AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 12 Rating
Perfect 10 63 50.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 30.16%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 10.32%
7 out of 10 : Good 7 5.56%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 0.79%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 4 3.17%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-27, 07:28   Link #101
chc

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast_within View Post
i downloaded and installed mirc...
Have no idea what is going on. but i'm in a room with lots of people
a chanserv that keeps +1'ing
Nobody who speaks
and in the title of the chat sth about lucky star 11.
New to IRC eh? Sounds like you expected discussions take place 24/7 on IRC.
Well, idling/lurking is what mostly happening on IRC.
Although the internet is global, and there's bound to be someone awake, online and watching your lines at any given moment, there's no obligation to reply. You'll learn the ways of lurkin' *smirk*
(Oh well, for most people IRC is a thing of the past, since DDL sites and BT have become a more common and convenient way of obtaining releases.)

Furthermore, at the time of your visit to #a.f.k. it was 7am EST (1pm your local time); most Americans were still asleep. This alone decreased your chances of bumping into active discussion partners.
The people you might have encountered on IRC at that time were most likely originating from Asia / Oceania and Europe.

Quote:
What's the deal with mirc? don't these guys have a website or sth?
Lastly, mIRC is one of many clients/programs you use to access IRC. It does have a website at http://www.mirc.com/
The fansub group a.f.k. may not have a website, but they do have a torrent page at scarywater and their irc channel.
The lack of a web presence does not make a.f.k. a fansub group of lesser standard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadare View Post
They just idle there because most of the releases are first released in IRC then torrent.

The +'s are what we call "voices" It gives priority downloads over non-voiced people, and voices are the only people who can speak when the chan is set to moderated.
I think outcast_within misread +1 and meant chanserv constantly adjusting the chan limit. ( e.g. * ChanServ sets mode: +l 175 ). This is a protective measure, btw.
Nice to see a fellow IRC user

Last edited by chc; 2007-06-27 at 08:00. Reason: added reaction to nadare
Old 2007-06-27, 08:17   Link #102
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chc View Post
New to IRC eh? Sounds like you expected discussions take place 24/7 on IRC.
Well, idling/lurking is what mostly happening on IRC.
Although the internet is global, and there's bound to be someone awake, online and watching your lines at any given moment, there's no obligation to reply. You'll learn the ways of lurkin' *smirk*
(Oh well, for most people IRC is a thing of the past, since DDL sites and BT have become a more common and convenient way of obtaining releases.)

Furthermore, at the time of your visit to #a.f.k. it was 7am EST (1pm your local time); most Americans were still asleep. This alone decreased your chances of bumping into active discussion partners.
The people you might have encountered on IRC at that time were most likely originating from Asia / Oceania and Europe.

Lastly, mIRC is one of many clients/programs you use to access IRC. It does have a website at http://www.mirc.com/
The fansub group a.f.k. may not have a website, but they do have a torrent page at scarywater and their irc channel.
The lack of a web presence does not make a.f.k. a fansub group of lesser standard...

I think outcast_within misread +1 and meant chanserv constantly adjusting the chan limit. ( e.g. * ChanServ sets mode: +l 175 ). This is a protective measure, btw.
Nice to see a fellow IRC user
1. I will learn the ways of lurking. I feel like the utter noob shouting around in a room full of people who don't say anything.
2. The lack of a.f.k's webpage doesn't make them of a lesser standard. I just like reading up on the people and how they are like. Kiss-sub very friendly people. TRIAD Very strange cynical people.
3. It's possible to get the lucky star eps through mirc? hmm well so far torrents have been my friend and i think they continue to be still. (But i will check the link below out. Thank you.
4. i heard some guy talking on mirc about rss gonna do some research in that.
5. i did expect more people to talk on mirc as the reason i installed mirc was i read that people where spinning circles there in anticipation of the next ep. Maybe they do, but they just don't type about it.
Old 2007-06-27, 08:18   Link #103
lftwgr

Quote:
i downloaded and installed mirc...
Have no idea what is going on. but i'm in a room with lots of people
a chanserv that keeps +1'ing
Nobody who speaks
and in the title of the chat sth about lucky star 11.

What's the deal with mirc? don't these guys have a website or sth?
Hi, you might want to visit this link for a primer on how to set up mirc and start DCCing those packets! Hope its as useful for you as it was for me.
Old 2007-06-27, 08:19   Link #104
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

I guess I'll post a video to ZARD's Makenaide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmZcEqZk1A.

And a more recent performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh4ofCzaGj4.

Time to listen to my CDs...
Old 2007-06-27, 08:39   Link #105
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willen View Post
I guess I'll post a video to ZARD's Makenaide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzmZcEqZk1A.

