Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-25, 12:50   Link #16801
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
I like the idea.

Traffic reports, Search and rescue, Law enforcement.
UAVs could prove useful to any of those things.
to maximize their efficiency all drones will be under the control of a super computer code name Skynet.
Old 2011-09-25, 12:59   Link #16802
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
the cradle of civilization.

of course, civilization has since grown up, moved out, and doesn't even send a postcard.
Oh they send plenty of postcards. The postcards just happen to be equipped with guns and military uniforms.
Old 2011-09-25, 22:18   Link #16803
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
to maximize their efficiency all drones will be under the control of a super computer code name Skynet.
Sorry to break your dream, but corporation don't want efficiency but profit , so unification might happen but after much fusions .
Old 2011-09-25, 22:20   Link #16804
andyjay729
YOU EEDIOT!!!

On a more positive note, ANA is about to receive the first delivery of the Boeing 787.

I toured the Boeing factory in Washington state a couple weeks ago (my brother actually works almost across the street for a company producing framework for the aircraft industry), and got to see the first one getting prepped for delivery, with the ANA livery already painted on.
Old 2011-09-26, 03:24   Link #16805
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Journalist Is Detained in China for Article on Sex Slaves
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/24/wo...Luoyang&st=cse

And now in China, to risk to ''tarnish'' a city's reputation is equal to revealing state secrets.
While in the US, they simply just sue you for defamation.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-09-26, 06:40   Link #16806
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Leaderless Iranian opposition seen lacking strategy
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...78O1B120110925
The previous repressions look like a success for Ahmadinejad...
Old 2011-09-26, 07:12   Link #16807
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
With the new 6-year post under new constitutional amendment, he can be in his office till 2024
yeah kinda sneaky guy here

Old 2011-09-26, 08:52   Link #16808
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
yeah kinda sneaky guy here
That's about the same trick than Hugo Chavex did.
Old 2011-09-26, 11:09   Link #16809
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I love it when my portfolio drops 4% in one day when nothing has changed except for the Fed grumbling something that everyone already knew... lazy ass institutional investors asleep at the wheel and twitching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Hmm... mine dropped around 4 per cent today as well. And, no, I'm not perturbed, because it's nothing compared to the shock I had last month, when it dropped all of 20 per cent in just two weeks.
...and, as expected, the stampede has begun.

Asian shares tumble as Europe fears deepen

My portfolio has fallen a further 6 percentage points since last Thursday, for a total 10 per cent loss in just one weekend. It looks like the first half of August all over again. Stock-market panic has become so common that it's hardly news any more. The bigger question now appears to be whether this latest sharp decline is the harbinger of a prolonged recession in the year to come.
Old 2011-09-26, 11:36   Link #16810
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
My portfolio has fallen a further 6 percentage points since last Thursday...
Mine is down 30% over the last half year or so. Still, I don't really care, since I got the shares for 50% of the regular price at the time... and I think they will rise again somewhen - I just have to wait long enough.
Actually if my company shares' price stays down at the end of this year, I will get more shares for my money, which is a good thing. ^-^
Old 2011-09-26, 11:47   Link #16811
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

The plus side of declining share prices is that it's a great time to buy in, lots of undervalued shares....
Old 2011-09-26, 11:58   Link #16812
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Nobody knows where the bottom is. I am holding my breath for this one.....probably not going to go in anytime soon.

If it doesn't recover by January next year, we are going for the second dip. At then somewhere in July or August, you will start to see many companies disappearing by the pound as they get absorbed by their bigger rivals.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-09-26, 12:12   Link #16813
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
The plus side of declining share prices is that it's a great time to buy in, lots of undervalued shares....
For those who have money to buy in, that is.
Old 2011-09-26, 12:26   Link #16814
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And for those companies that will survive...if the company falls, the stocks are worth nothing.

