AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-21, 08:50   Link #1541
sa547
*Author

^
I think it's those shows with overpowered heroes who talk about superhuman fighting techniques and then trying to beat the hell out of each other till one of them bleeds.

Still, in a world largely dominated by shonen shows, there will be a very interested audience, however little their numbers are, for those who want to see more shows like MoP.
Old 2012-03-21, 09:56   Link #1542
Random Wanderer

I don't care about sales figures for silly overpriced Japanese releases. Bring it out for a reasonable price in the US and I will pay money for this series. There are never enough decent semi-hard sci-fi anime to go around.

Of course, I realize that if it doesn't sell well in Japan it will probably never be sold on DVD or Blu-Ray in the US, so I probably should care about Japanese sales figures. But the prices those guys charge are just ludicrous, so I have a hard time thinking that they have any real connection to reality.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 10:06   Link #1543
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

What a catch-22 we're in, eh? I'm just worried that we _won't_ get a 2nd season because of this tanking.
Old 2012-03-21, 10:23   Link #1544
Random Wanderer

They're already got the timeslot for a 26-episode series, and all the material is already made (since the series was meant to air a year ago), so I don't think we have to worry about them cutting us off at episode 13, if that's what you mean. All the money for that has already been spent, so there's no reason to not finish the series.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 10:55   Link #1545
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
I've always though the pricing structure, and how they market and place anime DVD/BluRays is a horrible way to do business. The absurd price + low content of the discs narrows their customer base to a very small niche market.

It comes down to perceived value.

Take 'Ben-to' or 'Yuru Yuri' or 'Denpa Onna ....' all three of those shows I enjoyed immensely, I would love to see more of them (Yuru Yuri is getting a 2nd season) and I'd really like to support the companies who did all the work animating such fine shows ... but I didn't think they were spectacular enough to drop $500+shipping per show just to have the discs sitting on my shelf*

There are a whole lot of decent shows, a handful of good shows, and a few really spectacular ones, but how their pricing structure works, you have to be fanatical about a show to buy it, so I guess they end up turning away 80-90% of their potential customer base.

And they base their whole industry on this. I'm really surprised any anime gets made at all.

*To watch a BluRay, or a R2 DVD I have to beak the law, to use a product that I legally purchased. Not to mention the time/HD space/annoyance factor of ripping, de-DMRing, transcoding plus adding the subs in.... I have to shake my head at the Media Industry, and why they choose to treat their paying customers as criminals.

Ranting a bit more...

And the mostly dead US anime industry seems to pick the most mediocre shows to license, and then saddle the whole process with the expensive dub production, which usually ends up being underwhelming. I really want a Japanese producer to wake up one morning and realize *shock* If we lower the price on these discs, we'd sell a whole lot more, sure we'll make less per disc, but the volume sales will far surpass the measly returns we were getting. And, what if we included an English subtitle (since we already have it timed from Crunchyroll) for those crazy Gaijin who happen to like these shows. We don't have to cater to 'Mainstream' but having the subtitles on a reasonably priced disc greatly expands our potential customer base. Brilliant!

But alas, the world isn't that sane.
I think you should read this: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2012-03-07 It's actually a pretty decent piece that explains everything you just mentioned and explains why the current model is what it is. I'm as unhappy about it as you but there's quite a long history of why lowering prices doesn't bring in the kind of volumes we think it should.
Old 2012-03-21, 15:26   Link #1546
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00Coyote View Post
And the mostly dead US anime industry seems to pick the most mediocre shows to license, and then saddle the whole process with the expensive dub production, which usually ends up being underwhelming. I really want a Japanese producer to wake up one morning and realize *shock* If we lower the price on these discs, we'd sell a whole lot more, sure we'll make less per disc, but the volume sales will far surpass the measly returns we were getting. And, what if we included an English subtitle (since we already have it timed from Crunchyroll) for those crazy Gaijin who happen to like these shows. We don't have to cater to 'Mainstream' but having the subtitles on a reasonably priced disc greatly expands our potential customer base. Brilliant!

But alas, the world isn't that sane.
Sounds like a great plan to me.

Endless " Crazy Gaijin who happen to like these shows" Soul
Old 2012-03-21, 15:32   Link #1547
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
I don't care about sales figures for silly overpriced Japanese releases. Bring it out for a reasonable price in the US and I will pay money for this series. There are never enough decent semi-hard sci-fi anime to go around.

