AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-14, 15:00   Link #25161
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Fully automatic weapons are illegal across the entire country since the 1930s without a special permit (that covers collectors, historians, and museum collections for the most part).

What weapons were used is a better question if this debate is to be brought up (again). Last time people were going off about a AR-15 that in fact jammed and the deaths were caused by a shotgun and pistol instead of the "feared, nasty, deadly, 'assault weapon'".
Ahh yes, because this looks like a Museum:

Old 2012-12-14, 15:01   Link #25162
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddyofAus View Post
America will never fucking learn. It's Gun Laws are TOO LENIENT.
i don't own a gun, think the NRA is a bunch facist but your statement is idiotic.

This isn't about guns but a mentally unbalance individual. You can outlaw gun ownership and stuff like this will still happen.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:05   Link #25163
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Ahh yes, because this looks like a Museum:

Ahh yes, because NONE OF THOSE ARE FULLY AUTOMATIC WEAPONS
Old 2012-12-14, 15:05   Link #25164
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i don't own a gun, think the NRA is a bunch facist but your statement is idiotic.

This isn't about guns but a mentally unbalance individual. You can't outlaw gun ownership and stuff like this will still happen.
Less often. There will also be more forewarning if there's a long process to acquire guns in the first place. Background checks, for example .. or heck, even just time for impulses to fade and cooler heads to prevail..

Anyways, no need to get into this now, let's focus on the poor tragedy. Any additional news?

Reply hazy, ask again later
Old 2012-12-14, 15:09   Link #25165
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post

This isn't about guns but a mentally unbalance individual. You can outlaw gun ownership and stuff like this will still happen.
Deleted for obvious reasons.

Last edited by GoddyofAus; 2012-12-14 at 16:02. Reason: merge double post...
Old 2012-12-14, 15:18   Link #25166
Asuras
Dictadere~!

Quote:
YOU'RE DEFLECTING. WHY can I walk into a Walmart and buy a Shotgun?? What is the logical justification for that? Hunting?? You people need better hobbies.
Their reasoning is that if they have a gun they'll be that much more prepared to fight a government with funds and technology exceeding the combined power of every other military in the world.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:19   Link #25167
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
YOU'RE DEFLECTING. WHY can I walk into a Walmart and buy a Shotgun?? What is the logical justification for that? Hunting?? You people need better hobbies.
I'm not deflecting, you just have zero reading comprehension. You refute a (correct btw) statement that fully automatic weapons require special registration by posting a regular sales ad full of non-fully automatic weapons as if they are supposed to be fully automatic weapons.

Also, shotguns aren't fully automatic weapons either, try reading next time.

And this is why I say the gun control debates should be in the gun control thread, this is just going to get derailed into a mindless back and forth over guns instead of the actual tragedy.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:20   Link #25168
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asuras View Post
Their reasoning is that if they have a gun they'll be that much more prepared to fight a government with funds and technology exceeding the combined power of every other military in the world.
I've found the real reason I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
I'm not deflecting, you just have zero reading comprehension. You refute a (correct btw) statement that fully automatic weapons require special registration by posting a regular sales ad full of non-fully automatic weapons as if they are supposed to be fully automatic weapons.

Also, shotguns aren't fully automatic weapons either, try reading next time.

And this is why I say the gun control debates should be in the gun control thread, this is just going to get derailed into a mindless back and forth over guns instead of the actual tragedy.
You aren't answering the question. I am convinced you either don't have a justifiable answer or you're hiding.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-12-14 at 15:35. Reason: merge another double post...
Old 2012-12-14, 15:21   Link #25169
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Semi-automatic rifles and shotguns are not automatic weapons. Automatic weapons will shoot multiple bullets out of the same barrel by holding the trigger down. Semi-automatics require you to a least pull the trigger again (it will automaticly reload a fresh bullet into the chamber, but you have to pull the trigger again).

Just because it looks like a machine gun doesn't mean it is a machine gun.

Presently the weapons are identified as two 9mm pistols and possibly a .223 caliber rifle. make and model not given yet.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:22   Link #25170
GDB

So, for actual news related to the news, found a noteworthy quote on yahoo:

Quote:
First grade teacher Kaitlin Roig, 29, locked her 14 students in a classroom bathroom and listened to "tons of shooting" until police came to help.

"It was horrific," Roig said. "I thought we were going to die."

