AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kill La Kill

Notices

Old 2014-05-23, 13:37   Link #1461
tempaccount
Disabled By Request

Big annoucement in September. It will be movie for sure. Spoilers on /a/ say that
Spoiler:
tempaccount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-27, 13:36   Link #1462
bastek66

Fan animation about Mako and Gamagori
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-05-28, 21:17   Link #1463
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Last edited by blakstealth; 2014-05-28 at 21:28.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-28, 23:05   Link #1464
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
YouTube

I like all the casting choices except maybe Senketsu.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-28, 23:22   Link #1465
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
Spoiler for Youtube hidden:

I think it'll take some time getting use to the dub voices but give it a chance; btw it looks like Senketsu is Xing Ke from Code Geass.
Oh and we got Todd Haberkorn too it looks! yay!

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-28, 23:28   Link #1466
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Ah they couldn't have picked a better fella to do Gamagoori that's for sure.

Seems Ryuko's voice actress is a rather unknown one, but maybe this role will earn her more attention.
Old 2014-05-28, 23:34   Link #1467
KleenexGhost
Riding the Ange Express

I was kinda expecting Dave Vincent to voice Sanageyama but Grant George is a fine choice.

I like the casting. Now who will they get to voice Ragyo and Nui?
Old 2014-05-28, 23:41   Link #1468
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Ah they couldn't have picked a better fella to do Gamagoori that's for sure.

Seems Ryuko's voice actress is a rather unknown one, but maybe this role will earn her more attention.
Either him or Travis Willingham imo. so maybe a side grade I like them both.

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-29, 02:18   Link #1469
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
YouTube

Pretty good on the whole.

Satsuki is a tiny bit softer than I'd like, but no big deal.

Ryuko sounds fine. Most of the characters sound fine.

Man, I pity Ira's voice actor. That's a lot of growling to put your throat through.

I'm really impressed with Sarah Williams. Her Nonon voice is significantly different than her Sayaka Miki voice in the Madoka Magica English dub. More importantly, she captures Nonon totally.

My main issue would be with Senketsu. He doesn't sound as old as I'd like him to sound. But I'm not sure if that should be blamed on the voice actor himself, or on the people who made the casting decision.
Old 2014-05-29, 03:48   Link #1470
Allium
Keep on keeping on

Dub sounds great so far, good choices for Ryuuko and Satsuki. I too find Senketsu's dub voice somewhat weak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm really impressed with Sarah Williams. Her Nonon voice is significantly different than her Sayaka Miki voice in the Madoka Magica English dub. More importantly, she captures Nonon totally.
Agreed, the English and Japanese voices are almost a perfect match!
Allium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-29, 05:32   Link #1471
bastek66

Wow, dub sucks, only Nonon sounds good.
Old 2014-05-29, 05:48   Link #1472
Dark Paladin X

Here's the dub cast list according to ANN:
  • Erica Mendez as Ryuuko Matoi
  • Carrie Keranen as Satsuki Kiryuuin
  • Christine Marie Cabanos as Mako Mankanshoku
  • David Vincent as Senketsu
  • Matthew Mercer as Aikurō Mikisugi
  • Sarah Williams as Nonon Jakuzure
  • Patrick Seitz as Ira Gamagōri
  • Grant George as Uzu Sanageyama
  • Steve Cannon as Hōka Inumuta
  • Lindsey Eaton as Mataro Mankanshoku
  • Michael Sorich as Barazo Mankanshoku
  • Erika Harlacher as Sukuyo Mankanshoku
  • Todd Haberkorn as Shiro Iori

If you don't know who each VA are:

Erica Mendez is fairly new in the anime scene, best known to voice Aladdin from Magi. Her voice acting is often associated with shoutas, but can voice other kinds of characters if necessary.

Carrie Keranen is well known for Berserk fame as Casca and Mami Tomoe from Madoka Magica.

Christine Marie Cabanos is well-known to voice lolis in anime (or moe characters in general). Some of her best well-known roles include Madoka from Madoka Magica, Squid Girl, Shiemi from Blue Exorcist, and Silica from Sword Art Online. Apparently, she happens to be one of my favorite voice actresses due to her cute loli voice, and I did not expect her to casted into Mako.

