AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2010-05-24, 13:35   Link #1
limao
DeAd

What can beat the DVD?

As you know DVD is a practical format and a standard all around the world.
Blu-rays have no chance because despite having twice more lines, from a couch view its nearly the same stuff unless you have a ... 200inch TV?

Also i dont see a bright future for the "blur display+glasses" (aka 3D) they're trying to implement to desperately justify Blu-Ray existence.

For me the future of TV isn't the actual panorama (lots of black bars everywhere, failed hd content and upcoming blur crap)

For me the future has only 1 name: HOLOGRAPHIC 360º Television
But this is like alien technology for now, so GO DVD ^^

--
buh i miss my childhood vhs experience
limao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 13:58   Link #2
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

High volume memory sticks produced by Sony. I remember gizmodo ran an article about it, I think the maximum volume is 40GB.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 15:00   Link #3
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Try watching a DVD on a 1080p HDTV, then watch a BD on the same TV. You will be able to tell the difference.

It's extremely easy for me to tell between DVD rip fansubs and HD rip fansubs on my laptop's 1366x768 screen... and that's not even a really big screen, it's 15".
Old 2010-05-24, 15:30   Link #4
limao
DeAd

Its funny you mention that syna...
I have a 40 inch 1080p LCD from Sony, and dvds are as clear as blu-ray from couch distance (about 2m), i really dont think i want to spend some extra 10 bucks for something that is nearly the same for human eye, also blu-ray i can only play on ps3, dvd i can play in all rooms, so basically i would be paying more for less...
Blu-ray only for ps3 games i buy, the rest DVDs will do fine for me...
I might consider buying Blu-Ray movies in very exceptional cases when i really like the title and as long the blu-ray offers the whole screen on my TV, something like Evangelion 2.0 otherwise i wont even consider it...

But that's me...different ppl have different opinions/tastes/preferences...
limao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 15:57   Link #5
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

It's not even an issue anymore since BDs do not cost any more than DVDs these days.
Old 2010-05-24, 16:14   Link #6
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by limao View Post
Its funny you mention that syna...
I have a 40 inch 1080p LCD from Sony, and dvds are as clear as blu-ray from couch distance (about 2m), i really dont think i want to spend some extra 10 bucks for something that is nearly the same for human eye, also blu-ray i can only play on ps3, dvd i can play in all rooms, so basically i would be paying more for less...
Blu-ray only for ps3 games i buy, the rest DVDs will do fine for me...
I might consider buying Blu-Ray movies in very exceptional cases when i really like the title and as long the blu-ray offers the whole screen on my TV, something like Evangelion 2.0 otherwise i wont even consider it...

But that's me...different ppl have different opinions/tastes/preferences...
My dad has a similar setup to yours (42 inch 1080P from about 2.5m) and with my glasses on there is a definite difference between upscaled DVD and Bluray, at least for live action movies (I haven't actually compared using anime). However, DVD still looks pretty good in most situations.

Now when I watch stuff on my 22 inch LCD monitor, then the difference is quite noticeable just because I'm sitting so much closer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
It's not even an issue anymore since BDs do not cost any more than DVDs these days.
This would actually be news to me.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-24, 16:33   Link #7
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I see DVDs of movies for $20, and BDs of movies for $20. All the time.

Anime may be a different can of worms though.
Old 2010-05-24, 17:57   Link #8
chikorita157
ひきこもりアイドル
*IT Support

Bluray discs vs DVD picture quality doesn't matter much on screens under 46 inch. If you sit far away of the screen, most people aren't going to notice the picture quality that much.

I use my Playstation 3 as my DVD/Bluray player and it upscales all my DVDs to 720p. I didn't notice much difference in picture quality. Although Blurays look nice, they come with more DRM than a regular DVD. What I like about DVDs is that I can run a DVD ripper and bam, I got a backup ofd my DVD. Since the DRM keys change, Blu-ray rippers don't usually work unless you update them... and it also requires a Blu-ray drive that most computers don't come with.
Old 2010-05-25, 04:26   Link #9
seven|x_x
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノ​ヽノ \ / \

personally i see physical media dying out. online distribution can pick up speed as broadband becomes more prevalent, and the ease of networked tv's and consoles mean that its already becoming accessible to those without a htpc.

on the video quality front, i see a definite difference; however i sit in front of my monitor, not across the room from a tv.
seven|x_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 11:02   Link #10
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

I sure as hell notice the difference between a 480p fansub and a 720p fansub on my 15.6" laptop screen...

