Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-01, 19:26   Link #601
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

"There is no overkill. There is 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."

The F-22 would be to maintain air superiority. Not only against the North Koreans, but also if for some reason the Chinese or Russians send in aircraft. Also the reported performance of the F-22 would mean likely no US casualties to air combat, where with say an F-15 you might lose one in twenty or something rediculous ratio (much better than during Vietnam).
Old 2013-04-01, 20:50   Link #602
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

I just hope they don't nuke american stuff in Hawaii, Japan or the Philippines, Okinawa/Kyushu/Shikoku are so awesome that should be spared by crazy leaders, unlike what happened during WWII and almost during the Korean war
Old 2013-04-01, 21:12   Link #603
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post

The F-22 would be to maintain air superiority. Not only against the North Koreans, but also if for some reason the Chinese or Russians send in aircraft. Also the reported performance of the F-22 would mean likely no US casualties to air combat, where with say an F-15 you might lose one in twenty or something rediculous ratio (much better than during Vietnam).
Yeah, but it's somewhat under-kill when it comes to ground targets.

I'm sure the air superiority claim has some merit, but I can hardly imagine it being the main reason to deploy the F22's. North Korea Has a reasonable number of reasonably advanced mid cold war aircraft, but its highly questionable they've been able to really maintain them well with their recent economic problems. I think this is less casuistry aversion, and the Air Force wanting to get the F22 a chance to sharpen its teeth in the unfortunate event of an actual war breaking out.

OTOH, the lives of a couple of US pilots are a somewhat minor concern in the event of a Russian/Chinese intervention. In that kind of a event, I think the Air Force would be less concerned about the US pilots the F22 was able to save, and more of the potential for WW3 starting.
Old 2013-04-01, 21:14   Link #604
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I call for an invasion of North Korea for these :

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-04-01, 21:20   Link #605
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Well they probably will be pretty short, so they might be more to your liking.
Old 2013-04-01, 21:27   Link #606
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrestrial Dream View Post
Well they probably will be pretty short, so they might be more to your liking.
I want the second one from the right holding the flower. She looks cute.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-04-01, 21:42   Link #607
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

China's anger at North Korea overcomes worry over U.S. stealth flights
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9300JO20130401
Quote:
A show of force by U.S. stealth jets over the Korean Peninsula after talk of war by Pyongyang has caused only minor concern in China, a measure of Beijing's belief that the North is to blame for the tensions and that hostilities are not imminent.
Old 2013-04-01, 21:46   Link #608
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

Law of not jinxing yourself says you should not proudly proclaim this lest you tempt fate
Old 2013-04-01, 21:46   Link #609
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I want the second one from the right holding the flower. She looks cute.
I agree but too bad she is smiling oddly. Perhaps this is because she is forcing it to show respect for Kim Il-sung's statue.
Old 2013-04-01, 21:49   Link #610
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
I agree but too bad she is smiling oddly. Perhaps this is because she is forcing it to show respect for Kim Il-sung's statue.
Look closely, the meganekko on her left (our right) is holding her hand.

And I am not sure if yuri is forbidden in North Korea. If that is so, hence her forced smile in a different direction of the great leader's bronze cast.

Old 2013-04-01, 21:49   Link #611
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Air superiority allows the bombers to move in without so much worry. Plus I imagine the F-22 can be used as an anti-SAM attack craft for other planes thus protecting the Attack craft and Bombers. Not sure it it would be a few B-2s going in, or just old fashio B-52s followed up by Navy F/A-18s to hit specific targets with the F-22s provide air cover.

I would assume due to their low radar signiture they could be used to pick up radar systems used by AAA and SAMs or drop in unecpectedly on Korean airfields and wreck things on th ground (though other planes can do the bombing job more effectively I imagine....the getting in and out without being detected (save when things are exploding and someone sees the fighter visually) has its own benefits).

As for the boast. That was from combat tests against F-15s and the like, were basically the other aircraft couldn't touch the F-22a because they couldn't find them or something like that. I didn't believe it either at first.
Old 2013-04-01, 22:23   Link #612
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Keep in mind. China hates America tromping around in what they perceive as their backyard. Right now the US and the ROK are bringing out shotguns to shoot that stray that China has been taking care of intermittently over the years, but as of late have gotten annoyed with it pissing over everything as of late.

Still. It's kind of surreal to see the Chinese view American military power as a counterbalance against North Korean activity. Really dispels the idea that Pyongang is taking orders from Beijing. Rogue state really does come to mind with North Korea.
Quote:
Air superiority allows the bombers to move in without so much worry. Plus I imagine the F-22 can be used as an anti-SAM attack craft for other planes thus protecting the Attack craft and Bombers. Not sure it it would be a few B-2s going in, or just old fashio B-52s followed up by Navy F/A-18s to hit specific targets with the F-22s provide air cover.

I would assume due to their low radar signiture they could be used to pick up radar systems used by AAA and SAMs or drop in unecpectedly on Korean airfields and wreck things on th ground (though other planes can do the bombing job more effectively I imagine....the getting in and out without being detected (save when things are exploding and someone sees the fighter visually) has its own benefits).