But that should only happen if this turns into a real Depression...1920-30s style.
Old 2011-09-26, 12:41   Link #16815
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Frankly, I blame a LOT of the wild shifts on the software algorithms the big investors use for their micro-second transactions. A lot of them are using the same damned software tweaked the same way -- natural result is a massive magnification of what should be minor bumps.

The people whom these stock falls *really* hurt are those who were about to retire - people about 10 years older than me. My aunt and uncle are in their early 60s and their dutifully constructed nest egg has been eviscerated (about 50% of its pre-2007 value). The result is neither can retire for the foreseeable future (which these days... its hard to plan more than six months ahead).
Old 2011-09-26, 12:44   Link #16816
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Frankly, I blame a LOT of the wild shifts on the software algorithms the big investors use for their micro-second transactions. A lot of them are using the same damned software tweaked the same way -- natural result is a massive magnification of what should be minor bumps.

The people whom these stock falls *really* hurt are those who were about to retire - people about 10 years older than me. My aunt and uncle are in their early 60s and their dutifully constructed nest egg has been eviscerated (about 50% of its pre-2007 value). The result is neither can retire for the foreseeable future (which these days... its hard to plan more than six months ahead).
if they were that close to retirement shouldn't they have shifted to something safer?
Old 2011-09-26, 13:37   Link #16817
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
if they were that close to retirement shouldn't they have shifted to something safer?
They did -> mutual funds that were advertised as "safer" (blue chip, etc). The safest zones these days (CDs, municipal bonds) make no interest at all and actually depreciate against inflation - most of them require long term lock downs (5yrs or more). They were in the process of sliding funds over but seriously, the crash was that sudden and most people in their boat thought it was a short term problem at best -- once it started cascading the small investor was "stuck for the ride".
Old 2011-09-26, 19:06   Link #16818
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
I don't think they have a choice.

Quote:
They did -> mutual funds that were advertised as "safer" (blue chip, etc). The safest zones these days (CDs, municipal bonds) make no interest at all and actually depreciate against inflation - most of them require long term lock downs (5yrs or more). They were in the process of sliding funds over but seriously, the crash was that sudden and most people in their boat thought it was a short term problem at best -- once it started cascading the small investor was "stuck for the ride".
As in all advertisements, take with a pinch of salt. Mutual funds do not allow one to customise the stock portfolios, and given how choppy the market is right now, mutual funds aren't the best place to put your money - even insurance annuities are a better option. Buy and hold is inevitably suicide.

Most fund managers aren't asleep at the wheel, they are just unsure of what would happen next due to the economic climate in the US right now. Also, managing such a large amount of money means that they have a responsibility to society, not just their clients; they can't dump their shares at a whim just because it is losing money, unlike traders.

And I have seen how younger and "more adaptive" fund managers work nowadays. Given the advent of technology, they are rushing to put money from one table to another. The older investors would simply just wait everything out patiently, though these sages don't have much longer to live (kinda ironic that they made so much money, yet splurge on feasts and wine and smokes till they get all sorts of cancer without having the time to pass on their wisdom to the next generation).

"Adapting to the environment" is a stupid thing to do. It is only for lower end employees who have to suck up to their bosses; don't these fund managers have their own philosophy and set of values to follow?

P.S What I have suspected is that all the fund managers are dropping their money into ETFs, which so bloody diluted right now that after the managers get their payout, there is much less money left for the fund owners.

EDIT : And an article is written about it. If people really took the author's word for it, Xellos would be rich.

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2011-09-26 at 19:19.
Old 2011-09-26, 21:31   Link #16819
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Has Western capitalism failed?
Old 2011-09-26, 22:18   Link #16820
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Rather then buying all these exotic mutual funds and whatnot, why not just buy stock in a relatively stable company, say, Coka Cola. Even if Coke's stock price takes a day to day tumble, it's not going to change the fact that at it's core Coke is a pretty profitable business, Coke isn't going to go out of business tomorrow.

There's a whole host of companies that are similiarly stable, you just have to make sure you're buying them at the right price. With market being what it is, I bet you could get stocks in those kind of companies for a steal.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international