AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 17 11.89%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 50 34.97%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 56 39.16%
7 out of 10 : Good 16 11.19%
6 out of 10 : Average 3 2.10%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.70%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-31, 06:13   Link #101
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
Don't forget Gungrave's 17 episodes of flashback, or Millennium Actress's 2 or so hours worth of flashback. If Berserk and those series are any worthwhile indicators, then massive amounts of flashback equate to massive amounts of win. And, c'mon, everyone's heard of Berserk. No self-respecting anime fan could look themselves in the mirror without having seen Berserk.
Yeah, hm, funny you should mention that. I dropped Berserk at ep4 and Gungrave at ep6... Booooooring.

Fortunately, Claymore is doing well so far, and judging by my appreciation of the manga, it's going to hold the distance.
Old 2007-05-31, 06:26   Link #102
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallionheart View Post
I wonder that as well. I think it may have to do with number of jobs taken and number/difficulty of opponents taken down. I doubt it it is particularly accurate in terms of true matchup (i.e., there's probably a number 25 out there that can wipe the floor with the number 20). While I have no proof, Elena (who submitted without a fight so I we'll never know who was the stronger) did speak to Clare with a respect/reverence that gave me the feeling that Clare was the superior (though it may be the fact that she joined a little later than Clare so sees her as her immediate superior). I think Elena just did alot more jobs than Clare (which got her in trouble because she over-used her abilities), and that resulted in a higher rank.
i cant see it just working that way tbh...there should be a constant change in ranking and thus match ups between the claymores could be a clear way in deciding whos better etc...like how noel and sofia tried to fight each other to determine their rank...

for this ep...the "awakened one" near the end was male...wtf? i thought claymores are all female i sense that the organization has been doing some secret experimenting...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-05-31, 06:51   Link #103
zato_1one

My most surprise is Miria's VA. Kikuko INOUE! *_* Oh! Miria-sensei

By the way, love Miria vs Clare moment. And that waterfall scene is fabulous!

The animation is OK. But the background art is still very high detail. Really love it.
Old 2007-05-31, 08:40   Link #104
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Send a message via ICQ to D a m i e n
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
It was 4 episodes of flashback. It was so good you completely lost track of how long it was. I guess 3 episodes was your limit. At least you are finally back to the story where you want to be.

And you are definitely in the minority.
ok i wanted to know if i was in the minority for every anime i watch.
i never said the flashback werent good or unneeded, but i would have liked it to be faster in order to give more time for current story to advance.
i have only read the first 3 books so i dont know how important it was to show us so much flashback. in term of story i think they overdid how theresa was overpowered, though it gives a nice view of how the awakened are powerfull. i think they could have cur all the fight in half to save time (i cant believe i m saying that, i used to love action packed anime...)
anyway the anime is keeping me entertain and that s all i m asking for.

another question why does people keep on calling "Claire" "Clare". i know japanese have issue pronouncing some sillable but i dont think it s a reason to fully change the name of a character due to that (try to make a japanese say "test" "subject", they ll add a "o" at the end for some reason, always made me giggle when i was teasing friends in osaka)
Old 2007-05-31, 08:44   Link #105
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMSabbel View Post
Hah, i would like his reaction to berserk... 25 episodes of flashback
But otoh, people here dont even seem to know who or what berserk is...
Bersek i actually knew i shouldnt watch the first episode in order not to be spoiled and the story in berserk is actually the most interresting part of the book, that is where all the characters devellopement takes place, if there was to be a second season of berserk, i d prolly watch it cause it s one of the rare medieval anime i liked and i love the books but that second season would only be a hack&slash anime wich would make it pretty low in my interrest list.
for me now story >>> action
(though i still have the whole fist of the north star series just as a memeto of my youth)
Old 2007-05-31, 08:46   Link #106
JaeEleutheria
Hoshi

Send a message via AIM to JaeEleutheria Send a message via MSN to JaeEleutheria
"Clare" is the way it is spelled in the manga translation done by Viz and in the sub of the anime by Eclipse. Therefore it is the accepted spelling.

