AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-03-29, 14:05   Link #21
wraith985

Send a message via AIM to wraith985
F-B has been bouncing around that idea for a while now; if there's interest in it, let us know, and we'll probably end up doing that as well.
Old 2004-03-29, 14:44   Link #22
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
Wow! Everyone look at this!

http://www.kadokawa.co.jp/dvd/HP/hinotori/

So there is a DVD-BOX for Hi No Tori with the Chapter of the Phoenix, Chapter of Yamato and Chapter of Space/Universe released!

I... want... it... now...
I'm so with you on that one. I'm definately gonna go buy these as soon as payday comes around. Cause right now I'm broke.
Old 2004-03-29, 18:04   Link #23
Crimzon
Concrete Cowboy

Send a message via AIM to Crimzon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamless
it continues into the next episode. Actually the first chapter spans four episodes. It's shown here

http://www3.nhk.or.jp/anime/hinotori/story.html

Chapter of Dawn : episode 1-4
Chapter of Resurrection : episode 5-6
Chapter of Monstrosity : episdoe 7
Chapter of the Sun : episode 8-11
Cahpter of the Future : episode 12-13

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I'm honestly surprised I've never heard of this before... or if I have it must have been in passing for me to forget this quickly. As far as I've been able to read now, there was a movie that came out years ago, and it seems a couple chapters of the manga made it to dvd (as your next post stated). Is that about it?
Old 2004-03-29, 23:33   Link #24
Spaceghost

Yeah, i'm also very confused, I have never heard of this, I have been looking for a mature, in-depth anime to replace Juuni Kokki.

Should we see the movie first before this new series?
Old 2004-03-30, 00:23   Link #25
Renato_kun

Send a message via ICQ to Renato_kun Send a message via MSN to Renato_kun
I will download it as soon as I can
Wanna try it...
Old 2004-03-30, 13:48   Link #26
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith985
F-B has been bouncing around that idea for a while now; if there's interest in it, let us know, and we'll probably end up doing that as well.
I'm interested! Considering that the manga is out in English and, as a7m4 said, this new TV series will generate hype (even/especially if its licensed), there should be more interest out there. Osamu Tezuka is making a comeback, with Astro Boy on Cartoon Network and everything (and voted one of the best new anime to air in Japan last year).
Old 2004-03-30, 23:23   Link #27
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
All I have to say is Osamu Tezuka KICKS!!
Old 2004-03-30, 23:29   Link #28
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

hmm... watched the first 6 episodes... I really can't decide whether to like this anime or hate it now... I mean, it is Hi No Tori anime, so it's really hard to hate it, but then also because it is Hi No Tori anime, it's really hard to like it... I just wish I had never read the manga before, and watched the anime first then manga. This anime is kinda like Berserk anime to the Berserk manga... I guess it's at best should only be described as "an advertisement for the manga"...

oh, and the first 6 episodes are out in chinese fansub, for your info...
Old 2004-04-01, 00:50   Link #29
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Ah, that would explain how you got to see them before us. Hmm. I'm still waiting on episode 2 in english subs.
Old 2004-04-01, 04:31   Link #30
wao
OK.

1. I wanna link to the Chinese fansuuuuubs! (Yes, I CAN read Chinese! I learn it in school.)

2. I KNOW they have this out in Kinokuniya. Some time ago they were advertising it like mad. I am going to do anything to get this manga.

3. Wow.... hi-def looks so goooood..... *____*

4. So what are all the chapters (in publishing order) of the manga and... do the 3 movies and OVAs (I didn't even know there were any!!! O_O) have anything to do with it too?
Old 2004-04-01, 06:55   Link #31
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

There is a total of 13 chapters planned, but only 12 chapters finished... Tezuka-sensei couldn't finish the last chapter before he passed away... so we can never know what he had in store for us now, and what's the true ending to the greatest manga ever

in publishing order
1. Chapter of Dawn
2. Chapter of the Future
3. Chapter of Yamato
4. Chapter of the Space/Universe
5. Chapter of the Phoenix
6. Chapter of Resurrection
7. Chapter of the Hagoromo/Feathered Dress
8. Chapter of Home-Watching
9. Chapter of the Tumultuous Times
10. Chapter of Life
11. Chapter of Monstrosity/Aliens
12. Chapter of the Sun
13. Chapter of the Earth/Present (unfinished)

Chronologically speaking, the story in the Chapter of Dawn is the farthest past, while the story in the Chapter of the Future is the farthest future. and each following chapter alternates between past and future, gradually converging to the present, and supposedly finishing in a grand finale in the Chapter of the Earth/Present which is set in present time.