She said that the terrified kids were saying, "I just want Christmas…I don't want to die. I just want to have Christmas."
If that doesn't tug on your heart, then you may have green fur.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:24   Link #25171
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
You aren't answering the question. I am convinced you either don't have a justifiable answer or you're hiding.
I've literally listed it out every reason why your response to xellos was factually incorrect. If you want to discuss the gun control issues, post it in the appropriate threads, which we already have, I'll be more than happy to debate with you there.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-12-14 at 20:49. Reason: over the line
Old 2012-12-14, 15:24   Link #25172
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
What I don't like is people using this tragedy to drive their own political points, not to mention when it's the fking wrong thread, it's just downright disgusting to me.

You want to have that discussion, by all means, go ahead, but do it IN THE RIGHT FRAKKING THREAD instead of derailing this one.
Look at you wanting to retain this thread as strictly as a NEWS POSTING THREAD, without any discussion on the topic. It's impossible to have a news thread without having any discussion on it.

And deal with it, these shooting incidents happen because of a complete lack of political will to do anything about it. These shootings have been happening again, again, and again. What have been done since then? Nothing, other than to spend more money on security; but nothing on gun control, because of powerful gun lobbyists with deep bank accounts.

And this topic will die down anyways - until the NEXT SHOOTING.

===

But to "stay on topic", here's another news item for you:

Quote:
Beijing (CNN) -- Twenty-two primary school children were wounded in a knife attack Friday in central China, authorities said.
The attack took place at the entrance to the Chenpeng Village Primary School in Henan province, according to the public information department of Guangshan county, the area where the school is located. An adult was also wounded, it said.

A number of measures were introduced at the time, including increased security at schools across the country and a regulation requiring people to register with their national ID cards when buying large knives.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/world/...ack/index.html

Yea. The Connecticut shooting was not the only school attack today. It's just strange comparing the two...
Old 2012-12-14, 15:25   Link #25173
flying ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
I'm sorry - but - the gun control debate is so freaking relevant to the current news

... and the liberal and hard left media that I've encountered today (I read plenty from their side too, so I know what the enemies opponents are up to) is soo trying hard to insert that.

For the deeply committed, here's your chance to dive in along with Bloomberg, Brady et al

(if you have cable, tune in to this channel!)

MSNBC launches the gun control conversation
http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/...on-152011.html

Quote:
In the wake of recent shootings, from Aurora to Kansas City, many have argued that it is not the time to talk about gun control.

But as the death toll from today's tragic shooting in Netwown, Conn., was rising, MSNBC and others in the media spurned that familiar refrain.

MSNBC’s Alex Wagner said the elementary school shooting will hopefully offer “some political capital” to reform gun laws.

“It is hopefully — we say this every single time we cover one of these things — a line in the sand,” Wagner said. “There has got to be some kind of measurable change, some kind of reaction. One would hope that there will be some political capital to reform the way in which we handle gun and gun violence in this country.”

Throughout the show, Wagner and her panel discussed gun violence and gun control. MSNBC contributor and Washington Post columnist Jonathan Capehart added shortly after Wagner's comments that if Friday’s violence “doesn’t sear the consciousness of political leaders from the president on down, I don’t know what will.”

On "Andrea Mitchell Reports," NBC's David Gregory noted that “the politics have stalled" on the issue.

"Even if the starting point is we have an epidemic of gun violence – what do we do to deal with that? Culturally what do we do with mentally disabled people? How do we address this that just automatically doesn’t go to the place of gun control?" Gregory asked.

"Again, in this situation, we have no idea what the access to weapons here – what any of the factors were and we won’t speculate about that," he said. "But we have another horrifying episode of gun violence and it involves children and unfortunately, that is going to only heighten everyone’s vitriol on both sides, but it’s going to heighten everyone’s awareness about this and the discussion about it in the most horrifying of ways because of whose involved.”

USA Today's Washington bureau chief Susan Page said "today is not the day to talk about the politics," but asked, "is this the tipping point? I don't know the answer to that."

Other media figures were more vocal on Twitter.

"27 SHOT dead by GUN at CT elementary school, 14 r kids, & if I say our lawmakers & gun laws are killing us I'll be told now ain't the time," Philip Gourevitch, the New Yorker staff writer wrote.

"We know 27 people were shot and killed, including 18 kids. If this is not time to discuss gun control, when is??" wrote Bill Press, the progressive radio, tweeted.

"If any other plague was leaving piles of dead bodies all over the country, including children, our country would figure it out," said New York Times media columnist David Carr.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:26   Link #25174
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Quote:
I've literally listed it out every reason why your response to xellos was factually incorrect. If you want to discuss the gun control issues, post it in the appropriate threads, which we already have, I'll be more than happy to debate with you there.