David Vincent is an experienced veteran voice actor best known for his roles such as Gilgamesh from Fate/Zero, Jin Kisaragi from Blazblue, and Xingke Li from Code Geass.

Matthew Mercer is known for his distinct baritone voice with his best known roles such as Kiritsugu Emiya from Fate/Zero, Sinbad from Magi, Levi from Attack on Titan, Chrom from Fire Emblem Awakening, and Leon S. Kennedy from Resident Evil 6. He's often compared to Troy Baker due to their similar vocal ranges and even took over Troy Baker's role as Kanji when Troy had to attend his honeymoon.

If you are a video gamer, Sarah Williams is known for her role as Peacock in Skullgirls and Jinx from League of Legends. She also voiced a bit anime as well such as Sayaka Miki from Madoka Magica, Lisbeth from Sword Art Online, and Yuniko Koizuki from Accel World (which interestingly enough, is a loli in a similar vein like Nonon). Also, she's been compared to Eri Kitamura several times and even shared two of the said Japanese VA roles.

Patrick Seitz as Ira is nonetheless expected. But he's known to have a gruffy baritone voice. His resume is too big to even mention here.

Grant George is another veteran voice actor, but if you are huge fan of jRPGs, he's known for his roles as Axel, Vyers, and the Prinny from the Disgaea series.

Steve Cannon is an alias of Steve Staley (which he uses for non-union work like the said Kill La Kill dub). Many of the characters Steve voices are either arrogant, egotistical, of complete geniuses (in the case with Houka, he falls into the "complete genius" category).

That's all I can say in this post before it gets too long. I'll continue giving info out on these voice actors later on.
Anime junkie, video gamer, English dub fan, loli lover, and a Tv Tropes sumo. Trope pages created by me: Black Bullet, Erica Mendez, Christine Marie Cabanos, Bang Zoom Entertainment, Clint Bickham, David Wald, Studiopolis, Corey Hartzog, NYAV Post, Max Mittelman, Brianna Knickerbocker, Scott Gibbs, Faye Mata.

Last edited by Dark Paladin X; 2014-05-29 at 06:00. Reason: added link
Dark Paladin X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-29, 07:29   Link #1473
bastek66

Christ, these prices. Aniplex of Murrica is crazy.
Old 2014-05-29, 11:02   Link #1474
ACertainStark
お姉さん☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempaccount View Post
Big annoucement in September. It will be movie for sure. Spoilers on /a/ say that
Spoiler:
More interested in this... wonder what this'll turn out to be.
ACertainStark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-29, 14:24   Link #1475
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Senketsu sounds fucking awful. Is that REALLY David Vincent? Just wtf.
Old 2014-05-29, 18:32   Link #1476
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Senketsu sounds fucking awful. Is that REALLY David Vincent? Just wtf.
I agree with you here, I expected Senketsu to have a gruffy and baritone voice, but I don't David Vincent fits this character well.

On the other hand, I actually thought Crispin Freeman would be a better choice for Senketsu. But noting Kill La Kill is a non-union dub, that's sadly not possible.
Anime junkie, video gamer, English dub fan, loli lover, and a Tv Tropes sumo. Trope pages created by me: Black Bullet, Erica Mendez, Christine Marie Cabanos, Bang Zoom Entertainment, Clint Bickham, David Wald, Studiopolis, Corey Hartzog, NYAV Post, Max Mittelman, Brianna Knickerbocker, Scott Gibbs, Faye Mata.
Dark Paladin X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 19:54   Link #1477
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin X View Post
Here's the dub cast list according to ANN:
  • Erica Mendez as Ryuuko Matoi
  • Carrie Keranen as Satsuki Kiryuuin
  • Christine Marie Cabanos as Mako Mankanshoku
  • David Vincent as Senketsu
  • Matthew Mercer as Aikurō Mikisugi
  • Sarah Williams as Nonon Jakuzure
  • Patrick Seitz as Ira Gamagōri
  • Grant George as Uzu Sanageyama
  • Steve Cannon as Hōka Inumuta
  • Lindsey Eaton as Mataro Mankanshoku
  • Michael Sorich as Barazo Mankanshoku
  • Erika Harlacher as Sukuyo Mankanshoku
  • Todd Haberkorn as Shiro Iori

If you don't know who each VA are:

Erica Mendez is fairly new in the anime scene, best known to voice Aladdin from Magi. Her voice acting is often associated with shoutas, but can voice other kinds of characters if necessary.