I don't know if I can post the bt links here, so check your PM

Last edited by dreamless; 2004-04-01 at 10:54.
Old 2004-04-01, 10:34   Link #32
marin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennwenn
with Astro Boy on Cartoon Network and everything
Astro Boy is on Cartoon Network?

The US Cartoon Network?

I checked the schedule, I didn't find it...
Old 2004-04-01, 14:28   Link #33
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Check the toonami lineup.
Old 2004-04-01, 17:22   Link #34
marin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Raiden
Check the toonami lineup.
http://schedule.cartoonnetwork.com/s...4&timeZone=EST

5:00 p.m. Dragon Ball
See All Showings Krillin's Frantic Attack

5:30 p.m. Dragon Ball Z
See All Showings Mysterious Youth

6:00 p.m. Dragon Ball Z
See All Showings Another Super Saiyan

6:30 p.m. Dragon Ball GT
See All Showings Source of Rilldo's Power
Old 2004-04-01, 18:35   Link #35
Lord Raiden
Uber Coffee for da win!

Hmm. Ok, I stand corrected. Hmm.
Old 2004-04-02, 02:52   Link #36
marin

So what's this we were saying about a Tezuka revival again?
Old 2004-04-02, 18:15   Link #37
jennwenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by marin
So what's this we were saying about a Tezuka revival again?
No, Astro Boy is DEFINITELY playing on Cartoon Network. It just hasn't aired yet. Check Toonami's watch section and you can watch a trailer for Astro Boy. (As I stop the website from crashing IE on my computer, I'll link to it.) Anyway, originally it was bought by Sony and has aired on Kids WB.

On KidsWB, it will begin reairing (they took it off for a while) on April 17th at 3 PM eastern time. Info from Sony's Astro Boy website:
http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/kids/astroboy/

EDIT:
Here is CN's information on Astroboy, they do have TV airing rights. (How two channels can have it at the same time, I don't know.)
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/watch/...boy/index.html

Astro Boy is also airing on Australian CN, and possibly on some other overseas CN broadcasts I can't find right now.

What I don't have news on is the state of a subbed, uncut DVD release. I assume Sony will handle it...

Last edited by jennwenn; 2004-04-02 at 18:32.
Old 2004-04-03, 00:19   Link #38
wao
OK.

Can't wait to watch the second episode. But I have to wait for my mum to go to sleep first...

I found out I can buy the Hi no Tori manga in Chinese from Kinokuniya! BUT... they ran out of individual tankoubon >:\ So if I want to get it now I have to save up $82 to get all 22 at once. I think I'd actually do that. Just need to save up.... mmhmm!
Lessee, 20 dollars a week means for 4 weeks if I don't use my money at all, I can buy it... and I'll just get 2$ from somewhere :P

Wonderful! I can't wait to read it. The fact that it's an unfinished symphony sort of thing is also quite interesting.
Old 2004-04-03, 00:47   Link #39
crumja
AnimeONE Do-It-All

I think firebird would have been a more accuate title than phoenix and would still sound better than bird of fire.

I'm also disappointed that the series won't convery as much of Tezuka's meaning of life. Still, the anime itself is a self standing series that has individual stories. Sure, commercialization is important because that's the point of making the anime, but I'm not so disappointed that the anime chopped off some stuff from the manga because that's what I expect from animes now. It's either that they cut certain parts short or that they run for 150+ episodes.
Old 2004-04-05, 06:22   Link #40
marin

Wow, they really make a bigger deal about the slaughter of the village, apparently everyone else objected to it so it's entirely Queen Himiko's fault. Whatever.

And I really do kinda miss the cartoonishness of the original manga - the disney-style and student protestor wolves and such. It gave the characters a kind of a charm they're missing here.

And it's kinda odd to see there being no blood at all, I mean I know they weren't going to do the cartoonish decapitations and such, but seeing Saruta whack the wolves with a sword as if they were being hit with sticks is just kinda odd.

But it's still pure Tezuka storytelling power, and that's what counts.
Closed Thread