From my understanding, there is no difference in pronouncing "Clare" or "Claire". The "i" is silent.
Old 2007-05-31, 08:56   Link #107
D a m i e n
permanentely bored

i m not in a country the manga are released in english, and in france it s Claire (wich a common first name and the "i" isnt that much silent in french ).

if the translation is clare in the book you are reading i m assuming it s intend though i m not convinced it s Clare. i think it s Claire but the prounonciation/hiragana/katakana cant handle the "ai" in claire.

bleh just rambling..
Old 2007-05-31, 09:43   Link #108
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

deleted post

Last edited by khryoleoz; 2007-06-01 at 00:53. Reason: unwittingly violated spoiler policy
Old 2007-05-31, 10:39   Link #109
Defiled one
Priscilla`s inner voice

Exactly^ If the youma flesh is so compatible with Humans....what would happens if they crossbreeded a human with a Youma?

A natural hybrid?
Old 2007-05-31, 12:19   Link #110
SimplyEd
Claytard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post
Yes, but

Spoiler:

Spoiler for How to make a Claymore, intermediate course:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D a m i e n
i m not in a country the manga are released in english, and in france it s Claire (wich a common first name and the "i" isnt that much silent in french ).

if the translation is clare in the book you are reading i m assuming it s intend though i m not convinced it s Clare. i think it s Claire but the prounonciation/hiragana/katakana cant handle the "ai" in claire.

bleh just rambling..
Here's a different approach:

Clare in japanese would be: クレア (Kurea)
Claymore in japanese: クレイモア (Kureimoa)

if you take out イモ those two syllables of Kureimoa, you get Kurea

if you take out the y-m-o letter from Claymore in english, you get Clare

In the end it still doesn't matter wether you want to use Claire instead
Old 2007-05-31, 12:52   Link #111
Kouvley

The difference in power between Clare and single digit claymores was very obvious in the flashback arc but finding out she's the weakest one was still a little suprising.

- Aha~ so that's the scene manga readers were talking about! I think they made the right choice to have it at the beginning of this ep rather than the end of the last one.
- The voices of the 3 new claymores suited them well, no complaints here.
- Some foreshadowing on Clare's potential.
- Appearance of a male awakened one, the organisation's got some explaining to do.

Overall another very good episode.
Old 2007-05-31, 13:09   Link #112
Kabitzin
1/3 of the Sea Slugs Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kouvley View Post
- Appearance of a male awakened one, the organisation's got some explaining to do.

Just tell them it was a trap, lolz.
Old 2007-05-31, 13:15   Link #113
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Very good episode.
47?! I was like WTF until I saw her fight the other claymore.
Mmm.. something's fish. I also feel Clare has had 2 powa-ups, somehow~
The circumstances are too convinient and smell of show 'n' kick-arse.
Old 2007-05-31, 13:37   Link #114
Defiled one
Priscilla`s inner voice

Oh mommy clare, Oh mommy Clare... How will Raki react?

Such perverted Organization but then again, Priscilla is too much powerfull to be roaming around! Letīs make new ones!

Clare could have been "very well" faking the fight....
Old 2007-05-31, 13:41   Link #115
cf18
Mecha Pilot

Poor Teresa can't even rest in peace. Even after death she still need to give our little Clare some sword fight 201 lesson.

So Clare was somehow made into a Claymore using Teresa's flesh instead of a Yoma's flesh. No wonder the man-in-black keep a close eye on the condition of her body, since she is quite experimental.

And Clare is the weakest. May be when she get the operation she was youger and weaker than other hand picked candidates, since her selected flesh can't stay fresh for too long...

Too bad Clare didn't have enough time to learn some some sharp mouth from Teresa. I want to how Helen reacts to "Yeah he is my man and he LOVES me enough to die with me ".
Old 2007-05-31, 15:58   Link #116
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
Interesting episode did you guys see the face Clare made when the guy in black mentioned Pricillia? I believe this is the first episode where we really do see Clare at a loss. She was quick to pull her sword when one of her own mentioned that Raki comforted her in special wayz. As for Clare being the lowest rank that means nothing, even the leader of slashers said when she saw Clare for the first time she felt she was the strongest. My theory is she was sensing Clare potential or latent power. Granted her skills did not match up during the sparing but that natural. Usually latent powers only emerge in life or death situtions or when something traumatic happens.