Carrie Keranen is well known for Berserk fame as Casca and Mami Tomoe from Madoka Magica.

Christine Marie Cabanos is well-known to voice lolis in anime (or moe characters in general). Some of her best well-known roles include Madoka from Madoka Magica, Squid Girl, Shiemi from Blue Exorcist, and Silica from Sword Art Online. Apparently, she happens to be one of my favorite voice actresses due to her cute loli voice, and I did not expect her to casted into Mako.

David Vincent is an experienced veteran voice actor best known for his roles such as Gilgamesh from Fate/Zero, Jin Kisaragi from Blazblue, and Xingke Li from Code Geass.

Matthew Mercer is known for his distinct baritone voice with his best known roles such as Kiritsugu Emiya from Fate/Zero, Sinbad from Magi, Levi from Attack on Titan, Chrom from Fire Emblem Awakening, and Leon S. Kennedy from Resident Evil 6. He's often compared to Troy Baker due to their similar vocal ranges and even took over Troy Baker's role as Kanji when Troy had to attend his honeymoon.

If you are a video gamer, Sarah Williams is known for her role as Peacock in Skullgirls and Jinx from League of Legends. She also voiced a bit anime as well such as Sayaka Miki from Madoka Magica, Lisbeth from Sword Art Online, and Yuniko Koizuki from Accel World (which interestingly enough, is a loli in a similar vein like Nonon). Also, she's been compared to Eri Kitamura several times and even shared two of the said Japanese VA roles.

Patrick Seitz as Ira is nonetheless expected. But he's known to have a gruffy baritone voice. His resume is too big to even mention here.

Grant George is another veteran voice actor, but if you are huge fan of jRPGs, he's known for his roles as Axel, Vyers, and the Prinny from the Disgaea series.

Steve Cannon is an alias of Steve Staley (which he uses for non-union work like the said Kill La Kill dub). Many of the characters Steve voices are either arrogant, egotistical, of complete geniuses (in the case with Houka, he falls into the "complete genius" category).

That's all I can say in this post before it gets too long. I'll continue giving info out on these voice actors later on.
Don't worry, I'll handle the rest.

Michael Sorich has done a lot of work on the Power Rangers. His resume is almost entirely filled with monsters and middle-aged men.

Erika Harlacher and Lindsey Eaton seem new to the VA scene. I can name Harlacher's role as Ami Kawashima in Toradora, but as far as I'm concerned, this is Eaton's first outing in the business.

Todd Haberkorn...needs no introduction to those familiar with English dubs. Especially Funimation dubs. He, like Patrick Seitz, has too big a resume to list here. So I'll let this video do that for me.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-01, 17:46   Link #1478
ryohazuki224

Quick Kill la Kill composite image

Hehe, sorry, was gonna post an image here but I found the image thread. Take some time to look, me! LOL

Last edited by ryohazuki224; 2014-06-01 at 17:49. Reason: Wrong topic list
ryohazuki224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-06-02, 12:49   Link #1479
Frontier

Quote:
YouTube

I'm usually quite open to dubs, thought that said, it's really weird hearing english performances for the Kill La Kill cast .

Though going from this trailer and the cast list, I'd say the dub is looking pretty strong. I agree on Senketsu and Triple_R's comment on Satsuki being a little softer but otherwise I can see this cast doing a great job and growing on me .
Old 2014-06-02, 19:55   Link #1480
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

The English cast bugs me, but it's more a jarring bug than an "Eww, that sucks" bug. Should be better in context. Wouldn't be surprised to see the show on [AS] within a year.

"Goku Uniforms" sounds weird spoken aloud... Still better than "Ultima Uniforms", though...

Tags
action, aniplex, comedy, fanservice, high school, imaishi, trigger