As for the boast. That was from combat tests against F-15s and the like, were basically the other aircraft couldn't touch the F-22a because they couldn't find them or something like that. I didn't believe it either at first.
More secure air superiority IS a nice thing. And you're right about the potential for the F-22 as a very limited strike craft.

I recall one reason that the Air Force discontinued was because newer stealth aircraft coming up (including the F22) were just preposterously more stealthy than it. And it can carry 8 small diameter bombs...that could conceivably be put to work.

Still. F-22's aren't the absolute thing here. The ROK air-force by themselves could probably establish air superiority over the DPRK. The US Airforce/Navy are just there for very substantial backup. Only in the minds of the DPRK ministry of Truth are they going to be spending any hypothetical not getting JDAM'ed.
Old 2013-04-02, 00:20   Link #613
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Nice, safe non-response. I usually don't say this about China, but well played here.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-04-02, 00:45   Link #614
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Hope not already posted..

US deploys destroyer off tense Korean peninsula

Quote:
The USS Fitzgerald was moved to the southwestern coast after taking part in annual military exercises, instead of returning to its home port in Japan, a US defence official told AFP on condition of anonymity.
Old 2013-04-02, 01:15   Link #615
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

North Korea to restart Yongbyon nuclear reactor

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...id=msnhp&pos=1

Quote:
SEOUL - North Korea will restart all nuclear facilities including its shuttered Yongbyon nuclear reactor, its official KCNA news service said on Tuesday.

It will rebuild and restart nuclear facilities including its mothballed uranium enrichment facility and the 5 MW Yongbyon reactor which it closed in 2007, KCNA quoted a spokesman at North Korea's atomic energy agency as saying.

It said the nuclear facilities would be used for both electricity and military uses.

Earlier, North Korea's leader appeared to tamp down hostile rhetoric that had threatened impending war with the United States and South Korea in a key speech published Tuesday that implied the isolated country was shifting its focus to development.

Pyongyang has launched relentless verbal attacks and threats against the United States and South Korea since new U.N. sanctions punishing it for its February nuclear test were adopted and during military drills by the South and U.S. forces.

But the speech delivered on Sunday by Kim Jong-Un focused on how nuclear capability supported economic development although it accused the United States of seeking to drag North Korea into an arms race in a bid to hinder its economic improvement.

"It is on the basis of a strong nuclear strength that peace and prosperity can exist and so can the happiness of people's lives," Kim said in the speech delivered to the central committee meeting of the ruling Workers Party of Korea and published in full on Tuesday.

Threats from North Korea have prompted the United States to beef up its forces on the peninsula and station a warship off the Korean peninsula overnight.

North Korea had cut off hotlines between it, the United States, South Korea and the United Nations and threatened to close a joint economic zone it runs with the South. It put its missile forces on full alert and threatened U.S. bases in the Pacific and on the mainland.

The North has promised its citizens that it would become a strong and prosperous nation and is moving towards celebrations of the April 15 birthday of its founder Kim Il-sung, the grandfather of the current leader.

"The fact that this was made at the Party central committee meeting, which is the highest policy setting organ, indicates an attempt to highlight economic problems and shift the focus from security to the economy," said Yang Moo-jin of University of North Korean Studies in Seoul.

The 30-year old Kim, who took office in December 2011, said that no nuclear state had been invaded in modern history and that "the greater the nuclear attack capability, the greater the strength of the deterrent against an invasion."

"Our nuclear strength is a reliable war deterrent and a guarantee to protect our sovereignty," he said.

Okay....now what? Are they going to be bold and test that theory?
Old 2013-04-02, 01:33   Link #616
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
North Korea to restart Yongbyon nuclear reactor

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...id=msnhp&pos=1
Can's say much.... Kim's seemed to have wet his pants and got scared....
Old 2013-04-02, 01:37   Link #617
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Enlghten me a little bit here because I'm not too familiar with the subject. If NK has nuclear reactor, whether for military purpose or not, does that mean air bomber can't be used on NK less you want to make SK and/or China suffer from radiation when said reactor blow up from air bombing?
Old 2013-04-02, 01:40   Link #618
NoemiChan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
Enlghten me a little bit here because I'm not too familiar with the subject. If NK has nuclear reactor, whether for military purpose or not, does that mean air bomber can't be used on NK less you want to make SK and/or China suffer from radiation when said reactor blow up from air bombing?
My thoughts in their new "strategy"

> Still trying to provoke SK and US in trying to revived a nuclear facility..
> Wants to bring the whole peninsula into hell with NK if they will be defeated.
> Uses it as a reason not to nuke them.
Old 2013-04-02, 01:41   Link #619
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroishinigami View Post
It is a mini 5MW nuclear reactor, so the fallout would be minimal.

Old 2013-04-02, 02:17   Link #620
Ridwan

Consider this : in the wake of an actual deposition of the Kims from power should things really go bad for them, who will gonna replace them and what will become of NK ?