I found the other 2 Claymores very annoying and arrogant. I understand why they treat Clare the way they do but it was still shity. bickering with one another about rank does not get the job done

Now im curious to know was the information they recieved wrong on purpose or was it an honest mistake. Im guessing now the orginazation has a lot of intel and i cant see them making a mistake so large as to mistake common Yoma for an Awakened One and not just anyone a MALE one, come one something fishy. At least now we might get some back story on why the orginzation only uses females
Old 2007-05-31, 16:05   Link #117
Archmagination2002

Yeah I wonder whats going on with the modding here? So many ridiculous spoilers in these last 3 pages and I somehow got into trouble earlier here because I mention that Claymore doesn't follow the normal shounen power up clich(untapped hidden potential thing) and thats what makes Claymore so great.
Old 2007-05-31, 16:37   Link #118
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathkillz View Post
Quote:
I wonder that as well. I think it may have to do with number of jobs taken and number/difficulty of opponents taken down. I doubt it it is particularly accurate in terms of true matchup (i.e., there's probably a number 25 out there that can wipe the floor with the number 20). While I have no proof, Elena (who submitted without a fight so I we'll never know who was the stronger) did speak to Clare with a respect/reverence that gave me the feeling that Clare was the superior (though it may be the fact that she joined a little later than Clare so sees her as her immediate superior). I think Elena just did alot more jobs than Clare (which got her in trouble because she over-used her abilities), and that resulted in a higher rank.
i cant see it just working that way tbh...there should be a constant change in ranking and thus match ups between the claymores could be a clear way in deciding whos better etc...like how noel and sofia tried to fight each other to determine their rank...
Don't forget, once they are put on active duty they're assigned to their own specific regions of the continent. With the exception of these task forces, they probably have very little reason to come into contact with each other.

I'd speculate that current trainees have a general ranking among themselves (who's the current prodigy, etc), and with the Organization's experience they can probably peg them at approximate rating levels. Then when they get their mark, they have a few arranged fights around their level range to see just where they fit in. After that, ambitious ones may try to challenge higher ranking members whenever the opportunity arrises, but for the most part they don't change.

Also, think about how Clare could possibly be ranked 47, the absolute bottom rung. Sure she may suck compared to most of the other Claymores, but to be absolute last? That almost seems to be too much of a stretch to believe. But wait: Remember when Priscilla got rank 2? Irene never fought her, she just gave up her position as number 2 as soon as she saw Priscilla. Thus an actual fight isn't necessary unless both participants are vying for that position.

Clare doesn't seem to have any interest whatsoever with gaining rank within the Organization, so it's perfectly possible that if someone lower ranked than her challenged her, she's simply yield or put up only token resistance. While I doubt her actual skill puts her higher than maybe the 30's, I'm sure most of those in the 30's and 40's would be happy to challenge someone like Clare just to prove that they're not last.
Old 2007-05-31, 16:45   Link #119
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematics View Post
But wait: Remember when Priscilla got rank 2? Irene never fought her, she just gave up her position as number 2 as soon as she saw Priscilla. Thus an actual fight isn't necessary unless both participants are vying for that position.

Clare doesn't seem to have any interest whatsoever with gaining rank within the Organization, so it's perfectly possible that if someone lower ranked than her challenged her, she's simply yield or put up only token resistance. While I doubt her actual skill puts her higher than maybe the 30's, I'm sure most of those in the 30's and 40's would be happy to challenge someone like Clare just to prove that they're not last.
Claymore have the ability to detect Yoma powers which means they can detect it in each as well. Irene had sense that Priscilla had more Y0oma Power then she did. That was why she yield without fighting. That is also why Clare is dead last because she has the least amount of any Yoma power.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2007-06-04 at 03:27. Reason: removed potential spoiler
Old 2007-05-31, 17:03   Link #120
Kinematics
Let's play a game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
Claymore have the ability to detect Yoma powers which means they can detect it in each as well. Irene had sense that Priscilla had more Y0oma Power then she did. That was why she yield without fighting. That is also why Clare is dead last because she has the least amount of any Yoma power.
I agree and disagree. If they have a little secretary in the building going down the line of new recruits, saying, "Yes, you have a yoki rating of 913, go sit in chair number 27; you have a rating of 866, go sit in chair number 30." and so forth, perhaps. However Noel and Sophia also indicated that a direct fight can settle the matter, and there was no indication that they were going purely on yoki power; after all, while they're both powerful, their power manifests in different ways (agility vs strength), and they each felt that their particular power was better. Finally, Irene didn't say that the yoki power determined the ranking, she said that Priscilla's power was so high that she had no desire to even attempt a fight.

So while yoki power can be a strong indicator, especially when there are significant differences in power between the two participants, I still think that it's the challenge itself that determines rank.

Last edited by Pellissier; 2007-06-04 at 03:28. Reason: removed potential quoted spoiler
Closed Thread