And a more recent performance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eh4ofCzaGj4.

Time to listen to my CDs...
i'm watching your ava and i'm trying really hard to find a pantsu. But there is none. the white is from the inside of the skirt right?
Old 2007-06-27, 11:32   Link #106
archanfels

Watching this episode made me realize that I'm not as Otaku-ish as I thought... I had to google/wiki some of the stuffs you guys are talking about @.@

(Although as a diehard One Piece fan I did pick up a Nico Robin cosplayer in the "Tsukasa asking for direction" scene, which many prolly would miss but made me happy)

Good episode nonetheless, lots of Kagamin goodness = I'm sold. Although the biggest laugh I got comes from Akira's "appearance"
Old 2007-06-27, 13:59   Link #107
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
i'm watching your ava and i'm trying really hard to find a pantsu. But there is none. the white is from the inside of the skirt right?
That's what I love about that brief scene in the episode... Everyone expects to see a panty shot right there, but there is none; I found it pleasantly surprising (it's kind of teasing us, right).
Old 2007-06-27, 15:43   Link #108
outcast_within
pita ten pyjama!

Well i got banned on the a.f.k. irc channel

Things i learned about Mirc today.

It isn't Mirc it's IRC and some people hate people who call it mirc.
Around 200 people sit their in the chatroom mostly idling. They idle in anticipation of an anouncement. Or just to show their respect to the subbing group.
One of the operators is named kanna, i saw this name also on the triad forums. Maybe he works in both groups.
You should never PM one of the ops. I did cos i thought it would be a nice way to part. But i found out some people can get kicked and get back. And some people just get banned
Oh and if you type !list you get lots of friekie stuff.
Lucky star 12 had some Raw problems. They wanted some specific raws and they weren't out yet or sth

oh yeah this one guy death13 he liked abreviations a lot. like stfu.
and g.t.f.o Great teacher for onizuka probably

Last edited by outcast_within; 2007-06-27 at 16:47.
Old 2007-06-27, 16:11   Link #109
Crisu
ISML Kaichō
*IT Support

[16:02:55] * Xeperu (~xeep@cc983728-a.deven1.ov.home.nl) has joined #a.f.k.
[16:03:03] <Xeperu> Evening
[16:03:45] <Xeperu> I am here as a representative of #animenfo to ask when Lucky Star 12 will be done.
[16:04:04] <@bayoab> delayed till friday now

I'm not sure if he was completely serious or just saying so to get the "press" off a.f.k.'s backs.

But the fact that Anime Expo is this weekend probably has an effect.

< /or so I've heard >
Old 2007-06-27, 16:16   Link #110
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Well i got banned on the a.f.k. irc channel

Things i learned about Mirc today.

It isn't Mirc it's IRC and some people hate people who call it mirc.
Around 200 people sit their in the chatroom mostly idling. They idle in anticipation of an anouncement. Or just to show their respect to the subbing group.
One of the operators is named kanna, i saw this name also on the triad forums. Maybe he works in both groups.
You should never PM one of the ops. I did cos i thought it would be a nice way to part. But i found out some people can get kicked and get back. And some people just get banned
Oh and if you type !list you get lots of friekie stuff.
Lucky star 12 had some Raw problems. They wanted some specific raws and they weren't out yet or sth
That's pretty much IRC for you in general, people tend to idle for a reason. That's why I never really use it as even talking in a channel is dangerous unless you have voice or run the channel, pretty much anything can get you banned and called a name on top of things. IRC culture does not really help new people out much, they tend to just ban them from what I've learned from my experiences. The best thing to do is ask somebody who looks friendly for advice via PM, read the rules and don't bother talking in the actual forum (Seriously), just use commands get the file and get the hell out of there as fast as possible.

It shouldn't be permanent though so you might as well try again. Overall though I would just wait for the torrent as you won't have to wait in a queue and deal with kicks, bans and commands.
Old 2007-06-27, 16:42   Link #111
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

OK, Kaioshin, you definitely frequented the wrong channels.

My advice would be to idle for a bit and read the conversations that go on in there till you've got an idea of how things are done. Don't neglect to read the topic for rules.

Also, for more IRC practice, find the channel of a webcomic, if you're into those. A small one (less than 20 users). Those are pretty friendly.

edit: Oh, yeah, and do not assume that people like being PMed by strangers. They generally don't.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2007-06-27 at 17:24.
Old 2007-06-27, 17:15   Link #112
Zappster

Yes. I would have to agree with Anh_Minh. I've been using IRC for a while now and I've not had many problems. If you read the topics, rules etc... you should be fine. All the channels I'm an op in I very rarely ban people and I usually try to help where possible. I've also received help from people in my time in getting accustomed to it. A lot of the channels I'm usually in are quite lenient but as ever people do differ and you are right in saying that you can sometimes get banned for looking at someone in the wrong way as it were. Personally I avoid those types of channels and fortunately for me those experiences have been few and far between.
Old 2007-06-27, 18:06   Link #113
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
OK, Kaioshin, you definitely frequented the wrong channels.