Of course, I realize that if it doesn't sell well in Japan it will probably never be sold on DVD or Blu-Ray in the US, so I probably should care about Japanese sales figures. But the prices those guys charge are just ludicrous, so I have a hard time thinking that they have any real connection to reality.
And this is one reason - among many - for my wish for anime to develop in the US - as in, domestic anime production. But, I fear: I may have to be dead before anything remotely close like that happening.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 15:39   Link #1548
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As someone that has been fooling around with Trek fiction for a long time, I can pretty much find a way to get almost anything I want into the lore and make it work. I can even get the JJA version of the starships to work with say the FASA setting of Star Trek. Or even the Star Fleet Battles version of Star Trek. It is even viable within Canon Star Trek. 2258 is a ways before the late 2260s..enough time for Mr. Scott to give Enterprise a refit to make her look like she normally does.

Space is vast. If one is willing to imagine things, everything can work. Just set it in a different galaxy. Who's going to be able to prove it? There are billions of galaxies out there with billions of stars each. Plenty of room for all the stories.
Old 2012-03-21, 15:52   Link #1549
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Space is vast. If one is willing to imagine things, everything can work. Just set it in a different galaxy. Who's going to be able to prove it? There are billions of galaxies out there with billions of stars each. Plenty of room for all the stories.
Are wookies and ewoks furries? Prove it.

Likewise. For Mouretsu, the ship designs (especially the knife shaped Serenity vessels). Possible.
Running around space dressed in 17th century Earth style. Also possible. Who knows? People beyond our own star system may share the same fashion tastes.
Whole planets with Earth-like weather that's 99% water surface? I sure freakin' hope so.

Crazy royal families? They should be everywhere too.

Unfortunately with this series. We need to see more planets, just to see what they look like.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-21, 18:12   Link #1550
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

But according to the prologue narration, Serenity is a principality with just... seven planets? Did I get that right?
Old 2012-03-21, 18:15   Link #1551
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Marika might have 99 problems but her Harem isn't one

Images
harem
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2012-03-21, 21:58   Link #1552
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Since they found the Ghost Ship, and we are nearly to the halfway point, I guess there will be at least one or two more story arcs. So plenty of time for Marika to get other missions or get into trouble....or expand her "harem".

There is still what I suppose is the crew of Chiaki's father's ship that we've not seen in the show yet, but are in the opening and credits.
Old 2012-03-21, 22:48   Link #1553
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post

There is still what I suppose is the crew of Chiaki's father's ship that we've not seen in the show yet, but are in the opening and credits.
Wasn't there a brief glimpse of it when it was docking with the cruise liner when Dark Queen Chiaki was playing to role of Space Pirate in Marika's place?

Endless "There she is!" Soul
Old 2012-03-22, 00:33   Link #1554
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The ship we've seen, but the crew? Not really.

http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/...cape-chiaki_ku
Old 2012-03-22, 09:24   Link #1555
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Oh, the crew! Reading comprehension fail on my part.

Endless "" Soul
Old 2012-03-22, 12:48   Link #1556
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
I'm thinking of getting this:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods...Y=NEOGDS-61307

I just need to know what is for exactly as I never seen that type of goods.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 13:30   Link #1557
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
I'm thinking of getting this:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/goods/goods...Y=NEOGDS-61307

I just need to know what is for exactly as I never seen that type of goods.
Large Cell Phone Strap?

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 14:16   Link #1558
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Figures, well I don't have a cell phone so I guess I can't really use it.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 15:33   Link #1559
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

I found on MAL(and I guess it's mentioned in the Mania link a few pages back) that the Mouretsu Pirates LE BD vol 1 sold another 800 in its second week(I know that first week sales are usually the highest and it drops sharply after that). The single "Mugen no Ai" appears to be doing well(how good is 48,000 as far as anime singles go?)

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=415779

If the home video sales are solid, but not specutacular and the music does well(I bet Starchild Records would be happy with that), maybe that's a hopeful sign. I also wonder if the sales of the light novels will increase thanks to the anime, and hopefully the merchandise will sell. I would love to get a Figma or Nendoroid of Jenny. (Maybe I'll just look into getting one of Chiaki-chan if one of Jenny never gets made)
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-22, 16:07   Link #1560
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I'm guessing that a reason to not have Chiaki as the main is that there is only so much room in the universe. It can't handle a cold faced, glasses wearing, hime cut, tsundere, extremely large ham, HanaKana voiced, pirate queen. It is too much awesome for one universe to contain.

I wonder if the tales of the dark haired Pirate Captain will conflict with the stories of the red haired Pirate Captain...and some liner passangers (and perhaps crewmembers) will be dissapointed they got the Red headed one instead of the more over the top black haired one.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri