AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Little Busters

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-18, 11:59   Link #1101
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Ano Natsu qualifies as a commercial and critical hit too, especially considering since pretty much everyone expected it to tank commercially.
Old 2012-07-18, 12:03   Link #1102
Dr. Casey

Ano Natsu rules
Old 2012-07-18, 13:02   Link #1103
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Really?

I'm hardly the biggest KyoAni-lover on this site (I've had plenty of critical comments about them in recent months and years), but you're drastically downplaying the quality of their Key adaptation work, imo.

They may not be downright infallible at it, but they're incredibly good at it.

So, no, it's not "very possible" that another studio and development team could surpass them. I honestly think you're doing a real disservice to KyoAni in making it sound so easy to surpass them. It's not. It's very hard simply to match KyoAni (when it comes to good adaptation work), let alone surpass them.

The initial reaction to JC Staff handling Little Busters! was probably a bit too harsh and negative, but now it's starting to swing to the other extreme. We'll be fortunate (and I'll be pleased) if JC Staff does 90% as good a job with LB! as KyoAni did with Clannad. To think that more than that is "very possible" is people just setting themselves up to be disappointed, imo.

Cautious and reasonable optimism is what's best here, imo. Not this pie in the sky "They'll surpass KyoAni!" thinking.
Totoum is correct in that I didn't infer that its easy to surpass KyoAni when it comes to adaptations. I'm just sick and tired of people making absolute claims about how great and infallible KyoAni is and how they are the de facto choice when adapting visual novels.

Now, I haven't seen many anime adapted from VNs, but I found Bee Train's Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom to be very good, and White Fox's Steins;Gate was better than all the Key-KyoAni anime projects. And as someone who played the Clannad VN before watching the anime, I had my own share of complaints as to how KyoAni handled the adaptation. And Ishihara's directing style is, well, rather mellow and unsensational. He's good for his consistency, at least. (These are all opinions!)

And on the topic of animation, KyoAni is hardly king. They are remarkably good and well-rounded, but I've found BONES, Madhouse, P.A. Works, Sunrise, and Brains Base to meet or exceed their animation standards.

Given the right circumstances, with a great staff and great animators, I can see another studio surpassing KyoAni at adapting a Key work. It hasn't happened yet, but it has happened for manga adaptations in the past. I'm not saying Little Busters will be this, or even that it has a good chance of being like this, but I don't want KyoAni to be viewed as infallible, because they aren't in the least.

Edit: I realize that this post has a lot of thread-derailing potential, so if you have some response that isn't related to Little Busters, J.C. Staff, or VN adaptations, such as the quality of KyoAni's animation, please respond to me via VM or PM. Thanks.

Last edited by Tempester; 2012-07-18 at 13:27.
Old 2012-07-18, 13:08   Link #1104
leokiko

I'm just worried about the director. The Series Composition is being done by Shimada Michiru who made Romeo no Aoi Sora(excellent anime, highly recommended) and the others on the staff are good enough. But the director, Yamakawa Yoshiki, only did 1 notable work: Kill me Baby.

About J.C Staff. I still stand with my opinion, but only regarding KEY works. I don't think J.C Staff is capable of doing better, but, at the same time, they might as well just do a great job if the director manages it.

I'm hardly a fanboy of Kyo-ni though. The only animes I absolutely loved from them were they adaptations of Kannon, Clannad and even Air.

EDIT: Ano Natsu rules[2].
Old 2012-07-18, 13:15   Link #1105
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by leokiko View Post
I'm just worried about the director. The Series Composition is being done by Shimada Michiru who made Romeo no Aoi Sora(excellent anime, highly recommended) and the others on the staff are good enough. But the director, Yamakawa Yoshiki, only did 1 notable work: Kill me Baby.

Agreed! As some of us have already pointed out earlier in the thread, LB fans should hold their breathe even if they are turning blue and purple and all the other colors in a rainbow until the first episode has aired for their viewing pleasure. Yes, be very very worried. Kill me baby! In fact, an average LB hardcore fan should be having a panic attack right this instance.
Old 2012-07-18, 14:04   Link #1106
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Didn't they say that the director was chosen specifically for his work on Hatsukoi Limited and KMB?
Also, uh, I quite liked the latter.
Old 2012-07-18, 19:27   Link #1107
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
It's a sore thumb in his resume though (and I guess the first Idolmaster anime, which I've never seen). Honey and Clover S2, Toradora, Anohana and Ano Natsu were good, with the first three being big commercial and critical hits.
Perhaps, but I think the main idea to take from Railgun is that Nagai sticks to his guns, even if a (sometimes significant) deviation from the original concept is required. Characters are often portrayed a bit differently from the source, and he isn't afraid to insert anime original content.

Key/VisualArt's fans are uptight (even with things like the faithfulness of the artwork) when it comes to adaptation, which makes me wonder whether the LB project would be a good fit for Nagai.

Quote:
Didn't they say that the director was chosen specifically for his work on Hatsukoi Limited and KMB?
Yes, but I don't think they ever elaborated. Technical expertise may be one reason to appoint someone as director. However, work ethic (some directors just sit back and let their subordinates handle everything; others dominate the production process) and organization skills could be reasons too, especially on a large scale, high pressure project with tight deadlines.
Old 2012-07-18, 20:42   Link #1108
Kamiorika

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Agreed! As some of us have already pointed out earlier in the thread, LB fans should hold their breathe even if they are turning blue and purple and all the other colors in a rainbow until the first episode has aired for their viewing pleasure. Yes, be very very worried. Kill me baby! In fact, an average LB hardcore fan should be having a panic attack right this instance.
Well, in the director's defense, it's not like the source material for Kill Me Baby was a masterpiece either. Everyone's got to start somewhere, right?
Old 2012-07-18, 21:17   Link #1109
flack

The standard of this anime should be at the level of Puella Magi Madoka Magica minimum or JC staff will have failed.
Old 2012-07-18, 21:41   Link #1110
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flack View Post
The standard of this anime should be at the level of Puella Magi Madoka Magica minimum or JC staff will have failed.
Wouldn't be hard, Madoka looked like a piece of crap because of Shinbo.
Old 2012-07-18, 21:47   Link #1111
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Wouldn't be hard, Madoka looked like a piece of crap because of Shinbo.
Not just Shinbo, but Shaft in general

Assuming we talking about just visuals here though. Since in terms of substance, Madoka was better than anything Kyoani produced imo

Last edited by Pocari_Sweat; 2012-07-18 at 22:04.
Old 2012-07-18, 22:47   Link #1112
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Looks like we'll see the anime character designs for Komari and Kudryavka in the next Dengeki G's magazine released on 7/30.

There's been a lot of character designs released thus far. I would imagine that a show starting in October would release copyright images in August or September, so we could be looking forward to that if the rumor of a Fall airing is true. Not having read the original VN, I'm looking forward to learning more about this franchise.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-07-18, 23:08   Link #1113
supermegasonic

i already have a good feeling this isnt gonna turn out so well, so imma wait until this is done and than play the VN
Old 2012-07-18, 23:30   Link #1114
OPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
Looks like we'll see the anime character designs for Komari and Kudryavka in the next Dengeki G's magazine released on 7/30.
We already saw those designs.... or are they going to be new desings or do you mean harukas and anigos?
Old 2012-07-18, 23:35   Link #1115
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

the hatred in this thread is just too strong. this actually first time i post in here since studio annoucement

Old 2012-07-18, 23:46   Link #1116
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Quote:
Originally Posted by OPN View Post
We already saw those designs.... or are they going to be new desings or do you mean harukas and anigos?
Ah, it appears I was reading the summary for last month's issue. Sorry.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
Old 2012-07-18, 23:49   Link #1117
supermegasonic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRW View Post
the hatred in this thread is just too strong. this actually first time i post in here since studio annoucement
you should have seen the mal threads, it was literal war there. 2 news announcements threads got closed.
Old 2012-07-18, 23:49   Link #1118
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
the hatred in this thread is just too strong.
It's just because the level of apprehension is too high. KyoAni is a known, proven quantity. With the team assembled for this work, there are many unknowns. Keep in mind that even Key themselves acknowledged this apprehension. But I still fall back to what I said back then that all the people involved in this production are acutely aware of the expectations. I think, if you look at it the other way, this is a big opportunity for all the players involved to prove that "see, with the right determination and resources, people other than KyoAni can adapt these games well". If they pull it off, it's a good thing for everyone (because KyoAni can only do so much). No matter what happens, people will be super-critical of the people involved if they believe it's anything less than what they imagine KyoAni would have/could have done. So being willing to take on that level of challenge is something that isn't to be taken lightly. The fact that this team was chosen by Key even knowing the challenges they face seems like a pretty good endorsement to me. Of course, all we can do anyway is wait and see.
Old 2012-07-19, 00:06   Link #1119
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
It's just because the level of apprehension is too high. KyoAni is a known, proven quantity. With the team assembled for this work, there are many unknowns. Keep in mind that even Key themselves acknowledged this apprehension. But I still fall back to what I said back then that all the people involved in this production are acutely aware of the expectations. I think, if you look at it the other way, this is a big opportunity for all the players involved to prove that "see, with the right determination and resources, people other than KyoAni can adapt these games well". If they pull it off, it's a good thing for everyone (because KyoAni can only do so much). No matter what happens, people will be super-critical of the people involved if they believe it's anything less than what they imagine KyoAni would have/could have done. So being willing to take on that level of challenge is something that isn't to be taken lightly. The fact that this team was chosen by Key even knowing the challenges they face seems like a pretty good endorsement to me. Of course, all we can do anyway is wait and see.
thanks for explaining the situation. but that doesn't change the fact that this thread is....scary. every time i see this thread bump i am thinking "bloody" thing is happening.

just curious is anybody get banned because of this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermegasonic View Post
you should have seen the mal threads, it was literal war there. 2 news announcements threads got closed.
i never trust MAL forum ever. there is always hating in every anime

Old 2012-07-19, 00:11   Link #1120
supermegasonic

Quote:

i never trust MAL forum ever. there is always hating in every anime
stick to episode discussions, there the tame ones.

Tags
anime game, little busters