My advice would be to idle for a bit and read the conversations that go on in there till you've got an idea of how things are done. Don't neglect to read the topic for rules.

Also, for more IRC practice, find the channel of a webcomic, if you're into those. A small one (less than 20 users). Those are pretty friendly.

edit: Oh, yeah, and do not assume that people like being PMed by strangers. They generally don't.
Yeah, I've heard from a friend that his Manga related channels are pretty liberal and friendly. I fully admit that by chance I stumbled on what are generally regarded to be two of the worst channels for open ended discussion and it has forever turned me off from IRC on top of finding it not to be all that useful, but I also took another thing away from that, if the distributor doesn't have a website, but has an IRC Channel, there's probably a reason. Tread with caution. However, what you said about the PM thing is true, just don't do it.

To Outcast_Within, this is probably why you got the ban, it seems extreme and it probably is, but it's also one of the things that are usually listed in the rules.
Old 2007-06-27, 18:18   Link #114
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

There are like, five or ten questions you never ask in most IRC channels (because they've heard them 100000 times and are sick to death of it). Do some googling and wiki on IRC etiquette before entering and you'll be more successful. Also remember that IRC chan are like tribes: each one has its own set of taboos which if violated means they feast on your bits.

That IRC snippet is interesting.... I'm getting this odd feeling that AnimeExpo may spurt out some licensing agreements that leaves sub watchers moaning and rending their garments.
Old 2007-06-27, 18:21   Link #115
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
There are like, five or ten questions you never ask in most IRC channels (because they've heard them 100000 times and are sick to death of it). Do some googling and wiki on IRC etiquette before entering and you'll be more successful. Also remember that IRC chan are like tribes: each one has its own set of taboos which if violated means they feast on your bits.

That IRC snippet is interesting.... I'm getting this odd feeling that AnimeExpo may spurt out some licensing agreements that leaves sub watchers moaning and rending their garments.
You think Lucky Star is licensed then.... hmmmm.... could be. If it is hopefully they don't try and find Aya Hirano and go "WHHHHHYYYYYYY?! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?!" and have her go "ARA?" "WHHHYYYY" "KYAAAAAA!".
Old 2007-06-27, 19:53   Link #116
arias

In IRC, you are always the channel's operators' bitch. And people wonder nowadays why most people merely "park" in the channels and don't talk at all..
Old 2007-06-27, 21:00   Link #117
lftwgr

Rule of thumb:

1. Lurk long enough to get the list (!list) of bots that host the packet

2. Request that packet you want

3. Get your file and get out of there soon as it's done

4. Don't pester the chanops or annoy the subbers with requests of when the next episode is done. They're fans and they do have a life outside fansubbing.

That way, you don't stay long enough to get booted or worse still banned. If you want to be friendly, there are non-xdcc chans where fans gather to chat about anime in general.
Old 2007-06-27, 23:49   Link #118
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

The philosophy under the hood is probably that if you can grasp the meaning of IRC and get as far as entering a channel, you are expected to self-help and research your way to get what you want instead of blatantly asking. After all, the regular users got there on their own and so should you.

In addition, the upper echelons of a channel tend to think the place as they own little private discussion room, sort of an inner membership that no one else has. Most of them probably aren't too happy to have the channel flooded with people they don't know talking about things outside their interests.

IRC is pretty close to real life conversation if you think about it. Imagine a channel as this little circle of friends talking to each other, sometimes while serving other people. They probably get irritated if their customers get too noisy, or if a complete stranger just walks in to them and interrupts their conversation with an irrelevant subject. You probably should stand there and listen to them for a while before actually saying something.
Old 2007-06-28, 02:19   Link #119
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

Quote:
~
oh yeah this one guy death13 he liked abreviations a lot. like stfu.
and g.t.f.o Great teacher for onizuka probably
I bear bad news, those terms are vulgarities. I do not know the actual context in which they were typed out, but you may want to review your conversation again with that fellow again.
Spoiler for stfu:

Spoiler for g.t.f.o:

Cheers.
Old 2007-06-28, 02:33   Link #120
FGSFDS
This is FGSFDSPARTAAA

'STFU' is more commonly seen in my country then 'GTFO', which I very hardly see in use here.

For god's sake why can't they spell it out in full?
Closed Thread