I ASKED YOU, WHY CAN I BUY A SHOTGUN FROM WALMART?? Stop playing dumb and ANSWER.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-12-14 at 20:50. Reason: quoted part got edited
Old 2012-12-14, 15:29   Link #25175
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Look at you wanting to retain this thread as strictly as a NEWS POSTING THREAD, without any discussion on the topic. It's impossible to have a news thread without having any discussion on it.

It's one thing to have discussion on the new topic, it's another to hijack it completely for a different topic.

FFS, just look at the posts in the last couple pages. It's not about gun control in relation to the shooting as there were originally, it just devolves straight into gun control.

Quote:
I ASKED YOU, WHY CAN I BUY A SHOTGUN FROM WALMART?? Stop playing dumb and ANSWER.
Since it's obvious you can't follow longer sentences well, here it is again "If you want to discuss the gun control issues, post it in the appropriate threads, which we already have, I'll be more than happy to debate with you there."

Here, I'll even link it for you: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthre...ontrol&page=16

Debating the actual points here would just completely derail this thread and get modded anyway.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:30   Link #25176
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
The same reason I can buy a chainsaw, bow and arrow, clubs, power tools, fertilizers, etc. Because they're all tools.

I think you need to take a time out and calm down. There are good reasons to be upset about today but you're not using any of them. You're also ignoring a terrible tragedy today at another school ... which involved a knife. It doesn't matter what kind of tool you have when you chose to attack defenseless people in a confined space - its going to be horrific.

Back on topic, I notice that the perp is another coward who didn't want to stay around to observe and accept the consequences of his actions.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:31   Link #25177
GDB

Quote:

And deal with it, these shooting incidents happen because of a complete lack of political will to do anything about it. These shootings have been happening again, again, and again. What have been done since then? Nothing, other than to spend more money on security; but nothing on gun control, because of powerful gun lobbyists with deep bank accounts.
The point is, this isn't a political thread. This isn't a gun control thread. We have those. In fact, I've linked them for ease of access! If you want to make it political, which gun control discussions always do, take it there. We don't need half a dozen pages on this crap in this thread when there are threads specifically for it.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:33   Link #25178
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As for buying guns at Walmat (that depends entirely on which state one lives in by the way), it is a right that Americans have to be allowed to arm themselves with firearms. Some consider it a right designed to ensure the rest of the Bill of Rights can be protected against potental tyranny in the US Government.

Other to defend against invasion. How realistict these defenders could be (considering the level of modern military technology and that gun owners are not nearly as well trained as they would be if they were still actively in a militia) is debatable. Both against foreign invaders and against the US Government.

But it is still a right, and people tend to want to defend those rights on the justification that "if they can take away one, they can take away them all" domino effect idea.

The problem with this situation is that it is nearly impossible to make an outright defense against these sort of things without turning to paranoia, or radically altering how America looks into people's mental health. Either way, it will require massive social and perhaps political change if one wanted to prevent this sort of thing from happening.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:33   Link #25179
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
FFS, just look at the posts in the last couple pages. It's not about gun control in relation to the shooting as there were originally, it just devolves straight into gun control.
Well, they're inherently linked and impossible to separate -- until the problems as a whole are solved. Ironically, it is a solved problem, as demonstrated by various countries around the world, who do not have this as a problem. It's simply a matter of America willing or unwilling to implement those solutions.

So anyways. I'll just have to ask: Where do we go from here? So far, this great country of ours has been writing these incidents off - until the next one occurs.

===

And it's funny. I am imaging various school settings in my head - from various anime settings. Like Clannad, Sakurasou, Negima, Accel World, etc. Y'know what many of them have in common? Large concrete fences, with a big metal gate -- where if students are late, they get closed off.
Old 2012-12-14, 15:35   Link #25180
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The same reason I can buy a chainsaw, bow and arrow, clubs, power tools, fertilizers, etc. Because they're all tools.

I think you need to take a time out and calm down. There are good reasons to be upset about today but you're not using any of them. You're also ignoring a terrible tragedy today at another school ... which involved a knife. It doesn't matter what kind of tool you have when you chose to attack defenseless people in a confined space - its going to be horrific.

Back on topic, I notice that the perp is another coward who didn't want to stay around to observe and accept the consequences of his actions.
A Shotgun is comparable to a Chainsaw is it? Okay then, so maybe wqe should start cutting down trees with 12 gauges.

Chainsaws were created and designed to cut down trees. Guns were created and designed to kill things. There is a big difference.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international