480p = BLOCKY AND FUZZY
720p = looks p good
Old 2010-05-28, 15:10   Link #11
Jaden

Yeah, the HD fansubs clearly look better to me than DVD rips. I got a 18,3 inch screen. It's less noticeable when watching tv from a distance than when staring at my computer screen.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 15:51   Link #12
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
High volume memory sticks produced by Sony. I remember gizmodo ran an article about it, I think the maximum volume is 40GB.
According to:

http://www.brighthub.com/computing/h...les/33110.aspx

128GB Flash Drives are now available. Watch out for fakes though.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-28, 21:20   Link #13
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Sandisk already announced the SDXC standard, which supersedes the current SDHC standard and breaks the existing 32GB limit on SDHC. The SDXC standard has a theoretical limit of 2TB capacity, using 25nm MLC NAND.
Old 2010-05-29, 20:51   Link #14
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Sandisk already announced the SDXC standard, which supersedes the current SDHC standard and breaks the existing 32GB limit on SDHC. The SDXC standard has a theoretical limit of 2TB capacity, using 25nm MLC NAND.
So, how soon 'till we see laptops with 2TB flash memories, or 2TB thumb drives?
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-29, 21:12   Link #15
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Probably a good long while. I haven't even seen 32GB MicroSD cards for sale yet, and they were announced earlier this year.
Old 2010-05-29, 21:39   Link #16
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
So, how soon 'till we see laptops with 2TB flash memories, or 2TB thumb drives?
It'll be a while. Right now, a 256GB Kingston Data Traveller DT310 thumb drive goes for $800 in Canada and probably not much less in the US. I've seen 512GB SSDs in laptops but those go for like $1600 (which is one of the reasons why a fully tricked out Sony Viao Z1190 costs over $4000).

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
0utf0xZer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-30, 06:46   Link #17
Sides

Quote:
Probably a good long while. I haven't even seen 32GB MicroSD cards for sale yet, and they were announced earlier this year.
You can get them, most stores order it on request. The sandisk ones are rated class 2, so probably good enough for phones and compact cameras.

Unless you are a film collector, films on DVD are good enough. Most of us just watch movies once and through it in the corner anyway. Now why blu-ray and digital distriibution will fail/is falling, is quite simple, shitty mastering. For every good mastered release you get 10000 crappy ones. But what i want to see, is that the next media, replacing DVD, will be pocket size, maybe dat size, so it can fit into my pockets.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-05-31, 22:41   Link #18
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0utf0xZer0 View Post
It'll be a while. Right now, a 256GB Kingston Data Traveller DT310 thumb drive goes for $800 in Canada and probably not much less in the US. I've seen 512GB SSDs in laptops but those go for like $1600 (which is one of the reasons why a fully tricked out Sony Viao Z1190 costs over $4000).
The reason SSDs are expensive is it's all about speed and reliability; the quality of the controller and NAND is much higher in SSDs than in typical solid-state storage like USB flash drives and SD cards.

The highest-end SSDs which operate on a PCI-E interface (not SATA) are extremely expensive but are blazingly fast and very reliable (most enterprise drives use expensive SLC NAND though there are more MLC enterprise drives starting to show up as MLC becomes more reliable with better wear leveling, etc).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
You can get them, most stores order it on request. The sandisk ones are rated class 2, so probably good enough for phones and compact cameras.

Unless you are a film collector, films on DVD are good enough. Most of us just watch movies once and through it in the corner anyway. Now why blu-ray and digital distriibution will fail/is falling, is quite simple, shitty mastering. For every good mastered release you get 10000 crappy ones. But what i want to see, is that the next media, replacing DVD, will be pocket size, maybe dat size, so it can fit into my pockets.
I'd like to get a 32GB MicroSDHC card for an MP3 player, so Class 2 is fine with me. I just can't find 'em.

Now I don't know about media like video, but software is going the digital distribution route, and I know I've seen Kaspersky and a few other apps available on USB flash drives in addition to DVD.

Software will likely go to cheap NAND and Steam-alike digital distribution. Video might stay on optical media, but I hope that read-only SD cards become the standard for removable media. It's a lot easier to put a card reader in a computer than an optical drive.
Old 2010-06-01, 03:51   Link #19
Poetic Justice
100Shots100Hits LuluLaLu

I can't believe there are people who still claim that there isn't a noticeable difference between dvd and blu rays. I mean seriously.
Poetic Justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-01, 14:34   Link #20
Random32
Also a Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
I can't believe there are people who still claim that there isn't a noticeable difference between dvd and blu rays. I mean seriously.
if you sit a few meters away from the TV, there isn't any noticeable difference
now if you are viewing on a laptop or something where you are closer to the screen, you might notice a bit less quality on the DVD.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote