one in charge: MX Media, LTD or something. (Hachete just markets, Little Brown Books does the same thing... so I was left with looking at the translator...)
Old 2010-04-05, 03:09   Link #3160
orangejuicetang

So, when the 10th book finally comes out, is there going to be any group doing a translation since baka-tsuki froze Haruhi?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shounen, sneaker bunko, seinen, light novels, manga